PDA

View Full Version : Cat with 6 legs and a gremlin cat

Beau Jess
March 30th 05, 03:18 PM
Cat with 6 legs!!
http://www.petfinder.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=57275

More cats with extra limbs
http://www.messybeast.com/freak-conjoined.htm

Gremlin cat
http://www.livejournal.com/community/kittypix/5407819.html

Karen
March 30th 05, 04:35 PM
I wonder what happened to him. IF they operated. How he is doing. Did he
find a home? Where he came from? etc.

"Beau Jess" > wrote in message
> Cat with 6 legs!!
> http://www.petfinder.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=57275
>
> More cats with extra limbs
> http://www.messybeast.com/freak-conjoined.htm
>
> Gremlin cat
> http://www.livejournal.com/community/kittypix/5407819.html

FD701
March 31st 05, 12:59 AM
Ok, I love cats, but the Gremlin cat ? I am glad he found a good home.... I
prefer mine with fur.

Shadow Walker
March 31st 05, 03:56 PM
Why amputate the legs? I saw nothing wrong with them. They didn't seem to
pose a health risk.

It seems they just didn't like he was born with extra paws to love with.

Shadow Walker

"Beau Jess" > wrote in message
> Cat with 6 legs!!
> http://www.petfinder.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=57275
>
> More cats with extra limbs
> http://www.messybeast.com/freak-conjoined.htm
>
> Gremlin cat
> http://www.livejournal.com/community/kittypix/5407819.html

Sarah Hotdesking
March 31st 05, 06:37 PM
"Shadow Walker" > wrote in message
> Why amputate the legs? I saw nothing wrong with them. They didn't seem to
> pose a health risk.

Actually they pose a safety risk, at least the extra whole limb does.

> It seems they just didn't like he was born with extra paws to love with.

Trouble is, if the extra whole leg was just hanging, or even imitating the
normal leg (which is what usually happens - either inert dangling or mirros
the other limb) instead of being under separate voluntary control, then it
would get caught on things when the cat did normal cat things. The extra
paw could also get badly caught up in stuff. It's okay to leave dangling
extra limbs on a sheep or cow as they stay on the ground, but pretty
dangerous on something that climbs.

--
Sarah H
Messybeast: http://www.messybeast.com

Shadow Walker
April 2nd 05, 08:05 AM
I just don't see it as a reason if the cat is kept indoors. I could see it
as a problem for an outdoor cat but most rescues do not adopt without an
indoor clause. The cat dose not look like a kitten and if it has lived all
this time with those limbs, while living outside, then it's plainly a
cosmetic thing. The limbs did not look that bad nor did they look dead,
dying or hairless The cat even looked well groomed. The cat already will be
adopted out with special needs so why not leave its limbs, even extras,
intact?.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

"Sarah Hotdesking" > wrote in
message ...
> "Shadow Walker" > wrote in message
> > Why amputate the legs? I saw nothing wrong with them. They didn't seem
> > pose a health risk.
>
> Actually they pose a safety risk, at least the extra whole limb does.
>

> > It seems they just didn't like he was born with extra paws to love with.
>
> Trouble is, if the extra whole leg was just hanging, or even imitating the
> normal leg (which is what usually happens - either inert dangling or
mirros
> the other limb) instead of being under separate voluntary control, then it
> would get caught on things when the cat did normal cat things. The extra
> paw could also get badly caught up in stuff. It's okay to leave dangling
> extra limbs on a sheep or cow as they stay on the ground, but pretty
> dangerous on something that climbs.
>
> --
> Sarah H
> Messybeast: http://www.messybeast.com
> Dragonqueen:
> http://www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk/humor-site/medical-acronyms.htm
> Doctors' acronyms decoded

April 2nd 05, 10:47 AM
It's still a problem with indoor cats. Your assertion that most
shelters only adopt to indoor cats is an incorrect overgeneralisation.
The cat may turn out to be unsuited to indoor life especially if it
grew up outdoors. It may have been handled under light sedation for
photos. Even in the paranoid USA, there's a growing realisaiton that
realise that cats need outdoor access in order to avoid behavioural
problems or that some cats are temperamentally unsuited to indoor
living and need to go somewhere that outdoor access can be provided.
Indoor cats can get caught climbing curtains, soft furnishings, blinds
and even carpeted stairs. it could end up with someone who seemed nice
enough, but who then turned the cat into a media sideshow. You've
also overlooked the theft aspect - people like to make money out of
exhibiting unusual animals or simply owning an anomaly and there are
plenty of cases of unusual cats being stolen and when tracked down, the
animal was simply poisoned (cases on record for winged cats). If it
needs to end up as a barn cat, the risk of theft or media circus is
even greater.

CatNipped
April 2nd 05, 04:16 PM
"Diane L. Schirf" > wrote in message
link.net...
> In article om>,
> wrote:
>
> > Even in the paranoid USA, there's a growing realisaiton that
> > realise that cats need outdoor access in order to avoid behavioural
> > problems or that some cats are temperamentally unsuited to indoor
> > living and need to go somewhere that outdoor access can be provided.
>
> Really? I'm somehow missing this groundswell of opinion. ;)

I know, we're just swamped with people here in the US who are proponents of
allowing their beloved companions outside to be mangled by cars, mauled by
dogs, poisoned by neighbors' rat poison or poorly disposed of antifreeze,
infected with diseases, bitten by rabid raccoons, eaten by coyotes, wolves,
cougars, owls, and tortured by sickos, etc., etc.

Funny, I've had indoor cats all of my life and have never experienced any
"behavioural problems" in any of them - *EVER*. I think the only
"behavioural problems" we're *reallly* talking about here are those annoying
bahaviours like actually have to interact and play with your cats, and
having to go to the effort of scooping a litter box. If I were too lazy to
do that I might consider allowing my cats to face all the dangers of outside
too!

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> http://www.slywy.com/

Mary
April 2nd 05, 07:45 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> It's still a problem with indoor cats. Your assertion that most
> shelters only adopt to indoor cats is an incorrect overgeneralization.
> The cat may turn out to be unsuited to indoor life especially if it
> grew up outdoors.

Every cat I have ever had (three as an adult) had grown up as strays.
Not one had any problem becoming indoor cats. In fact they seemed
relieved to be safe.

FD701
April 3rd 05, 02:17 AM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> It's still a problem with indoor cats. Your assertion that most
>> shelters only adopt to indoor cats is an incorrect overgeneralization.
>> The cat may turn out to be unsuited to indoor life especially if it
>> grew up outdoors.
>
> Every cat I have ever had (three as an adult) had grown up as strays.
> Not one had any problem becoming indoor cats. In fact they seemed
> relieved to be safe.

I bet those cats were relieved to be safe, but the world out there isnt half
as dangerous as you would like to believe. I have had 2 cats and both
are/were allowed to go outside. They do absolutley fine. I bet our kids are
also glad, that they dont have to cycle to gym-club in all weathers anymore,
like we used to. And at the age of 14 we send them to obesity-camp and at 16
we pick them up from drug-rehab, as they never learnt about life.....
Cats arent fragile little creatures who cant defend themselves. They are
made to climb and hunt. I do play with my cat, when he feels like it, but he
much rather chases mice (and serves them as my breakfast). They are faster
and more of a challenge.
Now this isnt a rant against people who do decide to keep their cats indoors
(and if you cat has been living indoors for the better part of their life,
please don't just let it out.... ). If it works for you and your cat, then
who am I to say what you should or shouldnt do ? But for me it doesnt work.
I like the fact that my cat is free to leave me any time he wants, but he
decides to come back every day. And he even brings me presents (hmmm, dead
mice for breakfast ;-) ).So he is obviously happy here. I dont force my cat
go outside. If he would want to, he could stay in here all day and night.
But he doesnt (unless it is raining). So I let him. Why not ?

Mary
April 3rd 05, 02:32 AM
"FD701" > wrote in message
k...

> "Mary" > wrote in message
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> It's still a problem with indoor cats. Your assertion that most
> >> shelters only adopt to indoor cats is an incorrect overgeneralization.
> >> The cat may turn out to be unsuited to indoor life especially if it
> >> grew up outdoors.
> >
> > Every cat I have ever had (three as an adult) had grown up as strays.
> > Not one had any problem becoming indoor cats. In fact they seemed
> > relieved to be safe.
>
> I bet those cats were relieved to be safe, but the world out there isnt
half
> as dangerous as you would like to believe. I have had 2 cats and both
> are/were allowed to go outside. They do absolutley fine.

Right so your point seems to be that the cats are safe until you have
had the experience of finding them with their guts all over the pavement.
Once you do you know that the "world out there" is indeed very
dangerous.

Shadow Walker
April 7th 05, 06:19 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> It's still a problem with indoor cats. Your assertion that most
> shelters only adopt to indoor cats is an incorrect overgeneralisation.

ok, I am only stating what is true for my area. No shelters here adopt to
outside homes. You have to sign a contract that the animal is not to be used
as a barn cat and varies other things. If the animal doesn't work out you
have to bring it back.

> The cat may turn out to be unsuited to indoor life especially if it
> grew up outdoors. It may have been handled under light sedation for
> photos.

I have only run into one cat that was unsuited for *my* house and I placed
her in a suitable indoor only home. She didn't like it here and I had her
since she was 8 weeks old. What does sedation have to do with anything? If
you mean the cat might be wild then the cat should not be adopted out until
it is tamed. Look there are people born with extra appendages and they do
not always cut them off unless they hamper daily life. This cat looks mostly
grown and has not had a problem and should be allowed to keep all of its
limbs. If you have a cat you should child proof your home. Children do just
about the same damage as cats. So if you have things kids can get tangled in
then cats can get tangled in them as well. I'm sorry I baby-sit and have my
own child and I had to childproof from the ground up. Children don't just
stay on the ground they climb to.

Even in the paranoid USA, there's a growing realisaiton that
> realise that cats need outdoor access in order to avoid behavioural
> problems or that some cats are temperamentally unsuited to indoor
> living and need to go somewhere that outdoor access can be provided.

No it doesn't have to be provided. That's a personal decision. I have had
cats that were indoor outdoor and none are here today. I had 1 that made it
to 8 years old and was killed by my neighbor who hit her with his truck. I
have cats now and all three are indoor only and they are happy.

> Indoor cats can get caught climbing curtains, soft furnishings, blinds
> and even carpeted stairs.

So does that mean we should remove their legs? Childproof !

it could end up with someone who seemed nice
> enough, but who then turned the cat into a media sideshow. You've
> also overlooked the theft aspect - people like to make money out of
> exhibiting unusual animals or simply owning an anomaly and there are
> plenty of cases of unusual cats being stolen and when tracked down, the
> animal was simply poisoned (cases on record for winged cats).
If it
> needs to end up as a barn cat, the risk of theft or media circus is
> even greater.

No, if you show the cat as a media side show its a breach of contract. It
will get back to the SPCA and the animal will be removed. As for theft If
it's kept indoors someone would have to break into the house to get it.

Shadow Walker