PDA

View Full Version : odor question

CatWoman
April 15th 05, 06:55 PM
Hi I recently found your newsgroup. It looks great with the exception
of a few trollers (don't they have lives?)

I just added two more feral cats to my home. I was fostering & couldn't
give them up. No more fostering for me as this makes five cats. I was
quite worried that it might not work out but they all get along & I've
purchased two litter lockers which are great. My only problem is the
ammonia smell from the urine is very potent. I use Tidy Cat crystals
which I like but does anybody know if something can be done to reduce
that smell?

Thanks for any insight.
Di

Ted Davis
April 15th 05, 09:28 PM
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:55:06 GMT, CatWoman >
wrote:

>Hi I recently found your newsgroup. It looks great with the exception
>of a few trollers (don't they have lives?)
>
>I just added two more feral cats to my home. I was fostering & couldn't
>give them up. No more fostering for me as this makes five cats. I was
>quite worried that it might not work out but they all get along & I've
>purchased two litter lockers which are great. My only problem is the
>ammonia smell from the urine is very potent. I use Tidy Cat crystals
>which I like but does anybody know if something can be done to reduce
>that smell?
>
>Thanks for any insight.

At least one pan per indoor cat, cleaned daily or even twice a day.
If you can deal with the dust, a clumping clay litter works well.
There are twelve cats living with me, four or five of whom seem not to
know how to do their business outside (24/7 cat flap access) and my
six pans of clumping clay litter seem to work well. Actually, I am
bothered more by the stench of the perfume many brands of litter use
in an attempt to cover up the odor.

Odor seems to be worse in the summer, but the room with the pans has
an exhaust fan - a *large* exhaust fan - and an openable window, and
can be closed off from the house (cat flap in that door too).

--
T.E.D. )

Judy
April 16th 05, 04:38 AM
"CatWoman" > wrote in message
> Hi I recently found your newsgroup. It looks great with the exception of
> a few trollers (don't they have lives?)
>
> I just added two more feral cats to my home. I was fostering & couldn't
> give them up. No more fostering for me as this makes five cats. I was
> quite worried that it might not work out but they all get along & I've
> purchased two litter lockers which are great. My only problem is the
> ammonia smell from the urine is very potent. I use Tidy Cat crystals
> which I like but does anybody know if something can be done to reduce that
> smell?
>
> Thanks for any insight.
> Di

How many cats are in your home using these two litter locker things? How
often are they maintained and what type of food are they eating?

Catherine via CatKB.com
April 18th 05, 12:54 AM
Are the cats neutered? Urine from unneutered male cats is horrible
smelling compared to that of a neutered male cat.

CatWoman
April 19th 05, 01:58 PM
There are five cats using three boxes, two upstairs, one downstairs.
The litter locker is used to scoop the poop & it locks away odor instead
of several bags in garbage throughout the week. One refill last ~two
weeks. PETMATE makes them.
They are all spayed and neutered. I'm into the feral cat thingy. I'll
look into the different litter options.

Thanks for the responses.
Di

Judy wrote:
> "CatWoman" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi I recently found your newsgroup. It looks great with the exception of
>>a few trollers (don't they have lives?)
>>
>>I just added two more feral cats to my home. I was fostering & couldn't
>>give them up. No more fostering for me as this makes five cats. I was
>>quite worried that it might not work out but they all get along & I've
>>purchased two litter lockers which are great. My only problem is the
>>ammonia smell from the urine is very potent. I use Tidy Cat crystals
>>which I like but does anybody know if something can be done to reduce that
>>smell?
>>
>>Thanks for any insight.
>>Di
>

> How many cats are in your home using these two litter locker things? How
> often are they maintained and what type of food are they eating?

April 27th 05, 03:08 AM
testing with Google