PDA

View Full Version : cat acting weird

Olivia Mark
April 21st 05, 11:09 PM
My cat has started peeing in the corner near our front door. She's very
old, so I don't exactly know if this is an age thing or what. The simple
solution is to take her to the vet, but my budget is super tight and she
seems healthy in all other aspects, so I am thinking maybe just move the
litter box there. Here again that means dealing with litter on the carpets,
but that's got to be better than pee right? I really don't know what to
think. Anyone?

Mary
April 21st 05, 11:31 PM
"Olivia Mark" > wrote in message
m...
> My cat has started peeing in the corner near our front door. She's very
> old, so I don't exactly know if this is an age thing or what. The simple
> solution is to take her to the vet, but my budget is super tight and she
> seems healthy in all other aspects, so I am thinking maybe just move the
> litter box there. Here again that means dealing with litter on the
carpets,
> but that's got to be better than pee right? I really don't know what to
> think. Anyone?

She might have a UTI and she might be in pain. Please take her to the
vet.

Cathy Friedmann
April 21st 05, 11:42 PM
"Olivia Mark" > wrote in message
m...
> My cat has started peeing in the corner near our front door. She's very
> old, so I don't exactly know if this is an age thing or what. The simple
> solution is to take her to the vet, but my budget is super tight and she
> seems healthy in all other aspects, so I am thinking maybe just move the
> litter box there. Here again that means dealing with litter on the
carpets,
> but that's got to be better than pee right? I really don't know what to
> think. Anyone?

I think that you need to bring her to the vet anyway, in case it's a medical
issue.

Cathy

Mary
April 22nd 05, 01:14 AM
"Cathy Friedmann" > wrote in message

> "Olivia Mark" > wrote in message
> m...
> > My cat has started peeing in the corner near our front door. She's very
> > old, so I don't exactly know if this is an age thing or what. The simple
> > solution is to take her to the vet, but my budget is super tight and she
> > seems healthy in all other aspects, so I am thinking maybe just move the
> > litter box there. Here again that means dealing with litter on the
> carpets,
> > but that's got to be better than pee right? I really don't know what to
> > think. Anyone?
>
> I think that you need to bring her to the vet anyway, in case it's a
medical
> issue.

It won't cost that much, anyway.

bigbadbarry
April 22nd 05, 01:18 AM
> > but my budget is super tight and she
> > seems healthy in all other aspects, so I am thinking maybe just
move the
> > litter box there. Here again that means dealing with litter on the
> carpets,

Two things come to my mind...

I bet your cat is trying to tell you something..think about it...

old or not...if she is going in the same place...it's deliberate not an
accident..yeah...sounds like an infection..what do they give'm
antibiotics..

I see cat food too...that helps prevent UTI...

I'd be willing to bet she is communicating with you / Mommy help it
burns!

bigbadbarry
April 22nd 05, 01:23 AM
ooops second thought...

I knew an elderly lady, who lived in an old old house...with literally
no convenient place to put a litter box...so I helped her modify one of
them wicker chests...where the back was almost gone...we set plants on
it..but the litter box was under it...it looked cool and solved the
problem..the walls also contained the mess...and quality cat litter
kept he smell to null.

Mary
April 22nd 05, 04:21 AM
"bigbadbarry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ooops second thought...
>
> I knew an elderly lady, who lived in an old old house...with literally
> no convenient place to put a litter box...so I helped her modify one of
> them wicker chests...where the back was almost gone...we set plants on
> it..but the litter box was under it...it looked cool and solved the
> problem..the walls also contained the mess...and quality cat litter
> kept he smell to null.

Hey what a neat solution!

Philip
April 22nd 05, 05:26 AM
Mary wrote:
> "Olivia Mark" > wrote in message
> m...
>> My cat has started peeing in the corner near our front door. She's
>> very old, so I don't exactly know if this is an age thing or what.
>> The simple solution is to take her to the vet, but my budget is
>> super tight and she seems healthy in all other aspects, so I am
>> thinking maybe just move the litter box there. Here again that means
>> dealing with litter on the carpets, but that's got to be better than
>> pee right? I really don't know what to think. Anyone?
>
> She might have a UTI and she might be in pain. Please take her to the
> vet.

Sometimes, just the presence of a previous bowel movement in the litter box
is enough to make a cat "go" elsewhere.

bigbadbarry
April 22nd 05, 05:30 AM
> Hey what a neat solution!

It turned out down right fetchin' my love.

kaeli
April 22nd 05, 02:20 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> My cat has started peeing in the corner near our front door. She's very
> old, so I don't exactly know if this is an age thing or what.

Older cat + peeing outside box = UTI or other health problem (more than
likely). Might be kidney stones, arthritis causing pain, or any number of
geriatric cat issues.

Vet time. ASAP.

~kaeli~
In democracy your vote counts. In feudalism your count votes.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Mary
April 22nd 05, 06:22 PM
"Philip" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Mary wrote:
> > "Olivia Mark" > wrote in message
> > m...
> >> My cat has started peeing in the corner near our front door. She's
> >> very old, so I don't exactly know if this is an age thing or what.
> >> The simple solution is to take her to the vet, but my budget is
> >> super tight and she seems healthy in all other aspects, so I am
> >> thinking maybe just move the litter box there. Here again that means
> >> dealing with litter on the carpets, but that's got to be better than
> >> pee right? I really don't know what to think. Anyone?
> >
> > She might have a UTI and she might be in pain. Please take her to the
> > vet.
>
> Sometimes, just the presence of a previous bowel movement in the litter
box
> is enough to make a cat "go" elsewhere.

Yes. I was thinking that since this cat has apparently never done this
before, and she is old, that something is up.

Mary
April 22nd 05, 06:24 PM
"bigbadbarry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > Hey what a neat solution!
>
> It turned out down right fetchin' my love.

It was great of you to help the old lady.

Wyatt
April 23rd 05, 01:25 AM
"bigbadbarry" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Hey what a neat solution!
>
> It turned out down right fetchin' my love.

Is there a new outdoor cat hanging around your house? That's why my Maxx
started pulling a similar stunt. It was a territory thing. If you're sure
it isn't a urinary problem then just move the litter box and look for the
stray cat. I bet once the cat moves on, the peeing will stop. Maxxie tends
to fling litter and that's annoying on carpeting, but fortunately I have a
roomba to vacuum it up. The cat and the Roomba are not friends (Max's
choice) but they seemed to work out a deal as far as litter maintenance.

Cheryl
April 23rd 05, 01:42 AM
On Fri 22 Apr 2005 08:25:11p, Wyatt wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hlink.net):

<snip>
> Maxxie tends
> to fling litter and that's annoying on carpeting, but
> fortunately I have a roomba to vacuum it up. The cat and the
> Roomba are not friends (Max's choice) but they seemed to work
> out a deal as far as litter maintenance.

What do you think of the Roomba, and which model did you get? I
bought one a month ago and when I opened it, there was fur all over
the wheels, and the filter looked used so I returned it. I liked
the idea of having it to clean up after my messy kitten Rhett who
likes to fling dry food all over the kitchen floor, but when I saw
all the fur, I figured a pet owner tried it and didn't like it. I
still want to get one, but I'm going to be picky about which model.
I like the one that rehomes when the battery is running out. It
wasn't that much more money than the one on sale that I
bought/returned.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

bigbadbarry
April 24th 05, 03:49 PM
> I really don't know what to think. Anyone?

Cat acting weird?...what's new...mine comes up with something new
everyday!

He loves climbing on the highest peice of furniture and glare down at
me...

like...yeah, that's right!

I have a fireplace mantle over beside my bed...he loves getting up
there in the mornings...and does his gargoyle impersonation...

He gives me till about 7, before he starts nudging things towards the
edge..
(i kid you not)...you hear something hit the floor...and you look up,
but he's just sitting there like a statue...( i tell ya, I think this
fella has an agenda )

you still think your cat is acting weird?...lol

best to ya!

bigbadbarry
April 24th 05, 04:04 PM
> Like this?
> <http://www.slywy.com/photos/hodge1-9.04.jpg>

What handsome fella, that's about right, but with fangs, and nail
tapping?

I have been less hypertensive since I brought Ruprecht home; I'm always
glad when he's in the room snoozing..this past winter his favorite
thing was to melt in front of the fire.

I gotta take some pics too.

Mary
April 24th 05, 06:30 PM
"bigbadbarry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > I really don't know what to think. Anyone?
>
> Cat acting weird?...what's new...mine comes up with something new
> everyday!
>
> He loves climbing on the highest peice of furniture and glare down at
> me...
>
> like...yeah, that's right!
>
> I have a fireplace mantle over beside my bed...he loves getting up
> there in the mornings...and does his gargoyle impersonation...

Hahaha! There are really old Snoopy cartoons from the early
sixties where Snoopy does his Buzzard Impersonation. This
is what I am picturing.

> He gives me till about 7, before he starts nudging things towards the
> edge.. (i kid you not)...you hear something hit the floor...and you look
up,
> but he's just sitting there like a statue...( i tell ya, I think this
> fella has an agenda )

Have we seen pictures of your cat yet, Barry? (second hint, hint, hint)

bigbadbarry
April 24th 05, 06:50 PM
> > fella has an agenda )
> >

> Have we seen pictures of your cat yet, Barry? (second hint, hint,
hint)

oooohhh! now i'll never find him, he was just here, i reach and got my
cam, when I turnt around he was gone! lots of places for him to hide in
the house.
I got an idea...(i'll press the lever on the the can-opener)...I don't
use it..but what cat can resist. brb

Mary
April 24th 05, 07:25 PM
"bigbadbarry" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> > > fella has an agenda )
> > >

> > Have we seen pictures of your cat yet, Barry? (second hint, hint,
> hint)
>
> oooohhh! now i'll never find him, he was just here, i reach and got my
> cam, when I turnt around he was gone! lots of places for him to hide in
> the house.
> I got an idea...(i'll press the lever on the the can-opener)...I don't
> use it..but what cat can resist. brb

You have a real talent at building suspense! ;)

bigbadbarry
April 24th 05, 07:30 PM

> You have a real talent at building suspense! ;)

I know first impressions are lasting...and the cat looks mangled here,
but he really is fluffy and stout...the bright light kinda makes his
head look bad..and its a junky picture..but..ok..

http://www.barryparrish.com/image/cat/mycat.htm

you crack me up

Mary
April 24th 05, 08:21 PM
"bigbadbarry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > You have a real talent at building suspense! ;)
>

> I know first impressions are lasting...and the cat looks mangled here,
> but he really is fluffy and stout...the bright light kinda makes his
> head look bad..and its a junky picture..but..ok..
>
> http://www.barryparrish.com/image/cat/mycat.htm

Ruprecht is a big beautiful boy!! I want to see some good
shots of his kitty face.

> you crack me up

Likewise. ;)

Mary
April 24th 05, 09:37 PM
<equalizer> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:53:25 GMT, "Diane L. Schirf"
> > wrote:
>
> >In article . com>,
> > "bigbadbarry" > wrote:
> >
> >> He loves climbing on the highest peice of furniture and glare down at
> >> me...
> >>
> >> like...yeah, that's right!
> >
> >Like this?
> ><http://www.slywy.com/photos/hodge1-9.04.jpg>
>

> Everyone post their door frame pictures!!!
>
> Robocat:
> http://web.newsguy.com/equalizer/robo%20door%20frame.jpg
> http://web.newsguy.com/equalizer/robo%20doorframe%202.jpg
>
> Floppy (20 lbs)
> http://web.newsguy.com/equalizer/floppy%20doorframe.jpg
>
> eq

You live in a very cool old place, I can tell by the doors.

April 24th 05, 10:29 PM
On 24 Apr 2005 07:49:08 -0700, "bigbadbarry"
> wrote:

>> I really don't know what to think. Anyone?
>
>Cat acting weird?...what's new...mine comes up with something new
>everyday!
>
>He loves climbing on the highest peice of furniture and glare down at
>me...
>
>like...yeah, that's right!
>
>I have a fireplace mantle over beside my bed...he loves getting up
>there in the mornings...and does his gargoyle impersonation...
>
>He gives me till about 7, before he starts nudging things towards the
>edge..
>(i kid you not)...you hear something hit the floor...and you look up,
>but he's just sitting there like a statue...( i tell ya, I think this
>fella has an agenda )
>
>you still think your cat is acting weird?...lol
>
>best to ya!

My cat wakes me up every morning at 4:50am by throwing stuff off my
dresser. (He gets fed when I get up)
I don't even have to set my alarm anymore. I have to get up at 5am
for work, anyway, but on weekends it's a little annoying. I don't
know how he knows the exact time to wake me up every morning. My only
guess is he hears a train go by or something.
He also has a habit of making barfing sounds. He'll sit on the floor
and gag, which wakes me up immediately.

pepsi

bigbadbarry
April 24th 05, 11:33 PM

> You live in a very cool old place, I can tell by the doors.

It's probably one of the oldest home in Lynchburg...my favorite part is
the tin roof, I love to hear the rain on it..especially on a Sunday
Afternoon.

I like it here, Im comfortable. I've had two cats before this
one...(not here)...but I like him real good; come to find out, he had
been dropped off in the neighborhood...my customer had been letting him
eat with hers on the back porch - when I saw him, I said, I want that
cat!...they laughed, but the day he got in my truck they said take him.
nuff bout me, how many cats you sportin' you probably told me.

Cathy Friedmann
April 25th 05, 12:19 AM
> wrote in message
> My cat wakes me up every morning at 4:50am by throwing stuff off my
> dresser. (He gets fed when I get up)
> I don't even have to set my alarm anymore. I have to get up at 5am
> for work, anyway, but on weekends it's a little annoying. I don't
> know how he knows the exact time to wake me up every morning. My only
> guess is he hears a train go by or something.
> He also has a habit of making barfing sounds. He'll sit on the floor
> and gag, which wakes me up immediately.

In which case he has a recalcitrant hairball, or else could have
bronchitis/asthma. If he does this a lot, & you're not seeing any resultant
hairballs, making a vet appt. & explaining what's going on would be a good
idea.

Cathy

> pepsi

Philip
April 25th 05, 05:55 AM
wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2005 07:49:08 -0700, "bigbadbarry"
> > wrote:
>

>>> I really don't know what to think. Anyone?
>>
>> Cat acting weird?...what's new...mine comes up with something new
>> everyday!
>>
>> He loves climbing on the highest peice of furniture and glare down at
>> me...
>>
>> like...yeah, that's right!
>>
>> I have a fireplace mantle over beside my bed...he loves getting up
>> there in the mornings...and does his gargoyle impersonation...
>>
>> He gives me till about 7, before he starts nudging things towards the
>> edge..
>> (i kid you not)...you hear something hit the floor...and you look up,
>> but he's just sitting there like a statue...( i tell ya, I think this
>> fella has an agenda )
>>
>> you still think your cat is acting weird?...lol
>>
>> best to ya!
>
> My cat wakes me up every morning at 4:50am by throwing stuff off my
> dresser. (He gets fed when I get up)
> I don't even have to set my alarm anymore. I have to get up at 5am
> for work, anyway, but on weekends it's a little annoying. I don't
> know how he knows the exact time to wake me up every morning. My only
> guess is he hears a train go by or something.
> He also has a habit of making barfing sounds. He'll sit on the floor
> and gag, which wakes me up immediately.
>
> pepsi

If you have a recalcitrant teenager in the house who won't get out of bed
for school, try making those barfing sounds near him/her. LOL

April 25th 05, 10:36 AM
If he is squatting down all over the place in the house, then it could
by cystitus, one of my cats did this when he had cystitus, he even
squatted down to go in my slipper! A special diet from the vets cured
it.

If he is just going by the door, something could be bothering him about
the door, you going out and leaving him, another animal that comes in
that door, anything like that, and then, if the smell is left there
from the last time he peed there, he will go there again.

April 25th 05, 01:37 PM
On 25 Apr 2005 02:36:05 -0700, wrote:

>If he is squatting down all over the place in the house, then it could
>by cystitus, one of my cats did this when he had cystitus, he even
>squatted down to go in my slipper! A special diet from the vets cured
>it.
>
>If he is just going by the door, something could be bothering him about
>the door, you going out and leaving him, another animal that comes in
>that door, anything like that, and then, if the smell is left there
>from the last time he peed there, he will go there again.

He has been seen by a vet, he's on a special diet, thanks for your
concern.

pepsi

Mary
April 25th 05, 05:11 PM
"bigbadbarry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > You live in a very cool old place, I can tell by the doors.
>
> It's probably one of the oldest home in Lynchburg...my favorite part is
> the tin roof, I love to hear the rain on it..especially on a Sunday
> Afternoon.

I love Lynchburg. It has been years since I've been, but the
downtown part is so pretty and so hilly.

> I like it here, Im comfortable. I've had two cats before this
> one...(not here)...but I like him real good; come to find out, he had
> been dropped off in the neighborhood...my customer had been letting him
> eat with hers on the back porch - when I saw him, I said, I want that
> cat!...they laughed, but the day he got in my truck they said take him.

I am still waiting for that nice close shot of his handsome face!

> nuff bout me, how many cats you sportin' you probably told me.

I have two, and I was in the process of putting together a
photo page when I got swamped with work. They are not
bigbadruprecht types but dainty little girlycats, one rather
err, full-figured. A tabby like Ruprecht and a tuxedo with
shiny black fur and little white mittens.

bigbadbarry
April 25th 05, 11:58 PM
> I love Lynchburg. It has been years since I've been, but the
> downtown part is so pretty and so hilly.
>
> I am still waiting for that nice close shot of his handsome face!

im fixin to put him in the tub in a few mins...
after he fluffs back up, ill see if I can get some decents pictures.

> I have two, and I was in the process of putting together a
> photo page when I got swamped with work. They are not
> bigbadruprecht types but dainty little girlycats, one rather
> err, full-figured. A tabby like Ruprecht and a tuxedo with
> shiny black fur and little white mittens.

aaaah how cute...I like little cats...maybe I'm missing something,
unless you have 70 cats :0 but...other than vet visits...they really
pull thier own weight.

Ok...bath time