PDA

View Full Version : cat behavior - suckels

May 11th 05, 12:13 AM
I just adopted a 1.5 yr old female cat who was tossed around to several
different homes all across the country. I've never had such a cat
before. She follows you around all over the house and never wants you
out of her sight. When I leave for work in the morning she cries at the
door "meeeeoooooooooooowwwwwwww" like crazy.

The cat got used to and is now on my schedule. At night time when I go
to sleep she has a habbit which I don't understand. Just like a baby
kitten would suckel it's mothers milk when nursing, this cat suckels on
my arm for about 5 minutes before going to sleep. She does this every
night and I can't get her to stop. She is very obedient otherwise
(stops doing something when I say "no" firmly, and comes running when
you call her name).

Any idea why she would be doing this?

Ted Davis
May 11th 05, 01:07 AM
On 10 May 2005 16:13:01 -0700, wrote:

>I just adopted a 1.5 yr old female cat who was tossed around to several
>different homes all across the country. I've never had such a cat
>before. She follows you around all over the house and never wants you
>out of her sight. When I leave for work in the morning she cries at the
>door "meeeeoooooooooooowwwwwwww" like crazy.
>
>The cat got used to and is now on my schedule. At night time when I go
>to sleep she has a habbit which I don't understand. Just like a baby
>kitten would suckel it's mothers milk when nursing, this cat suckels on
>my arm for about 5 minutes before going to sleep. She does this every
>night and I can't get her to stop. She is very obedient otherwise
>(stops doing something when I say "no" firmly, and comes running when
>you call her name).
>
>Any idea why she would be doing this?

She loves you. She's treating you as she used to treat her mother.

I would suggest that you get her a kitten as a companion to help with
the separation anxiety.

--
T.E.D. )

Fritti
May 12th 05, 06:10 PM
I just adopted a 1.5 yr old female cat who was tossed around to several
different homes all across the country. I've never had such a cat
before. She follows you around all over the house and never wants you
out of her sight. When I leave for work in the morning she cries at the
door "meeeeoooooooooooowwwwwwww" like crazy.

The cat got used to and is now on my schedule. At night time when I go
to sleep she has a habbit which I don't understand. Just like a baby
kitten would suckel it's mothers milk when nursing, this cat suckels on
my arm for about 5 minutes before going to sleep. She does this every
night and I can't get her to stop. She is very obedient otherwise
(stops doing something when I say "no" firmly, and comes running when
you call her name).

Any idea why she would be doing this?

Yes, she sees you as her surrogate mother. She's just comforting herself in the best way possible: by doing to you what she would have done to her mother. If you want her to stop it, push her away and say "no" firmly (but frankly, I personally don't understand why you want a cat to stop doing that, I LOVE it when some of mine do it to me). Also, she's still young, she'll probably grow over it (or maybe not, heh). In any way, she's doing that because she really feels at easy with you, and very much enjoys being with you. Feel proud!
Purrs,
Fritti and his gang.

Martin Jay
May 20th 05, 01:44 AM
wrote:
> The cat got used to and is now on my schedule. At night time when I go
> to sleep she has a habbit which I don't understand. Just like a baby
> kitten would suckel it's mothers milk when nursing, this cat suckels on
> my arm for about 5 minutes before going to sleep. She does this every
> night and I can't get her to stop. She is very obedient otherwise
> (stops doing something when I say "no" firmly, and comes running when
> you call her name).

> Any idea why she would be doing this?

One of our cats, Magic, used to suckle on my knuckles several times a
day. It's extremely cute. We have some pictures of her doing it but I
can't find them at the moment.

Don't worry about this behavior: it probably brings back happy kitten
feelings for her, and helps to form a bond between the two of you.

Magic has almost grown out it, but still suckles on my knuckles
occasionally. She did it a few days ago. Unfortunately she likes to
paw at my hand with her claws at the same time, which leaves me with
red, itchy, marks for a few days. Cats have all sorts of nasty muck
under their claws.

--
Martin Jay