PDA

View Full Version : shaving a cat

nickd
June 1st 05, 12:14 AM
anyone ever shave a cat for the summer? would theyre markings come back the
same? even with brushing him,theres no way i can keep up.

June 1st 05, 01:56 PM
On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:14:16 -0400, "nickd" >
wrote:

>anyone ever shave a cat for the summer? would theyre markings come back the
>same? even with brushing him,theres no way i can keep up.

My cat won't even come near the hair dryer. I wouldn't attempt a
razor unless he was anesthetized.

White Monkey
June 2nd 05, 06:21 PM
"nickd" > wrote in message
> anyone ever shave a cat for the summer? would theyre markings come back
the
> same? even with brushing him,theres no way i can keep up.

I used to shave down very matted cats, and the occasional angora rabbit,
that came into a rescue shelter I worked at. If your cat is exceptionally
calm and you have a very good electric grooming set and enough experience
shaving small animals to avoid razor burn, etc., you could try it. But I
would not advise it if you don't already have a lot of experience holding,
restraining, shaving and so forth small, active critters. Of course the
markings would "come back" the same. No way would you be removing all the
hair--you'd just be making it short. Even if you somehow did remove all the
hair, like when a human uses depilatory cream, the markings would come
back--some might even still be there in the skin pigments.
--Katrina

TheHermit
June 2nd 05, 08:42 PM
Cats like a lot of mammals with fur do moult and have a thinner summer
coat and a thicker winter coat. Unless the cat itself is showing
discomfort and cannot groom itself and keep its coat in good condition
then I would advise you dont shave it.

Remember, some breeds such as persians will require a good brushing
with a good quality brush at least once a day. Other breeds like the
Maine Coon, despite having longer and thicker fur than most breeds will
only need a quick brush once a week to keep them in good condition.
Also, brush more during the time they are moulting to help them rid
themselves of their old coat and stop them getting lots of hairballs.

Hope that helps!

The Hermit

---
Visit http://www.thehovel.com/bb
The Hovel - Feline Friendly Internet!

Mognusticat
June 3rd 05, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I can't imagine a cat would take too kindly to being shaved. Are you really
going to give it a try?

Mognusticat

http://mogular.blogspot.com

"nickd" > wrote in message
> anyone ever shave a cat for the summer? would theyre markings come back
> the same? even with brushing him,theres no way i can keep up.

Barbara
June 3rd 05, 10:57 PM
my cat was given a lion cut from a groomer when he fractured his hip & was
caged for 8 weeks (he's a sealpoint himalayan mix). he looked so adorable &
he loved it because he could feel the cool wind on his skin. i'm thinking of
having it done again. he was real good about allowing the groomer to do it
too.

barbara

"Mognusticat" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I can't imagine a cat would take too kindly to being shaved. Are you
> really going to give it a try?
>
> Mognusticat
>
> http://mogular.blogspot.com
>
> "nickd" > wrote in message
>> anyone ever shave a cat for the summer? would theyre markings come back
>> the same? even with brushing him,theres no way i can keep up.

Lee Waun
June 3rd 05, 11:08 PM

> Remember, some breeds such as persians will require a good brushing
> with a good quality brush at least once a day. Other breeds like the
> Maine Coon, despite having longer and thicker fur than most breeds will
> only need a quick brush once a week to keep them in good condition.
> Also, brush more during the time they are moulting to help them rid
> themselves of their old coat and stop them getting lots of hairballs.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> The Hermit

Although I do agree with you about the thick coat of the Maine Coon only
needing a brush once a week is correct my female Maine Coon wants to be
brushed every single day.

In fact whenever I enter the bed room she gets excited and jumps up on the
bed and wants to be brushed immediately. If I don't brush her she will start
throwing a tantrum. She usually gets brushed at least every other day and
sometimes every day.

nickd
June 4th 05, 06:05 AM
i doubt it,it was just a thought,like shaving a dog in summer.i've never
heard of anyone doing it.i think the vet or groomer might think i'm nuts.
"Mognusticat" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I can't imagine a cat would take too kindly to being shaved. Are you
> really going to give it a try?
>
> Mognusticat
>
> http://mogular.blogspot.com
>
> "nickd" > wrote in message
>> anyone ever shave a cat for the summer? would theyre markings come back
>> the same? even with brushing him,theres no way i can keep up.

TheHermit
June 4th 05, 01:24 PM
LOL - Needing and wanting are of course different. :)

I know of a cat who I think has a little Maine Coon in her genes
somewhere who begs a brush each time you walk past her, which means she
sometimes gets 8 or 9 quick little brushes a day or else she moans like
a fishwife!

The Hermit

---
Visit http://www.thehovel.com/bb for friendly chatter for cat minded
people.
The Hovel - Feline Friendly Internet!

Lee Waun
June 5th 05, 12:18 AM
"TheHermit" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> LOL - Needing and wanting are of course different. :)
>
> I know of a cat who I think has a little Maine Coon in her genes
> somewhere who begs a brush each time you walk past her, which means she
> sometimes gets 8 or 9 quick little brushes a day or else she moans like
> a fishwife!
>
> The Hermit

Yes this cat must be related to my Mia that is exactly like this.