PDA

View Full Version : Bronx Nuns Seek Extermination of 8 Year Old Cat Colony


KittyyttiK
June 8th 05, 01:53 AM
For immediate release
Contact: Neighborhood Cats, Inc.
212-662-5761


What Happened to the "Cat" in Catholic?

(June 7, 2005) Newly elected Pope Benedict XVI's well-known love of stray
cats apparently is not shared by the Dominican Nuns of the Corpus Christi
Monastery in the Bronx, New York. The Mother Superior has ordered the
removal of seven feral cats who are almost all neutered, rabies vaccinated
and have lived on the monastery's five acres for the past 8 years. In a
decision backed by the Archdiocese of NY, the plan is to first try to force
the cats to leave by withholding all food and starving them. Then if they
don't go on their own, the resident Sisters will trap them and hand them
over to the city. Shelter workers would be forced to euthanize the cats
because they are feral and unadoptable and have nowhere else to be placed.

The Vicar of the Religious Office for the Archdiocese, Sister Helen C.,
stated, "my compassion does not extend to these animals" and "they will be
removed eventually, one way or another."

"The plan is not only cruel for depriving these cats of their long-time
home and causing their suffering and likely deaths, it is ineffective feral
cat population control," said Bryan Kortis, Executive Director of
Neighborhood Cats, a leading feral cat organization and a member of the
Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals. "Maintaining neutered feral colonies,
using a method known as Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR), is the only proven way to
reduce feral numbers in the long term. Otherwise, new unneutered cats will
simply replace the ones removed and the cycle of suffering and killing will
go on indefinitely."

Over the past eight years, at their own expense, volunteers have removed
nine cats from the grounds of the monastery and placed them in homes. The
cats too wild to be adopted were neutered and returned, stopping their
reproduction, and were then fed by the nuns. Now, however, the nuns and the
Archdiocese refuse to even meet with animal advocates to discuss the
situation.

To protest this heartless and ill-guided assault on the cats, please
contact the Corpus Christi Monastery and the Archdiocese of NY by phone,
email or fax (see below.) Let them know we expect more from our religious
leaders than pointless cruelty towards innocent animals:

Corpus Christi Monastery
phone: 718-328-6996
fax: 718-328-1974
email:

Archdiocese of NY
phone: 212-371-1000 (ask for Public Relations or the Vicar of the Religious
Office)
fax: 212-826-6020
email:

Act now! The cats have not been fed for five days and counting!!

From www.nunsopbronx.homestead.com:
"The DOMINICAN NUNS of Corpus Christi Monastery, Bronx, New York, are a
monastic community dedicated to a life of prayer and penance for the
preaching mission of the Dominican Order and for the salvation of souls."

For more on Trap-Neuter-Return: www.neighborhoodcats.org

The Archdiocese appears to be turning away emails coming in about the cats.
Please go to this page for more ways to reach them:

http://www.ny-archdiocese.org/more_info.html

Also, for info on how to contact the Vatican:
http://www.insidethevatican.com/contact-us.htm

Thank you!
Bryan Kortis
Neighborhood Cats

Novena Prayer to St. Francis of Assisi

St. Francis of Assisi, help us. By your example may we learn that life
does not consist in the pursuit of wealth nor in the abundance of our
possessions.

St. Francis of Assisi, come to our aid. Because we live at a time when men
glorify ease and seek after luxuries, and when many wish only the
gratification of fleshly desires, we stand in special need of your
single-minded dedication to Christ in the narrow way that leads to life.

St. Francis of Assisi, assist us now. May we appreciate as you did the
beauties of God's wonderful creation and the glory of the world He made for
us. Help us to enjoy and appreciate God's bounty without spoiling or
defacing His gifts by our heedlessness and greed.

Teach us, seraphic Father Francis, to value all things as Christ did and to
be imitators of Him as you were. May we thus enjoy the good things of
life, but always prefer the blessings of the endless life to come. Amen.

V. God forbid that I should glory...

R. Save in the cross of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

St. Francis, the Little Poor Man of Assisi, we invoke you as the admirable
mirror you were of our Divine Master. You imitated Christ in your humility
and obedience. You faithfully followed Him in poverty and weakness. With
joy you accepted suffering, contempt, and trials, for the sake of His name.
In your goodness help us, then, to imitate your example. By your power
with God, obtain for us the special favor we now seek throughout your
intercession. (Here name your petitions).

Please pray for us, gentle and happy saint of the poor, that we may always
be loyal followers of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and filled always with
Divine riches. Amen.

(To make the Novena, recite this prayer for 9 consecutive days)



Prayer for Our Animal Friends

Heavenly Father, our human ties with our friends of other species is a
wonderful and special gift from You. We now ask You to grant our special
animal companions your Fatherly care and healing power to take away any
suffering they have. Give us, their human friends, new understanding of
our responsibilities to these creatures of Yours. They have trust in us as
we have in You; our souls and theirs are on this earth together to give one
another friendship, affection, and caring. Take our petition for these,
Your ill or suffering animals. Take our heartfelt prayers and fill them
with healing Light and strength to overcome whatever weakness of body they
have.

(Here mention the names of the animals needing prayer).

Your goodness is turned upon every living thing; Your grace flows to all
Your creatures. From our souls to theirs goodness flows out and touches
each of us with the reflection of Your love. To our special animal
companions grant long and healthy lives. Give them good relationships with
us, and if You see fit to take them from us, help us to understand that
they are not gone from us, but only drawing closer to You. Grant our
prayer through the intercession of good St. Francis of Assisi, who honored
You through all Your creatures. Give him the power to watch over our
animal friends until they are safely with You in eternity, where we someday
hope to join them in giving You honor forever. Amen.



Prayer for Our Pets

Good St. Francis, you loved all of God's creatures.

To you they were your brothers and sisters.

Help us to follow your example

of treating every living thing with kindness.

St. Francis, Patron Saint of animals,

watch over my pet

and keep my companion safe and healthy.

Amen.

Joseph Meehan
June 8th 05, 02:17 AM
KittyyttiK wrote:
> For immediate release
> Contact: Neighborhood Cats, Inc.
> 212-662-5761
>
>
> What Happened to the "Cat" in Catholic?

Doing a quick search, I was not able to verify this story. Having seen
so many stories spread on the internet, I have become suspicious of all such
stories. I suggest that before anyone gets upset that they try to verify
the story through established sources. BTW there does not seem to be a
neighborhoodcats.org.


--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Smoke2much
June 8th 05, 05:07 AM
Joseph Meehan says...
> KittyyttiK wrote:
> > For immediate release
> > Contact: Neighborhood Cats, Inc.
> > 212-662-5761
> >
> >
> > What Happened to the "Cat" in Catholic?
>
> Doing a quick search, I was not able to verify this story. Having seen
> so many stories spread on the internet, I have become suspicious of all such
> stories. I suggest that before anyone gets upset that they try to verify
> the story through established sources. BTW there does not seem to be a
> neighborhoodcats.org.

There is indeed a neighborhoodcats.org... you can find it here:
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org

However, I don't see any reference to the cruel Nun's story in the "Late
Breaking News" section of the site. I think you're wise to double-check
anything posted on the Net this way. Unfortunately, the "story" is often
more fiction than fact, and I guess the only way to verify this one is to
mail 'Neighborhood Cats', which I just did.

Smoke

Joseph Meehan
June 8th 05, 11:53 AM
Smoke2much wrote:
> Joseph Meehan says...
>> KittyyttiK wrote:
>> > For immediate release
>> > Contact: Neighborhood Cats, Inc.
>> > 212-662-5761
>> >
>> >
>> > What Happened to the "Cat" in Catholic?
>>
>> Doing a quick search, I was not able to verify this story.
>> Having seen so many stories spread on the internet, I have become
>> suspicious of all such stories. I suggest that before anyone gets
>> upset that they try to verify the story through established sources.
>> BTW there does not seem to be a neighborhoodcats.org.
>
> There is indeed a neighborhoodcats.org... you can find it here:
> http://www.neighborhoodcats.org

It may have been down when I checked. I did find that the organization
did exist and that the indicted spokesmen was associated with them, but I
was not able to verify any connection with the Bronx story or anything
indicating the reliability of the organization.

>
> However, I don't see any reference to the cruel Nun's story in the
> "Late Breaking News" section of the site. I think you're wise to
> double-check anything posted on the Net this way. Unfortunately, the
> "story" is often more fiction than fact, and I guess the only way to
> verify this one is to mail 'Neighborhood Cats', which I just did.
>
> Smoke

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Smoke2much
June 8th 05, 05:14 PM
Joseph Meehan says...
> Smoke2much wrote:
> > Joseph Meehan says...
> >> KittyyttiK wrote:
> >> > For immediate release
> >> > Contact: Neighborhood Cats, Inc.
> >> > 212-662-5761
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > What Happened to the "Cat" in Catholic?
> >>
> >> Doing a quick search, I was not able to verify this story.
> >> Having seen so many stories spread on the internet, I have become
> >> suspicious of all such stories. I suggest that before anyone gets
> >> upset that they try to verify the story through established sources.
> >> BTW there does not seem to be a neighborhoodcats.org.
> >
> > There is indeed a neighborhoodcats.org... you can find it here:
> > http://www.neighborhoodcats.org
>
> It may have been down when I checked. I did find that the organization
> did exist and that the indicted spokesmen was associated with them, but I
> was not able to verify any connection with the Bronx story or anything
> indicating the reliability of the organization.
>
> >
> > However, I don't see any reference to the cruel Nun's story in the
> > "Late Breaking News" section of the site. I think you're wise to
> > double-check anything posted on the Net this way. Unfortunately, the
> > "story" is often more fiction than fact, and I guess the only way to
> > verify this one is to mail 'Neighborhood Cats', which I just did.
> >
> > Smoke

Hi Joseph...
Just thought I'd follow up with the reply I got this morning from
Neighborhood Cats. Thank goodness there are kinder and more
compassionate people in the world than "The Vicar of the Religious Office
for the Archdiocese, Sister Helen C." who has revealed herself as just
another religious bureaucrat as opposed to a proponent of the tenents of
her faith.
------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, June 8th 2005
The story is accurate. This morning the nuns and Archdiocese agreed to
allow volunteers to trap and remove the cats to Pets Alive
(www.petsalive.com), a nearby sanctuary that thankfully intervened.

Bryan Kortis
Neighborhood Cats
-------------------------------------------------------

Smoke

Bigjoe
June 8th 05, 10:24 PM
"KittyyttiK" > a écrit dans le message de news:
...
> For immediate release
> ................................cut


Those unholy nuns shall burn in hell forever !

KittyyttiK
June 9th 05, 12:09 AM
"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
...
> KittyyttiK wrote:
>> For immediate release
>> Contact: Neighborhood Cats, Inc.
>> 212-662-5761
>>
>>
>> What Happened to the "Cat" in Catholic?
>
>Doing a quick search, I was not able to verify this story. Having seen so
>many stories spread on the internet, I have become suspicious of all such
>stories. I suggest that before anyone gets upset that they try to verify
>the story through established sources. BTW there does not seem to be a
>neighborhoodcats.org.
>Joseph Meehan
Dia duit

I'm suspicious. May I suggest that you try again www.neighborhoodcats.org
There most certainly is such an organization and there most certainly is a
story.

someone
June 20th 05, 01:04 AM
KittyyttiK > wrote in message
...
> "Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
> ...
> > KittyyttiK wrote:
> >> For immediate release
> >> Contact: Neighborhood Cats, Inc.
> >> 212-662-5761
> >>
> >>
> >> What Happened to the "Cat" in Catholic?
> >
> >Doing a quick search, I was not able to verify this story. Having seen
so
> >many stories spread on the internet, I have become suspicious of all such
> >stories. I suggest that before anyone gets upset that they try to verify
> >the story through established sources. BTW there does not seem to be a
> >neighborhoodcats.org.
> >Joseph Meehan
> Dia duit
>
> I'm suspicious. May I suggest that you try again www.neighborhoodcats.org
> There most certainly is such an organization and there most certainly is a
> story.
>
>
Well, I had a look and all the cats were lovely. Here in UK it is difficult
to find kittens since everybody has their cats neutered. We have been
looking for a while to get two cats.

s.

Lesley
June 24th 05, 01:17 PM
Well, I had a look and all the cats were lovely. Here in UK it is
difficult
to find kittens since everybody has their cats neutered. We have been
looking for a while to get two cats

The Cats Protection League have a selection of cats and kittens needing
homes try http://www.cats.org.uk/flash/index.php?sect_id=55
For a list of their centres

If you're in London Celia Hammond Animal Trust always has cats and
kittens and Battersea Dogs Home also has cats and kittens (Which
surprised me when I first heard it)

Also you could ask a local vet. A friend of mine wanted 2 cats and I
suggested our vet's and lo and behold a month later she had a beautiful
brother and sister (Fred and Wilma)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

someone
July 11th 05, 10:18 PM
Lesley > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Well, I had a look and all the cats were lovely. Here in UK it is
> difficult
> to find kittens since everybody has their cats neutered. We have been
> looking for a while to get two cats
>
> The Cats Protection League have a selection of cats and kittens needing
> homes try http://www.cats.org.uk/flash/index.php?sect_id=55
> For a list of their centres
>
> If you're in London Celia Hammond Animal Trust always has cats and
> kittens and Battersea Dogs Home also has cats and kittens (Which
> surprised me when I first heard it)
>
> Also you could ask a local vet. A friend of mine wanted 2 cats and I
> suggested our vet's and lo and behold a month later she had a beautiful
> brother and sister (Fred and Wilma)
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>

Thanks for the pointers. We've tried CPL out here in Wiltshire, but so far
with no luck. We got in touch with Blue Cross in Lechlade but they don't
want to know because they say we live on a main road (which it ain't). In
30 years we've never lost any of our (only 4) cats on the road.

Anyway, we'll keep looking, I'm sure some lovely pair of furballs will come
along eventually.

s.