PDA

View Full Version : Another kitten with 2 faces

June 17th 05, 08:39 AM
2 faced kitten called Gemini born in Roseberg, Oregon on Sunday 12th
June. I'm not sure if it's simply being reported more often or it is
happening more often due to environmental toxins or inbreeding. In
this case the owner claims to be breeding miniature cats, not sure if
it's a genetically sound breeding program or not, but there's an
advertisement for her cats woven into the story of Gemini.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/06/16/national/a195752D37.DTL

http://www.oregonnews.com/article/20050616/NEWS/50616015

And background information on the condition in general (some of the
images lower down that page are medical rather than cute)
http://www.messybeast.com/freak-face.htm

Gemini was born Sunday with two mouths, two tongues, two noses and four
eyes. "I kind of feel sorry for her, because I can't know for a fact
if she's going to live or die," its owner, Lee Bluetear of Glide, told
the (Roseburg) News-Review. "If she makes it, she should be a perfectly
normal and healthy cat. Other than having two faces."

Roseburg veterinarian Alan Ross, who examined the kitten on Tuesday,
said he can't estimate the kitten's life span. He said when he first
saw the kitten, he wouldn't have given her more than a 10 percent
chance of survival. (He hasn't seen the kitten since then so there's
no definite information on its health)

Bluetear, 40, said Gemini is much stronger and drinking more milk than
in its first few days. Ross said that if the kitten does survive, it
might need surgery to remove the extra tissue in between its two
mouths. Bluetear has been breeding different kinds of animals,
starting with dogs, since 1980. Roughly three years ago, she discovered
a litter of smaller than normal kittens she calls "miniature cats."
(another miniature cat "breeder" planning to sell them over the
internet)

June 17th 05, 06:44 PM
There is nothing that chaps my ass more than seeing ignorant people
like this woman thinking she is going to make money selling cats over
the internet. I feel terrible for this kitten being born with such a
debilitating deformity. I can only hope that this kitten passes
peacefully, and does not become a medical novelty to be poked and
prodded.

mlbriggs
June 17th 05, 10:40 PM
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:44:12 -0700, n7uqa91 wrote:

> There is nothing that chaps my ass more than seeing ignorant people like
> this woman thinking she is going to make money selling cats over the
> internet. I feel terrible for this kitten being born with such a
> debilitating deformity. I can only hope that this kitten passes
> peacefully, and does not become a medical novelty to be poked and prodded.

Purrs that your wish is granted -- I join you in wishing this. MLB

June 22nd 05, 07:47 AM
mlbriggs wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:44:12 -0700, n7uqa91 wrote:
>
> > There is nothing that chaps my ass more than seeing ignorant people like
> > this woman thinking she is going to make money selling cats over the
> > internet. I feel terrible for this kitten being born with such a
> > debilitating deformity. I can only hope that this kitten passes
> > peacefully, and does not become a medical novelty to be poked and prodded.
>

> Purrs that your wish is granted -- I join you in wishing this.

Gemini died aged 4 days. She was probably already dying when the story
was in the news, but the Gemini phenomenon was being used to publicise
Bluetear's "breeding" program.

mlbriggs
June 22nd 05, 05:57 PM
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:47:16 -0700, moggycat wrote:

> mlbriggs wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:44:12 -0700, n7uqa91 wrote:
>>
>> > There is nothing that chaps my ass more than seeing ignorant people
>> > like this woman thinking she is going to make money selling cats over
>> > the internet. I feel terrible for this kitten being born with such a
>> > debilitating deformity. I can only hope that this kitten passes
>> > peacefully, and does not become a medical novelty to be poked and
>> > prodded.
>>

>> Purrs that your wish is granted -- I join you in wishing this.
>
> Gemini died aged 4 days. She was probably already dying when the story
> was in the news, but the Gemini phenomenon was being used to publicise
> Bluetear's "breeding" program.

Let us hope (purr) that they go out of business. MLB