PDA

View Full Version : 16 year Old cat won't clean his furr! ??

Tanya cornell
July 10th 05, 05:33 AM
I have a 16 year old cat whom I've adored for as many years. For the past month or so he hasn't been grooming himself and has gotten really nasty and dirty looking. He is an outside cat only because he wants to be. We've tried to get him to come in but he refuses.
His sight and hearing are impaired his eating habits are good. Last night I took some scissors and trimmed alot of mats out of his hair out of despiration. He just lay there and let me do it and didn't move. I think he actually liked it. I want to bathe him but fear him scratching me or worse yet something happening to him since he is so old and all. If anyone could tell me what to do I would be greatful. And also why he won't clean himself.

July 10th 05, 01:02 PM
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 04:33:23 +0000, Tanya cornell
> wrote:

>I have a 16 year old cat whom I've adored for as many years. For the
>past month or so he hasn't been grooming himself and has gotten really
>nasty and dirty looking. He is an outside cat only because he wants to
>be. We've tried to get him to come in but he refuses.
>His sight and hearing are impaired his eating habits are good. Last
>night I took some scissors and trimmed alot of mats out of his hair out
>of despiration. He just lay there and let me do it and didn't move. I
>think he actually liked it. I want to bathe him but fear him
>scratching me or worse yet something happening to him since he is so
>old and all. If anyone could tell me what to do I would be greatful.
>And also why he won't clean himself.

They make waterless bathing cloths for cats, I've seen them at
Walmart. I've never bought them, so I don't know how well they work,
but it sounds like your cat would let you stroke him with a cloth.

pepsi

mlbriggs
July 11th 05, 12:12 AM
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 04:33:23 +0000, Tanya cornell wrote:

> I have a 16 year old cat whom I've adored for as many years. For the past
> month or so he hasn't been grooming himself and has gotten really nasty
> and dirty looking. He is an outside cat only because he wants to be.
> We've tried to get him to come in but he refuses. His sight and hearing
> are impaired his eating habits are good. Last night I took some scissors
> and trimmed alot of mats out of his hair out of despiration. He just lay
> there and let me do it and didn't move. I think he actually liked it. I
> want to bathe him but fear him scratching me or worse yet something
> happening to him since he is so old and all. If anyone could tell me what
> to do I would be greatful. And also why he won't clean himself.

Get a good brush and use it every day. You can also get some kitty wipes
to help clean him. MLB

Lurker at Large
July 12th 05, 06:31 PM
In article >, Tanya cornell > writes:

> I have a 16 year old cat whom I've adored for as many years. For the
> past month or so he hasn't been grooming himself and has gotten really
> nasty and dirty looking. He is an outside cat only because he wants to
> be. We've tried to get him to come in but he refuses.
> His sight and hearing are impaired his eating habits are good. Last
> night I took some scissors and trimmed alot of mats out of his hair out
> of despiration. He just lay there and let me do it and didn't move. I
> think he actually liked it. I want to bathe him but fear him
> scratching me or worse yet something happening to him since he is so
> old and all. If anyone could tell me what to do I would be greatful.
> And also why he won't clean himself.

Often when a cat stops grooming himself it's a symptom that he's sick. Take
the cat to the vet if you can.

Sharon