PDA

View Full Version : The heat and how to protect my cats???

Ummmmm
July 21st 05, 06:30 AM
I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

claudel
July 21st 05, 06:43 AM
In article utpets.com>,
Ummmmm > wrote:
>I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
>has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

My cat, Bubba, jumped up on the bathroom vanity and
brought me a razor like he wanted me to shave him, but
I didn't...

Seriously, though. He found a place where there is a cold
air flow from the AC and has been spending a lot of time there.
It's been 115<>120F outside my place all week. 90 inside seems cool.

Make sure there's plenty of water for both you and your cat...

Claude

Nick
July 21st 05, 09:07 PM
in a similar vein, what is the best temperature for a cat? I usually leave
the thermostat on around 74, but I always wonder if it's too warm, or would
they rather it be cooler. I'm sure there is a lot of variation from cat to
cat, but if anyone has some insight, I'd be delighted to hear it.

"Ummmmm" > wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
>I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
> has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

jils
July 21st 05, 11:22 PM
the thickness of your cat's coat will protect and insulate her from the
heat.

a friend of mine was alarmed that we were expecting a heatwave a while
back. she spent a thousand dollars on a portable air conditioner, nearly
killed herself installing it in a window, on a table, and what did the
cat do when the temperature hit 40C?
she went outside and slept in the garden.

Ummmmm wrote:
> I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
> has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

Ted Davis
July 22nd 05, 01:19 AM
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:22:02 +1000, jils > wrote:

>a friend of mine was alarmed that we were expecting a heatwave a while
>back. she spent a thousand dollars on a portable air conditioner, nearly
>killed herself installing it in a window, on a table, and what did the
>cat do when the temperature hit 40C?
>she went outside and slept in the garden.

Today was the hottest so far this year - I saw a weather.com report of
99 F - my thermostat is set at 73 F. So where were my dozen cats when
I got home? One or two were inside; one came in with me; several more
came in a few minutes later, then went back out (they were just
telling me the food bowl needed attention).

--
T.E.D. )

July 22nd 05, 01:35 PM
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:19:16 -0500, Ted Davis
> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:22:02 +1000, jils > wrote:
>
>>a friend of mine was alarmed that we were expecting a heatwave a while
>>back. she spent a thousand dollars on a portable air conditioner, nearly
>>killed herself installing it in a window, on a table, and what did the
>>cat do when the temperature hit 40C?
>>she went outside and slept in the garden.
>>

>Today was the hottest so far this year - I saw a weather.com report of
>99 F - my thermostat is set at 73 F. So where were my dozen cats when
>I got home? One or two were inside; one came in with me; several more
>came in a few minutes later, then went back out (they were just
>telling me the food bowl needed attention).

I live in an un-air-conditioned apartment and it's almost unbearable
when the temp gets in the 90's F. Fortunately, we only get those
temps a few weeks a year, but my I do everything I can to make my cat
comfortable. When he sits and pants, I wrap a damp cool towel around
him. He hates it, but I know it helps cool him a little. He just
won't sleep in front of the fans. Yesterday was the worst, with a 94F
temp. It usually cools down at night, but it's 5:30am now and still
70 out. Supposed to be cooler today.

pepsi

Ollie Clark
August 4th 05, 03:08 PM
Ummmmm wrote:
> I was just curious if any one knows the best way to cool off a pet cat? She
> has a really thick coat and I don't want anything bad to happen...

Cats are naturally dessert animals so they can probably put up with much
higher heats than you can. Unless it's getting above 40 degrees (about
110F) regularly, don't worry about it. When we first got our cats, it was
a hot summer. It was regularly 30-35 degrees in the shade and we had to
keep all the house windows closed to keep them in so the house must have
been getting on for 40+ degrees. They were fine.

Make sure there's plenty of water available though.

--

http://www.ollieclark.com/acronyms.html