PDA

View Full Version : How to tell...

August 12th 05, 10:49 PM
Hi.

We've got a cat which has been coming to our house for about 10 months
now. And I'm not sure whether it belongs to a house, or is a wild cat
or not, and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell?

When the cat comes to the house, it is always hungry, and will always
eat something ... whether it be treats, or normal meals or mice and
insects that it catches! It even has a go at eating the grass!!! lol.

It also brings plenty of mice. It's brought about 4 mice in the last 6
days, and most of the time, it's eaten it all up (leaving guts and
other little bits!).

She also comes at all hours of day and night. I've had her miowing at
the window at 5am in the mornings trying to wake us up until we take
her in. Then she sits there and goes to sleep or has a wonder around
the house.

So I was wondering if there's any way of telling whether she belongs to
a house or not (short of putting out a poster asking, hehe).

Oh yeah, another thing. She has no collars or tags that we can see,
and we tried putting a collar on her the once. She didn't come back
for about 2 days after, and the collar was gone. Which made us think
she belonged to someone, and they removed the collar. Although she was
scratching at the collar trying to remvoe it, so it could be that is
what had happened!

Also want to say that she always smells of outside, and due to her
coming around at all hours, it makes me wonder (although a cat flap
would give her the ability to do this, hehe).

Anyway, hopefully someone has some info to help us tell...

Cheers, Dave

Jen M. via CatKB.com
August 13th 05, 06:15 PM
Dave,

I don't know the answer to your question--not sure anyone would. Though it
seems that you have been adopted--congrats!

Take care,
Jen

wrote:
>Hi.
>
>We've got a cat which has been coming to our house for about 10 months
>now. And I'm not sure whether it belongs to a house, or is a wild cat
>or not, and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell?
>
>When the cat comes to the house, it is always hungry, and will always
>eat something ... whether it be treats, or normal meals or mice and
>insects that it catches! It even has a go at eating the grass!!! lol.
>
>It also brings plenty of mice. It's brought about 4 mice in the last 6
>days, and most of the time, it's eaten it all up (leaving guts and
>other little bits!).
>
>She also comes at all hours of day and night. I've had her miowing at
>the window at 5am in the mornings trying to wake us up until we take
>her in. Then she sits there and goes to sleep or has a wonder around
>the house.
>
>So I was wondering if there's any way of telling whether she belongs to
>a house or not (short of putting out a poster asking, hehe).
>
>Oh yeah, another thing. She has no collars or tags that we can see,
>and we tried putting a collar on her the once. She didn't come back
>for about 2 days after, and the collar was gone. Which made us think
>she belonged to someone, and they removed the collar. Although she was
>scratching at the collar trying to remvoe it, so it could be that is
>what had happened!
>
>Also want to say that she always smells of outside, and due to her
>coming around at all hours, it makes me wonder (although a cat flap
>would give her the ability to do this, hehe).
>
>Anyway, hopefully someone has some info to help us tell...
>
>Cheers, Dave

Christie W via CatKB.com
August 14th 05, 04:48 AM
My mom has a couple of "strays" that come to her house in the morning and
evening. As long as she feeds them, they continue to show. If your guy looks
scraggly and unkemp, you probably can assume he has no permenant home. Except
now he has yours! It does look as if you've been "adopted"!

(WebElder)
August 25th 05, 09:46 PM
On 12 Aug 2005 14:49:37 -0700, wrote:

>Hi.
>
>We've got a cat which has been coming to our house for about 10 months
>now. And I'm not sure whether it belongs to a house, or is a wild cat
>or not, and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell?
>
>When the cat comes to the house, it is always hungry, and will always
>eat something ... whether it be treats, or normal meals or mice and
>insects that it catches! It even has a go at eating the grass!!! lol.
>
>It also brings plenty of mice. It's brought about 4 mice in the last 6
>days, and most of the time, it's eaten it all up (leaving guts and
>other little bits!).
>
>She also comes at all hours of day and night. I've had her miowing at
>the window at 5am in the mornings trying to wake us up until we take
>her in. Then she sits there and goes to sleep or has a wonder around
>the house.
>
>So I was wondering if there's any way of telling whether she belongs to
>a house or not (short of putting out a poster asking, hehe).
>
>Oh yeah, another thing. She has no collars or tags that we can see,
>and we tried putting a collar on her the once. She didn't come back
>for about 2 days after, and the collar was gone. Which made us think
>she belonged to someone, and they removed the collar. Although she was
>scratching at the collar trying to remvoe it, so it could be that is
>what had happened!
>
>Also want to say that she always smells of outside, and due to her
>coming around at all hours, it makes me wonder (although a cat flap
>would give her the ability to do this, hehe).
>
>Anyway, hopefully someone has some info to help us tell...
>
>Cheers, Dave

Be careful when trying to put a collar on a stray Cat.I have seen Cats
go crazy and hurt themselves trying to get it off. One Cat We helped
had gotten its paw/foreleg stuck in the collar trying to pry it off.
They can also try to "rub" it off and get it caught on something.

I would suggest only trying to callar this Cat if you can keep an eye
on it until it gets accustomed to having something around it neck.

Ray
WebElder
I don't "Suffer" from Insanity..I rather enjoy it!

CATTS
http://members.tripod.com/~thewebster/catts.html

Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/9826/meshead.html