PDA

View Full Version : Heat pad / heated cat bed

Sagittaria
September 3rd 05, 07:30 PM
I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all times. Do I
have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be safe to leave a
normal heating pad on 24/7?

--
---->Sagittaria<----

William Hamblen
September 3rd 05, 09:29 PM
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:30:21 -0000, Sagittaria
> wrote:

>I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all times. Do I
>have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be safe to leave a
>normal heating pad on 24/7?

Your average heating pad is likely to burn the cat.

blkcatgal
September 3rd 05, 09:30 PM
I used a regular heating pad for my cat. I put it inside of a fleece
covered pad that I made and kept it on low or warm. Any warmer seemed too
hot. My cat liked it.

Sue

"Sagittaria" > wrote in message
> I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all times. Do I
> have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be safe to leave a
> normal heating pad on 24/7?
>
> --
> ---->Sagittaria<----

Veloise
September 4th 05, 07:01 PM
Sagittaria wrote:
> I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all times. Do I
> have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be safe to leave a
> normal heating pad on 24/7?

A couple of things to try:

--set kitty up with a bed near a heat duct. My older cat spends 6
months a year enjoying warm furnace air.

--Polarfleece is a wonderful fabric that reflects body heat, and they
like the way it feels (mom!). This morning I dragged out two of my PF
throws, and instantly had company.

--If you do go the heating pad route, I would get a timer and set it to
cycle on and off every hour. It'll stay warm enough and has less of a
chance of burning your house down.

YMMV

HTH

--Karen D.

Sagittaria
September 4th 05, 10:14 PM
"Veloise" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Sagittaria wrote:
>> I'd like my elderly cat to have a warm bed available at all
>> times. Do I have to pay $40+ for a heated cat bed, or would it be
>> safe to leave a normal heating pad on 24/7?
>
> A couple of things to try:
>
> --set kitty up with a bed near a heat duct. My older cat spends 6
> months a year enjoying warm furnace air.
>
> --Polarfleece is a wonderful fabric that reflects body heat, and
> they like the way it feels (mom!). This morning I dragged out two
> of my PF throws, and instantly had company.
>
> --If you do go the heating pad route, I would get a timer and set
> it to cycle on and off every hour. It'll stay warm enough and has
> less of a chance of burning your house down.

Thanks! I had forgotten the vents - she has been sleeping on them for a
couple of winters now. :) I appreciate the suggestions.

--
---->Sagittaria<----