PDA

View Full Version : South FL Cats' Taste in Music

Hopitus2
August 10th 03, 10:47 PM
In a cleaning frenzy this stormy afternoon, we blasted not our usual
housecleaning "house" or "techno" music, but I reached deep into my hard
drive and played old purloined (yes! a tune pirate!) Napster goodies at top
volume.....all 3 of the short furry dictators fled under the beds upon
Robert Palmer's oldie, "Bad Case of Loving You"! The slaves added to their
indignities by collapsing in hysterical laughter, while 3 pairs of glowering
cat eyes were visible peering out from the bedskirts. Maria Callas' "Un Bel
Di" produced the same result
(at least the slavemasters can't say their hoomins lack musical diversity)!
Reflecting upon the sad story of Madam Butterfly was not condusive to
efficient housecleaning, however, and we considered Nine Inch Nails' "The
Fragile" to finish our tasks, but decided the poor felines would probably
have nervous breakdowns from that one.....sooooooooooo, thinking only that I
could "sing along" in Spanish to one of my fave oldies, punched in Richie
Valens
and "LaBamba"....all 3 cats emerged from their "cave" and settled on their
couch perches as usual, seeming to be actually soothed by my last choice in
tunes! Either we have Hispanic cats or they are R. Valens aficionados
(unlikely, no?) OR their sensitive little eardrums, attuned to high-pitched
sounds, were affronted by our early sound bytes for cleaning. I played
"LaBamba" again, and they are all actually asleep now near the speakers.
Cats are strange.

Seanette Blaylock
August 11th 03, 12:58 AM
Margaret Fine > had some very interesting things
to say about Re: South FL Cats' Taste in Music:

>LOL! Oliver really likes the sound track to Disney's Tarzan. He'll
>actually sit near the speakers when I play that. A friend suggested I
>get another Phil Collins CD to see if it is the soundtrack or Phil
>Collins he likes. He also likes Limp Bizkit and The Beatles but
>curiously enough doesn't really care for The Lion King soundtrack!

Felix once actually requested the "Cats" video [he led me to the
entertainment center and stared quite urgently up at that tape, which
was lying on top of the VCR. When I asked him if that was what he
wanted to watch, he power-purred]. Yes, we watched it. :-)

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL

Tanada
August 11th 03, 05:16 AM
Hopitus2 wrote:

> .sooooooooooo, thinking only that I
> could "sing along" in Spanish to one of my fave oldies, punched in Richie
> Valens
> and "LaBamba"....all 3 cats emerged from their "cave" and settled on their
> couch perches as usual, seeming to be actually soothed by my last choice in
> tunes! Either we have Hispanic cats or they are R. Valens aficionados
> (unlikely, no?) OR their sensitive little eardrums, attuned to high-pitched
> sounds, were affronted by our early sound bytes for cleaning. I played
> "LaBamba" again, and they are all actually asleep now near the speakers.
> Cats are strange.

Mine seem to like Harry Chapin, Alabama, Meatloaf, Whitesnake, and
Classical music especially Holst's "The Planets." Its a good thing as
all of it, except Whitesnake get played a lot around here. They leave
the area when Linkun Park is in the CD player, or if Mike sings. Funny,
as poorly as I sing, they don't seem to mind too much.

Pam S.

Hopitus2
August 11th 03, 06:16 AM
You probably sound better than David Coverdale to the short furry
people.....

"Tanada" > wrote in message
: >
:
: Mine seem to like Harry Chapin, Alabama, Meatloaf, Whitesnake, and
: Classical music especially Holst's "The Planets." Its a good thing as
: all of it, except Whitesnake get played a lot around here. They leave
: the area when Linkun Park is in the CD player, or if Mike sings. Funny,
: as poorly as I sing, they don't seem to mind too much.
:
: Pam S.

Tanada
August 13th 03, 02:55 AM
Allegra640 wrote:

> Vera & Lola love music ... Van Morrison, Mamas & Papas & Patsy Cline being
> their particular faves. Tried Dylan out on them last week. They fled.

I know he's supposed to be some sort of genius, but...I would have fled
too.

Pam S.

bewtifulfreak
August 13th 03, 04:40 AM
"Sherry " > wrote in message

> Aww Pam. I wouldn't have fled. Nobody whines like Bob Dylan.

LOL....it's definitely true what they say about him being a poet, but I
noticed no one's ever really gone on about his singing.... ;)

Hopitus2
August 13th 03, 05:18 AM
Now that you're into the artistic geniuses of the 60's, who all pretty much
look like someone you wouldn't pick up as a hitchhiker (Dylan and Willie
Nelson included) our cats *do* seem comfortable with Arlo Guthrie's original
version of "City of New Orleans". Cats really don't care *what* you look
like; it's how you *smell* (familiar and loved hoomin) that counts, and how
you *sound* is incidental unless it tweaks those high-frequency tuned radar
ears of theirs. Beloved DurDur (RB) could not stand the tinkling sound of
those tiny toy robo-mechanical music makers (popular at holidays) and would
come over to put his paw on your hand if you were holding one while it was
going!

"bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message
: "Sherry " > wrote in message
: ...
:
: > Aww Pam. I wouldn't have fled. Nobody whines like Bob Dylan.
:
: LOL....it's definitely true what they say about him being a poet, but I
: noticed no one's ever really gone on about his singing.... ;)
:
:

Karen Chuplis
August 13th 03, 12:11 PM
in article , bewtifulfreak at
wrote on 8/12/03 10:40 PM:

> "Sherry " > wrote in message
>
>> Aww Pam. I wouldn't have fled. Nobody whines like Bob Dylan.
>
> LOL....it's definitely true what they say about him being a poet, but I
> noticed no one's ever really gone on about his singing.... ;)

His son has a better voice. I do like Jakob and the Wallflowers.

Karen

Tanada
August 13th 03, 06:41 PM
Karen Chuplis wrote:

> in article , bewtifulfreak at
> wrote on 8/12/03 10:40 PM:
>
> > "Sherry " > wrote in message
> >
> >> Aww Pam. I wouldn't have fled. Nobody whines like Bob Dylan.
> >
> > LOL....it's definitely true what they say about him being a poet, but I
> > noticed no one's ever really gone on about his singing.... ;)
> >

> His son has a better voice. I do like Jakob and the Wallflowers.

My son has a better voice than Bob Dylan, and the cats hide from him
too.

Pam S.

Sherry
August 14th 03, 04:01 AM
>Now that you're into the artistic geniuses of the 60's, who all pretty much
>look like someone you wouldn't pick up as a hitchhiker (Dylan and Willie
>Nelson included) our cats *do* seem comfortable with Arlo Guthrie's original
>version of "City of New Orleans".

But do they fully appreciate the artistic genius in "I Don't Want a Pickle (I
Just Want To Ride on my Motorsickle)?

Sherry