PDA

View Full Version : Briefing Cats on Contingency Plans ;-)

Howard Berkowitz
July 14th 04, 09:09 PM
My central air conditioning has died and I have to wait for some
customer payments before I get it fixed. Meanwhile, I do have a window
unit in the bedroom.

The traditional roles are that Mr. Clark is the principal bedtime cat,
cuddling and often getting on top as he grooms me. Rhonda is more the
morning and afternoon nap cat, who wants to converse and be petted more
than Mr. Clark's hugging.

Ding is the random element, who has no particular time, other than when
he decides the world will end unless his belly is scratched.At such
times, he runs at full speed to the bed, with a desperate expression in
his eyes, gives a hard head butt, and flips over onto his back.

Right now, Rhonda has figured out the bedroom has an adequate
temperature, but I don't think the boys have. When I pick Mr. Clark up
and take him upstairs, he seems quite happy to spend the night.

My challenge now is to get him (and Ding) to understand that if they
walk, under their own power, from the cooler 1st floor or basement to
the bedroom, they will find a pleasant space -- even with treats.

A secondary challenge is Rhonda having decided that she has claimed the
bed, so she MUST have petting priority. She will push between my hand
and Mr. Clark, although if I manage to skritch the base of his tail
while skritching her ears, he will turn and give her a bath. Ding may
randomly appear in any part of the process.

This is one of my concerns in fostering two more -- the interactions are
complex enough as it is. I don't _think_ that having enough hands to
deal with all the cats is quite grounds for rushing into a primary
relationship -- and since the human possibility generally does not like
cats in bed, that's a problem.

Karen
July 14th 04, 09:16 PM
ROFL!! A most entertaining description. RE: fostering. Well, I thought three
would be too many and I wouldn't have enough hands for skritching but they
worked out a schedule. My guess is it continues to just "happen" no matter
how many cats you add.

Karen

"Howard Berkowitz" > wrote in message
> [...]

> and take him upstairs, he seems quite happy to spend the night.
>
> My challenge now is to get him (and Ding) to understand that if they
> walk, under their own power, from the cooler 1st floor or basement to
> the bedroom, they will find a pleasant space -- even with treats.
>
> A secondary challenge is Rhonda having decided that she has claimed the
> bed, so she MUST have petting priority. She will push between my hand
> and Mr. Clark, although if I manage to skritch the base of his tail
> while skritching her ears, he will turn and give her a bath. Ding may
> randomly appear in any part of the process.
>
> This is one of my concerns in fostering two more -- the interactions are
> complex enough as it is. I don't _think_ that having enough hands to
> deal with all the cats is quite grounds for rushing into a primary
> relationship -- and since the human possibility generally does not like

July 14th 04, 11:09 PM
Howard Berkowitz > wrote:

> This is one of my concerns in fostering two more -- the interactions are
> complex enough as it is. I don't _think_ that having enough hands to
> deal with all the cats is quite grounds for rushing into a primary
> relationship -- and since the human possibility generally does not like
> cats in bed, that's a problem.

And *do* you have enough hands to deal with all the cats? Cats - 3,
hands - 2 (unless there's something about you we don't know :)). Fosters?
How many more hands would you need?

I think the human possibility might have to wait at least until your
customers pay their bills, and you can get the central a/c back on!

Joyce

July 14th 04, 11:09 PM

Howard Berkowitz > wrote:

> This is one of my concerns in fostering two more -- the interactions are
> complex enough as it is. I don't _think_ that having enough hands to
> deal with all the cats is quite grounds for rushing into a primary
> relationship -- and since the human possibility generally does not like
> cats in bed, that's a problem.

And *do* you have enough hands to deal with all the cats? Cats - 3,
hands - 2 (unless there's something about you we don't know :)). Fosters?
How many more hands would you need?

I think the human possibility might have to wait at least until your
customers pay their bills, and you can get the central a/c back on!

Joyce

Howard Berkowitz
July 15th 04, 02:51 AM
In article >, "Karen"
> wrote:

> ROFL!! A most entertaining description. RE: fostering. Well, I thought
> three
> would be too many and I wouldn't have enough hands for skritching but
> they
> worked out a schedule. My guess is it continues to just "happen" no
> matter
> how many cats you add.

Luckily, while Rhonda is actually an ordinary-sized cat of 8 pounds, she
is petite compared to the other two. When she gets on the inside, there
is usually enough space on my hand to cover her and a substantial
skritching zone on the next one.

Howard Berkowitz
July 15th 04, 02:51 AM
In article >, "Karen"
> wrote:

> ROFL!! A most entertaining description. RE: fostering. Well, I thought
> three
> would be too many and I wouldn't have enough hands for skritching but
> they
> worked out a schedule. My guess is it continues to just "happen" no
> matter
> how many cats you add.

Luckily, while Rhonda is actually an ordinary-sized cat of 8 pounds, she
is petite compared to the other two. When she gets on the inside, there
is usually enough space on my hand to cover her and a substantial
skritching zone on the next one.

Howard Berkowitz
July 15th 04, 02:51 AM
In article >, "Karen"
> wrote:

> ROFL!! A most entertaining description. RE: fostering. Well, I thought
> three
> would be too many and I wouldn't have enough hands for skritching but
> they
> worked out a schedule. My guess is it continues to just "happen" no
> matter
> how many cats you add.

Luckily, while Rhonda is actually an ordinary-sized cat of 8 pounds, she
is petite compared to the other two. When she gets on the inside, there
is usually enough space on my hand to cover her and a substantial
skritching zone on the next one.

Mary
July 15th 04, 04:04 PM
"Howard Berkowitz" > wrote in message
> My central air conditioning has died and I have to wait for some customer
payments before I get it fixed. Meanwhile, I do have a window unit in the
bedroom.

> The traditional roles are that Mr. Clark is the principal bedtime cat,
cuddling and often getting on top as he grooms me. Rhonda is more the
morning and afternoon nap cat, who wants to converse and be petted more
> than Mr. Clark's hugging.
>
> Ding is the random element, who has no particular time, other than when
he decides the world will end unless his belly is scratched.At such times,
he runs at full speed to the bed, with a desperate expression in
> his eyes, gives a hard head butt, and flips over onto his back.

Oh, no, you're not getting enough love. LOL! What great cats.

Mary
July 15th 04, 04:04 PM