PDA

View Full Version : Update on my brother Dick

Jo Firey
July 16th 04, 08:57 PM
It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his chest
and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as they
can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
knew who his family was and that they were there.

So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.

Love you guys

Jo

jmcquown
July 16th 04, 09:04 PM
Jo Firey wrote:
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He
> made it through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday.
> But he has been on a respirator since. For the most part they have
> been keeping him heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high.
> He has had a Cat scan that looks normal. He was off the respirator
> for a while yesterday and could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he
> still has a lot of gunk in his chest and since he isn't able to cough
> it out he is back on the respirator as they can suction it out with
> that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and knew who his family
> was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

Many PURRS and quiet little chirps from Peaches (so as not to disturb Dick)

Jill

jmcquown
July 16th 04, 09:04 PM

Jo Firey wrote:
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He
> made it through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday.
> But he has been on a respirator since. For the most part they have
> been keeping him heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high.
> He has had a Cat scan that looks normal. He was off the respirator
> for a while yesterday and could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he
> still has a lot of gunk in his chest and since he isn't able to cough
> it out he is back on the respirator as they can suction it out with
> that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and knew who his family
> was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

Many PURRS and quiet little chirps from Peaches (so as not to disturb Dick)

Jill

Karen
July 16th 04, 09:47 PM
Many more purrs coming Dick's way.

"Jo Firey" > wrote in message
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
> through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
> been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
> heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
> that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
> could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his
chest
> and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as
they
> can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
> knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
> don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

m. L. Briggs
July 16th 04, 10:16 PM
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:57:04 -0700, "Jo Firey" >
wrote:

>It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
>through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
>been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
>heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
>that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
>could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his chest
>and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as they
>can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
>knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
>So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
>don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
>Love you guys
>
>Jo

Will purr again for Dick. May his recovery br soon. MLB

wrote:

>It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
>through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
>been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
>heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
>that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
>could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his chest
>and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as they
>can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
>knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
>So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
>don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
>Love you guys
>
>Jo

Will purr again for Dick. May his recovery br soon. MLB

Cheryl
July 16th 04, 11:41 PM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Jo Firey"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 16 Jul 2004:

> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.

Still sending purrs and prayers for you brother and your family. Hang
in there!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 16th 04, 11:41 PM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Jo Firey"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 16 Jul 2004:

> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.

Still sending purrs and prayers for you brother and your family. Hang
in there!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 16th 04, 11:41 PM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Jo Firey"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 16 Jul 2004:

> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.

Still sending purrs and prayers for you brother and your family. Hang
in there!

--
Cheryl

John F. Eldredge
July 16th 04, 11:49 PM

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

John F. Eldredge
July 16th 04, 11:49 PM

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

John F. Eldredge
July 16th 04, 11:49 PM

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

Howard Berkowitz
July 17th 04, 01:38 AM
In article >, John F.
Eldredge > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:57:04 -0700, "Jo Firey" >
> wrote:
>
> >It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He
> >made it through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday.
> > But he has been on a respirator since. For the most part they have
> >been keeping him heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high.
> >He has had a Cat scan that looks normal. He was off the respirator
> >for a while yesterday and could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he
> >still has a lot of gunk in his chest and since he isn't able to
> >cough it out he is back on the respirator as they can suction it out
> >with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and knew who his
> >family was and that they were there.
> >
> >So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> >please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
> >
> >Love you guys
> >
> >Jo
> >

> I brought him up in the list of prayer requests in my Sunday School
> class last week, and will do so again.
>
> Will they have to clean out the blood that made it into other parts
> of his chest cavity, other than the lungs, or will his body adsorb
> that blood on its own?

Depends on the amount and where it is. That won't necessarily involve
surgery. Inserting tubes into the chest for suction drainage is a
routine procedure, which can be done at the bedside. They aren't painful
while in position, although, from personal experience, any physician who
thinks it's OK to pull one out without a local anesthetic should have
one pulled from HIS chest without a local anesthetic.

As far as the BP, there is a part of the brain called the baroceptor,
which regulates pressure; there's also a certain amount of control
(simplifying a bit here) from the kidneys. It's sometimes necessary to
hold the BP down artificially until the control mechanisms reprogram
themselves. Hard to guess exactly what's going on here without more
information, but people can recover from everything described.

Howard Berkowitz
July 17th 04, 01:38 AM

Eldredge > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:57:04 -0700, "Jo Firey" >
> wrote:
>
> >It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He
> >made it through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday.
> > But he has been on a respirator since. For the most part they have
> >been keeping him heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high.
> >He has had a Cat scan that looks normal. He was off the respirator
> >for a while yesterday and could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he
> >still has a lot of gunk in his chest and since he isn't able to
> >cough it out he is back on the respirator as they can suction it out
> >with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and knew who his
> >family was and that they were there.
> >
> >So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> >please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
> >
> >Love you guys
> >
> >Jo
> >

> I brought him up in the list of prayer requests in my Sunday School
> class last week, and will do so again.
>
> Will they have to clean out the blood that made it into other parts
> of his chest cavity, other than the lungs, or will his body adsorb
> that blood on its own?

Depends on the amount and where it is. That won't necessarily involve
surgery. Inserting tubes into the chest for suction drainage is a
routine procedure, which can be done at the bedside. They aren't painful
while in position, although, from personal experience, any physician who
thinks it's OK to pull one out without a local anesthetic should have
one pulled from HIS chest without a local anesthetic.

As far as the BP, there is a part of the brain called the baroceptor,
which regulates pressure; there's also a certain amount of control
(simplifying a bit here) from the kidneys. It's sometimes necessary to
hold the BP down artificially until the control mechanisms reprogram
themselves. Hard to guess exactly what's going on here without more
information, but people can recover from everything described.

JPHobbs
July 17th 04, 02:10 AM
Jo I missed quite a lot of stuff while I was staying with my daughter
because of the break in my footi dont know if I saw this I have a
feeling I might have sent purrs but anyway another armful of hugs
and purrs for your Brother, and you and your family Jean. P.

m. L. Briggs > wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:57:04 -0700, "Jo Firey" >
> wrote:
>
> >It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made
it
> >through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
> >been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
> >heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
> >that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
> >could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his
chest
> >and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as
they
> >can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
> >knew who his family was and that they were there.
> >
> >So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
> >don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
> >
> >Love you guys
> >
> >Jo
> >
> Will purr again for Dick. May his recovery br soon. MLB

Jo Firey
July 17th 04, 02:25 AM
"Howard Berkowitz" > wrote in message
> In article >, John F.
> Eldredge > wrote:

> > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:57:04 -0700, "Jo Firey" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He
> > >made it through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday.
> > > But he has been on a respirator since. For the most part they have
> > >been keeping him heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high.
> > >He has had a Cat scan that looks normal. He was off the respirator
> > >for a while yesterday and could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he
> > >still has a lot of gunk in his chest and since he isn't able to
> > >cough it out he is back on the respirator as they can suction it out
> > >with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and knew who his
> > >family was and that they were there.
> > >
> > >So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> > >please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
> > >
> > >Love you guys
> > >
> > >Jo
> > >

> > I brought him up in the list of prayer requests in my Sunday School
> > class last week, and will do so again.
> >
> > Will they have to clean out the blood that made it into other parts
> > of his chest cavity, other than the lungs, or will his body adsorb
> > that blood on its own?
>
> Depends on the amount and where it is. That won't necessarily involve
> surgery. Inserting tubes into the chest for suction drainage is a
> routine procedure, which can be done at the bedside. They aren't painful
> while in position, although, from personal experience, any physician who
> thinks it's OK to pull one out without a local anesthetic should have
> one pulled from HIS chest without a local anesthetic.
>
> As far as the BP, there is a part of the brain called the baroceptor,
> which regulates pressure; there's also a certain amount of control
> (simplifying a bit here) from the kidneys. It's sometimes necessary to
> hold the BP down artificially until the control mechanisms reprogram
> themselves. Hard to guess exactly what's going on here without more
> information, but people can recover from everything described.

Thank you for the information. Dick's wife Jeanetta is a very experienced
nurse, but I suspect in these circumstances all that does is let her know
everything that can go wrong so she can just worry non-stop. And I'm
getting all my information from them second and third hand as I'm deaf and
cannot use the phone. They either call and Charlie tells me his version of
what is happening or they call my sister and she emails me her version.
(Can you tell I want to be there so I know for sure how he is?)

He is having some infection problems from tubes that needed to be replaced
but is on antibiotics for that. Oh, and the swelling in his face has
improved, and I'm guessing that means his kidneys are getting with the
system.

> [...]

> themselves. Hard to guess exactly what's going on here without more
> information, but people can recover from everything described.

Thank you for the information. Dick's wife Jeanetta is a very experienced
nurse, but I suspect in these circumstances all that does is let her know
everything that can go wrong so she can just worry non-stop. And I'm
getting all my information from them second and third hand as I'm deaf and
cannot use the phone. They either call and Charlie tells me his version of
what is happening or they call my sister and she emails me her version.
(Can you tell I want to be there so I know for sure how he is?)

He is having some infection problems from tubes that needed to be replaced
but is on antibiotics for that. Oh, and the swelling in his face has
improved, and I'm guessing that means his kidneys are getting with the

Sam Nash
July 17th 04, 07:57 AM
"Jo Firey" > wrote in message
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
> through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
> been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
> heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
> that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
> could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his
chest
> and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as
they
> can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
> knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
> don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

My crew isn't quitting on the purrin' until you tell us it's OK, Jo.
Sam

Sam Nash
July 17th 04, 07:57 AM

"Jo Firey" > wrote in message
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
> through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
> been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
> heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
> that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
> could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his
chest
> and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as
they
> can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
> knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
> don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

My crew isn't quitting on the purrin' until you tell us it's OK, Jo.
Sam

Adrian
July 17th 04, 12:56 PM
Jo Firey wrote:
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He
> made it through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday.
> But he has been on a respirator since. For the most part they have
> been keeping him heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high.
> He has had a Cat scan that looks normal. He was off the respirator
> for a while yesterday and could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he
> still has a lot of gunk in his chest and since he isn't able to cough
> it out he is back on the respirator as they can suction it out with
> that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and knew who his family
> was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

Continuing purrs, keep us updated.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Adrian
July 17th 04, 12:56 PM

Jo Firey wrote:
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He
> made it through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday.
> But he has been on a respirator since. For the most part they have
> been keeping him heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high.
> He has had a Cat scan that looks normal. He was off the respirator
> for a while yesterday and could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he
> still has a lot of gunk in his chest and since he isn't able to cough
> it out he is back on the respirator as they can suction it out with
> that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and knew who his family
> was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just
> please don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

Continuing purrs, keep us updated.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

SUQKRT
July 17th 04, 07:54 PM
In article >, "Jo Firey" >
wrote:

>So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
>don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
>Love you guys
>
>Jo

Purrs continuing.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

SUQKRT
July 17th 04, 07:54 PM

wrote:

>So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
>don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
>Love you guys
>
>Jo

Purrs continuing.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Steve Touchstone
July 17th 04, 10:36 PM
wrote:

>It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
>through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
>been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
>heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
>that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
>could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his chest
>and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as they
>can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
>knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
>So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
>don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.

Continuing purrs for your brother's recovery
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

Steve Touchstone
July 17th 04, 10:36 PM

wrote:

>It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
>through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
>been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
>heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
>that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
>could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his chest
>and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as they
>can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
>knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
>So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
>don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.

Continuing purrs for your brother's recovery
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

LOL
July 19th 04, 06:15 AM
"Jo Firey" > wrote in message >...
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
> through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
> been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
> heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
> that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
> could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his chest
> and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as they
> can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
> knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
> don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

Purrs and prayers are still headed his way.
------
Krista

LOL
July 19th 04, 06:15 AM

"Jo Firey" > wrote in message >...
> It's been a rough week for my brother Dick and for our family. He made it
> through the surgery to put a patch on his aorta last Friday. But he has
> been on a respirator since. For the most part they have been keeping him
> heavily sedated. Otherwise his BP goes sky high. He has had a Cat scan
> that looks normal. He was off the respirator for a while yesterday and
> could squeeze Jeanetta's hand. But he still has a lot of gunk in his chest
> and since he isn't able to cough it out he is back on the respirator as they
> can suction it out with that. He was able to talk a little yesterday and
> knew who his family was and that they were there.
>
> So thank you all for you good wishes and for your prayers. Just please
> don't quit quite yet. We still have a long way to go.
>
> Love you guys
>
> Jo

Purrs and prayers are still headed his way.
------
Krista

polonca12000
July 19th 04, 10:15 PM
Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for Dick and gentle calming hugs for
the rest of his worried family,
--
Polonca & Soncek