PDA

View Full Version : There's a cat in my bathtub

Bridget
July 18th 04, 02:43 PM
and in my closet. And they aren't my cats. And I'm trying to figure
out how I am going to take a shower again because this lovely cat is
firmly esconced in my bathtub.

Somehow, and I haven't figured out how yet, I ended up catsitting for
someone who is going to be giving these two cats away but can't do it
yet because her father just had his leg amputated (they are his cats and
he won't be able to care for them when he finally gets home in four to
five months after rehab). So, anyhow, I now have these two cats, one in
my bathtub - I put some towels in there for her (she seems appreciative
as she lays only on the towels) and one who finally claimed a spot in
the closet.

Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
incredibly sharp when they hiss. Did I mention how sharp those teeth
look? I try to go and make sure they see me a little bit every few
hours. It takes a lot of bravery to put my hand up there for them to
rub against though while they growl and hiss at me. I remember other's
hospital stays for cat bites. I just don't EVEN think I want to follow
in their footsteps.

As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
apartment. They are doing what they want where they want and so on.
They are their usual calm kitty selves. I did not expect that out of
The Stripey Thing. But then, the interlopers seem to have confined
themselves out of his sight, so they aren't in his face either.

Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.

Bridget

jmcquown
July 18th 04, 03:01 PM
Bridget wrote:

> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Bridget

Betcha if you get in the tub and turn on the water, the interloper will
split! :)

Jill

jmcquown
July 18th 04, 03:01 PM

Bridget wrote:

> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Bridget

Betcha if you get in the tub and turn on the water, the interloper will
split! :)

Jill

Karen Chuplis
July 18th 04, 05:13 PM
in article [email protected]_s53, Bridget at
wrote on 7/18/04 8:43AM:

> and in my closet. And they aren't my cats. And I'm trying to figure
> out how I am going to take a shower again because this lovely cat is
> firmly esconced in my bathtub.
>
> Somehow, and I haven't figured out how yet, I ended up catsitting for
> someone who is going to be giving these two cats away but can't do it
> yet because her father just had his leg amputated (they are his cats and
> he won't be able to care for them when he finally gets home in four to
> five months after rehab). So, anyhow, I now have these two cats, one in
> my bathtub - I put some towels in there for her (she seems appreciative
> as she lays only on the towels) and one who finally claimed a spot in
> the closet.
>
> Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
> hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
> incredibly sharp when they hiss. Did I mention how sharp those teeth
> look? I try to go and make sure they see me a little bit every few
> hours. It takes a lot of bravery to put my hand up there for them to
> rub against though while they growl and hiss at me. I remember other's
> hospital stays for cat bites. I just don't EVEN think I want to follow
> in their footsteps.
>
> As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
> unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
> apartment. They are doing what they want where they want and so on.
> They are their usual calm kitty selves. I did not expect that out of
> The Stripey Thing. But then, the interlopers seem to have confined
> themselves out of his sight, so they aren't in his face either.
>
> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Bridget

Poor kitties. Are they sure he cannot take care of them? Does *he* want to
give them up? It's very nice of you to watch them.

wrote on 7/18/04 8:43AM:

> and in my closet. And they aren't my cats. And I'm trying to figure
> out how I am going to take a shower again because this lovely cat is
> firmly esconced in my bathtub.
>
> Somehow, and I haven't figured out how yet, I ended up catsitting for
> someone who is going to be giving these two cats away but can't do it
> yet because her father just had his leg amputated (they are his cats and
> he won't be able to care for them when he finally gets home in four to
> five months after rehab). So, anyhow, I now have these two cats, one in
> my bathtub - I put some towels in there for her (she seems appreciative
> as she lays only on the towels) and one who finally claimed a spot in
> the closet.
>
> Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
> hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
> incredibly sharp when they hiss. Did I mention how sharp those teeth
> look? I try to go and make sure they see me a little bit every few
> hours. It takes a lot of bravery to put my hand up there for them to
> rub against though while they growl and hiss at me. I remember other's
> hospital stays for cat bites. I just don't EVEN think I want to follow
> in their footsteps.
>
> As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
> unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
> apartment. They are doing what they want where they want and so on.
> They are their usual calm kitty selves. I did not expect that out of
> The Stripey Thing. But then, the interlopers seem to have confined
> themselves out of his sight, so they aren't in his face either.
>
> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Bridget

Poor kitties. Are they sure he cannot take care of them? Does *he* want to
give them up? It's very nice of you to watch them.

Duke of URL
July 18th 04, 05:51 PM
jmcquown wrote:
> Bridget wrote:
>
>> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Betcha if you get in the tub and turn on the water, the interloper
> will split! :)

Hmph, whatta weenie. Killer *owns* my tub, especially when the weather is
hot. He spreads out in it & lays his head in the waterdish. If I turn the
water on, he sits up and watches it slowly move in on him. He'd sit there
while it rose around him if I didn't tell him "Scoot"; fortunately, that's
one of the words he understands and cooperates with.
Life with a cat who thinks he's a big dog is interesting...
--
The One-and-only Holy Moses™

Duke of URL
July 18th 04, 05:51 PM

jmcquown wrote:
> Bridget wrote:
>
>> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Betcha if you get in the tub and turn on the water, the interloper
> will split! :)

Hmph, whatta weenie. Killer *owns* my tub, especially when the weather is
hot. He spreads out in it & lays his head in the waterdish. If I turn the
water on, he sits up and watches it slowly move in on him. He'd sit there
while it rose around him if I didn't tell him "Scoot"; fortunately, that's
one of the words he understands and cooperates with.
Life with a cat who thinks he's a big dog is interesting...
--
The One-and-only Holy Moses™

Steve Touchstone
July 18th 04, 07:34 PM
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:43:53 GMT, Bridget >
wrote:

<snip>

>Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
>hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
>incredibly sharp when they hiss.

LOL Seriously, though, Rocky still has the does that sometimes. He'll
come up looking for petting, give you a heatbutt to get your
attention, and when you bend over he growls and hisses. Sometimes even
does it while he's purring. It threw me off at first, since I was
watching for signs of over stimulation and all that, but he's never
tried to bite, or even purposely scratched me. I figure it's just one
of the things he carried over from being feral, like not seeming to be
able to learn not to use claws when playing.

>As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
>unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
>apartment.

Glad they're being such good hosts. Purrs that they continue to be
when the visitors get a little more comfortable and venture out.

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

Steve Touchstone
July 18th 04, 07:34 PM
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:43:53 GMT, Bridget >
wrote:

<snip>

>Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
>hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
>incredibly sharp when they hiss.

LOL Seriously, though, Rocky still has the does that sometimes. He'll
come up looking for petting, give you a heatbutt to get your
attention, and when you bend over he growls and hisses. Sometimes even
does it while he's purring. It threw me off at first, since I was
watching for signs of over stimulation and all that, but he's never
tried to bite, or even purposely scratched me. I figure it's just one
of the things he carried over from being feral, like not seeming to be
able to learn not to use claws when playing.

>As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
>unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
>apartment.

Glad they're being such good hosts. Purrs that they continue to be
when the visitors get a little more comfortable and venture out.

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

Steve Touchstone
July 18th 04, 07:34 PM
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:43:53 GMT, Bridget >
wrote:

<snip>

>Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
>hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
>incredibly sharp when they hiss.

LOL Seriously, though, Rocky still has the does that sometimes. He'll
come up looking for petting, give you a heatbutt to get your
attention, and when you bend over he growls and hisses. Sometimes even
does it while he's purring. It threw me off at first, since I was
watching for signs of over stimulation and all that, but he's never
tried to bite, or even purposely scratched me. I figure it's just one
of the things he carried over from being feral, like not seeming to be
able to learn not to use claws when playing.

>As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
>unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
>apartment.

Glad they're being such good hosts. Purrs that they continue to be
when the visitors get a little more comfortable and venture out.

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

Jo Firey
July 18th 04, 08:17 PM
How friendly are you with the neighbors? (Grinning and hiding)

Jo

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> and in my closet. And they aren't my cats. And I'm trying to figure
> out how I am going to take a shower again because this lovely cat is
> firmly esconced in my bathtub.
>
> Somehow, and I haven't figured out how yet, I ended up catsitting for
> someone who is going to be giving these two cats away but can't do it
> yet because her father just had his leg amputated (they are his cats and
> he won't be able to care for them when he finally gets home in four to
> five months after rehab). So, anyhow, I now have these two cats, one in
> my bathtub - I put some towels in there for her (she seems appreciative
> as she lays only on the towels) and one who finally claimed a spot in
> the closet.
>
> Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
> hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
> incredibly sharp when they hiss. Did I mention how sharp those teeth
> look? I try to go and make sure they see me a little bit every few
> hours. It takes a lot of bravery to put my hand up there for them to
> rub against though while they growl and hiss at me. I remember other's
> hospital stays for cat bites. I just don't EVEN think I want to follow
> in their footsteps.
>
> As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
> unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
> apartment. They are doing what they want where they want and so on.
> They are their usual calm kitty selves. I did not expect that out of
> The Stripey Thing. But then, the interlopers seem to have confined
> themselves out of his sight, so they aren't in his face either.
>
> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Bridget

Jo Firey
July 18th 04, 08:17 PM
How friendly are you with the neighbors? (Grinning and hiding)

Jo

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> and in my closet. And they aren't my cats. And I'm trying to figure
> out how I am going to take a shower again because this lovely cat is
> firmly esconced in my bathtub.
>
> Somehow, and I haven't figured out how yet, I ended up catsitting for
> someone who is going to be giving these two cats away but can't do it
> yet because her father just had his leg amputated (they are his cats and
> he won't be able to care for them when he finally gets home in four to
> five months after rehab). So, anyhow, I now have these two cats, one in
> my bathtub - I put some towels in there for her (she seems appreciative
> as she lays only on the towels) and one who finally claimed a spot in
> the closet.
>
> Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
> hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
> incredibly sharp when they hiss. Did I mention how sharp those teeth
> look? I try to go and make sure they see me a little bit every few
> hours. It takes a lot of bravery to put my hand up there for them to
> rub against though while they growl and hiss at me. I remember other's
> hospital stays for cat bites. I just don't EVEN think I want to follow
> in their footsteps.
>
> As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
> unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
> apartment. They are doing what they want where they want and so on.
> They are their usual calm kitty selves. I did not expect that out of
> The Stripey Thing. But then, the interlopers seem to have confined
> themselves out of his sight, so they aren't in his face either.
>
> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Bridget

Jo Firey
July 18th 04, 08:17 PM
How friendly are you with the neighbors? (Grinning and hiding)

Jo

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> and in my closet. And they aren't my cats. And I'm trying to figure
> out how I am going to take a shower again because this lovely cat is
> firmly esconced in my bathtub.
>
> Somehow, and I haven't figured out how yet, I ended up catsitting for
> someone who is going to be giving these two cats away but can't do it
> yet because her father just had his leg amputated (they are his cats and
> he won't be able to care for them when he finally gets home in four to
> five months after rehab). So, anyhow, I now have these two cats, one in
> my bathtub - I put some towels in there for her (she seems appreciative
> as she lays only on the towels) and one who finally claimed a spot in
> the closet.
>
> Both of them have very mixed emotions about seeing me. They growl and
> hiss even as they rub their heads up against my hand. Those teeth look
> incredibly sharp when they hiss. Did I mention how sharp those teeth
> look? I try to go and make sure they see me a little bit every few
> hours. It takes a lot of bravery to put my hand up there for them to
> rub against though while they growl and hiss at me. I remember other's
> hospital stays for cat bites. I just don't EVEN think I want to follow
> in their footsteps.
>
> As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
> unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
> apartment. They are doing what they want where they want and so on.
> They are their usual calm kitty selves. I did not expect that out of
> The Stripey Thing. But then, the interlopers seem to have confined
> themselves out of his sight, so they aren't in his face either.
>
> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
>
> Bridget

Howard Berkowitz
July 18th 04, 10:38 PM
In article >, "Duke of URL"
> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Bridget wrote:
> >
> >> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
> >
> > Betcha if you get in the tub and turn on the water, the interloper
> > will split! :)
>
> Hmph, whatta weenie. Killer *owns* my tub, especially when the weather is
> hot. He spreads out in it & lays his head in the waterdish. If I turn the
> water on, he sits up and watches it slowly move in on him. He'd sit there
> while it rose around him if I didn't tell him "Scoot"; fortunately, that's
> one of the words he understands and cooperates with.
> Life with a cat who thinks he's a big dog is interesting...

Ding and Rhonda love the bathtub as a sort of boxing ring. They have
worked bouncing off the sides into their movements, so it becomes as
much jai-alai as a martial art!

Howard Berkowitz
July 18th 04, 10:38 PM
In article >, "Duke of URL"
> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Bridget wrote:
> >
> >> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
> >
> > Betcha if you get in the tub and turn on the water, the interloper
> > will split! :)
>
> Hmph, whatta weenie. Killer *owns* my tub, especially when the weather is
> hot. He spreads out in it & lays his head in the waterdish. If I turn the
> water on, he sits up and watches it slowly move in on him. He'd sit there
> while it rose around him if I didn't tell him "Scoot"; fortunately, that's
> one of the words he understands and cooperates with.
> Life with a cat who thinks he's a big dog is interesting...

Ding and Rhonda love the bathtub as a sort of boxing ring. They have
worked bouncing off the sides into their movements, so it becomes as
much jai-alai as a martial art!

Howard Berkowitz
July 18th 04, 10:38 PM
In article >, "Duke of URL"
> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Bridget wrote:
> >
> >> Drat, I hear my neighbors taking a shower. I wish I could take one.
> >
> > Betcha if you get in the tub and turn on the water, the interloper
> > will split! :)
>
> Hmph, whatta weenie. Killer *owns* my tub, especially when the weather is
> hot. He spreads out in it & lays his head in the waterdish. If I turn the
> water on, he sits up and watches it slowly move in on him. He'd sit there
> while it rose around him if I didn't tell him "Scoot"; fortunately, that's
> one of the words he understands and cooperates with.
> Life with a cat who thinks he's a big dog is interesting...

Ding and Rhonda love the bathtub as a sort of boxing ring. They have
worked bouncing off the sides into their movements, so it becomes as
much jai-alai as a martial art!

Bridget
July 19th 04, 02:08 AM
Steve Touchstone wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:43:53 GMT, Bridget >
> wrote:

>>As for my two - Tony and The Stripey Thing - they seem pretty much
>>unaffected by the fact there are two strangers in the little tiny
>>apartment.
>

> Glad they're being such good hosts. Purrs that they continue to be
> when the visitors get a little more comfortable and venture out.

Good hostship ended earlier today when Jill tried to leave the bathroom.
The Stripey Thing noticed and did a good imitation of a banshee as he
chased her back into the bathtub. I do not take this as a good sign.
At the moment, I have three setups of food, water and litter boxes so
that everyone feels comfortable with at least one setup.

On the plus side, Tony is his usual friendly self and just ignores Jill
hissing at him when he's in the bathroom with me.

Bridget

Bridget
July 19th 04, 02:08 AM