PDA

View Full Version : Willow's prize catch

Debbie Wilson
July 21st 04, 06:26 PM
Hi all,

Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366

NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
not to look...

Deb :-)

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Dhelderman
July 21st 04, 06:43 PM
what was that thing?? it sure looked like a snake to me... had to stand five
feet away from the computer when i saw it (shivers)

the insane one

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Dhelderman
July 21st 04, 06:43 PM
what was that thing?? it sure looked like a snake to me... had to stand five
feet away from the computer when i saw it (shivers)

the insane one

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Dhelderman
July 21st 04, 06:43 PM
what was that thing?? it sure looked like a snake to me... had to stand five
feet away from the computer when i saw it (shivers)

the insane one

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Karen
July 21st 04, 06:54 PM
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)

It's not a snake?? Wow. Sure looks like one. How big was it?

Karen
July 21st 04, 06:54 PM
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)

It's not a snake?? Wow. Sure looks like one. How big was it?

Karen
July 21st 04, 06:54 PM
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)

It's not a snake?? Wow. Sure looks like one. How big was it?

lrulan
July 21st 04, 08:15 PM
oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic, and
now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

lrulan
July 21st 04, 08:15 PM
oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic, and
now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

lrulan
July 21st 04, 08:15 PM
oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic, and
now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Gracecat
July 21st 04, 08:26 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml

She's right, it's a slow worm.

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Gracecat
July 21st 04, 08:26 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml

She's right, it's a slow worm.

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Gracecat
July 21st 04, 08:26 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml

She's right, it's a slow worm.

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Sherry
July 21st 04, 10:22 PM
>> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
>> not to look...
>>
>> Deb :-)

Gahh! You call that a worm? Where do you live, Texas? ;-)

Sherry

Sherry
July 21st 04, 10:22 PM
>> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
>> not to look...
>>
>> Deb :-)

Gahh! You call that a worm? Where do you live, Texas? ;-)

Sherry

Sherry
July 21st 04, 10:22 PM
>> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
>> not to look...
>>
>> Deb :-)

Gahh! You call that a worm? Where do you live, Texas? ;-)

Sherry

Sherry
July 21st 04, 10:23 PM
>oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic, and
>now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.

Oh no! I didn't realize you felt that way. I think I've posted snake pics more
than once. I hope they were labeled as such!

Sherry

Sherry
July 21st 04, 10:23 PM
>oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic, and
>now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.

Oh no! I didn't realize you felt that way. I think I've posted snake pics more
than once. I hope they were labeled as such!

Sherry

Sherry
July 21st 04, 10:23 PM
>oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic, and
>now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.

Oh no! I didn't realize you felt that way. I think I've posted snake pics more
than once. I hope they were labeled as such!

Sherry

lrulan
July 21st 04, 10:51 PM
Sherry, no need to apologize! I just hate snakes, hehe. Now, my
long-departed mother loved snakes!!! Go figure.
You did put a warning, but *I* did look, so it's not your fault. I'm just
silly that way. :)
Jazz's mama

--

"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic,
and
> >now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.
> >

> Oh no! I didn't realize you felt that way. I think I've posted snake pics
more
> than once. I hope they were labeled as such!
>
> Sherry

John F. Eldredge
July 21st 04, 10:53 PM

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

John F. Eldredge
July 21st 04, 10:53 PM

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

John F. Eldredge
July 21st 04, 10:53 PM

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

Seanette Blaylock
July 22nd 04, 01:06 AM
(Debbie Wilson) had some very interesting
things to say about Willow's prize catch:

>Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.

Got any pictures of this critter?

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on Willow's current trophy. I'm seriously
ophidiophobic, so gave the actual picture a pass :-). [I'm not quite
as bad as one poor gent in alt.recovery.clutter. He can't even type
the *word* "snake". He calls them "limbless things".]

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL

Seanette Blaylock
July 22nd 04, 01:06 AM
(Debbie Wilson) had some very interesting
things to say about Willow's prize catch:

>Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.

Got any pictures of this critter?

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on Willow's current trophy. I'm seriously
ophidiophobic, so gave the actual picture a pass :-). [I'm not quite
as bad as one poor gent in alt.recovery.clutter. He can't even type
the *word* "snake". He calls them "limbless things".]

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL

Seanette Blaylock
July 22nd 04, 01:06 AM
(Debbie Wilson) had some very interesting
things to say about Willow's prize catch:

>Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.

Got any pictures of this critter?

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on Willow's current trophy. I'm seriously
ophidiophobic, so gave the actual picture a pass :-). [I'm not quite
as bad as one poor gent in alt.recovery.clutter. He can't even type
the *word* "snake". He calls them "limbless things".]

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL

Steve Touchstone
July 22nd 04, 01:42 AM
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:26:35 -0500, "Gracecat"
> wrote:

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml
>
>She's right, it's a slow worm.
I googled slow worm and came up with the same site. Like some others,
I had never heard of them, but I guess because they are mainly
European (and a little into north west Asia). It doesn't look like we
have them here in the Americas. Sounds like the biggest difference is
the eyelids on the slow worm (and other legged lizards) while snakes
don't have them.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

Steve Touchstone
July 22nd 04, 01:42 AM
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:26:35 -0500, "Gracecat"
> wrote:

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml
>
>She's right, it's a slow worm.
I googled slow worm and came up with the same site. Like some others,
I had never heard of them, but I guess because they are mainly
European (and a little into north west Asia). It doesn't look like we
have them here in the Americas. Sounds like the biggest difference is
the eyelids on the slow worm (and other legged lizards) while snakes
don't have them.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

Steve Touchstone
July 22nd 04, 01:42 AM
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:26:35 -0500, "Gracecat"
> wrote:

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml
>
>She's right, it's a slow worm.
I googled slow worm and came up with the same site. Like some others,
I had never heard of them, but I guess because they are mainly
European (and a little into north west Asia). It doesn't look like we
have them here in the Americas. Sounds like the biggest difference is
the eyelids on the slow worm (and other legged lizards) while snakes
don't have them.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/index.html

Cheryl
July 22nd 04, 03:22 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Gracecat"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 21 Jul 2004:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml
>
> She's right, it's a slow worm.

I just loved this line: "Slow worms have smooth and shiny snake-like
bodies with an indistinct head, and can be distinguished from snakes
by the presence of eyelids" You have to get a little too close to see
them, right? Mmmm, no. Not me. :O)

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 22nd 04, 03:22 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Gracecat"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 21 Jul 2004:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml
>
> She's right, it's a slow worm.

I just loved this line: "Slow worms have smooth and shiny snake-like
bodies with an indistinct head, and can be distinguished from snakes
by the presence of eyelids" You have to get a little too close to see
them, right? Mmmm, no. Not me. :O)

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 22nd 04, 03:22 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Gracecat"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 21 Jul 2004:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml
>
> She's right, it's a slow worm.

I just loved this line: "Slow worms have smooth and shiny snake-like
bodies with an indistinct head, and can be distinguished from snakes
by the presence of eyelids" You have to get a little too close to see
them, right? Mmmm, no. Not me. :O)

--
Cheryl

Sam Nash
July 22nd 04, 04:45 AM
Ummm. Looks like a snake to me.
Sam
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Sam Nash
July 22nd 04, 04:45 AM
Ummm. Looks like a snake to me.
Sam
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Sam Nash
July 22nd 04, 04:45 AM
Ummm. Looks like a snake to me.
Sam
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
> Here is what she brought in today. Please note - it was completely
> unharmed and very lively, and we released it immediately after taking a
> few photos! Isn't he gorgeous?
>
> http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/diatomdeb/album?.dir=/6366
>
> NB. it ISN'T a snake, but if you're really snake-phobic, probably best
> not to look...
>
> Deb :-)
>
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Dhelderman
July 22nd 04, 05:50 AM
america doesn't have a slow worm but we have a worm snake that looks exactly
like the slow worm..

--

the insane one

http://photos.yahoo.com/lnsanecat
"Steve Touchstone" > wrote in message
> [...]

like the slow worm..

--

the insane one

http://photos.yahoo.com/lnsanecat
"Steve Touchstone" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:26:35 -0500, "Gracecat"
> > wrote:
>
> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/281.shtml
> >
> >She's right, it's a slow worm.
> I googled slow worm and came up with the same site. Like some others,
> I had never heard of them, but I guess because they are mainly
> European (and a little into north west Asia). It doesn't look like we
> have them here in the Americas. Sounds like the biggest difference is
> the eyelids on the slow worm (and other legged lizards) while snakes
> don't have them.
> --
> Steve Touchstone,
> faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky

July 22nd 04, 12:12 PM
Karen > wrote:

> It's not a snake?? Wow. Sure looks like one. How big was it?

Cute, isn't it? It was actually tiny - its body is about the same size
around as a slender finger. We get all varieties of colours too - this
one was standard tawny brown but I've seen them quite reddish through to
slate grey, very beautfiul.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Debbie Wilson
July 22nd 04, 12:12 PM
Seanette Blaylock > wrote:

> (Debbie Wilson) had some very interesting
> things to say about Willow's prize catch:
>
> >Willow's last catch was a 5-legged cricket sometime back in 1997.
>
> Got any pictures of this critter?

Unfortunately no - it was big and green, we get them fairly often in
summer. She was very proud :)

> BTW, thanks for the heads-up on Willow's current trophy. I'm seriously
> ophidiophobic, so gave the actual picture a pass :-). [I'm not quite
> as bad as one poor gent in alt.recovery.clutter. He can't even type
> the *word* "snake". He calls them "limbless things".]

Gosh - that *is* bad.
Glad I put the warning in - I almost didn't, as it isn't actually a
you-know-what, but then thought better...

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Debbie Wilson
July 22nd 04, 12:12 PM
Sherry > wrote:

> Gahh! You call that a worm? Where do you live, Texas? ;-)

:-))) Sorry... *beg*

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Debbie Wilson
July 22nd 04, 12:12 PM

lrulan > wrote:

> oh my god. I didn't heed your warning and 'looked'. I an snake-phobic, and
> now I wish I hadn't 'looked'.

Sorry about that Irulan.... you defintely wouldn't like it here in that
case! On the other side of the room is a beautiful, but definitely
snake-y, Californian King Snake. Hours of entertainment for Bracken
though! He peers over the top of its tank like Kermit the Frog, watching
in fascination. ;-)

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com