PDA

View Full Version : Cats and pork

Ed
August 7th 04, 09:17 AM
Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.

Yowie
August 7th 04, 09:49 AM
"Ed" > wrote in message
> Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
> this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.

As long as the pork is cooked, you don't give them the bones, and its a
treat rather than the main or sole part of their diet, I can't see why it
would be a problem.

Although, of course, I'm not a vet.

Yowie

Yowie
August 7th 04, 09:49 AM

"Ed" > wrote in message
> Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
> this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.

As long as the pork is cooked, you don't give them the bones, and its a
treat rather than the main or sole part of their diet, I can't see why it
would be a problem.

Although, of course, I'm not a vet.

Yowie

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
August 7th 04, 10:56 AM
>Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
>this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.

As long as it's cooked, with no bones, a little bit isn't going to harm them.
Cats are, after all, carnivores.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
August 7th 04, 10:56 AM
>Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
>this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.

As long as it's cooked, with no bones, a little bit isn't going to harm them.
Cats are, after all, carnivores.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
August 7th 04, 10:56 AM
>Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
>this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.

As long as it's cooked, with no bones, a little bit isn't going to harm them.
Cats are, after all, carnivores.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Marina
August 8th 04, 08:48 AM
"Seanette Blaylock" > wrote
> "Marina" > had some very interesting things
> to say about Re: Cats and pork:
>
> >> TTBOMELK,
> >Huh??
>
> To The Best Of My Extremely Limited Knowledge :-)

Thanks, Seanette. You seem to have an unending store of acronyms. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Marina
August 8th 04, 08:48 AM
"Seanette Blaylock" > wrote
> "Marina" > had some very interesting things
> to say about Re: Cats and pork:
>
> >> TTBOMELK,
> >Huh??
>
> To The Best Of My Extremely Limited Knowledge :-)

Thanks, Seanette. You seem to have an unending store of acronyms. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Marina
August 8th 04, 08:48 AM
"Seanette Blaylock" > wrote
> "Marina" > had some very interesting things
> to say about Re: Cats and pork:
>
> >> TTBOMELK,
> >Huh??
>
> To The Best Of My Extremely Limited Knowledge :-)

Thanks, Seanette. You seem to have an unending store of acronyms. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

JPHobbs
August 8th 04, 01:35 PM
Wilson likes a bit of pork occasionally
Henri RB liked a bit of silverside or corned beef
but the Vet said not to give him that, so he had chicken
instead, he loved that but only the breast, would never
eat the thigh.

Sherry > wrote in message
> >Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
> >this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.
>
> Well, after, all, it's "the other white meat" :-)
> I'd guess a bit of cooked pork chop is much better for them than any
commercial
> cat treat that's probably full of preservatives and dyes!
>
> Sherry

Bill Stock
August 8th 04, 03:19 PM
"JPHobbs" > wrote in message
> Wilson likes a bit of pork occasionally
> Henri RB liked a bit of silverside or corned beef
> but the Vet said not to give him that, so he had chicken
> instead, he loved that but only the breast, would never
> eat the thigh.

Cali LOVES Bacon.

> Sherry > wrote in message
> > >Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
> > >this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.
> >
> > Well, after, all, it's "the other white meat" :-)
> > I'd guess a bit of cooked pork chop is much better for them than any
> commercial
> > cat treat that's probably full of preservatives and dyes!
> >
> > Sherry

Bill Stock
August 8th 04, 03:19 PM
"JPHobbs" > wrote in message
> Wilson likes a bit of pork occasionally
> Henri RB liked a bit of silverside or corned beef
> but the Vet said not to give him that, so he had chicken
> instead, he loved that but only the breast, would never
> eat the thigh.

Cali LOVES Bacon.

> Sherry > wrote in message
> > >Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
> > >this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.
> >
> > Well, after, all, it's "the other white meat" :-)
> > I'd guess a bit of cooked pork chop is much better for them than any
> commercial
> > cat treat that's probably full of preservatives and dyes!
> >
> > Sherry

Bill Stock
August 8th 04, 03:19 PM
"JPHobbs" > wrote in message
> Wilson likes a bit of pork occasionally
> Henri RB liked a bit of silverside or corned beef
> but the Vet said not to give him that, so he had chicken
> instead, he loved that but only the breast, would never
> eat the thigh.

Cali LOVES Bacon.

> Sherry > wrote in message
> > >Is it bad for a cat to eat pork? A few people tell me they heard
> > >this. I give my cat a small amout when I have pork chops.
> >
> > Well, after, all, it's "the other white meat" :-)
> > I'd guess a bit of cooked pork chop is much better for them than any
> commercial
> > cat treat that's probably full of preservatives and dyes!
> >
> > Sherry

Bill Stock
August 8th 04, 03:21 PM
"Seanette Blaylock" > wrote in
message ...
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > had some very
> interesting things to say about Re: Cats and pork:
>
> >Actually, it was I, not Sherry, who posted the bit about the "Pounce"
> >stain, but thanks for the advice - I'll try it. (I have a couple other
> >stubborn stains I'd like to eliminate, too.) I'll NEVER understand why
> >landlords install pale solid-color carpet in rental units! (Even a
> >light color with a "tweed" effect wouldn't show dirt QUITE so badly!)
>
> I've always found that aggravating too. What *moron* thought solid
> light oatmeal-beige was a good carpet color in the first place, let
> alone thought it a good choice for rentals?

Hey, I like Taupe.

> --
> "The universe is quite robust in design and appears to be
> doing just fine on its own, incompetent support staff notwithstanding.
> :-)" - the Dennis formerly known as (evil), MCFL

Bill Stock
August 8th 04, 03:21 PM
"Seanette Blaylock" > wrote in
message ...
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > had some very
> interesting things to say about Re: Cats and pork:
>
> >Actually, it was I, not Sherry, who posted the bit about the "Pounce"
> >stain, but thanks for the advice - I'll try it. (I have a couple other
> >stubborn stains I'd like to eliminate, too.) I'll NEVER understand why
> >landlords install pale solid-color carpet in rental units! (Even a
> >light color with a "tweed" effect wouldn't show dirt QUITE so badly!)
>
> I've always found that aggravating too. What *moron* thought solid
> light oatmeal-beige was a good carpet color in the first place, let
> alone thought it a good choice for rentals?

Hey, I like Taupe.

> --
> "The universe is quite robust in design and appears to be
> doing just fine on its own, incompetent support staff notwithstanding.
> :-)" - the Dennis formerly known as (evil), MCFL

Bill Stock
August 8th 04, 03:21 PM
"Seanette Blaylock" > wrote in
message ...
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > had some very
> interesting things to say about Re: Cats and pork:
>
> >Actually, it was I, not Sherry, who posted the bit about the "Pounce"
> >stain, but thanks for the advice - I'll try it. (I have a couple other
> >stubborn stains I'd like to eliminate, too.) I'll NEVER understand why
> >landlords install pale solid-color carpet in rental units! (Even a
> >light color with a "tweed" effect wouldn't show dirt QUITE so badly!)
>
> I've always found that aggravating too. What *moron* thought solid
> light oatmeal-beige was a good carpet color in the first place, let
> alone thought it a good choice for rentals?

Hey, I like Taupe.

> --
> "The universe is quite robust in design and appears to be
> doing just fine on its own, incompetent support staff notwithstanding.
> :-)" - the Dennis formerly known as (evil), MCFL

Yowie
August 9th 04, 10:08 AM
"Tanada" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> Yowie wrote:
>

> > As soon as we get the money together, we are ripping the carpets up and
> > laying down something moppable :-)
> >

> So are we. We've even found what we want, a bamboo laminate. It's made
> out of compressed bamboo, a wood product that regenerates itself in
> about six years, and one that colors easily (lots of color selection).
> It's not cheap, but is worth the cost. I'm just so tired of our carpet
> being there. It's covered with kid, Pam, and cat stains, and smells
> like an old goat partied on it, no matter what we do to remove the odor.
> We're planning take care of it this fall/winter. The living room
> walls are being turned a pale blue on Labor day.

And I *specifically* said to that old goat "no parties". He sure does get
around!

Yowie :-)

Yowie
August 9th 04, 10:08 AM
"Tanada" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> Yowie wrote:
>

> > As soon as we get the money together, we are ripping the carpets up and
> > laying down something moppable :-)
> >

> So are we. We've even found what we want, a bamboo laminate. It's made
> out of compressed bamboo, a wood product that regenerates itself in
> about six years, and one that colors easily (lots of color selection).
> It's not cheap, but is worth the cost. I'm just so tired of our carpet
> being there. It's covered with kid, Pam, and cat stains, and smells
> like an old goat partied on it, no matter what we do to remove the odor.
> We're planning take care of it this fall/winter. The living room
> walls are being turned a pale blue on Labor day.

And I *specifically* said to that old goat "no parties". He sure does get
around!

Yowie :-)

Yowie
August 9th 04, 10:08 AM
"Tanada" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> Yowie wrote:
>

> > As soon as we get the money together, we are ripping the carpets up and
> > laying down something moppable :-)
> >

> So are we. We've even found what we want, a bamboo laminate. It's made
> out of compressed bamboo, a wood product that regenerates itself in
> about six years, and one that colors easily (lots of color selection).
> It's not cheap, but is worth the cost. I'm just so tired of our carpet
> being there. It's covered with kid, Pam, and cat stains, and smells
> like an old goat partied on it, no matter what we do to remove the odor.
> We're planning take care of it this fall/winter. The living room
> walls are being turned a pale blue on Labor day.

And I *specifically* said to that old goat "no parties". He sure does get
around!

Yowie :-)

Dee
August 9th 04, 02:41 PM
(Tree Line) wrote in
om:

> Dee > wrote in message
>
>> I do not know how true or untrue this may be, but when I look at
>> commercial pet foods there are zero brands that state they use pork
>> (of course maybe it's in the all-encompassing "meat by-products").
>> But even high-end cat foods do not use pork.
>
> Although they don't state it, some products which specify "liver"
> are using pork livers.
>
> For example, Science Diet Hairball formula has pork. That's what they
> told me.
>
> I asked because I wondered what was the source of "liver."
> I was more concerned about beef than pork.
> So I was relieved that they used pork livers.
>
> In other cases, the liver flavor came from chicken livers.
>
> One thing nice about Science Diet, of all the companies I contact,
> only Science Diet, so far, runs down everything, and even exact
> quantites, on everything they put.
>
> I have not had much luck with Newman's, Pet Guard, and some other
> boutique cat foods for exact quantities and even accuracies. Sometimes
> their numbers do not add up, just from simple extrapolations, like as
> fed wet basis using their dry basis.
>
> I point out their mistakes. But they are not happy and say they will
> talk to their labs, but so far no replies.
>
> Science Diet even works out dietary calcualations based on rough
> metabolic energy requirements. Extremely helpful in computing grams
> and kcals or calories and weight reductions. You have to ask for the
> data, but they will fax it to you, complete with formulae!

This is very interesting! So perhaps pork IS being used, but it's just not
being labeled as such.

To be honest, I can't imagine pet food companies not using such an abundant
source of meat unless there is some really good economic or health-related
reason.

Dee

Dee
August 9th 04, 02:41 PM
(Tree Line) wrote in
om:

> [...]

> boutique cat foods for exact quantities and even accuracies. Sometimes
> their numbers do not add up, just from simple extrapolations, like as
> fed wet basis using their dry basis.
>
> I point out their mistakes. But they are not happy and say they will
> talk to their labs, but so far no replies.
>
> Science Diet even works out dietary calcualations based on rough
> metabolic energy requirements. Extremely helpful in computing grams
> and kcals or calories and weight reductions. You have to ask for the
> data, but they will fax it to you, complete with formulae!

This is very interesting! So perhaps pork IS being used, but it's just not
being labeled as such.

To be honest, I can't imagine pet food companies not using such an abundant
source of meat unless there is some really good economic or health-related

Ginger-lyn Summer
August 9th 04, 06:40 PM
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:50:19 -0500, Nan
> wrote:

>I finally had all of my downstairs carpet ripped out and had a
>laminate that looks like hardwood put down. The only problem I've
>found with it is I have to either vacuum or dust mop it every day due
>to all of the critter fur that's on it. If you can possibly afford it
>that's the way to go (providing of course that's available in
>Australia).
>--
>
>Nan
>
>A wise man talks because he has something to say;
>a fool talks because he has to say something.

I managed to talk my landlord into putting down something like this --
not laminate, but the softer stuff that comes in squares, with a
hardword sort of pattern. Had a lot of fun ripping up the god-awful
dark green carpet that had been there since long before I moved in
here (18 years ago!). Of course, when I moved in, he mentioned the
carpet should be replaced, and I said "Uh, I have four cats. Go ahead
and leave it." The downstairs looks great, is easy to clean, although
like you said, it *does* attract a lot of dust and cat hair. Still
have the awful green upstairs. One of these days . . . .

Ginger-lyn

Ginger-lyn Summer
August 9th 04, 06:40 PM
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:50:19 -0500, Nan
> wrote:

>I finally had all of my downstairs carpet ripped out and had a
>laminate that looks like hardwood put down. The only problem I've
>found with it is I have to either vacuum or dust mop it every day due
>to all of the critter fur that's on it. If you can possibly afford it
>that's the way to go (providing of course that's available in
>Australia).
>--
>
>Nan
>
>A wise man talks because he has something to say;
>a fool talks because he has to say something.

I managed to talk my landlord into putting down something like this --
not laminate, but the softer stuff that comes in squares, with a
hardword sort of pattern. Had a lot of fun ripping up the god-awful
dark green carpet that had been there since long before I moved in
here (18 years ago!). Of course, when I moved in, he mentioned the
carpet should be replaced, and I said "Uh, I have four cats. Go ahead
and leave it." The downstairs looks great, is easy to clean, although
like you said, it *does* attract a lot of dust and cat hair. Still
have the awful green upstairs. One of these days . . . .

Ginger-lyn

Ginger-lyn Summer
August 9th 04, 06:40 PM
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:50:19 -0500, Nan
> wrote:

>I finally had all of my downstairs carpet ripped out and had a
>laminate that looks like hardwood put down. The only problem I've
>found with it is I have to either vacuum or dust mop it every day due
>to all of the critter fur that's on it. If you can possibly afford it
>that's the way to go (providing of course that's available in
>Australia).
>--
>
>Nan
>
>A wise man talks because he has something to say;
>a fool talks because he has to say something.

I managed to talk my landlord into putting down something like this --
not laminate, but the softer stuff that comes in squares, with a
hardword sort of pattern. Had a lot of fun ripping up the god-awful
dark green carpet that had been there since long before I moved in
here (18 years ago!). Of course, when I moved in, he mentioned the
carpet should be replaced, and I said "Uh, I have four cats. Go ahead
and leave it." The downstairs looks great, is easy to clean, although
like you said, it *does* attract a lot of dust and cat hair. Still
have the awful green upstairs. One of these days . . . .

Ginger-lyn

Nan
August 9th 04, 08:02 PM
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:40:41 GMT, (Ginger-lyn
Summer) wrote:

>I managed to talk my landlord into putting down something like this --
>not laminate, but the softer stuff that comes in squares, with a
>hardword sort of pattern. Had a lot of fun ripping up the god-awful
>dark green carpet that had been there since long before I moved in
>here (18 years ago!). Of course, when I moved in, he mentioned the
>carpet should be replaced, and I said "Uh, I have four cats. Go ahead
>and leave it." The downstairs looks great, is easy to clean, although
>like you said, it *does* attract a lot of dust and cat hair. Still
>have the awful green upstairs. One of these days . . . .
>
>Ginger-lyn

I considered hardwood, but decided with a dog and 2 cats inside that
the laminate would be easier to take care of. Not to mention the fact
that it was guaranteed for 25 years. Don't think that guarantee will
run out in my lifetime. I figure in 25 years I'll either have gone to
my maker or I'll be a blithering idiot in a nursing home someplace.
--

Summer) wrote:

>I managed to talk my landlord into putting down something like this --
>not laminate, but the softer stuff that comes in squares, with a
>hardword sort of pattern. Had a lot of fun ripping up the god-awful
>dark green carpet that had been there since long before I moved in
>here (18 years ago!). Of course, when I moved in, he mentioned the
>carpet should be replaced, and I said "Uh, I have four cats. Go ahead
>and leave it." The downstairs looks great, is easy to clean, although
>like you said, it *does* attract a lot of dust and cat hair. Still
>have the awful green upstairs. One of these days . . . .
>
>Ginger-lyn

I considered hardwood, but decided with a dog and 2 cats inside that
the laminate would be easier to take care of. Not to mention the fact
that it was guaranteed for 25 years. Don't think that guarantee will
run out in my lifetime. I figure in 25 years I'll either have gone to
my maker or I'll be a blithering idiot in a nursing home someplace.
--

Nan

A wise man talks because he has something to say;
a fool talks because he has to say something.

Tanada
August 9th 04, 08:20 PM
Yowie wrote:
> "Tanada" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>

>>Yowie wrote:
>>

>>>As soon as we get the money together, we are ripping the carpets up and
>>>laying down something moppable :-)
>>>

>>So are we. We've even found what we want, a bamboo laminate. It's made
>>out of compressed bamboo, a wood product that regenerates itself in
>>about six years, and one that colors easily (lots of color selection).
>>It's not cheap, but is worth the cost. I'm just so tired of our carpet
>>being there. It's covered with kid, Pam, and cat stains, and smells
>>like an old goat partied on it, no matter what we do to remove the odor.
>> We're planning take care of it this fall/winter. The living room
>>walls are being turned a pale blue on Labor day.
>

> And I *specifically* said to that old goat "no parties". He sure does get
> around!

He didn't listen to me either.

Pam S. ;-)

Tanada
August 9th 04, 08:20 PM
Yowie wrote:
> "Tanada" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>

>>Yowie wrote:
>>

>>>As soon as we get the money together, we are ripping the carpets up and
>>>laying down something moppable :-)
>>>

>>So are we. We've even found what we want, a bamboo laminate. It's made
>>out of compressed bamboo, a wood product that regenerates itself in
>>about six years, and one that colors easily (lots of color selection).
>>It's not cheap, but is worth the cost. I'm just so tired of our carpet
>>being there. It's covered with kid, Pam, and cat stains, and smells
>>like an old goat partied on it, no matter what we do to remove the odor.
>> We're planning take care of it this fall/winter. The living room
>>walls are being turned a pale blue on Labor day.
>

> And I *specifically* said to that old goat "no parties". He sure does get
> around!

He didn't listen to me either.

Pam S. ;-)

Tanada
August 9th 04, 08:20 PM
Yowie wrote:
> "Tanada" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>

>>Yowie wrote:
>>

>>>As soon as we get the money together, we are ripping the carpets up and
>>>laying down something moppable :-)
>>>

>>So are we. We've even found what we want, a bamboo laminate. It's made
>>out of compressed bamboo, a wood product that regenerates itself in
>>about six years, and one that colors easily (lots of color selection).
>>It's not cheap, but is worth the cost. I'm just so tired of our carpet
>>being there. It's covered with kid, Pam, and cat stains, and smells
>>like an old goat partied on it, no matter what we do to remove the odor.
>> We're planning take care of it this fall/winter. The living room
>>walls are being turned a pale blue on Labor day.
>

> And I *specifically* said to that old goat "no parties". He sure does get
> around!

He didn't listen to me either.

Pam S. ;-)