PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's the day...

Marina
September 14th 05, 09:10 AM
.... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
come and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in Southern
Finland at the moment, and we just agreed that it might be a bit
difficult to build the enclosure in 22 m/s (49.2 mph) winds and rain.

My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Helen Wheels
September 14th 05, 09:31 AM
Marina wrote:
> ... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
> come and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in Southern
> Finland at the moment, and we just agreed that it might be a bit
> difficult to build the enclosure in 22 m/s (49.2 mph) winds and rain.
>
> My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
> worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
> storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.

Looking forward to pics of kitties in the new playhouse! Maybe your Mum
and Sis ought to stay put a bit longer if the weather's too rough though.

Adrian
September 14th 05, 10:35 AM
Marina wrote:
> ... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
> come and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in
> Southern Finland at the moment, and we just agreed that it might be a
> bit difficult to build the enclosure in 22 m/s (49.2 mph) winds and
> rain.
>
> My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
> worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
> storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.

We're having some lovely weather at the moment. I hope it moves east so
you can enjoy it and your clowder can enjoy their new enclosure.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Victor Martinez
September 14th 05, 12:01 PM
Marina wrote:
> .... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to

Make sure the camera has batteries and all, we'll be expecting lots of
pictures!

> My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
> worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
> storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.

Let us know how that goes. There's no telephones or anything on the
island, right?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

SuzQ
September 14th 05, 12:24 PM
Purrs that your Mom & Sister can safely leave the island.
Suz&Spicey
PS don't forget to post pics of the new enclosure.

Karen
September 14th 05, 01:00 PM
On 2005-09-14 03:10:37 -0500, Marina > said:

> ... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
> come and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in
> Southern Finland at the moment, and we just agreed that it might be a
> bit difficult to build the enclosure in 22 m/s (49.2 mph) winds and
> rain.
>
> My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
> worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
> storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.

Oh wow. rotten luck! You must be very excited. I know I would be. Can't
wait to see piccies! hope your mom and sister are OK. Sounds like a
real book day to me! I love staying home during storms. Not that we
ever get any anymore, but when we get them I love it.

Irulan
September 14th 05, 02:08 PM
Purrs and prayers your Mom & sis get back off the island ok. Cgts on the new
cat enclosure, hope the installation goes well!
Lily & her mama
Jazz, RB

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
"Marina" > wrote in message
> ... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to come
> and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in Southern
> Finland at the moment, and we just agreed that it might be a bit difficult
> to build the enclosure in 22 m/s (49.2 mph) winds and rain.
>
> My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit worried
> about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the storm will
> abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.
>
> --
> Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
> marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
> Pics at http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
> and http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki

Marina
September 14th 05, 02:24 PM
Victor Martinez wrote:
> Marina wrote:
>
>> .... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
>

> Make sure the camera has batteries and all, we'll be expecting lots of
> pictures!

Will do!

>> My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
>> worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
>> storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.
>

> Let us know how that goes. There's no telephones or anything on the
> island, right?

There's a telephone line, and mum has a mobile, too, so I can talk to
them. But the sea is very rocky around there, and you can't reach the
island with very large boats, and riding in a small boat in a storm is
not ideal. Especially as my sis has her two cats with her. They might be
in for a rocky ride.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Marina
September 14th 05, 02:25 PM
Karen wrote:

> Oh wow. rotten luck! You must be very excited. I know I would be. Can't
> wait to see piccies! hope your mom and sister are OK. Sounds like a real
> book day to me! I love staying home during storms. Not that we ever get
> any anymore, but when we get them I love it.

I like autumn storms, I even like being outside in a storm (except in a
small boat in the middle of the sea!). But autumn is also a good time to
curl up at home with a good book.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Marina
September 14th 05, 02:26 PM
Helen Wheels wrote:

> Looking forward to pics of kitties in the new playhouse! Maybe your Mum
> and Sis ought to stay put a bit longer if the weather's too rough though.

Sis has to go back to work on Saturday, so I'm afraid they'll have to
weather the storm, unless it stops by then.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Nan
September 14th 05, 02:40 PM
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:24:23 +0300, Marina >
wrote:

>There's a telephone line, and mum has a mobile, too, so I can talk to
>them. But the sea is very rocky around there, and you can't reach the
>island with very large boats, and riding in a small boat in a storm is
>not ideal. Especially as my sis has her two cats with her. They might be
>in for a rocky ride.

The furkids are sending felinity purrs that the storm will head off
wherever storms go and the seas will calm.

Purrs and Hugs,

Nan and the felinity felines

A wise man talks because he has something to say;
a fool talks because he has to say something.

Kreisleriana
September 14th 05, 03:24 PM
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:10:37 +0300, Marina >
yodeled:

>... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
>come and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in Southern
>Finland at the moment, and we just agreed that it might be a bit
>difficult to build the enclosure in 22 m/s (49.2 mph) winds and rain.
>
>My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
>worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
>storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.

Wheeeeeee! I mean, after the storm. ;) Can't wait to see the
piccies.

Theresa

Exocat
September 14th 05, 03:47 PM
"Marina" > wrote
> ... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
> come and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in
> Southern Finland at the moment

Better Weather purrs for the build & your family's boating.

Looking forward already to the piccies.

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

September 14th 05, 08:54 PM
wrote:

>... we get our outside enclosure for the cats. They were supposed to
>come and install it today, but we're having a terrible storm in Southern
>Finland at the moment, and we just agreed that it might be a bit
>difficult to build the enclosure in 22 m/s (49.2 mph) winds and rain.
>
>My mother and sister are out on the island this week, so I'm a bit
>worried about them and how they'll get to the mainland, but maybe the
>storm will abate before Friday, when they're scheduled to return.

Stay safe, Marina. I'm sure the kitties can wait another day or two
for their fun new enclosure :-)

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Marina
September 15th 05, 11:41 AM
The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once
the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining when the
enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course). Photos at

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos

or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp

Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out
on the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside
again, she's also a shy girl).

Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside.
He's never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.

There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on me),
two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that goes
up to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the planks.
There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of
it in one of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a cubicle at
the bottom that I thought could serve as shelter on windy days (Miranda
sits on top of it in one of the pics). I can even have my folding chair
inside the enclosure and sit out there with the cats. There's a balcony
above us that acts as a roof for part of the enclosure.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Exocat
September 15th 05, 12:07 PM
"Marina" > wrote
> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate
> once the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining
> when the enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course).
> Photos at
> http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp

That's lovely. I'm sure they'll adore it. Concatulations.

Gordon & the FF

Karen
September 15th 05, 12:42 PM
On 2005-09-15 05:41:11 -0500, Marina > said:

> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate
> once the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining
> when the enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course).
> Photos at
>
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
> =&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>
> Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out
> on the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside
> again, she's also a shy girl).
>
> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
> Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside.
> He's never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.
>
> There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on
> me), two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that
> goes up to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the
> planks. There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank
> looks out of it in one of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a
> cubicle at the bottom that I thought could serve as shelter on windy
> days (Miranda sits on top of it in one of the pics). I can even have my
> folding chair inside the enclosure and sit out there with the cats.
> There's a balcony above us that acts as a roof for part of the
> enclosure.

Really cool. You are so lucky!!!!! It's pretty neat! Or I guess I
should say the cats are so lucky!

Adrian
September 15th 05, 12:50 PM
Marina wrote:
> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate
> once the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining
> when the enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course).
> Photos at

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store

=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_phot
os

> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp

You're such a good slave. I love the pictures, the cats are going to be
so happy.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Victor Martinez
September 15th 05, 01:37 PM
Marina wrote:
> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once

YAY!!!

> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp

That's awesome!

> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.

Good boy!

> There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of

Unless the cats will only be in the enclosure supervised, I would
suggest getting a more secure lock in the door. You can't be too
careful! We lock our enclosure with a bike lock, even though our garden
is completely enclosed by a tall fence.

> it in one of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a cubicle at
> the bottom that I thought could serve as shelter on windy days (Miranda

Our cats love to snooze on the two enclosed furniture pieces they have
outside.

> sits on top of it in one of the pics). I can even have my folding chair
> inside the enclosure and sit out there with the cats. There's a balcony
> above us that acts as a roof for part of the enclosure.

Excellent! Sounds like a great addition to Chez Kurten!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

Helen Wheels
September 15th 05, 02:25 PM
Victor Martinez wrote:

> Marina wrote:
>
>> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once
>

> YAY!!!
>
>> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>

> That's awesome!
>
>> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
>

> Good boy!
>
>> There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of
>

> Unless the cats will only be in the enclosure supervised, I would
> suggest getting a more secure lock in the door. You can't be too
> careful! We lock our enclosure with a bike lock, even though our garden
> is completely enclosed by a tall fence.

I was going to ask Marina how securely the door locks, and beg a close
up shot of it. I'm planning to enclose my back verandah for the kittys
to play in, but haven't figured out quite how to do the door so that the
kittys can't get a paw under the bottom corner and squeeze out,
especially given that my carpentry skills aren't that great. Victor,
would you by any chance have a detailed photo of how your enclosure closes?

Marina, it's a great enclosure, and I especially liked the ramps with
treads on. I'd have great fun on those if I were a kitty. Your little
family look over the moon at the whole thing.

Marina
September 15th 05, 04:05 PM
Helen Wheels wrote:
> Victor Martinez wrote:

<snippage>
>> Unless the cats will only be in the enclosure supervised, I would
>> suggest getting a more secure lock in the door. You can't be too
>> careful! We lock our enclosure with a bike lock, even though our
>> garden is completely enclosed by a tall fence.
>

> I was going to ask Marina how securely the door locks, and beg a close
> up shot of it. I'm planning to enclose my back verandah for the kittys
> to play in, but haven't figured out quite how to do the door so that the
> kittys can't get a paw under the bottom corner and squeeze out,
> especially given that my carpentry skills aren't that great. Victor,
> would you by any chance have a detailed photo of how your enclosure closes?
>
> Marina, it's a great enclosure, and I especially liked the ramps with
> treads on. I'd have great fun on those if I were a kitty. Your little
> family look over the moon at the whole thing.

The door is only fastened with a hook, but it's high up and I don't
think the cats can reach it. The door iutself is pretty sturdy, and fits
snugly into the frame. But maybe I should look into securing it better,
just in case.

So far, Miranda is the only one who has ventured up on the ramps. But
then she skimmed up the pole like the little monkey-cat that she is.
Then someone walked by and said something to her (something quite nice,
he started grinning happily when he saw her there), and she was spooked
and came raciong inside. I hope she'll get used to people eventually.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Karen
September 15th 05, 04:19 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message
> Helen Wheels wrote:
> > Victor Martinez wrote:
> >
> <snippage>
> >> Unless the cats will only be in the enclosure supervised, I would
> >> suggest getting a more secure lock in the door. You can't be too
> >> careful! We lock our enclosure with a bike lock, even though our
> >> garden is completely enclosed by a tall fence.
> >

> > I was going to ask Marina how securely the door locks, and beg a close
> > up shot of it. I'm planning to enclose my back verandah for the kittys
> > to play in, but haven't figured out quite how to do the door so that the
> > kittys can't get a paw under the bottom corner and squeeze out,
> > especially given that my carpentry skills aren't that great. Victor,
> > would you by any chance have a detailed photo of how your enclosure
closes?

> > Marina, it's a great enclosure, and I especially liked the ramps with
> > treads on. I'd have great fun on those if I were a kitty. Your little
> > family look over the moon at the whole thing.
>
> The door is only fastened with a hook, but it's high up and I don't
> think the cats can reach it. The door iutself is pretty sturdy, and fits
> snugly into the frame. But maybe I should look into securing it better,
> just in case.
>
> So far, Miranda is the only one who has ventured up on the ramps. But
> then she skimmed up the pole like the little monkey-cat that she is.
> Then someone walked by and said something to her (something quite nice,
> he started grinning happily when he saw her there), and she was spooked
> and came raciong inside. I hope she'll get used to people eventually.

I'm sure she will. She'll become a little show off!

Ann
September 15th 05, 04:31 PM
It looks like your cats are enjoying the enclosure.

Ann

see pictures of Sam at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos

"Marina" > wrote in message
> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once
> the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining when the
> enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course). Photos at
>
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
> =&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>
> Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out on
> the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside again,
> she's also a shy girl).
>
> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
> Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside. He's
> never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.
>
> There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on me),
> two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that goes up
> to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the planks. There's
> a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of it in one
> of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a cubicle at the bottom
> that I thought could serve as shelter on windy days (Miranda sits on top
> of it in one of the pics). I can even have my folding chair inside the
> enclosure and sit out there with the cats. There's a balcony above us that
> acts as a roof for part of the enclosure.
>
> --
> Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
> marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
> Pics at http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
> and http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki

Takayuki
September 15th 05, 06:38 PM
That's really wonderful! What a project. Your getting two kittens to
keep each other busy, sending everyone to island getaways, and giving
them an outdoor enclosure is ingenious. They should put you in charge
of corporate restructurings or something.

I also liked your other pictures with Miranda booping Caliban with a
long paw. :)

Takayuki
September 15th 05, 06:41 PM
Karen wrote:
> "Marina" > wrote in message
> > So far, Miranda is the only one who has ventured up on the ramps. But
> > then she skimmed up the pole like the little monkey-cat that she is.
> > Then someone walked by and said something to her (something quite nice,
> > he started grinning happily when he saw her there), and she was spooked
> > and came raciong inside. I hope she'll get used to people eventually.
> >

> I'm sure she will. She'll become a little show off!

So it's a socialization strategy too? :) It would be so funny if she
did become a little hussykitty.

Christina Websell
September 15th 05, 09:25 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message
> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once
> the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining when the
> enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course). Photos at
>
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
> =&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>
> Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out on
> the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside again,
> she's also a shy girl).
>
> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
> Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside. He's
> never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.
>
> There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on me),
> two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that goes up
> to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the planks. There's
> a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of it in one
> of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a cubicle at the bottom
> that I thought could serve as shelter on windy days (Miranda sits on top
> of it in one of the pics). I can even have my folding chair inside the
> enclosure and sit out there with the cats. There's a balcony above us that
> acts as a roof for part of the enclosure.

Wow! The enclosure is great. What a good meowmie you are, Marina. I can
tell already that they're going to love it.

Tweed

Irulan
September 15th 05, 10:42 PM
Looks wonderful, Marina. I wish I could put something like up in my yard.
Lily & her mama
Jazz, RB

--

"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Marina" > wrote in message
>> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once
>> the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining when the
>> enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course). Photos at
>>
>> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
>> =&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos
>>
>> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>>
>> Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out
>> on the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside
>> again, she's also a shy girl).
>>
>> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
>> Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside.
>> He's never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.
>>
>> There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on me),
>> two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that goes
>> up to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the planks.
>> There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of
>> it in one of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a cubicle at the
>> bottom that I thought could serve as shelter on windy days (Miranda sits
>> on top of it in one of the pics). I can even have my folding chair inside
>> the enclosure and sit out there with the cats. There's a balcony above us
>> that acts as a roof for part of the enclosure.
>>

> Wow! The enclosure is great. What a good meowmie you are, Marina. I can
> tell already that they're going to love it.
>
> Tweed

Victor Martinez
September 16th 05, 12:04 AM
Marina wrote:
> The door is only fastened with a hook, but it's high up and I don't
> think the cats can reach it. The door iutself is pretty sturdy, and fits

I'm not concerned about the cats opening it, but a passer-by or a child
wanting to pet the kitties. We have a keyed lock (to keep hoomins out):
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0001.jpg
and in the bottom a rock and a cheesy wire (to keep kitties in):
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0003.jpg

We used to have a coated steel wire-thing with a lock (used around here
to lock bicicles), but it was a hassle to open and it could be deadly
during an emergency.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

Marina
September 16th 05, 10:34 AM
Victor Martinez wrote:
> Marina wrote:
>
>> The door is only fastened with a hook, but it's high up and I don't
>> think the cats can reach it. The door iutself is pretty sturdy, and fits
>

> I'm not concerned about the cats opening it, but a passer-by or a child
> wanting to pet the kitties. We have a keyed lock (to keep hoomins out):
> http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0001.jpg
> and in the bottom a rock and a cheesy wire (to keep kitties in):
> http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0003.jpg
>
> We used to have a coated steel wire-thing with a lock (used around here
> to lock bicicles), but it was a hassle to open and it could be deadly
> during an emergency.

The hook's on the inside, and the mesh I think is so fine it would be
really difficult to open it from the outside. Chldren's fingers might be
thin enough, but not long enough, and adults' fingers might be long
enough, but not thin enough. Here's a close-up.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph

So far, I've only let the cats out when I'm there to supervise. It's
getting cold here (10 C today!), so i won't be leaving the door open for
long at a time now. Though Mranda would lke to be out there *always*.
Last night it went down in the single digits, and still she wanted me to
leave the door open for her. Brrr!

Oh, yes, there are a few new pictures after the hook one.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Adrian
September 16th 05, 11:44 AM
Marina wrote:
> Victor Martinez wrote:
>> Marina wrote:
>>
>>> The door is only fastened with a hook, but it's high up and I don't
>>> think the cats can reach it. The door iutself is pretty sturdy, and
>>> fits
>>

>> I'm not concerned about the cats opening it, but a passer-by or a
>> child wanting to pet the kitties. We have a keyed lock (to keep
>> hoomins out):
>> http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0001.jpg and in
>> the bottom a rock and a cheesy wire (to keep kitties in):
>> http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0003.jpg
>>
>> We used to have a coated steel wire-thing with a lock (used around
>> here to lock bicicles), but it was a hassle to open and it could be
>> deadly during an emergency.
>
> The hook's on the inside, and the mesh I think is so fine it would be
> really difficult to open it from the outside. Chldren's fingers might
> be thin enough, but not long enough, and adults' fingers might be long
> enough, but not thin enough. Here's a close-up.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph

> So far, I've only let the cats out when I'm there to supervise. It's
> getting cold here (10 C today!), so i won't be leaving the door open
> for long at a time now. Though Mranda would lke to be out there
> *always*. Last night it went down in the single digits, and still she
> wanted me to leave the door open for her. Brrr!
>
> Oh, yes, there are a few new pictures after the hook one.

I think someone could easily open that by poking a stick through the
gap, maybe a bolt would be better. I assume it's not possible for you to
have a cat flap, so you don't have to leave the door open.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Victor Martinez
September 16th 05, 01:33 PM
Marina wrote:
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph

Try this, stand outside the enclosure and use a pen or a branch, stick
it below the hook and move it up. I think it will open right up! I hope
I'm not being pushy, I'm just a concerned uncle! :)

> So far, I've only let the cats out when I'm there to supervise. It's
> getting cold here (10 C today!), so i won't be leaving the door open for

That's nice, I wish we had those temperatures around, I'm sick of the heat.

> Oh, yes, there are a few new pictures after the hook one.

Great shots, that's a really nice light. Miranda is certainly athletic,
not an ounce of fat in her body!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

Marina
September 16th 05, 01:37 PM
Adrian wrote:
> I think someone could easily open that by poking a stick through the
> gap, maybe a bolt would be better. I assume it's not possible for you to
> have a cat flap, so you don't have to leave the door open.

LOL! I realised that when I looked at the picture. The gap looks bigger
in the oicture than it is in RL, but a small stick would fit in it.
anyhoo, there's no direct access to my garden from the walkway outside
to my garden. There's a low wall, then a bit of greenery, then another
low wall. It's not imossible to get in that way, but you'd have to be
quite determined and up to no good.

And sadly, no I can't have a cat flap. It's a double glass door, the
inner one opens inwards and the outer one opens outwards, and I'm pretty
sure my landlord wouldn't want any holes in them.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Marina
September 16th 05, 02:04 PM
Victor Martinez wrote:
> Marina wrote:
>
>> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph
>

> Try this, stand outside the enclosure and use a pen or a branch, stick
> it below the hook and move it up. I think it will open right up! I hope
> I'm not being pushy, I'm just a concerned uncle! :)

I'ts OK, Victor, you're not too pushy. :o) I'd like to try that, but
it's a bit difficult to get out there with the door closed. As I said in
my reply to Adrian, I would have to climb over a low wall, then wade
through some greenery, then climb over another low wall. I'm afraid my
joints are too stiff to do this. :oP I did realise when I looked at the
picture that it could be opened that way, though the gap between the
door and the frame looks much wider in the picture than it is in RL.

> Great shots, that's a really nice light. Miranda is certainly athletic,
> not an ounce of fat in her body!

Thanks. She has grown into a real beauty. In spite of her finicky eating
habits, she weighs a healthy 3 kilograms (6.6 lbs). She feels very solid
when you pick her up, pure muscle.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Exocat
September 16th 05, 02:18 PM
"Marina" > wrote
> The hook's on the inside
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph
> Oh, yes, there are a few new pictures after the hook one.

LO Marina

Thanks for the new pics. Miranda is lovely indeed, a perfect svelte
huntress.

Can I just add my bit of concern over the security: I know you aren't
exactly
in a high-crime area but low walls and a bit of greenery are no
deterrent to
an opportunist thief who can "fence" a valuable pedigree cat (or make
mittens of them, as a German gang once came to S-E England to do).

For a few Euros a padbolt to replace that desperately insecure hook
would
be a _wonderful_ investment, given the precious nature of the run's
occupants.

Concerned purrs

Gordon & the FF

Nan
September 16th 05, 02:31 PM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:33:52 GMT, Victor Martinez >
wrote:

>Marina wrote:
>> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph
>
>Try this, stand outside the enclosure and use a pen or a branch, stick
>it below the hook and move it up. I think it will open right up! I hope
>I'm not being pushy, I'm just a concerned uncle! :)
>
>> So far, I've only let the cats out when I'm there to supervise. It's
>> getting cold here (10 C today!), so i won't be leaving the door open for
>
>That's nice, I wish we had those temperatures around, I'm sick of the heat.
>
>> Oh, yes, there are a few new pictures after the hook one.
>
>Great shots, that's a really nice light. Miranda is certainly athletic,
>not an ounce of fat in her body!

I don't know if they are available in Finland or not, but there is a
safety hook that has a spring loaded piece that locks the hook to the
eyelet. That might be worth trying to find. Using one of these you
could be assured that kitties couldn't open the gate.

Purrs and Hugs,

Nan and the felinity felines

A wise man talks because he has something to say;
a fool talks because he has to say something.

'Arlett
September 17th 05, 01:02 AM
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:41:11 +0300, Marina wrote:

> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once
> the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining when the
> enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course). Photos at
>
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
> =&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>
> Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out
> on the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside
> again, she's also a shy girl).
>
> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
> Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside.
> He's never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.
>
> There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on me),
> two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that goes
> up to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the planks.
> There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of
> it in one of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a cubicle at
> the bottom that I thought could serve as shelter on windy days (Miranda
> sits on top of it in one of the pics). I can even have my folding chair
> inside the enclosure and sit out there with the cats. There's a balcony
> above us that acts as a roof for part of the enclosure.

This is one of the neatest ones I've seen yet! What lucky lucky kitties! I
loved the pic of Cali with his neck stretched out sniffing the air. :-)
Frank looks hansome in the sun!

Kreisleriana
September 17th 05, 01:21 AM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:02:49 -0400, 'Arlett >
yodeled:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:41:11 +0300, Marina wrote:
>
>> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate once
>> the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining when the
>> enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course). Photos at
>>
>> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
>> =&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos
>>
>> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>>
>> Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out
>> on the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside
>> again, she's also a shy girl).
>>
>> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
>> Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside.
>> He's never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.
>>
>> There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on me),
>> two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that goes
>> up to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the planks.
>> There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank looks out of
>> it in one of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a cubicle at
>> the bottom that I thought could serve as shelter on windy days (Miranda
>> sits on top of it in one of the pics). I can even have my folding chair
>> inside the enclosure and sit out there with the cats. There's a balcony
>> above us that acts as a roof for part of the enclosure.

It looks just fantastic. What lucky kitties! The babies are so big.
Theresa

Helen Wheels
September 17th 05, 02:42 AM
Marina wrote:
> Victor Martinez wrote:
>
>> Marina wrote:
>>
>>> The door is only fastened with a hook, but it's high up and I don't
>>> think the cats can reach it. The door iutself is pretty sturdy, and fits
>>

>> I'm not concerned about the cats opening it, but a passer-by or a
>> child wanting to pet the kitties. We have a keyed lock (to keep
>> hoomins out):
>> http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0001.jpg
>> and in the bottom a rock and a cheesy wire (to keep kitties in):
>> http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/images/Dscf0003.jpg
>>
>> We used to have a coated steel wire-thing with a lock (used around
>> here to lock bicicles), but it was a hassle to open and it could be
>> deadly during an emergency.
>

> The hook's on the inside, and the mesh I think is so fine it would be
> really difficult to open it from the outside. Chldren's fingers might be
> thin enough, but not long enough, and adults' fingers might be long
> enough, but not thin enough. Here's a close-up.
>
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph
>

> So far, I've only let the cats out when I'm there to supervise. It's
> getting cold here (10 C today!), so i won't be leaving the door open for
> long at a time now. Though Mranda would lke to be out there *always*.
> Last night it went down in the single digits, and still she wanted me to
> leave the door open for her. Brrr!
>
> Oh, yes, there are a few new pictures after the hook one.

Thanks for the close-up shot. I don't think that sort of closer would
work for me as I'd need to get in from the outside pretty regularly. And
Miranda is such a little beauty.

My Stirling's watching the back verandah very carefully right now as
about half a dozen birds are fluttering around out there. Stirling's
pretending he's not interested, but his little toes keep curling up
around the edge of his shelf.

Cheryl
September 17th 05, 03:15 AM
On Fri 16 Sep 2005 09:42:42p, Helen Wheels wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

> Thanks for the close-up shot. I don't think that sort of closer
> would work for me as I'd need to get in from the outside pretty
> regularly. And Miranda is such a little beauty.

I've been looking at the products from that company and Marina's
pics, and the way they do the door, and I'm going to re-do mine. I
don't have a door from the enclosure to the backyard, and I really
could use that! These pictures give me tons of ideas. :) I'd also
like to do one of those tunnels from a window to the enclosure
instead of using the glass panel with the pet flap set in the
sliding glass door. I think my door isn't as wide as a standard
slider, so the panel takes up most of it. I can get through, but I
can't get furniture or anything else through it without taking out
the panel.

> My Stirling's watching the back verandah very carefully right
> now as about half a dozen birds are fluttering around out there.
> Stirling's pretending he's not interested, but his little toes
> keep curling up around the edge of his shelf.

LOL! What a visual! :)

--
Cheryl

Marina
September 17th 05, 05:14 AM
Exocat wrote:

> Can I just add my bit of concern over the security: I know you aren't
> exactly
> in a high-crime area but low walls and a bit of greenery are no
> deterrent to
> an opportunist thief who can "fence" a valuable pedigree cat (or make
> mittens of them, as a German gang once came to S-E England to do).

Oh, that's horrible! Were they caught?

> For a few Euros a padbolt to replace that desperately insecure hook
> would
> be a _wonderful_ investment, given the precious nature of the run's
> occupants.

I see what you mean, but if a criminal was determined to get the cats,
they could easily break through the mesh. As I said, I only let the cats
out when I'm home and can keep an eye on them. My flat consists of only
two rooms, and all the windows give on the garden. I will look at other
locks, though.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

Shiral
September 17th 05, 05:56 AM
What an excellent cat playground for Frank, Mir and Caliban! Nina
says to tell them they are VERY lucky kitties and that she is envious.
=o) I think Francesca is too, but she'll never admit such an
unbecoming emotion.

I would second the security concerns exocat expressed. Much better to
be safe than sorry with three such beloved animals.

Melissa

Jo Firey
September 17th 05, 06:46 AM
"Helen Wheels" > wrote in message >
> My Stirling's watching the back verandah very carefully right now as about
> half a dozen birds are fluttering around out there. Stirling's pretending
> he's not interested, but his little toes keep curling up around the edge
> of his shelf.

If the ears don't give them away, the toes will do it every time!

Jo

Kerry
September 17th 05, 09:02 AM
Helen Wheels wrote:
> Marina wrote:

> Thanks for the close-up shot. I don't think that sort of closer would
> work for me as I'd need to get in from the outside pretty regularly. And
> Miranda is such a little beauty.
>
> My Stirling's watching the back verandah very carefully right now as
> about half a dozen birds are fluttering around out there. Stirling's
> pretending he's not interested, but his little toes keep curling up
> around the edge of his shelf.

LOL! That's just what my Bootleg does, he tries to contain himself when
watching birdies so that Amy Sue and I still think he's da man!

Kerry
plus Amy Sue and Bootleg, too

Exocat
September 17th 05, 10:54 AM
"Marina" > wrote

>> (or make mittens of them, as a German gang once came to S-E England
>> to do).
>>
> Oh, that's horrible! Were they caught?

I'm afraid I don't know. Probably not. In the '80's I still lived in
London
and when Aries (RB) went missing I checked all the usual sources
(RSPCA, Vets, CP, Police) and the local bobby (beat policeman)
told me that there was a rash of cat disappearances in the S-E
as Germany had unsatisfied demand for kitty mittens. I believe
there's been one other surge in popularity since (as currently
designers have made fur fashionable once again, d*mn them).

>>padbolt

> I see what you mean, but if a criminal was determined to get the cats,
> they could easily break through the mesh.

Obviously no security can withstand a determined assault, but I'm
thinking of just the "opportunist" low-grade villain, such as seem to
exist in every community who sees the chance
of making a few Euros for one minute's work: lift the hook with the
blade of a pocket-knife, scruff a pedigree cat and walk briskly away
before he's been spotted.

The view of a padlock & hasp would mean he wouldn't even try.

An acquaintance of mine in rural Camborne (West Cornwall) had
one of his pedigree Burmese kittens "lifted" from his back garden
by a passer-by (member of the local 'bad apple' family) who took it
home with a view to an upcountry re-sale. Publicity in the local press
found them out (their honest neighbours spotted the new arrival
through a window & 'phoned the paper who passed it on) and a
rescue was effected.

But the ease of such an opportunist catnapping in even the most
apparently small and law-abiding community has stayed with me
ever since.

Hope this helps :-)

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Karen
September 17th 05, 02:46 PM
On 2005-09-15 05:41:11 -0500, Marina > said:

> The enclosure is here! The cats immediately went out to investigate
> once the scary builders had left. Unfortunately, it started raining
> when the enclosure was finished (lucky for the builders, of course).
> Photos at
>
> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/album?.dir=5608&.src=ph&store
> =&prodid=&.done=http%3a//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/my_photos
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/bjsjp
>
> Miranda was a brave girl just now, and climbed up the pole and hung out
> on the shelf for a while (until people walked by and she darted inside
> again, she's also a shy girl).
>
> Frank scarfed a lot of grass, and then came in and threw it all up.
> Caliban hasn't stopped zooming around since he first set paw outside.
> He's never been outside before, so this was especially exciting for him.
>
> There is one pole, three planks going across at shoulder height (on
> me), two small shelves attached to the sides, and a 'kitty ladder' that
> goes up to one of the shelves and then continues up to one of the
> planks. There's a door that opens to the rest of the garden (Frank
> looks out of it in one of the pictures). I have rickety cat tree with a
> cubicle at the bottom that I thought could serve as shelter on windy
> days (Miranda sits on top of it in one of the pics). I can even have my
> folding chair inside the enclosure and sit out there with the cats.
> There's a balcony above us that acts as a roof for part of the
> enclosure.

I LOVE that photo of the three of them on the plank. SOo cool. I wish I
could figure out *soemthing* for my balcony that was "acceptable" to my
company.

SuzQ
September 18th 05, 11:39 PM
"Marina" > wrote
> The hook's on the inside

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/detail?.dir=5608&.dnm=89a7.jpg&.src=ph
> Oh, yes, there are a few new pictures after the hook one.

They look so Happy.
Suz