PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Solution

CharIie Wilkes
September 13th 05, 09:37 PM
There is a point in "The Godfather" by M. Puzo where one of the
characters says, "I tried to live within the system, but the system
failed me. Now, for justice, I must go to Don Corleone."

That is what has happened here.

I believe this can be avoided, in the future, if the participants in
these groups will accept two simple suggestions:

1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.

2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
and will.

These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury the
hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these two
groups.

Charlie

Candace
September 13th 05, 10:29 PM

> 1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
> alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
> sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.
>
> 2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
> actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
> option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
> business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
> personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
> don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
> and will.
>

> These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury the
> hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these two
> groups.
>
> Charlie

I concur. It may be too mature for others to deal with, though:)

Fortunately, I have not been either the recipient or the perp in either
of these sorts of situations and I would prefer to keep it that way.

Candace

Cwaazie Caatttz
September 13th 05, 10:42 PM
Candace bent over and whined:

>> 1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
>> alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
>> sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.
>>
>> 2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
>> actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
>> option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
>> business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
>> personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
>> don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
>> and will.
>>

>> These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury the
>> hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these two
>> groups.
>>
>> Charlie

**** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd
think one of these PI revealing netKKKops would have stepped up and
addressed the issue by now. But they have not, therefore proving the
UTB's point that PI revealers and netKKKops are cowards.

cluck cluck Chuck

>I concur. It may be too mature for others to deal with, though:)

You're blonde and you have big tits dontcha ;)

Candace
September 13th 05, 10:55 PM
Cwaazie Caatttz wrote:

> You're blonde and you have big tits dontcha ;)

Sounds like ya wanna do me. Get in line, chump.

Candace

John Doe
September 13th 05, 11:01 PM
CharIie Wilkes <charIie_wilkes users.easynews.com> wrote:

> There is a point in "The Godfather" by M. Puzo where one of the
> characters says, "I tried to live within the system, but the
> system failed me. Now, for justice, I must go to Don Corleone."

So you think you are in a movie.

> That is what has happened here.
> I believe this can be avoided, in the future, if the
> participants in these groups will accept two simple suggestions:

It can be avoided by having your Internet service terminated or
having your Internet service provider blocked from other Internet
service providers.

> 1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no
> other alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or
> attempting a sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go
> away.

Wrong. That is exactly what you should have done for the offense
you talk about next.

> 2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that
> can actually be used to harrass them in the real world.

If you're going to upset others on USENET, you'll have to keep
your personal information separate from them. If your ego is too
big for anonymity, that's your problem.

> No one has the option of ignoring someone who is sending
> obnoxious email to friends, business associates and family
> members. It can genuinely cause personal problems. It's
> illegal, too.

So don't publish your personal information under your USENET
persona.

> But the cops are busy. They don't have the resources to address
> problems like that. Others do, and will.

Your explicit threat makes prosecution easier.

> These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury
> the hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these
> two groups.

Cat groups aren't the only groups involved.

see also:
nym shifting psychopath troll flood
UTB
UTBill
rcn.net
hanaro.com
164-204.resnet.smu.edu

> From: CharIie Wilkes <charIie_wilkes users.easynews.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
> Subject: Proposed Solution
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:37:46 GMT

Magic Mood JeepŠ
September 13th 05, 11:04 PM
Candace wrote:
> Cwaazie Caatttz wrote:
>
>> You're blonde and you have big tits dontcha ;)
>
> Sounds like ya wanna do me. Get in line, chump.
>
> Candace

Please remove crossposts before replying to trolls.

Better yet, ignore them completely, they will get bored and go play by
themselves (hopefully in traffic)

John Doe
September 13th 05, 11:21 PM
Malicious troll
see also:
Steve Leyland
steveREMOVEDOTINVALIDTOREPLY meow.org.invalid
UTBill

Cwaazie Caatttz <8c4n2g 0f7v3m.led> wrote:

> From: Cwaazie Caatttz <8c4n2g 0f7v3m.led>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav ,rec.pets
> Subject: Re: Proposed Solution
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0700
>
> Candace bent over and whined:
>

>>> 1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
>>> alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
>>> sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.
>>>
>>> 2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
>>> actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
>>> option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
>>> business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
>>> personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
>>> don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
>>> and will.
>>>

>>> These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury the
>>> hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these two
>>> groups.
>>>
>>> Charlie
>
> **** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
> information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd
> think one of these PI revealing netKKKops would have stepped up and
> addressed the issue by now. But they have not, therefore proving the
> UTB's point that PI revealers and netKKKops are cowards.
>
> cluck cluck Chuck
>
>>I concur. It may be too mature for others to deal with, though:)
>
> You're blonde and you have big tits dontcha ;)

Charlie Wilkes
September 13th 05, 11:49 PM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0700, Cwaazie Caatttz
> wrote:

>Candace bent over and whined:
>

>>> 1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
>>> alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
>>> sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.
>>>
>>> 2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
>>> actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
>>> option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
>>> business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
>>> personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
>>> don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
>>> and will.
>>>

>>> These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury the
>>> hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these two
>>> groups.
>>>
>>> Charlie
>
>**** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
>information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd

How do you read that into my comments? I do not believe it is ever
appropriate to post private information about people. This medium is
too full of weirdos for that to be acceptable under any circumstances.

As for netcopping, I've been on usenet for about a decade, and I have
never once filed an abuse report -- until yesterday. Someone used DDE
to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
something I posted, and he is continuing to do so. Is that free
speech? I think it is more like an attempt to intimidate me into
silence.

Here is the latest line I deleted from my win.ini file:

run=c:\windows\alevir.exe

Obviously I'm matched against a real genius, right? I don't do puny
**** like that to people. Why should I put up with it?

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 12:00 AM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:01:18 GMT, John Doe >
wrote:

>> But the cops are busy. They don't have the resources to address
>> problems like that. Others do, and will.
>
>Your explicit threat makes prosecution easier.

???

My explicit threat??? What the hell is anyone going to prosecute me
for? Do you think DAs across the country are standing by, waiting for
the smallest pretext so they can vindicate your psychotic worldview?
Talk to one and find out if that is the case.

Charlie

Justin L
September 14th 05, 12:09 AM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:49:35 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:

> Someone used DDE
>to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
>something I posted, and he is continuing to do so.
<snip>
all BS aside,
why on earth are you letting someone install scripts on your machine?

Don't you have a router or software firewall?

You might want to look into one.

John Doe
September 14th 05, 12:40 AM
Charlie Wilkes <charlie_wilkes users.easynews.com> wrote:
> John Doe <jdoe usenet.love.invalid> wrote:
>> Charlie Wilkes <charlie_wilkes users.easynews.com> wrote:

>>> But the cops are busy. They don't have the resources to
>>> address problems like that. Others do, and will.

>>Your explicit threat makes prosecution easier.

> ???
> My explicit threat???

Yes, as in "written".

> Do you think DAs across the country are standing by, waiting for
> the smallest pretext so they can vindicate your psychotic
> worldview?

Speaking of:
"... we need to get torture back into the penal code...they
would think twice if they knew they were going to get an eyeball
slowly dug out of its socket."

The other author is right about someone running scripts on your
computer, you should take precautions and avoid blaming everyone
else. If you don't have kids, try making a computer literate
friend.

And always have a removable media copy of any important
information. Always.

> From: Charlie Wilkes <charlie_wilkes users.easynews.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
> Subject: Re: Proposed Solution
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:00:56 GMT

Cwazy Cwazy Catt
September 14th 05, 12:44 AM
Candace bent over and whined:

>Cwaazie Caatttz wrote:
>
>> You're blonde and you have big tits dontcha ;)
>
>Sounds like ya wanna do me.

I wouldn't do you with Jills dick ;)

Rhonda
September 14th 05, 12:44 AM
Charlie,

Before now, I would have agreed with you.

I have never ever filed an abuse report for usenet, but this is changing
my mind. This childish, revenge-filled flooding bull**** has had the
opposite effect on me.

Rhonda

CharIie Wilkes wrote:

> I believe this can be avoided, in the future, if the participants in
> these groups will accept two simple suggestions:
>
> 1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
> alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
> sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.
>
> 2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
> actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
> option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
> business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
> personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
> don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
> and will.

Cwazy Cwazy Catt
September 14th 05, 12:44 AM
John Doe bent over and whined:

Get a life cockbite

>Malicious troll
>see also:
>Steve Leyland
>steveREMOVEDOTINVALIDTOREPLY meow.org.invalid
>UTBill
>
>Cwaazie Caatttz <8c4n2g 0f7v3m.led> wrote:

>> From: Cwaazie Caatttz <8c4n2g 0f7v3m.led>
>> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav ,rec.pets
>> Subject: Re: Proposed Solution
>> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0700
>>
>> Candace bent over and whined:

>> **** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
>> information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd
>> think one of these PI revealing netKKKops would have stepped up and
>> addressed the issue by now. But they have not, therefore proving the
>> UTB's point that PI revealers and netKKKops are cowards.
>>
>> cluck cluck Chuck
>>
>>>I concur. It may be too mature for others to deal with, though:)
>>
>> You're blonde and you have big tits dontcha ;)

Cwazy Cwazy Catt
September 14th 05, 12:48 AM
Charlie Wilkes bent over and whined:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0700, Cwaazie Caatttz
> wrote:
>
>>Candace bent over and whined:

>>**** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
>>information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd
>
>How do you read that into my comments? I do not believe it is ever
>appropriate to post private information about people. This medium is
>too full of weirdos for that to be acceptable under any circumstances.
>
>As for netcopping, I've been on usenet for about a decade, and I have
>never once filed an abuse report -- until yesterday. Someone used DDE
>to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
>something I posted, and he is continuing to do so. Is that free
>speech? I think it is more like an attempt to intimidate me into
>silence.
>
>Here is the latest line I deleted from my win.ini file:
>
>run=c:\windows\alevir.exe
>
>Obviously I'm matched against a real genius, right? I don't do puny
>**** like that to people. Why should I put up with it?
>
>Charlie

You're waffling like a politician Chuck. Leave it go...take
action...leave it go...take action.

My my Chuck, you're trying to troll me aintcha....naughty boi ;)

Cwazy Cwazy Catt
September 14th 05, 12:51 AM
John Doe bent over and whined:

>CharIie Wilkes <charIie_wilkes users.easynews.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a point in "The Godfather" by M. Puzo where one of the
>> characters says, "I tried to live within the system, but the
>> system failed me. Now, for justice, I must go to Don Corleone."
>
>So you think

Unlike you Jane Doe, he's capable of thinking.

>> That is what has happened here.
>> I believe this can be avoided, in the future, if the
>> participants in these groups will accept two simple suggestions:
>
>It can be avoided by having your Internet service terminated or
>having your Internet service provider blocked from other Internet
>service providers.
>
>> 1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no
>> other alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or
>> attempting a sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go
>> away.
>
>Wrong. That is exactly what you should have done for the offense
>you talk about next.
>
>> 2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that
>> can actually be used to harrass them in the real world.
>
>If you're going to upset others on USENET, you'll have to keep
>your personal information separate from them. If your ego is too
>big for anonymity, that's your problem.
>
>> No one has the option of ignoring someone who is sending
>> obnoxious email to friends, business associates and family
>> members. It can genuinely cause personal problems. It's
>> illegal, too.
>
>So don't publish your personal information under your USENET
>persona.
>
>> But the cops are busy. They don't have the resources to address
>> problems like that. Others do, and will.
>
>Your explicit threat makes prosecution easier.
>
>> These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury
>> the hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these
>> two groups.
>
>Cat groups aren't the only groups involved.
>
>see also:
>nym shifting psychopath troll flood
>UTB
>UTBill
>rcn.net
>hanaro.com
>164-204.resnet.smu.edu

Where's Kornet and Telus?
You're a **** poor netKKKop Jane ;)

<snip rest of babble>

Cwazy Cwazy Catt
September 14th 05, 12:53 AM
Charlie Wilkes bent over and whined:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:01:18 GMT, John Doe >
>wrote:
>>
>>> But the cops are busy. They don't have the resources to address
>>> problems like that. Others do, and will.
>>
>>Your explicit threat makes prosecution easier.
>
>???
>
>My explicit threat??? What the hell is anyone going to prosecute me
>for? Do you think DAs across the country are standing by, waiting for
>the smallest pretext so they can vindicate your psychotic worldview?
>Talk to one and find out if that is the case.
>
>Charlie

Don't let him push your button Chuck as Jane's an idiot. I may
disagree with your presentation, but you're the only one that's had
ballz enough to at least address the issue(s).

Cwazy Cwazy Catt
September 14th 05, 12:55 AM
John Doe bent over and whined:

>"... we need to get torture back into the penal code...they
>would think twice if they knew they were going to get an eyeball
>slowly dug out of its socket."

So that's why you're ****ed. I splooged on your good eye ;)

Cwazy Cwazy Catt
September 14th 05, 12:58 AM
Rhonda bent over and whined:

>Charlie,
>
>Before now, I would have agreed with you.
>
>I have never ever filed an abuse report for usenet, but this is changing
>my mind. This childish, revenge-filled flooding bull**** has had the
>opposite effect on me.

Typical PI revealing netKKKop philosophy. What goes around comes
around Rhonda sweetie. Karma is going to find you running through a
crowd naked one day.

/woosh~~~~~~~~~~~~~

;)

Rhonda
September 14th 05, 01:57 AM
Are you enjoying yourself? Are you the one flooding? How many hours day
and night does it consume of your life?

Rhonda

Cwazy Cwazy Catt wrote:

> Typical PI revealing netKKKop philosophy. What goes around comes
> around Rhonda sweetie. Karma is going to find you running through a
> crowd naked one day.
>
> /woosh~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> ;)

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 05:07 AM
Justin L > wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:49:35 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:
>
>> Someone used DDE
>>to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
>>something I posted, and he is continuing to do so.
><snip>
>all BS aside,
>why on earth are you letting someone install scripts on your machine?
>
>Don't you have a router or software firewall?
>
>You might want to look into one.

Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
the price is that you don't really know what is going on.

Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.

But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
principle.

Charlie

Justin L
September 14th 05, 05:37 AM
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:07:55 GMT,
ink.net (Charlie
Wilkes) wrote:

>Justin L > wrote:
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:49:35 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone used DDE
>>>to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
>>>something I posted, and he is continuing to do so.
>><snip>
>>all BS aside,
>>why on earth are you letting someone install scripts on your machine?
>>
>>Don't you have a router or software firewall?
>>
>>You might want to look into one.
>
>Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
>the price is that you don't really know what is going on.

that is one of the most bizarre statements I think I have ever read.
You smoking that good **** tonight?
You actually know more what is going on when you run a firewall,
because they have logging capabilities, and most software firewalls
have program control (where it asks if you want to allow a program to
access the Internet)
Even if you are anti-firewall, for some crazy reason, you shouldn't
have any open ports listening for anonymous connections, that is just
asking for trouble. I don't know much about this DDE you spoke of, but
is it really needed? Can you disable it?
Do you patch your operating system?

>Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
>drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
>I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
>I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.

You know, they can use your computer to store things like kiddie porn
without your knowledge? Also they can use your system to attack other
systems. So that logic is pretty much flawed

>But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
>principle.

You are an easy prey, it's as simple as that.
Tighten up your system, don't blame the kiddies, they don't know any
better.

Phillis Starkey
September 14th 05, 06:40 AM
Rhonda wrote:

> Are you enjoying yourself? Are you the one flooding? How many hours day
> and night does it consume of your life?

I find it so interesting: the things you object to vociferously given the
events of the last six months in this group.

In answer to your question, I would wager that Cwazy Catt spends less
than an hour a day on this job, which would be much less time than the
Google stalkers spend discrediting those they dislike. Why do you ask?

meee
September 14th 05, 08:22 AM
as a newbie to usenet, i was inclined to think you were all mad, or that you
were innocents being annoyed by a bunch of bored teenagers. However there
seems to be something else going on. I was not wanting to get involved, but
I have been just by being here, so I may as well say my bit. If what the
flooders are saying is true, I'm not sure I want to be part of this. These
groups are supposed to be for discussions, right? As in normal conversation,
q & a about cats, right? friendships made, the cause of animal rights &
awareness furthered etc. etc. In a normal conversation/work/group situation
in 'real life' if someone disagrees with your point of view, you may
disagree with them, but most normal people agree to disagree eventually, and
if the disagreement is severe, avoid each other. If someone starts spreading
rumours, constantly bitch fighting and generally acting like a three year
old about he disagreement, they end up causing trouble and fights, and even
if it might take a while, they end up looking like the idiot. maybe that's
what's happening here. Even if someone in the group was being obnoxious,
wouldn't you just block them and/or not open their posts? Isn't that just
plain common sense. Now excuse me if I sound one sided, but the accusations
by the flooders are pretty specific. people who do this for fun don't
usually have a reason, except 'I'm worried about the size of my dick'
psychosis. And as the people feeding the trolls don't seem to have anything
sensible to say back to the accusations than what I've read above, I'm
inclined to think that where there's smoke there's fire. i subscribed to
this group because I wanted to discuss cats. If I'm going to get ostracized
(in the good old Roman sense of the word) for expressing opinions which I'm
sure will disagree with someone here, go ahead. as crazy cats rather
explicitly posted, karma will come back on you, if you mess with people's
lives. If it's all troll crap, I would like to know what is going on, as
these people arent as destructive as bored teenagers, as they are willing to
discuss this with people who don't start the conversation with abuse.

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 08:43 AM
In article s.net>,
Fraction > wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:49:35 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0700, Cwaazie Caatttz
> wrote:
>>
>>>Candace bent over and whined:

>>>**** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
>>>information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd
>>
>>How do you read that into my comments? I do not believe it is ever
>>appropriate to post private information about people. This medium is
>>too full of weirdos for that to be acceptable under any circumstances.
>>
>>As for netcopping, I've been on usenet for about a decade, and I have
>>never once filed an abuse report -- until yesterday. Someone used DDE
>>to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
>>something I posted, and he is continuing to do so. Is that free
>>speech? I think it is more like an attempt to intimidate me into
>>silence.
>>
>>Here is the latest line I deleted from my win.ini file:
>>
>>run=c:\windows\alevir.exe
>>
>>Obviously I'm matched against a real genius, right? I don't do puny
>>**** like that to people. Why should I put up with it?
>
>You're joking, right? The only way anybody can run anything on your
>computer is if you allow it.
>
>--
>Fraction

Well, not exactly. I don't allow it. I'm just clueless about this stuff,
easy to exploit.

But, I understand your broader point. It's like leaving my car unlocked in
a bad neighborhood. If someone rifles through the glove box and takes
something valuable, who do I have to blame? Myself, for not locking the
car.

BUT... the guy who ripped me off is still a shiftless low-life. Ditto the
guy who puts spyware on my system because he's ****ed about something I
said on Usenet.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 08:43 AM
In article >,
Cwazy Cwazy Catt > wrote:
>Charlie Wilkes bent over and whined:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0700, Cwaazie Caatttz
> wrote:
>>
>>>Candace bent over and whined:

>>>**** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
>>>information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd
>>
>>How do you read that into my comments? I do not believe it is ever
>>appropriate to post private information about people. This medium is
>>too full of weirdos for that to be acceptable under any circumstances.
>>
>>As for netcopping, I've been on usenet for about a decade, and I have
>>never once filed an abuse report -- until yesterday. Someone used DDE
>>to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
>>something I posted, and he is continuing to do so. Is that free
>>speech? I think it is more like an attempt to intimidate me into
>>silence.
>>
>>Here is the latest line I deleted from my win.ini file:
>>
>>run=c:\windows\alevir.exe
>>
>>Obviously I'm matched against a real genius, right? I don't do puny
>>**** like that to people. Why should I put up with it?
>>
>>Charlie
>
>You're waffling like a politician Chuck. Leave it go...take
>action...leave it go...take action.

No, I'm consistent. I'm opposed to any release of private information
on Usenet, no matter who it is. I'm supportive of free speech, but within
the limits of a civil society -- no credible threats or real defamation,
as opposed to so-and-so sucks rancid pus out of festering venereal lesions,
which, in the case of the anecdotes regulars, is merely the truth albeit
slightly glossed over.

>My my Chuck, you're trying to troll me aintcha....naughty boi ;)

Why do you think that? I'm trying to be completely straight and
direct, addressing you as a fellow traveler in life rather than a dark
lord of chaos. You have raised the subject of ethics... freedom of speech,
freedom to protect one's privacy. Do you consider 10 million lines of
ascii gibberish free speech? It appears to be aimed at making
communication difficult, like blasting a radio in a room where people
are trying to have a meeting.

BTW, your fellow malicious hackers are hacking away diligently. I just got
a message that said "Warning! Windows has detected spyware on your
browser!" But it loses its impact in a DOS terminal. I wonder if
they have anything for Arachne?

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 09:21 AM
In article >,
"meee" > wrote:
>as a newbie to usenet,

You showed up at a good time not to stay a newbie for very long. Stick
around.

There are some good cat people here, too.

i was inclined to think you were all mad, or that you
>were innocents being annoyed by a bunch of bored teenagers. However there
>seems to be something else going on.

Yep. The crux of the problem is that some people aren't satisfied to
keep it in the group, and either ignore or flame whoever they don't like.
Instead, they have taken to various strategies such as getting together
and sending a lot of abuse reports and worse, undertaking detective work
to find out private information about people and reveal it in the
group... anonymously, of course. That is a harmful practice.

Krazy Kat is here as the masked avenger. And I gotta tell you, I'm
ambivalent, because the man is going after ALL the right people,
and I can't help but savor that with glee.

I guess I like Krazy Kat as the untouchable commentator, but I don't like
the flooding. But I'll take the bad with the good.

Just my opinion.

Charlie

Wendy
September 14th 05, 11:22 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" ink.net>
wrote in message ...
> In article s.net>,
> Fraction > wrote:
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:49:35 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:

>>>How do you read that into my comments? I do not believe it is ever
>>>appropriate to post private information about people. This medium is
>>>too full of weirdos for that to be acceptable under any circumstances.
>>>
>>>As for netcopping, I've been on usenet for about a decade, and I have
>>>never once filed an abuse report -- until yesterday. Someone used DDE
>>>to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
>>>something I posted, and he is continuing to do so. Is that free
>>>speech? I think it is more like an attempt to intimidate me into
>>>silence.
>>>
>>>Here is the latest line I deleted from my win.ini file:
>>>
>>>run=c:\windows\alevir.exe
>>>
>>>Obviously I'm matched against a real genius, right? I don't do puny
>>>**** like that to people. Why should I put up with it?
>>
>>You're joking, right? The only way anybody can run anything on your
>>computer is if you allow it.
>>
>>--
>>Fraction
>
> Well, not exactly. I don't allow it. I'm just clueless about this stuff,
> easy to exploit.
>
> But, I understand your broader point. It's like leaving my car unlocked
> in
> a bad neighborhood. If someone rifles through the glove box and takes
> something valuable, who do I have to blame? Myself, for not locking the
> car.
>
> BUT... the guy who ripped me off is still a shiftless low-life. Ditto the
> guy who puts spyware on my system because he's ****ed about something I
> said on Usenet.
>
> Charlie

It's more like leaving your car unlocked in a bad neighborhood with the keys
in the ignition.

If your browsing without a firewall and virus protection you are more likely
to have picked up whatever you got there rather than here.

Wendy
September 14th 05, 11:23 AM
"Fraction" > wrote in message
eenews.net...
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:43:54 GMT,
> ink.net (Charlie Wilkes)
> wrote:
>
>>In article s.net>,
>>Fraction > wrote:

>>>You're joking, right? The only way anybody can run anything on your
>>>computer is if you allow it.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Fraction
>>
>>Well, not exactly. I don't allow it. I'm just clueless about this stuff,
>>easy to exploit.
>>
>>But, I understand your broader point. It's like leaving my car unlocked
>>in
>>a bad neighborhood. If someone rifles through the glove box and takes
>>something valuable, who do I have to blame? Myself, for not locking the
>>car.
>>
>>BUT... the guy who ripped me off is still a shiftless low-life. Ditto the
>>guy who puts spyware on my system because he's ****ed about something I
>>said on Usenet.
>
> Download and install:
>
> AVG Free Edition (Virus Protection)
> Kerio Version 2.1.5 (Firewall)
> Ad-Aware (SpyWare detection)
>
> They're all free, easy to install and easy to keep updated. Combined with
> little attention to what you open they should provide adequate protection.
>
> --
> Fraction

Just curious, why Kerio as opposed to Zone Alarm? Fewer conflicts?

Wendy
September 14th 05, 11:34 AM
"Justin L" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:07:55 GMT,
> ink.net (Charlie
> Wilkes) wrote:
>
>>Justin L > wrote:

>>><snip>
>>>all BS aside,
>>>why on earth are you letting someone install scripts on your machine?
>>>
>>>Don't you have a router or software firewall?
>>>
>>>You might want to look into one.
>>
>>Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
>>the price is that you don't really know what is going on.
>
> that is one of the most bizarre statements I think I have ever read.
> You smoking that good **** tonight?
> You actually know more what is going on when you run a firewall,
> because they have logging capabilities, and most software firewalls
> have program control (where it asks if you want to allow a program to
> access the Internet)
> Even if you are anti-firewall, for some crazy reason, you shouldn't
> have any open ports listening for anonymous connections, that is just
> asking for trouble. I don't know much about this DDE you spoke of, but
> is it really needed? Can you disable it?
> Do you patch your operating system?

DDE: Acronym for Dynamic Data Exchange, an interprocess communication (IPC)
system built into the Macintosh, Windows, and OS/2 operating systems. DDE
enables two running applications to share the same data. For example, DDE
makes it possible to insert a spreadsheet chart into a document created with
a word processor. Whenever the spreadsheet data changes, the chart in the
document changes accordingly.
Although the DDE mechanism is still used by many applications, it is being
supplanted by OLE, which provides greater control over shared data.

>>Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
>>drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
>>I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
>>I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.
>>

> You know, they can use your computer to store things like kiddie porn
> without your knowledge? Also they can use your system to attack other
> systems. So that logic is pretty much flawed
>

>>But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
>>principle.
>
> You are an easy prey, it's as simple as that.
> Tighten up your system, don't blame the kiddies, they don't know any
> better.

5cats
September 14th 05, 12:07 PM
meee wrote:

> Even if someone in the group was being obnoxious,
> wouldn't you just block them and/or not open their posts?

Yes, normally you would. But, it seems that at least one person kept nym-
shifting, which would make blocking them more difficult. (hearsay, I wasn't
here at the time)

J. Warrick
September 14th 05, 03:41 PM
5cats wrote:

> meee wrote:
>
> > Even if someone in the group was being obnoxious,
> > wouldn't you just block them and/or not open their posts?
>
> Yes, normally you would. But, it seems that at least one person kept nym-
> shifting, which would make blocking them more difficult.

Not true. Mary posted as Mary only for over two years in this group. In fact,
the two times she changed emails (not posting names, just emails) she ANNOUNCED
it, with a header like "This is my new email address, please adjust your killfiles
accordingly." What you were reading about is what the netcopping assholes did
after their complaints to her ISP did not work. They dug up posts from over four
years ago, some hers, some not, in which she used different posting names. Add
to all of this the fact that the woman posted on-topic 90% of the time. This is
the "big bad troll" you are hearing about.

(hearsay, I wasn't
> here at the time)

Quite clearly.

Candace
September 14th 05, 06:15 PM
Lamey - The cable guy wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2005 14:55:06 -0700, wrote:
>
> >Cwaazie Caatttz wrote:
> >
> >> You're blonde and you have big tits dontcha ;)
> >
> >Sounds like ya wanna do me. Get in line, chump.
> >
> >Candace
>
> Are you saying you're a slut?

Just purty. There's always a line around me...I guess that'd be a
circle. There's always a circle around me.

Candace

Cwazy Zachy :)
September 14th 05, 07:19 PM
Candace bent over and whined:

>Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

>> >Sounds like ya wanna do me. Get in line, chump.
>> >
>> >Candace
>>
>> Are you saying you're a slut?
>
>Just purty.

I'm a handsome male slut. Do lunch sometime? ;)

Rhonda
September 14th 05, 07:38 PM
Phillis Starkey wrote:

> Rhonda wrote:
>

>>Are you enjoying yourself? Are you the one flooding? How many hours day
>>and night does it consume of your life?
>>

> I find it so interesting: the things you object to vociferously given the
> events of the last six months in this group.

Delighted to be of interest.

> In answer to your question, I would wager that Cwazy Catt spends less
> than an hour a day on this job, which would be much less time than the
> Google stalkers spend discrediting those they dislike. Why do you ask?

It's just sad, Phillis. :)

Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 11:29 PM
In article >,
Lamey - The cable guy > wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:37:46 GMT, wrote:
>
>>There is a point in "The Godfather" by M. Puzo where one of the
>>characters says, "I tried to live within the system, but the system
>>failed me. Now, for justice, I must go to Don Corleone."
>>
>>That is what has happened here.
>>
>>I believe this can be avoided, in the future, if the participants in
>>these groups will accept two simple suggestions:
>>
>>1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
>>alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
>>sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.
>>
>>2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
>>actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
>>option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
>>business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
>>personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
>>don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
>>and will.
>>

>>These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury the
>>hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these two
>>groups.
>

>You're ready to bury the hatchet? Like if you don't something will
>happen? You need to be praying UTB is willing to bury it.

Have you considered a career with the IRS, Lamey? Then you could really
make people nervous.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 11:29 PM
In article s.net>,
Fraction > wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:43:54 GMT,
ink.net (Charlie Wilkes)
>wrote:
>
>>In article s.net>,
>>Fraction > wrote:

>>>You're joking, right? The only way anybody can run anything on your
>>>computer is if you allow it.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Fraction
>>
>>Well, not exactly. I don't allow it. I'm just clueless about this stuff,
>>easy to exploit.
>>
>>But, I understand your broader point. It's like leaving my car unlocked in
>>a bad neighborhood. If someone rifles through the glove box and takes
>>something valuable, who do I have to blame? Myself, for not locking the
>>car.
>>
>>BUT... the guy who ripped me off is still a shiftless low-life. Ditto the
>>guy who puts spyware on my system because he's ****ed about something I
>>said on Usenet.
>
>Download and install:
>
>AVG Free Edition (Virus Protection)
>Kerio Version 2.1.5 (Firewall)
>Ad-Aware (SpyWare detection)
>
>They're all free, easy to install and easy to keep updated. Combined with a
>little attention to what you open they should provide adequate protection.
>
>--
>Fraction

Thanks. I will install the firewall at least.

Up until now, I haven't had a problem. I use a non-java browser and
98 Lite, pared down to a bare minimum. Also I have dialup, which
limits my exposure.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
September 14th 05, 11:30 PM
In article >,
Justin L > wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:07:55 GMT,
ink.net (Charlie
>Wilkes) wrote:
>
>>Justin L > wrote:

>>><snip>
>>>all BS aside,
>>>why on earth are you letting someone install scripts on your machine?
>>>
>>>Don't you have a router or software firewall?
>>>
>>>You might want to look into one.
>>
>>Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
>>the price is that you don't really know what is going on.
>
>that is one of the most bizarre statements I think I have ever read.
>You smoking that good **** tonight?

Yes.

>You actually know more what is going on when you run a firewall,
>because they have logging capabilities, and most software firewalls
>have program control (where it asks if you want to allow a program to
>access the Internet)
>Even if you are anti-firewall, for some crazy reason, you shouldn't
>have any open ports listening for anonymous connections, that is just
>asking for trouble. I don't know much about this DDE you spoke of, but
>is it really needed? Can you disable it?

I don't know anything about it either, but I can find out whatever I need
to learn, right? My general understanding is that these guys can upload
scripts to open ports the same way the IRC crowd swaps files.

I was pretty alarmed over the weekend, to be honest. I didn't follow a
rational test procedure. Instead, when this started happening, I just
figured it is a script somewhere, I'll deal with it later, meanwhile I'll
switch over to my pure DOS machine. But that appeared to be uploading
data too! I checked my TSRs... nothing unusual.

That made me think these guys had something pretty clever going on. But, it
turned out there is a faulty diode on my external modem. The TD light
stays lit sometimes even when the connection is dead. Once I figured that
out, I went back and checked my registry and immediately saw the problem.

As for my bizarre statement, it's interesting to see what can happen. I
have a collection of malicious software packed in a zip file.
How else would I come by that? Unfortunately all the scripts are compiled.
I'll bet they were compiled before these boneheads got them, too.

>Do you patch your operating system?

No. I'm more worried about what MS might decide to put on my drive than
I am about these kids. MS corporate customers are the ones who want all
these script processors baked into the OS, so they can manipulate systems
and get information when people visit their web sites. The kids are doing
the same thing big corporations pay programmers in India to do.

>>Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
>>drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
>>I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
>>I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.
>>

>You know, they can use your computer to store things like kiddie porn
>without your knowledge? Also they can use your system to attack other
>systems. So that logic is pretty much flawed

They aren't going to store anything without my knowing about it. I've got
a thin dialup connection, and at this point, I've set up a way of
comparing files etc. so I can see everything that has changed.
I am also wiping my slack.

>>But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
>>principle.
>
>You are an easy prey, it's as simple as that.

It looks like these "malicious hackers" need easy prey or else they are SOL.

Charlie

Candace
September 15th 05, 12:41 AM
Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

> >Just purty. There's always a line around me...I guess that'd be a
> >circle. There's always a circle around me.
> >
> >Candace
>

> A jerk circle?

Yeah, I'm purty sure that's what they're all doing :)

Candace

Topaz
September 15th 05, 12:58 AM
"Candace" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Lamey - The cable guy wrote:
>
> > >Just purty. There's always a line around me...I guess that'd be a
> > >circle. There's always a circle around me.
> > >
> > >Candace
> >

> > A jerk circle?
>
> Yeah, I'm purty sure that's what they're all doing :)
>
> Candace

*gasp*

LOL Candace!!

Trish
September 15th 05, 04:52 AM
"Charlie Wilkes"
ink.net> wrote in
message ...
> In article >,
> "meee" > wrote:
> >as a newbie to usenet,
>
> You showed up at a good time not to stay a newbie for very long.
Stick
> around.
>
> There are some good cat people here, too.
>

> i was inclined to think you were all mad, or that you
> >were innocents being annoyed by a bunch of bored teenagers. However
there
> >seems to be something else going on.
>
> Yep. The crux of the problem is that some people aren't satisfied to
> keep it in the group, and either ignore or flame whoever they don't
like.
> Instead, they have taken to various strategies such as getting
together
> and sending a lot of abuse reports and worse, undertaking detective
work
> to find out private information about people and reveal it in the
> group... anonymously, of course. That is a harmful practice.
>
> Krazy Kat is here as the masked avenger. And I gotta tell you, I'm
> ambivalent, because the man is going after ALL the right people,
> and I can't help but savor that with glee.
>
> I guess I like Krazy Kat as the untouchable commentator, but I don't
like
> the flooding. But I'll take the bad with the good.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Charlie

Charlie, as usual I'm agreeing with you 100%. I also think that some
people like to use this group as a popularity contest, "look at me, I'm
great I just rescued 5 kittens and bought lotttttttttttttttttttttttts of
toys for them and took pics to show everyone and well gee ain't I
wonderful". Meanwhile these same people overstep boundaries and take
things to rl, which is totally inexcusable.

Trish
September 15th 05, 04:56 AM
"5cats" > wrote in message
> meee wrote:
>
> > Even if someone in the group was being obnoxious,
> > wouldn't you just block them and/or not open their posts?
>
> Yes, normally you would. But, it seems that at least one person kept
nym-
> shifting, which would make blocking them more difficult. (hearsay, I
wasn't
> here at the time)

In a court of law hearsay means sweet f*ck all, so zip it here too, if
you don't know the facts then stop feeding bull****

meee
September 15th 05, 08:27 AM
Trish > wrote in message
.. .

> "Charlie Wilkes"
> ink.net> wrote in
> message ...
> > In article >,
> > "meee" > wrote:
> > >as a newbie to usenet,
> >
> > You showed up at a good time not to stay a newbie for very long.
> Stick
> > around.
> >
> > There are some good cat people here, too.
> >

> > i was inclined to think you were all mad, or that you
> > >were innocents being annoyed by a bunch of bored teenagers. However
> there
> > >seems to be something else going on.
> >
> > Yep. The crux of the problem is that some people aren't satisfied to
> > keep it in the group, and either ignore or flame whoever they don't
> like.
> > Instead, they have taken to various strategies such as getting
> together
> > and sending a lot of abuse reports and worse, undertaking detective
> work
> > to find out private information about people and reveal it in the
> > group... anonymously, of course. That is a harmful practice.
> >
> > Krazy Kat is here as the masked avenger. And I gotta tell you, I'm
> > ambivalent, because the man is going after ALL the right people,
> > and I can't help but savor that with glee.
> >
> > I guess I like Krazy Kat as the untouchable commentator, but I don't
> like
> > the flooding. But I'll take the bad with the good.
> >
> > Just my opinion.
> >
> > Charlie
> >

> Charlie, as usual I'm agreeing with you 100%. I also think that some
> people like to use this group as a popularity contest, "look at me, I'm
> great I just rescued 5 kittens and bought lotttttttttttttttttttttttts of
> toys for them and took pics to show everyone and well gee ain't I
> wonderful". Meanwhile these same people overstep boundaries and take
> things to rl, which is totally inexcusable.

ROTFL very true trish! hail to the cat gods!

Zach's Pussy Waxing & Hair Loss Clinics
September 15th 05, 03:59 PM
Lamey - The cable guy yammered:

>>> A jerk circle?
>>
>>Yeah, I'm purty sure that's what they're all doing :)
>>
>>Candace
>
>Send them away and let me have my way with you.

You dog, I saw her first ;)

Justin L
September 16th 05, 04:17 AM
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:30:00 GMT,
@nowhere (Charlie Wilkes) wrote:

>In article >,
>Justin L > wrote:
<snip>

>>>Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
>>>the price is that you don't really know what is going on.
>>
>>that is one of the most bizarre statements I think I have ever read.
>>You smoking that good **** tonight?
>
>Yes.

groovy

>>You actually know more what is going on when you run a firewall,
>>because they have logging capabilities, and most software firewalls
>>have program control (where it asks if you want to allow a program to
>>access the Internet)
>>Even if you are anti-firewall, for some crazy reason, you shouldn't
>>have any open ports listening for anonymous connections, that is just
>>asking for trouble. I don't know much about this DDE you spoke of, but
>>is it really needed? Can you disable it?
>
>I don't know anything about it either, but I can find out whatever I need
>to learn, right? My general understanding is that these guys can upload
>scripts to open ports the same way the IRC crowd swaps files.
>
>I was pretty alarmed over the weekend, to be honest. I didn't follow a
>rational test procedure. Instead, when this started happening, I just
>figured it is a script somewhere, I'll deal with it later, meanwhile I'll
>switch over to my pure DOS machine. But that appeared to be uploading
>data too! I checked my TSRs... nothing unusual.
>
>That made me think these guys had something pretty clever going on. But, it
>turned out there is a faulty diode on my external modem. The TD light
>stays lit sometimes even when the connection is dead. Once I figured that
>out, I went back and checked my registry and immediately saw the problem.
>
>As for my bizarre statement, it's interesting to see what can happen. I
>have a collection of malicious software packed in a zip file.
>How else would I come by that?

I don' understand what you mean here. You can download malicious
software from a number of places, if you are into that sort of thing.
If you are really interested in playing around with that crap, set up
a small network, not connected to the net, just to be safe.
You never know what it can do...

>Unfortunately all the scripts are compiled.
> I'll bet they were compiled before these boneheads got them, too.
>
>>Do you patch your operating system?
>
>No. I'm more worried about what MS might decide to put on my drive than
>I am about these kids.

why? Why would MS want to put anything malicious on your computer? I
know, it is popular to hate and fear the evil MS <shrug>

>S corporate customers are the ones who want all
>these script processors baked into the OS, so they can manipulate systems
>and get information when people visit their web sites. The kids are doing
>the same thing big corporations pay programmers in India to do.

Actually, MS is supposedly trying to put a stop to all that crap
infecting IE.
http://research.microsoft.com/HoneyMonkey/

>>>Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
>>>drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
>>>I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
>>>I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.
>>>

>>You know, they can use your computer to store things like kiddie porn
>>without your knowledge? Also they can use your system to attack other
>>systems. So that logic is pretty much flawed
>
>They aren't going to store anything without my knowing about it. I've got
>a thin dialup connection, and at this point, I've set up a way of
>comparing files etc. so I can see everything that has changed.
>I am also wiping my slack.

You are probably right, since you are using a dial up connection you
are relatively safe. I would still read up on some computer security.
An excellent site is www.grc.com
He has security scans set up so you can test your system, and he isn't
trying to sell you anything...

>>>But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
>>>principle.
>>
>>You are an easy prey, it's as simple as that.
>
>It looks like these "malicious hackers" need easy prey or else they are SOL.

pretty much true, for most of them.

Charlie Wilkes
September 16th 05, 08:52 AM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:17:31 GMT, Justin L >
wrote:

>I don' understand what you mean here. You can download malicious
>software from a number of places, if you are into that sort of thing.
>If you are really interested in playing around with that crap, set up
>a small network, not connected to the net, just to be safe.
>You never know what it can do...

My point is mainly that I'm open to the learning experience. My
system is easy to reconstitute from scratch if necessary.

>>Unfortunately all the scripts are compiled.
>> I'll bet they were compiled before these boneheads got them, too.
>>
>>>Do you patch your operating system?
>>
>>No. I'm more worried about what MS might decide to put on my drive than
>>I am about these kids.
>
>why? Why would MS want to put anything malicious on your computer? I
>know, it is popular to hate and fear the evil MS <shrug>

All reputations are earned.

>>S corporate customers are the ones who want all
>>these script processors baked into the OS, so they can manipulate systems
>>and get information when people visit their web sites. The kids are doing
>>the same thing big corporations pay programmers in India to do.
>
>Actually, MS is supposedly trying to put a stop to all that crap
>infecting IE.
>http://research.microsoft.com/HoneyMonkey/

They have two incompatible agendas. Yes, they want the OS to be
secure. But they also want to make powerful scripting capabilities
available so that businesses can deliver more "services" over the
internet. Unfortunately, a lot of these "services" involve deception.
I signed up for a free Juno account, and pretty soon they installed
spyware on my machine, labeled as though it was some sort of
enhancement. They are entitled to do it because it's a free,
ad-supported account. But it's still crap I don't want. The fewer
script engines I can get by with, the less of that **** I deal with.
But MS wants me to have them all, because they are selling the
development tools to exploit them.

I paid $25 for a special W98 installer that cuts the size of the
installation in half, with no functionality lost that I care about.

>You are probably right, since you are using a dial up connection you
>are relatively safe. I would still read up on some computer security.
>An excellent site is www.grc.com
>He has security scans set up so you can test your system, and he isn't
>trying to sell you anything...

I am going to get some security going on my system, including a good
firewall. This isn't really a big problem, but it's a nuisance.

Charlie