PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have luck feeding opened-refrigerated-warmed up canned food?

Ajanta
September 13th 05, 09:59 PM
I buy 5.5-6oz cans and each is good for 2 meals. I used a tight lid and
refrigerate the unused portion as per instructions. I always try to use
it within a day. No matter how carefully I warm it, she is reluctant to
eat it. I don't know if it is the fodd or she is missing the ritual of
watching a can being opened. Does anybody here have good luck with
saving part of the can and servign it later? What's your secret?

No More Retail
September 13th 05, 10:31 PM
I have only one cat out of 6 that will eat the food that has been in the
frig but he is a pig and will eat anything all the other play the snub game
and I have had cats for over 30 years and only had maybe one or 2 that
would.

Cats are Cats don't try to understand them just break out the catnip

Jason James
September 13th 05, 11:33 PM
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> I buy 5.5-6oz cans and each is good for 2 meals. I used a tight lid and
> refrigerate the unused portion as per instructions. I always try to use
> it within a day. No matter how carefully I warm it, she is reluctant to
> eat it. I don't know if it is the fodd or she is missing the ritual of
> watching a can being opened. Does anybody here have good luck with
> saving part of the can and servign it later? What's your secret?

Have a similar problem. The only refrigerated food, they'll eat is non-loaf
stuff. It HAS to have plenty of gravy in it other wise a sniff and they look
at you as tho you're trying to feed them rubbish.

I tried adding a little water to give it a mushier consistancy,..but only
partial success.

Jason

Chuck
September 14th 05, 07:24 PM
Ajanta > wrote in message ...
> I buy 5.5-6oz cans and each is good for 2 meals. I used a tight lid and
> refrigerate the unused portion as per instructions. I always try to use
> it within a day. No matter how carefully I warm it, she is reluctant to
> eat it. I don't know if it is the fodd or she is missing the ritual of
> watching a can being opened. Does anybody here have good luck with
> saving part of the can and servign it later? What's your secret?

I feed my many cats mostly dry food, except I
do give them a teaspoon of canned twice a
day -- which they gobble up like it was ambrosia.

There is always some left over, which I mix in
with any previous left-overs in a sealed container,
kept in the fridge. Other than a freshly opened
can, they eat it cold. The only thing notable is
that I feed them only canned seafood.

Chuck

JQ
September 15th 05, 03:14 AM
My cat's the same way but I found it heats up to quickly and stinks.
He'll only eat either fresh out of the can... or if it's been in the
fridge he'll wait for it to warm up slowly to room temperature. If I
microwave it at all he'll refuse it. Must effect the taste. Try leaving
it on a plate for about half hour and then it will naturally heat up a
little and be like just out of the can.
JQ

September 15th 05, 04:10 AM
"JQ" > wrote:

>My cat's the same way but I found it heats up to quickly and stinks.
>He'll only eat either fresh out of the can... or if it's been in the
>fridge he'll wait for it to warm up slowly to room temperature. If I
>microwave it at all he'll refuse it. Must effect the taste. Try leaving
>it on a plate for about half hour and then it will naturally heat up a
>little and be like just out of the can.
>JQ

Maybe your microwave has food smells in it like you get after popcorn
or nuking bacon.
-mhd

Barb
September 15th 05, 03:56 PM
I only microwave the food for 9 seconds. The cats seem satisfied with that.
A previous poster was microwaving much longer than that.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Ajanta

: Maybe your microwave has food smells in it like you get after popcorn
: or nuking bacon.

Good point, I should check my own mw for this possibility.

Another thing to check is if the food has gotten too hot to the touch.

For me, letting the food out for 1-2 hours to warm to the room temp is
more successful than other ways of heating, but she can still tell it
is not fresh.

This is the most surprising part. I open a fresh can and she eats 1/2
of it very happily. Close with a tight lid, refrigerate it, and 10-12
hours later warm it by leaving it out in the room, and now she is
reluctant to eat it.

Chuck
September 15th 05, 11:54 PM
JQ > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My cat's the same way but I found it heats up to quickly and stinks.
> He'll only eat either fresh out of the can... or if it's been in the
> fridge he'll wait for it to warm up slowly to room temperature. If I
> microwave it at all he'll refuse it. Must effect the taste. Try leaving
> it on a plate for about half hour and then it will naturally heat up a
> little and be like just out of the can.
> JQ

Wow, I must be fortunate that my gang sees
canned food as a treat-- gobbling it down as
fast as possible, left-over or not, then snooping
around the other's bowels hoping they left a
scrap... :)

~C

September 16th 05, 01:52 AM
Chuck wrote:
> JQ > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > My cat's the same way but I found it heats up to quickly and stinks.
> > He'll only eat either fresh out of the can... or if it's been in the
> > fridge he'll wait for it to warm up slowly to room temperature. If I
> > microwave it at all he'll refuse it. Must effect the taste. Try leaving
> > it on a plate for about half hour and then it will naturally heat up a
> > little and be like just out of the can.
> > JQ

> Wow, I must be fortunate that my gang sees
> canned food as a treat-- gobbling it down as
> fast as possible, left-over or not, then snooping
> around the other's bowels hoping they left a
> scrap... :)
> ~C

I found re-heating to be a bit bad. Probably changes the fats, cooks
them.
I did find leaving the food out if not a favorite tends to eventually
work. The food warms up. If hungry enough, gets eaten eventually, even
re-heated food. I feel a little uncomfortable if leaving the food out
many hours, like 6+, but so far nothing bad happens. There are probably
different foods that are canned or wet that can be left out safely and
others that cannot be. We'll see. I guess the best is just a fresh can
and throw away the rest but that's a little expensive. I suspect
chicken may spoil less than the fish. I wonder if a cat is somewhat
resistant to some foods left out. The manufacturers all say NO-NO. One
said the tuna gets red because of bacteria after one hour but I have
not seen this with Fancy Feast. I eat food left out for many hours and
generally I can't remember any problems. In fact, the food if it ages
sometimes tastes much better, the flavors blend better and become more
distanct and tasty.

tld51371
September 16th 05, 04:15 PM
I had a similar problem. I generally only nuked it for 10 seconds but
sometimes to entice him I would put some tuna fish juice on it and it
worked like a charm.

Newbie
September 16th 05, 07:06 PM
tld51371 > wrote:

: I had a similar problem. I generally only nuked it for 10 seconds but
: sometimes to entice him I would put some tuna fish juice on it and it
: worked like a charm.

So I get it straight, does tuna fish juice work for you on all kinds of
cat food or only tuna-based? Is this juice from a can for human
consumption, or can you buy the juice separately?