PDA

View Full Version : My big fat feline brother

Candace
September 14th 05, 09:17 PM
After much chasing, we got my mom's cat, Henry, to the vet today. He
weighs 17.9 pounds. He is 35 percent over his ideal weight and is now
on Hill's r/d canned and dry. He's supposed to lose 5 pounds over the
next several months. He got his distemper and rabies shot (state law
here although not in AZ where I live).

Other than that, he is in good health except he needs to have his teeth
cleaned but my mom won't be able to take him on her own probably so he
won't get it done for several months until I come back to visit. Poor
guy will really hate me if he has to go to the vet every time I show
up.

Well, I feel better now that he's had a checkup and has a diet plan. I
figure if he loses 3 or 4 pounds that would be pretty good. I'm sure
my mom will let him cheat sometimes on his diet but it will be nice if
he loses some of that weight. Then she could probably take him to the
vet herself if he wasn't so huge and unwieldy in his carrier. I
actually thought he would weigh about 20 pounds.

Candace

Topaz
September 14th 05, 09:35 PM
"Candace" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After much chasing, we got my mom's cat, Henry, to the vet today. He
> weighs 17.9 pounds. [...]

I really like Henry's name, Candace. :) I think it is cute to call cats by
human names like that.

> Well, I feel better now that he's had a checkup and has a diet plan. I
> figure if he loses 3 or 4 pounds that would be pretty good. I'm sure
> my mom will let him cheat sometimes on his diet but it will be nice if
> he loses some of that weight. Then she could probably take him to the
> vet herself if he wasn't so huge and unwieldy in his carrier. I
> actually thought he would weigh about 20 pounds.

If your mom has trouble getting him to lose weight, she might try an
all-canned diet. That worked for my fatty boy Topaz. All I did was
switch him to a couple big cans a day, then down in quantity little
by little, supervised by his vet. He still has a way to go but has lost
three pounds in a year. :)

Karen
September 14th 05, 10:36 PM
Good luck! I hope Henry has more luck that Pearl. I have SUCH a hard time.
She doesn't just YOWL when she wants more food but pokes at me incessantly
and nibbles at me. She doesn't have as much as Henry to lose, but 2 or 3 lbs
would not go amiss.

"Candace" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After much chasing, we got my mom's cat, Henry, to the vet today. He
> weighs 17.9 pounds. He is 35 percent over his ideal weight and is now
> on Hill's r/d canned and dry. He's supposed to lose 5 pounds over the
> next several months. He got his distemper and rabies shot (state law
> here although not in AZ where I live).
>
> Other than that, he is in good health except he needs to have his teeth
> cleaned but my mom won't be able to take him on her own probably so he
> won't get it done for several months until I come back to visit. Poor
> guy will really hate me if he has to go to the vet every time I show
> up.
>
> Well, I feel better now that he's had a checkup and has a diet plan. I
> figure if he loses 3 or 4 pounds that would be pretty good. I'm sure
> my mom will let him cheat sometimes on his diet but it will be nice if
> he loses some of that weight. Then she could probably take him to the
> vet herself if he wasn't so huge and unwieldy in his carrier. I
> actually thought he would weigh about 20 pounds.
>
> Candace

Chuck
September 14th 05, 11:03 PM
Topaz > wrote in message ...

> "Candace" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > After much chasing, we got my mom's cat, Henry, to the vet today. He
> > weighs 17.9 pounds. [...]
>
> I really like Henry's name, Candace. :) I think it is cute to call cats by
> human names like that.
>
> > Well, I feel better now that he's had a checkup and has a diet plan. I
> > figure if he loses 3 or 4 pounds that would be pretty good. I'm sure
> > my mom will let him cheat sometimes on his diet but it will be nice if
> > he loses some of that weight. Then she could probably take him to the
> > vet herself if he wasn't so huge and unwieldy in his carrier. I
> > actually thought he would weigh about 20 pounds.
> >

> If your mom has trouble getting him to lose weight, she might try an
> all-canned diet. That worked for my fatty boy Topaz. All I did was
> switch him to a couple big cans a day, then down in quantity little
> by little, supervised by his vet. He still has a way to go but has lost
> three pounds in a year. :)

Hi Topaz,

Knowing that dry cat-food has more fat,
I have tried giving more canned, only to
give some of my pack diarrhea-- or, at least
cow-pie poops. Is something else going
on, as a reason for this?

One, Hoagie, is a mini-cat, or at least is
considerably smaller than all the rest. But
he weighs as much as the largest... gotta
get that guy to loose some weight or he'll
be paying for it when he's older.

Chuck

Candace
September 15th 05, 12:52 AM
Topaz wrote:

> I really like Henry's name, Candace. :) I think it is cute to call cats by
> human names like that.

Yes, me, too. All the cats I have had as an adult have had human
names...except Marbles who came with that name from his previous
owners. They did give him a human middle name, Lloyd, after their
son's grandfather so we still use that, too, especially when he's being
bad, which is often.

Henry also came with his name from his previous owner but I like it,
too.:)

Candace

Topaz
September 15th 05, 01:03 AM
"Chuck" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Knowing that dry cat-food has more fat,
> I have tried giving more canned, only to
> give some of my pack diarrhea-- or, at least
> cow-pie poops. Is something else going
> on, as a reason for this?

Chuck, I have had cats that got diarrhea from canned food, but
my current cat does not. I never figured out why my other cats
could not handle canned food, as they were in perfect health
other than the diarrhea. My vet could not explain or solve it,
he said to just give them "what agrees with them." Sorry
I cannot be of more help.

Chuck
September 15th 05, 01:55 AM
Topaz > wrote in message ...

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Knowing that dry cat-food has more fat,
> > I have tried giving more canned, only to
> > give some of my pack diarrhea-- or, at least
> > cow-pie poops. Is something else going
> > on, as a reason for this?
> >

> Chuck, I have had cats that got diarrhea from canned food, but
> my current cat does not. I never figured out why my other cats
> could not handle canned food, as they were in perfect health
> other than the diarrhea. My vet could not explain or solve it,
> he said to just give them "what agrees with them." Sorry
> I cannot be of more help.

Hi Topaz,

That's pretty much what I get from the vet
here as well...

I suppose as long as this does not negatively
effect the cat's health, there should be nothing
wrong in letting them have their 'treats' ;)

Thanks for the input...

Chuck

Candace
September 16th 05, 02:46 AM
Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

> I like your name, it's makes my willy stand up and take notice.

We've already established that. It's old news. Tell me something I
don't know...

Candace

Candace
September 16th 05, 07:19 PM
Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

> I had a flat tire on the way to work today.
>

> < sends roses to Candace >

Awwwww, they're red...for passion.

Candace

Candace
September 16th 05, 07:51 PM
Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

> What? No sympathy for the flat tire?

Awwwww, I'm sorry.

Candace

September 16th 05, 09:01 PM
Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

> Tis ok, I Got-R-Done
>
> < sends self address stamped envelope >
>
> Watch this...

Thanks, I love the added exposure :)

Candace

Candace
September 16th 05, 09:35 PM
Lamey- the cable guy wrote:

> I got to go for a couple days sweety, Be back on monday.

:`(

Candace

Hubert Maynard
September 16th 05, 09:47 PM
"Lamey- the cable guy" > wrote in message

> I got to go for a couple days sweety, Be back on monday.

It's usenet, not some lame ****ing ICQ channel, you Barbie-owning,
mother-****ing sad, prick of a luzer.

Fred
September 19th 05, 03:58 PM
"Candace" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Lamey- the cable guy wrote:
>
>> I got to go for a couple days sweety, Be back on monday.
>
> :`(
>
> Candace

I'm back, Hope you had a nice weekend.

SexySoxy
September 20th 05, 02:43 AM
Fred wrote:

> I'm back, Hope you had a nice weekend.

Absolutely! You?

SS

Charlie Wilkes
September 20th 05, 03:53 PM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:47:02 +0100, "Hubert Maynard"
> wrote:

>"Lamey- the cable guy" > wrote in message
>
>> I got to go for a couple days sweety, Be back on monday.
>
>It's usenet, not some lame ****ing ICQ channel, you Barbie-owning,
>mother-****ing sad, prick of a luzer.

You're just jealous because he's making good headway.

Charlie

Zach
September 20th 05, 04:57 PM
Lamey- the cable guy yammered:

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:53:24 GMT, wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:47:02 +0100, "Hubert Maynard"
> wrote:

>>>It's usenet, not some lame ****ing ICQ channel, you Barbie-owning,
>>>mother-****ing sad, prick of a luzer.
>>>
>>You're just jealous because he's making good headway.
>>
>>Charlie
>

>Ignore Hubert, He's a brit, they are kinda dull.

....and thick, and toothless, and obese, and pasty, and stupid, and
gullible, and...****, the list goes on and on EH WOT?

;)

Candace
September 21st 05, 06:13 AM
Lamey - The cable guy wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2005 18:43:09 -0700, wrote:
>
> >Fred wrote:
> >
> >> I'm back, Hope you had a nice weekend.
> >
> >Absolutely! You?
> >
> >SS
>

> It was wonderful, But I did so miss Candace.

Oh, my...

Candace

September 21st 05, 01:49 PM
Chuck wrote:
> Knowing that dry cat-food has more fat,
> I have tried giving more canned, only to
> give some of my pack diarrhea-- or, at least
> cow-pie poops. Is something else going
> on, as a reason for this?

I'm not Topaz but when this happened I suspected that
something was wrong with that particular canned food.
It was a house brand bought at Fresh Fields.

I switched to another brand and it immediately cleared up.
Maybe a bad batch of food with too high a bacteria
count or some bad bacteria.

The brand I switched to was a good premium band. I threw out
the other brand and no problems since.