PDA

View Full Version : Cat sudden freak outs?

September 15th 05, 05:29 PM
Does my kitten sees things that I don't? He has been living with us
for a week.

He would be mellow, exploring around then suddenly give a short grunt,
he will run and hide and then come out and trying to pounce around the
corners thinking something (imaginary prey?) is there, he even tried to
pounce on me while was on the bed.

Sometimes I see a reason as he was checking out my computer wiring and
then the wire moved and spooked him out, at other times there is really
no reason that I can see.

Is it normal for cats to just change mode from normal to "crazy"? Am
I doing something that frustrates him? I think maybe when I didn't
give enough play time to wear him out he might tend to have more of
these episodes.

When he does this jumpy thing, I try to completely ignore him because
he would usually run at full speed and hide if I alert him some more.
But I am afraid he might get more aggressive towards me?

Thanks in advance

Karen
September 15th 05, 05:50 PM
This normal behaviour. That is called Greeble Hunting or Kitten Crazies
(deceptive because Kitten Crazies can occur well into the senior years, just
in shorter bouts further apart.). Part of the entertainment of having a cat.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does my kitten sees things that I don't? He has been living with us
> for a week.
>
> He would be mellow, exploring around then suddenly give a short grunt,
> he will run and hide and then come out and trying to pounce around the
> corners thinking something (imaginary prey?) is there, he even tried to
> pounce on me while was on the bed.
>
> Sometimes I see a reason as he was checking out my computer wiring and
> then the wire moved and spooked him out, at other times there is really
> no reason that I can see.
>
> Is it normal for cats to just change mode from normal to "crazy"? Am
> I doing something that frustrates him? I think maybe when I didn't
> give enough play time to wear him out he might tend to have more of
> these episodes.
>
> When he does this jumpy thing, I try to completely ignore him because
> he would usually run at full speed and hide if I alert him some more.
> But I am afraid he might get more aggressive towards me?
>
> Thanks in advance

5cats

> Does my kitten sees things that I don't? He has been living with us
> for a week.
>
> He would be mellow, exploring around then suddenly give a short grunt,
> he will run and hide and then come out and trying to pounce around the
> corners thinking something (imaginary prey?) is there, he even tried to
> pounce on me while was on the bed.
>
> Sometimes I see a reason as he was checking out my computer wiring and
> then the wire moved and spooked him out, at other times there is really
> no reason that I can see.
>
> Is it normal for cats to just change mode from normal to "crazy"? Am
> I doing something that frustrates him? I think maybe when I didn't
> give enough play time to wear him out he might tend to have more of
> these episodes.
>
> When he does this jumpy thing, I try to completely ignore him because
> he would usually run at full speed and hide if I alert him some more.
> But I am afraid he might get more aggressive towards me?
>
> Thanks in advance

Yep, that's normal kitten behavior. One of mine is 10 and still
occasionally chases imaginary prey.

It sounds like you're on the right track, wear him out with interactive
toys he can chase and attack. And if he gets too rough with you a stern
"No" and refusal to play should get the message across.

Barb
September 16th 05, 04:34 PM
Cats have great imaginations and this is a game of pretend. They love to do
this.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Brian Beuchaw
> Does my kitten sees things that I don't? He has been living with us
> for a week.
>
> [snip]

That's what cats do - if they didn't, they wouldn't be cats. I did read
somewhere that cats apparently can be in a state somewhat like a
dream-state while simultaneously being wide awake, therefore they see
their "dreams" while they're sitting around doing nothing, then suddenly
they act on those "dreams", which turns into them being nutso for a few
minutes. I have no verified source for this, and it could be total
hearsay, but I just don't have time to google for it now. Sounds
plausible, though.

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

.oO rach Oo.
September 17th 05, 02:23 AM
I think it's a cat thing. My two do the same and I am yet to be able to
explain things.

Some people think they see spirits... which I would tend to agree with ...
but then there could also be a little chunk of light, a bit of dust falling
etc but all in all I think it's just play. My cats will sit and stare at a
specific corner and then stretch up and meow and try to paw at it. Then all
hell breaks loose.

Don't let it worry you... it's all about being a cat... the true hunter.

--
..oO rach Oo.

oups.com...