PDA

View Full Version : Eye problem

September 16th 05, 12:00 AM
Hi,

I visited the vet a couple days ago for URI symptoms, my kitten is now
on prescription of triple antibiotic ointment for his irritated eye
(slightly inflammed and goopy discharge) And also on clavamox oral
antibiotic for his mild fever.

Now a couple days later I see one of his eyes does not open it as fully
most of the time (he would squint that eye more), that eyeball does not
show anything alerting like redness or cloudy. Could he had scratched
his eye from play or just got some dirt in it? I was very careful to
apply the ointment 4 times a day as instructed, I am very sure he did
not get poked during the applications.

I am sure a vet visit will be recommended if this continues or get
worse, but he is already on antibiotic ointment if he does have a
scratch. Is this common for mild eye injury like this and how long
should I be observe this or do I run to the vet right now?

Thanks

cybercat
September 16th 05, 12:30 AM
> wrote :
>
> I am sure a vet visit will be recommended if this continues or get
> worse, but he is already on antibiotic ointment if he does have a
> scratch. Is this common for mild eye injury like this and how long
> should I be observe this or do I run to the vet right now?

I think if it were my cat I would go for a follow-up to the vet,
esp. since it is his eye. Good luck.

Charlie Wilkes
September 16th 05, 02:16 AM
On 15 Sep 2005 16:00:12 -0700, wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I visited the vet a couple days ago for URI symptoms, my kitten is now
>on prescription of triple antibiotic ointment for his irritated eye
>(slightly inflammed and goopy discharge) And also on clavamox oral
>antibiotic for his mild fever.
>
>Now a couple days later I see one of his eyes does not open it as fully
>most of the time (he would squint that eye more), that eyeball does not
>show anything alerting like redness or cloudy. Could he had scratched
>his eye from play or just got some dirt in it? I was very careful to
>apply the ointment 4 times a day as instructed, I am very sure he did
>not get poked during the applications.
>
>I am sure a vet visit will be recommended if this continues or get
>worse, but he is already on antibiotic ointment if he does have a
>scratch. Is this common for mild eye injury like this and how long
>should I be observe this or do I run to the vet right now?
>
>Thanks

He might have a grass seed or something similar in his eye. Get him
to the vet. Those things can really burrow into the eye... I had this
happen to a dog once.

Charlie

Wendy
September 16th 05, 01:42 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I visited the vet a couple days ago for URI symptoms, my kitten is now
> on prescription of triple antibiotic ointment for his irritated eye
> (slightly inflammed and goopy discharge) And also on clavamox oral
> antibiotic for his mild fever.
>
> Now a couple days later I see one of his eyes does not open it as fully
> most of the time (he would squint that eye more), that eyeball does not
> show anything alerting like redness or cloudy. Could he had scratched
> his eye from play or just got some dirt in it? I was very careful to
> apply the ointment 4 times a day as instructed, I am very sure he did
> not get poked during the applications.
>
> I am sure a vet visit will be recommended if this continues or get
> worse, but he is already on antibiotic ointment if he does have a
> scratch. Is this common for mild eye injury like this and how long
> should I be observe this or do I run to the vet right now?
>
> Thanks

I'd get him rechecked by the vet. There is a possibility that your cat isn't
reacting well to that particular eye ointment. If that's the case the vet
can give you a different ointment that he might tolerate better.