PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Cat!!!

meee
September 16th 05, 07:21 AM
She is going to hate me for this....our cat is having a farting problem.
Really bad!!! you'll be sitting there, and all of a sudden......Phew!!! She
refuses to eat any other food but Whiskas- bear in mind that I've never seen
many of the foods you talk about in US, Uk etc. Would it be better to try
and change the flavour, or should I totally change brands??? She won't eat
Friskies, but I haven't tried her on anything else. We have Fancy Feast,
Purina, and several brands similar to Whiskas. I know purina and fancy feast
are better for cats, but our budget doesn't quite stretch that far as yet.
Any ideas? is it possible for me to cook healthier food for her? I don't
mind cooking for her if that would improve the, um, odour!!

jmc
September 16th 05, 08:10 AM
Suddenly, without warning, meee exclaimed (16-Sep-05 7:21 AM):
> She is going to hate me for this....our cat is having a farting problem.
> Really bad!!! you'll be sitting there, and all of a sudden......Phew!!! She
> refuses to eat any other food but Whiskas- bear in mind that I've never seen
> many of the foods you talk about in US, Uk etc. Would it be better to try
> and change the flavour, or should I totally change brands??? She won't eat
> Friskies, but I haven't tried her on anything else. We have Fancy Feast,
> Purina, and several brands similar to Whiskas. I know purina and fancy feast
> are better for cats, but our budget doesn't quite stretch that far as yet.
> Any ideas? is it possible for me to cook healthier food for her? I don't
> mind cooking for her if that would improve the, um, odour!!

Is she young, eating kitten food? When Meep got... aromatic... at
around 9 months, my vet said it was time to switch her to adult food.

If your cat's food hasn't changed recently and she's older, I' consider
talking to the vet, since any change could mean something. I don't know
the composition of Whiskas (my cat insists it is *not* food), but if
it's high carb, that could be causing her problem. Don't know where you
are, but if you can afford it, Iams seems to be highly available (seen
it available in multiple countries), and completely cured Meep's problem.

In the long run, I'd say it's worth stretching and getting the better
food - "you are what you eat" is true for cats as well as people, and
feeding cheaper food might predispose her to problems in the future.
Not to start a flamewar though, 'cause some disagree with this. My
first cat was healthy as an ox, and ate only 'grocery store' brands. I
still think that cats, like humans (such as myself), as they get older,
can be victims of bad diet when younger.

And, at least in the short run, it might be worth it just to clear the
air in your house :)

jmc

meee
September 16th 05, 09:57 AM
jmc > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, meee exclaimed (16-Sep-05 7:21 AM):
> > She is going to hate me for this....our cat is having a farting problem.
> > Really bad!!! you'll be sitting there, and all of a sudden......Phew!!!
She
> > refuses to eat any other food but Whiskas- bear in mind that I've never
seen
> > many of the foods you talk about in US, Uk etc. Would it be better to
try
> > and change the flavour, or should I totally change brands??? She won't
eat
> > Friskies, but I haven't tried her on anything else. We have Fancy Feast,
> > Purina, and several brands similar to Whiskas. I know purina and fancy
feast
> > are better for cats, but our budget doesn't quite stretch that far as
yet.
> > Any ideas? is it possible for me to cook healthier food for her? I don't
> > mind cooking for her if that would improve the, um, odour!!
> >

> Is she young, eating kitten food? When Meep got... aromatic... at
> around 9 months, my vet said it was time to switch her to adult food.
>
> If your cat's food hasn't changed recently and she's older, I' consider
> talking to the vet, since any change could mean something. I don't know
> the composition of Whiskas (my cat insists it is *not* food), but if
> it's high carb, that could be causing her problem. Don't know where you
> are, but if you can afford it, Iams seems to be highly available (seen
> it available in multiple countries), and completely cured Meep's problem.
>
> In the long run, I'd say it's worth stretching and getting the better
> food - "you are what you eat" is true for cats as well as people, and
> feeding cheaper food might predispose her to problems in the future.
> Not to start a flamewar though, 'cause some disagree with this. My
> first cat was healthy as an ox, and ate only 'grocery store' brands. I
> still think that cats, like humans (such as myself), as they get older,
> can be victims of bad diet when younger.
>
> And, at least in the short run, it might be worth it just to clear the
> air in your house :)
>
> jmc
I am not sure how old she is as she is an ex-stray, but as she's quite
slender and young looking, I'd say1 1/2 to 2 yrs at most. I just *tried* to
change her food...which didn't work, and now she's back on whiskas, and i
mistakenly grabbed whiskas senior instead of her usual. she's only been back
on the whiskas for a few days, and i've fed her senior before without any
ill effects. These are the ingredients on the senior pack I'm giving her
now. if any of you cat food experts want to have a look, it would be great
if you could tell me how unhealthy/healthy it is. I'm in Australia, and the
catfood price range goes something like this: supermarket brands, tom kitty
(i think), friskies, whiskas, fancy feast etc, purina being about top of the
expense list. thanks for the help.
whiskas senior ingredients: wholegrain cereals, poultry, beef and /or sheep
meat & meat by-products, vegetable protein, fish, animal tallow and/or
vegetable oil, salt, all essential vitamins and minerals, food colouring,
flavours, amino acids including taurine, antioxidants, preservatives, plant
extracts. how does this rate with you guys??

mlbriggs
September 16th 05, 04:17 PM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:21:37 +0000, meee wrote:

> She is going to hate me for this....our cat is having a farting problem.
> Really bad!!! you'll be sitting there, and all of a sudden......Phew!!!
> She refuses to eat any other food but Whiskas- bear in mind that I've
> never seen many of the foods you talk about in US, Uk etc. Would it be
> better to try and change the flavour, or should I totally change brands???
> She won't eat Friskies, but I haven't tried her on anything else. We have
> Fancy Feast, Purina, and several brands similar to Whiskas. I know purina
> and fancy feast are better for cats, but our budget doesn't quite stretch
> that far as yet. Any ideas? is it possible for me to cook healthier food
> for her? I don't mind cooking for her if that would improve the, um,

Old saying: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained". MLB

jmc
September 16th 05, 10:55 PM
Suddenly, without warning, meee exclaimed (16-Sep-05 9:57 AM):
> [...]
> on the whiskas for a few days, and i've fed her senior before without any
> ill effects. These are the ingredients on the senior pack I'm giving her
> now. if any of you cat food experts want to have a look, it would be great
> if you could tell me how unhealthy/healthy it is. I'm in Australia, and the
> catfood price range goes something like this: supermarket brands, tom kitty
> (i think), friskies, whiskas, fancy feast etc, purina being about top of the
> expense list. thanks for the help.
> whiskas senior ingredients: wholegrain cereals, poultry, beef and /or sheep
> meat & meat by-products, vegetable protein, fish, animal tallow and/or
> vegetable oil, salt, all essential vitamins and minerals, food colouring,
> flavours, amino acids including taurine, antioxidants, preservatives, plant
> extracts. how does this rate with you guys??

Cereals as the first ingredient is probably why she's gassy. Try to
find something with meat (by-products are ok, if you can't afford the
real premium stuff) as the first ingredient. Yes, you'll pay more.
Yes, you'll have to experiment. I've also got a fussy cat and I've lost
track of the food I've given away or thrown away 'cause she won't eat it.

I think TomCat is probably very similar to Felix in the UK or ....
augh, another cat-named food that escapes me for the moment in the US.
It sounds like you're only feeding her canned. You might try feeding
her a quality dry food as well, for her teeth, and because you might
find something higher quality that she'll enjoy.

I know you don't think you have the $$ to pay for better food, but you
really need to try. She might even prefer one with a high meat content
- perhaps try something tuna. My cat rarely turns down anything with
tuna. You might also talk to your vet - might have free samples of
whatever food they have on offer. If you have some good quality pet
stores in the area, you might ask for free samples there too - lots of
the premium foods do offer them.

Good luck. I know how difficult it can be. My cat, Meep, would only
eat dry Iams Ocean Fish for most of her life. Then, suddenly about 1.5
years ago, she wouldn't eat it any more. I had to search around for
something else palatable. Fortunately, as far as dry foods go, she's
much more willing now that she's older to accept other brands.

Not so with the canned/wet foods though. The search goes on. I'm stuck
mostly with Felix bags presently, which is grocery-store brand as well.
My vet calls it 'junk food'. I can get her to eat some of the Iams
canned, but not consistently.

jmc

meee
September 18th 05, 08:51 AM

> Cereals as the first ingredient is probably why she's gassy. Try to
> find something with meat (by-products are ok, if you can't afford the
> real premium stuff) as the first ingredient. Yes, you'll pay more.
> Yes, you'll have to experiment. I've also got a fussy cat and I've lost
> track of the food I've given away or thrown away 'cause she won't eat it.
>
> I think TomCat is probably very similar to Felix in the UK or ....
> augh, another cat-named food that escapes me for the moment in the US.
> It sounds like you're only feeding her canned. You might try feeding
> her a quality dry food as well, for her teeth, and because you might
> find something higher quality that she'll enjoy.
>
> I know you don't think you have the $$ to pay for better food, but you
> really need to try. She might even prefer one with a high meat content
> - perhaps try something tuna. My cat rarely turns down anything with
> tuna. You might also talk to your vet - might have free samples of
> whatever food they have on offer. If you have some good quality pet
> stores in the area, you might ask for free samples there too - lots of
> the premium foods do offer them.
>
> Good luck. I know how difficult it can be. My cat, Meep, would only
> eat dry Iams Ocean Fish for most of her life. Then, suddenly about 1.5
> years ago, she wouldn't eat it any more. I had to search around for
> something else palatable. Fortunately, as far as dry foods go, she's
> much more willing now that she's older to accept other brands.
>
> Not so with the canned/wet foods though. The search goes on. I'm stuck
> mostly with Felix bags presently, which is grocery-store brand as well.
> My vet calls it 'junk food'. I can get her to eat some of the Iams
> canned, but not consistently.
>
> jmc

She only eats the whiskas dried food. I give her only dried, with plenty of
water, and occasionally lactose free milk. the average analysis on the box
is 29% protein 10.5 % fat 5 % fibre and 2% salt (jas heard me pick up the
box and came running!!!) i have ordered a bulk pack of cat food i've been
paying off, it has a mix of different whiskas varieties, tinned, dry and
premium whiskas, and also mycat and fancy feast dry, tinned and premium.
That should arrive in october/november, so i'll experiment on her then. i've
found a job & my hubby's starting a traineeship so hopefully we'll have a
fw more $$$ and i can spoil her a bit!!(now she's sitting on my lap as i
type...let's hope she doesn't let one off!)