PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Siblings

tld51371
September 16th 05, 04:13 PM
I just adopted 2 male kitten brothers who are about 3 months old. One
is more independent than the other and we want to try and teach the
other one how to be more comfortable and less skitish when his brother
is not around. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Rhonda
September 23rd 05, 05:46 AM
I think it will just take time. Pay lots of attention to the skittish
one, make sure he knows that you're the ones giving him food and treats,
etc. Play with him with the fishing pole-type toys.

He will come around, but maybe not as much as the other one. Over the
years I've decided to do my best, but let cats have their own
personalities. They're all so different.

Have fun,

Rhonda

tld51371 wrote:

> I just adopted 2 male kitten brothers who are about 3 months old. One
> is more independent than the other and we want to try and teach the
> other one how to be more comfortable and less skitish when his brother
> is not around. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

September 23rd 05, 07:10 AM
With a skittish kitten, you want to very strictly reward when he holds
his position or approaches you. Find something he likes (a game or a
treat) and try to concentrate on giving it to him right after he does
something good. (A hearty "good boy" doesn't hurt either, but the treat
will make the praise tangible). It's also important with a kitten of
that age to get him used to handling, so pick him up alot, talk to him
gently and massage his forehead until he stops squiggling and then
reward him generously if he sits still in your arms for a minute. He
may never be as outgoing as his brother, but he should make measurable
progress between now and 6 months if you work with him consistently.

Have fun!