PDA

View Full Version : ok to use just dry cat food?

September 16th 05, 10:46 PM
we got Moe & Rudy from the Spca, they were always feed dry food, we
kept it up, they used Wal-mart brand, is that type ok?

I have always had cats since adulthood, but used a combo of dry and
canned, 1/2 can in am & pm, dry all day

they're 2 males,9 months old, neutered, housebound....I get them brand
name dry for for house bound cats

lynn...so gald you're all here to help, thanks so much

The only interesting answers are those that destroy the questions.
~Susan Sontag

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> we got Moe & Rudy from the Spca, they were always feed dry food, we
> kept it up, they used Wal-mart brand, is that type ok?

No, read the ingredients it is really terrible. If you have to buy cheap
dry at least get Purina One.

> I have always had cats since adulthood, but used a combo of dry and
> canned, 1/2 can in am & pm, dry all day

What kind of canned do you use? I was told that as long as
there is real meat (beef, chicken, salmon) and not "meat byproducts"
as the first ingredient it is fine. Someone here said Fancy Feast is
that way now and one of the cheaper good canned foods.

sfmary
September 16th 05, 11:51 PM
Please use quality dry food, it will save you money and your cats
health in the long run. I give my cats Wellness Super5 Mix for their
dry food. They get a raw diet for the "wet" food. Wellness does not
have by-products such as hooves, beaks, hair, feathers. Just human
grade ingredients. The cat's feces do not reek as they do with
commercial brands. Even the so-called premium brands such as Science
Diet have a lot of by-products and fillers.

You can buy Wellness on the internet if it is not sold in your area. It
is made by Mother Hubbard (yes, that is the real name).

Mary and the SF Kitties

---MIKE---
September 17th 05, 12:21 AM
With neutered males you are asking for trouble if you feed them dry
food. They will probably develop urinary crystals. Better to feed a
good quality canned food like Wellness. And by the way, Fancy Feast is
NOT cheap - it costs about as much as Wellness.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

September 17th 05, 03:44 AM
ok I must have posted wrong....I use only brand name dry cat food and
always the type that says its for indoor cats.....SPCA did warn us abt
urinary crystals, said in around year to get food marked for that, they
now have brand name dry cat food for that...menaing when they are abt 2
yrs old to start the food for urinary crystals, since they are 9 months
old now

thanks all

lynn

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
~Oscar Wilde

cybercat
September 17th 05, 04:38 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> ok I must have posted wrong....I use only brand name dry cat food and
> always the type that says its for indoor cats.....

"Brand name" meaning what? As for the type of food for indoor cats,
that is a marketing hype. The most important thing is quality protein from
animal sources. Meat--or fish or chicken--and not "byproducts"--as the
first ingredient.

>SPCA did warn us abt
> urinary crystals, said in around year to get food marked for that, they
> now have brand name dry cat food for that...menaing when they are abt 2
> yrs old to start the food for urinary crystals, since they are 9 months
> old now

Canned is better for cats. More water means less urinary tract problems.
You kitties are lucky that you are so concerned about getting them good
food. I think you will find that if you feed them quality canned ( a "brand
name"
that has as a first ingredient real meat/fish/chicken--NOT byproductss--you
will find that you have friskier cats with shinier coats and better overall
health.

September 17th 05, 05:10 AM
Brand names meaning Dad's, vet recommennned use;y Purina...vet told to
check for thst seal approval thinngie and the cat food was ok

Newbie
September 17th 05, 07:12 AM
"> wrote:

: we got Moe & Rudy from the Spca, they were always feed dry food, we
: kept it up, they used Wal-mart brand, is that type ok?

1. Ideally I 'd recommend 100% canned food but if your cats are used to
dry, they may or may not eat canned right away. All cats are different,
you'll just have to find out.

The least expensive decent canned food is Friskies. If budget is not a
big issue, try Fancy Feast, Pro Plan, Nutro, IAMS, Science Diet, etc.

Don't buy a big case of anything. Cats are picky and may refuse to eat
even the best food you buy for them! Start gradually.

2. Walmart brand is not good. Dry food is cheaper than canned to begin
with, don't hesitate to go premium. Try Nutro, Sceince Diet, IAMS,
Eukanuba. If you have no store like Petsmart near you, Purina One is
available everywhre. Buy the smallest bag at first, till you are sure
they'd eat it.

If they won't eat new foods, you may have to change them slowly.
Continue 75% Walmart dry +25% new food for a while (1-2 weeks), then,
50-50, then 25-75, etc.

cybercat
September 17th 05, 08:49 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Brand names meaning Dad's, vet recommennned use;y Purina...vet told to
> check for thst seal approval thinngie and the cat food was ok

Your level of interest suggests to me that you might want to
do your own research. Do some reading.

5cats

> Brand names meaning Dad's, vet recommennned use;y Purina...vet told to
> check for thst seal approval thinngie and the cat food was ok

Yes, the AAFCO seal is the minimum quality you should accept. Even among
foods with the seal, some are better than others. You'll usually find the
best brands in pet food stores, not in grocery stores or walmart.

I think it's important also to feed a variety of foods, especially when
they're young, so the cats don't become overly finicky. I have 4 cats
who'll eat almost anything, they were fed a variety of canned and dry
when younger. But I goofed with the youngest and he only got SD dry when
he was a kitten, now he doesn't want to eat any canned food at all.

---MIKE---
September 17th 05, 03:49 PM
>>...vet told to check for that seal
>> approval thinngie and the cat food was
>>ok.

Many vets are notoriously uninformed when it comes to cat food. Some
tend to recommend Science Diet (because they sell it). Others will tell
you that all foods are ok. Do some reading and you will learn that
canned food keeps the urine more diluted than dry food - even if the cat
drinks water. Supermarket foods are usually a poor choice.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Topaz
September 17th 05, 05:51 PM
"5cats" > wrote in message

> > Brand names meaning Dad's, vet recommennned use;y Purina...vet told to
> > check for thst seal approval thinngie and the cat food was ok
> >

> Yes, the AAFCO seal is the minimum quality you should accept. Even among
> foods with the seal, some are better than others. You'll usually find the
> best brands in pet food stores, not in grocery stores or walmart.
>
> I think it's important also to feed a variety of foods, especially when
> they're young, so the cats don't become overly finicky. I have 4 cats
> who'll eat almost anything, they were fed a variety of canned and dry
> when younger. But I goofed with the youngest and he only got SD dry when
> he was a kitten, now he doesn't want to eat any canned food at all.

SD dry is an excellent food. Growing up, all our cats got this food
and stayed very healthy until ripe old ages. Of course that might
have been due in part to their genetic makeup and that we kept
them indoors.

5cats
September 17th 05, 07:03 PM
Topaz wrote:

> "5cats" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Brand names meaning Dad's, vet recommennned use;y Purina...vet told
>> > to check for thst seal approval thinngie and the cat food was ok
>> >

>> Yes, the AAFCO seal is the minimum quality you should accept. Even
>> among foods with the seal, some are better than others. You'll
>> usually find the best brands in pet food stores, not in grocery
>> stores or walmart.
>>
>> I think it's important also to feed a variety of foods, especially
>> when they're young, so the cats don't become overly finicky. I have 4
>> cats who'll eat almost anything, they were fed a variety of canned
>> and dry when younger. But I goofed with the youngest and he only got
>> SD dry when he was a kitten, now he doesn't want to eat any canned
>> food at all.
>>

> SD dry is an excellent food. Growing up, all our cats got this food
> and stayed very healthy until ripe old ages. Of course that might
> have been due in part to their genetic makeup and that we kept
> them indoors.

Yeah, he's a beautiful & healthy little guy, just too picky about food
now.

Phil P.
September 17th 05, 10:22 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> we got Moe & Rudy from the Spca, they were always feed dry food, we
> kept it up, they used Wal-mart brand, is that type ok?

No. Wal-Mart pet foods are manufactured by a generic pet food
manufacturer. The manufacturer get the contract by bidding the lowest-
which means only the cheapest and poorest quality ingredients are used.

> I have always had cats since adulthood, but used a combo of dry and
> canned, 1/2 can in am & pm, dry all day
>

> they're 2 males,9 months old, neutered, housebound....I get them brand
> name dry for for house bound cats
>
> lynn...so gald you're all here to help, thanks so much

Male cats, especially, should eat a primarily canned diet to help prevent
potentially fatal urinary tract obstructions.

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Phil

Phil

Joe Canuck
September 18th 05, 12:12 AM
wrote:

> we got Moe & Rudy from the Spca, they were always feed dry food, we
> kept it up, they used Wal-mart brand, is that type ok?

The last time I looked at Wal-Mart pet foods there was no indication of
exactly who manufactures the "food", thus no direct accountability or
place the consumer can contact directly with their questions/complaints.

Knowing how Wal-Mart works I am certain they have awarded the contract
for pet food to the company with the lowest bid. That company in turn
continually sources the raw ingredients for the "food" from the cheapest
possible sources so they can make some measure of a profit.

You can do better than Wal-Mart pet food.

> I have always had cats since adulthood, but used a combo of dry and
> canned, 1/2 can in am & pm, dry all day

That was a decent feeding plan because you were feeding canned which
provides the cats with more moisture than they get from dry.

Some cats, mine for instance, cannot eat canned. I tried for weeks with
the recommended methods to get her on canned; unfortunately, her
digestive system will not tolerate canned.

Finally one day after yet another dirty bottom and her looking up at me
with that "please help me" look I called an end to the process and put
her on a Science Diet dry formula. She has been doing quite well since.

I also provide a pet drinking fountain which she just loves and drinks a
copious volume from on a daily basis.

September 19th 05, 05:26 PM
sfmary wrote:
> Please use quality dry food, it will save you money and your cats
> health in the long run. I give my cats Wellness Super5 Mix for their
> dry food. They get a raw diet for the "wet" food. Wellness does not
> have by-products such as hooves, beaks, hair, feathers. Just human
> grade ingredients. The cat's feces do not reek as they do with
> commercial brands. Even the so-called premium brands such as Science
> Diet have a lot of by-products and fillers.
>
> You can buy Wellness on the internet if it is not sold in your area. It
> is made by Mother Hubbard (yes, that is the real name).
>
> Mary and the SF Kitties

Mary, that's not true. First of all there is no such thing as "human
grade ingredients" in pet foods. Secondly, some by-products are
actually GOOD for cats. Don't fall for the "all by-products are bad"
argument (although it sounds like you already have). What do you think
a cat eats in the wild? Birds and mice contain a lot of by-product,
you know! Thirdly, OLD (you forgot that part) Mother Hubbard does NOT
make their food. They let someone else take care of that for them.

As for Science Diet, it does NOT contain fillers and the type of
by-product that you mention above. Instead of looking at the
ingredient label (which will never tell you the QUALITY of a particular
ingredient, nor the overall nutritional quality of the food), you
should focus on the nutrient levels in a particular food and whether or
not those levels are healthy for your particular cat. The only way you
can find that information out is to call the company. Oh, and ask
Wellness why they don't use a fixed formula and why they outsource the
production of their food! While you're at it, ask them how many vets
or nutritionalists they employ and why they don't employ more?

September 19th 05, 09:16 PM
sfmary wrote:
> Please use quality dry food, it will save you money and your cats
> health in the long run. I give my cats Wellness Super5 Mix for their
> dry food. They get a raw diet for the "wet" food. Wellness does not
> have by-products such as hooves, beaks, hair, feathers. Just human
> grade ingredients. The cat's feces do not reek as they do with
> commercial brands. Even the so-called premium brands such as Science
> Diet have a lot of by-products and fillers.
>
> You can buy Wellness on the internet if it is not sold in your area. It
> is made by Mother Hubbard (yes, that is the real name).
>
> Mary and the SF Kitties

Mary, you've got a few things wrong. First, there is no such thing as
"human grade ingredients" in pet foods. That is simply a marketing
term designed to fool you to make a purchase. Secondly, by-products
are not necessarily bad and don't necessarily mean the things that you
describe. Cats eat a lot of by-product in the wild....birds and mice,
anyone? ;) Thirdly, Science Diet doesn't contain fillers. What
exactly is YOUR definition of a filler? Fourth, you forgot the OLD in
OLD mother hubbard.

An ingredient list is NOT going to tell you the quality of each
ingredient nor the levels of phosphorus, sodium, calcium, or other
nutrients in the bag. How are you supposed to know what the urinary pH
level is? There are numerous questions that need to be addressed if
one is concerned with NUTRITION, that is not answered by looking at the
label on a bag.

You should ask yourself why OMH doesn't manufacture their own food or
use a fixed formula? How many vets or nutritionalists do they employ?
Why do they use misleading terms (human grade, for example) to market
their products?

September 20th 05, 12:17 AM
I use brand name dry foods, Dad's and Purina for house bound cats, SPCA
told in a year to start using Dads cat for cyrstals, which I will

PawsForThought
September 20th 05, 02:09 AM
wrote:

> You should ask yourself why OMH doesn't manufacture their own food or
> use a fixed formula? How many vets or nutritionalists do they employ?
> Why do they use misleading terms (human grade, for example) to market
> their products?

I see you're still trying to slam the competition, LOL. How's your job
at Hill's working out?

Rhonda
September 20th 05, 04:11 AM
One way to find out what's not right with a product is to ask their
competitor. It's their business to know what they're up against and are
usually a good source of info about the other company.

I always appreciate hearing both sides and then making my own choice.

Rhonda

PawsForThought wrote:

> I see you're still trying to slam the competition, LOL. How's your job
> at Hill's working out?

---MIKE---
September 20th 05, 01:19 PM
Rhonda wrote:

>>One way to find out what's not right
>> with a product is to ask their
>> competitor. It's their business to know
>> what they're up against and are usually
>> a good source of info about the other
>> company.

This MAY be true but not the case with Gaubster. He (She?) is noted for
slamming all products except Hills (employer). There is nothing wrong
with Hills (if the cat will eat it) but there are other good cat foods
out there. Wellness is one of them.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

September 20th 05, 01:47 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
>
> >>One way to find out what's not right
> >> with a product is to ask their
> >> competitor. It's their business to know
> >> what they're up against and are usually
> >> a good source of info about the other
> >> company.
>
> This MAY be true but not the case with Gaubster. He (She?) is noted for
> slamming all products except Hills (employer). There is nothing wrong
> with Hills (if the cat will eat it) but there are other good cat foods
> out there. Wellness is one of them.

Sorry you feel that way, but I was not "slamming" anyone. I was simply
pointing out some relevant questions that one should ask about ANY cat
food brand. Too many people look at a cat food label and think that is
a good indicator of quality ingredients or nutrition; they would be
wrong. There's much more to it than that.

PawsForThought
September 20th 05, 11:14 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> One way to find out what's not right with a product is to ask their
> competitor. It's their business to know what they're up against and are
> usually a good source of info about the other company.

I would not believe what one pet food company says about another.
Afterall, it's in their best interest to not say good things about
their competitor, and to talk up their own food. That's kind of like
going to a Ford dealer and asking what he thinks of Chevy. Or maybe
you could call UPS and see what they have to say about Fedex...

Rhonda
September 21st 05, 01:03 AM
That's exactly what I mean.

I WANT to hear what Ford says about Chevy, and what UPS says about
Fedex. If they know something negative about their competitor, they will
share it! And I want to know the good and the bad.

Rhonda

PawsForThought wrote:

> That's kind of like
> going to a Ford dealer and asking what he thinks of Chevy. Or maybe
> you could call UPS and see what they have to say about Fedex...

September 21st 05, 02:47 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> That's exactly what I mean.
>
> I WANT to hear what Ford says about Chevy, and what UPS says about
> Fedex. If they know something negative about their competitor, they will
> share it! And I want to know the good and the bad.
>
> Rhonda
>
> PawsForThought wrote:
>
> > That's kind of like
> > going to a Ford dealer and asking what he thinks of Chevy. Or maybe
> > you could call UPS and see what they have to say about Fedex...

Rhonda, it sounds like you are more open-minded than others...not to
mention a critical thinker! :)

Rhonda
September 21st 05, 06:40 AM
Sometimes a bit too critical of a thinker. ;)

Rhonda

wrote:

> Rhonda, it sounds like you are more open-minded than others...not to
> mention a critical thinker! :)

-L.
September 21st 05, 07:05 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> That's exactly what I mean.
>
> I WANT to hear what Ford says about Chevy, and what UPS says about
> Fedex. If they know something negative about their competitor, they will
> share it! And I want to know the good and the bad.
>
> Rhonda

LOL...have you ever worked with PR or marketing types for a large corp?
They will inflate the most minor problem or incident of their
competitors' into something drastic, if they think it will help their
own business. On the reverse side, they will take the most minor
improvement of their own or idea and inflate it into the next best
thing since sliced bread. The best thing you can do is try products
yourself and make an informed decision that way.

I don't care what Ford says about Chevy. I have loved my Toyotas, and
will never buy anything but. ;)

-L.

PawsForThought
September 21st 05, 05:40 PM
-L. wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
> > That's exactly what I mean.
> >
> > I WANT to hear what Ford says about Chevy, and what UPS says about
> > Fedex. If they know something negative about their competitor, they will
> > share it! And I want to know the good and the bad.
> >
> > Rhonda
>
> LOL...have you ever worked with PR or marketing types for a large corp?
> They will inflate the most minor problem or incident of their
> competitors' into something drastic, if they think it will help their
> own business. On the reverse side, they will take the most minor
> improvement of their own or idea and inflate it into the next best
> thing since sliced bread. The best thing you can do is try products
> yourself and make an informed decision that way.

Exactly. Personally, I don't trust what one company says about
another. I do my own research.

> I don't care what Ford says about Chevy. I have loved my Toyotas, and
> will never buy anything but. ;)

I totally agree with you :) I've been driving Toyotas for the past 15
years and have found them to be very reliable.

LAUREN

Rhonda
September 23rd 05, 05:43 AM
-L. wrote:

> Rhonda wrote:
>
>>That's exactly what I mean.
>>
>>I WANT to hear what Ford says about Chevy, and what UPS says about
>>Fedex. If they know something negative about their competitor, they will

>>share it! And I want to know the good and the bad.
>>
>>Rhonda
>
> LOL...have you ever worked with PR or marketing types for a large corp?
> They will inflate the most minor problem or incident of their
> competitors' into something drastic, if they think it will help their
> own business. On the reverse side, they will take the most minor
> improvement of their own or idea and inflate it into the next best
> thing since sliced bread. The best thing you can do is try products
> yourself and make an informed decision that way.

Yep, the inflation will happen on both sides, but if I'm going to hear
how wonderful a product is on their website or from them directly, I
also want to hear the other side before I chose. I like to research the
expensive or important things before I try them on me, or the animals.

> I don't care what Ford says about Chevy. I have loved my Toyotas, and
> will never buy anything but. ;)

I'm a Toyota Gurl too.

Rhonda

Steve Crane
September 24th 05, 02:29 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> One way to find out what's not right with a product is to ask their
> competitor. It's their business to know what they're up against and are
> usually a good source of info about the other company.
>
> I always appreciate hearing both sides and then making my own choice.
>
> Rhonda

Very good Rhonda!! Who else will spend upwards of $3,000 to have a
single food analyzed.

Steve Crane
September 24th 05, 02:33 AM
PawsForThought wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
> > One way to find out what's not right with a product is to ask their
> > competitor. It's their business to know what they're up against and are
> > usually a good source of info about the other company.
>
> I would not believe what one pet food company says about another.
> Afterall, it's in their best interest to not say good things about
> their competitor, and to talk up their own food. That's kind of like
> going to a Ford dealer and asking what he thinks of Chevy. Or maybe
> you could call UPS and see what they have to say about Fedex...

Comenow Paws, which thing Gaubster said was UNtrue about Wellness? From
looking at his post he claimed that:
1. Wellness does not manufacture their own foods.
2. That looking at an ingredient did NOT disclose the quality of any
given ingredient.

which of those things do you think is untrue?