PDA

View Full Version : Why do our cats wake us up early in the morning?

huzi&shireen
September 17th 05, 03:24 PM
Our two cats wake us up very early in the morning....sit on us and
purrr and purrr till we throw them out or talk to them. They don't like
to see us sleep. Is that normal? How does one stop it?

Ted Davis
September 17th 05, 06:45 PM
On 17 Sep 2005 07:24:32 -0700, "huzi&shireen" >
wrote:

>Our two cats wake us up very early in the morning....sit on us and
>purrr and purrr till we throw them out or talk to them. They don't like
>to see us sleep. Is that normal? How does one stop it?

Cats are most active around dawn and dusk - people are most active
during the day. The cats are trying to put you on their schedule.
They are training you to put them out or interact with them in some
other favorable way when they want the interaction.

You can turn the tables by giving them an interaction they do not want
- something like a squirt of water from a hand sprayer bottle.

When the sequence is sit on someone, person gets up and tends to the
cat, the cat has conditioned the person, but then the sequence is cat
sits on someone and gets squirted with water, the cat is conditioned
to avoid the behavior that results in getting wet.

--
T.E.D. )

Jade Jago
September 18th 05, 03:50 AM
Yep, that seems pretty normal... I am not sure why they do it, but the
quickest fix is SHUT THE BEDROOM DOOR!!! Works for us! *lol*
Our pussa loves to sleep next to our ears, purring.... also runs round like
a maniac jumping on the bed in the middle of the night... not conducive to
sleep.
:0)
Jade.

"huzi&shireen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our two cats wake us up very early in the morning....sit on us and
> purrr and purrr till we throw them out or talk to them. They don't like
> to see us sleep. Is that normal? How does one stop it?

huzi&shireen
September 18th 05, 12:01 PM
Ted Davis wrote:
> On 17 Sep 2005 07:24:32 -0700, "huzi&shireen" >
> wrote:
>
> >Our two cats wake us up very early in the morning....sit on us and
> >purrr and purrr till we throw them out or talk to them. They don't like
> >to see us sleep. Is that normal? How does one stop it?
>
> Cats are most active around dawn and dusk - people are most active
> during the day. The cats are trying to put you on their schedule.
> They are training you to put them out or interact with them in some
> other favorable way when they want the interaction.
>
> You can turn the tables by giving them an interaction they do not want
> - something like a squirt of water from a hand sprayer bottle.
>
> When the sequence is sit on someone, person gets up and tends to the
> cat, the cat has conditioned the person, but then the sequence is cat
> sits on someone and gets squirted with water, the cat is conditioned
> to avoid the behavior that results in getting wet.
>
> --
> T.E.D. )

Ted,

Thanks!

Huzi.

huzi&shireen
September 18th 05, 04:38 PM
Jade Jago wrote:
> Yep, that seems pretty normal... I am not sure why they do it, but the
> quickest fix is SHUT THE BEDROOM DOOR!!! Works for us! *lol*
> Our pussa loves to sleep next to our ears, purring.... also runs round like
> a maniac jumping on the bed in the middle of the night... not conducive to
> sleep.
> :0)
> Jade.

Thanks Jade,

We do try that, but they create a storm outside for the first few
days...we'll have to persist.

Huzi.

Jade Jago
September 19th 05, 12:58 AM
Yes, but generally they end up creating a storm during the hours when you
are really asleep, and you just don't hear them. :0)
Keep at it, all should be routine in 2 weeks. Good luck!
PS: If you can sleep with a radio on, that may help block any cat sounds
that are happening outside, until they get into a routine. They learn quite
quickly what their new boundaries are.
:0)
Jade.

"huzi&shireen" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jade Jago wrote:
>> Yep, that seems pretty normal... I am not sure why they do it, but the
>> quickest fix is SHUT THE BEDROOM DOOR!!! Works for us! *lol*
>> Our pussa loves to sleep next to our ears, purring.... also runs round
>> like
>> a maniac jumping on the bed in the middle of the night... not conducive
>> sleep.
>> :0)
>> Jade.
>>

> Thanks Jade,
>
> We do try that, but they create a storm outside for the first few
> days...we'll have to persist.
>
> Huzi.

Jade Jago
September 19th 05, 01:13 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that if you keep the door closed all the time,
they wont kick up such a stink at night, when it is still just that closed
door. In fact they may get over it by night time.
Goodluck,
Jade.

"Jade Jago" > wrote in message
u...
> Yes, but generally they end up creating a storm during the hours when you
> are really asleep, and you just don't hear them. :0)
> Keep at it, all should be routine in 2 weeks. Good luck!
> PS: If you can sleep with a radio on, that may help block any cat sounds
> that are happening outside, until they get into a routine. They learn
> quite quickly what their new boundaries are.
> :0)
> Jade.
>

> "huzi&shireen" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Jade Jago wrote:
>>> Yep, that seems pretty normal... I am not sure why they do it, but the
>>> quickest fix is SHUT THE BEDROOM DOOR!!! Works for us! *lol*
>>> Our pussa loves to sleep next to our ears, purring.... also runs round
>>> like
>>> a maniac jumping on the bed in the middle of the night... not conducive
>>> sleep.
>>> :0)
>>> Jade.
>>>

>> Thanks Jade,
>>
>> We do try that, but they create a storm outside for the first few
>> days...we'll have to persist.
>>
>> Huzi.

Whizper
October 5th 05, 05:50 PM
All ok advice...except to add that a vigorous play session prior to
your bed time will make kitty less likely to wake up quite THAT early.
Works for some...

definetely don't reward the behaviour by actually getting up and
feeding/playing with kitty...they learn bad habits much faster than
good!

Add some cat toys outside to entertain them before you wake up, and
leave food out (if you believe in free feeding) so they don't need to
wake you for it.

Cats...love them...serve them.