PDA

View Full Version : Cat turns nose up at almost any food, then begs.

Pat O'Reilly
September 18th 05, 06:34 AM
It's not that he isn't hungry, he is. But he is dis-satisfied with
everything. Raw chicken, cooked chicken, steak, tuna, all manner of canned
food like fancy feast, 9 lives, etc.

He does like Purina ONE (dry), which is his main source of food, but he is
ALWAYS begging for something else, and no matter WHAT else I put down (see
above list) he turns his nose up.

I asked the vet and she said I should feed him raw chicken wings, bones in,
but cut the bones in 3-4 pieces first. I have given him raw chicken, and
he eats a few pieces, but never finsihes it, then comes begging for
something else. Anyway, I don't think she understood the constant nature
of my problem.

Then he looks at me jealously as I eat my dinner. If I give him a piece of
my steak, he's not interested.

WHAT's HIS PROBLEM!!? Any help appreciated.

thanks,

Pat

Newbie
September 18th 05, 07:56 AM

:
: He does like Purina ONE (dry), which is his main source of food, but he is
: ALWAYS begging for something else, and no matter WHAT else I put down (see
: above list) he turns his nose up.
:
: I asked the vet and she said I should feed him raw chicken wings, bones in,
: but cut the bones in 3-4 pieces first. I have given him raw chicken, and
: he eats a few pieces, but never finsihes it, then comes begging for
: something else. Anyway, I don't think she understood the constant nature
: of my problem.
:
: Then he looks at me jealously as I eat my dinner. If I give him a piece of
: my steak, he's not interested.
:
: WHAT's HIS PROBLEM!!? Any help appreciated.

Did he have another home before you got him? Maybe he is craving for
some specific taste he remembers. If so and if you have access to them,
ask what they used to feed him. If he came from a shelter, it should be
easy to find what he ate there.

Yet another possibility is his problem and aparent begging are not
related to food, but something different.

5cats
September 18th 05, 12:14 PM
Pat O'Reilly wrote:

> It's not that he isn't hungry, he is. But he is dis-satisfied with
> everything. Raw chicken, cooked chicken, steak, tuna, all manner of
> canned food like fancy feast, 9 lives, etc.
>
> He does like Purina ONE (dry), which is his main source of food, but
> he is ALWAYS begging for something else, and no matter WHAT else I put
> down (see above list) he turns his nose up.
>
> I asked the vet and she said I should feed him raw chicken wings,
> bones in, but cut the bones in 3-4 pieces first. I have given him raw
> chicken, and he eats a few pieces, but never finsihes it, then comes
> begging for something else. Anyway, I don't think she understood the
> constant nature of my problem.
>
> Then he looks at me jealously as I eat my dinner. If I give him a
> piece of my steak, he's not interested.
>
> WHAT's HIS PROBLEM!!? Any help appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
> Pat

Has he ever eatten canned food?

Is he losing weight?

How long has he been eating Purina One, What food did he have before?

My guess is that he's a kibble junkie and is after some type of more
flavorful dry or treat food.

Dick Peavey
September 18th 05, 05:45 PM
"Pat O'Reilly" > wrote in message
> It's not that he isn't hungry, he is. But he is dis-satisfied with
> everything. Raw chicken, cooked chicken, steak, tuna, all manner of
> canned
> food like fancy feast, 9 lives, etc.
>
> He does like Purina ONE (dry), which is his main source of food, but he is
> ALWAYS begging for something else, and no matter WHAT else I put down (see
> above list) he turns his nose up.
>
> I asked the vet and she said I should feed him raw chicken wings, bones
> in,
> but cut the bones in 3-4 pieces first. I have given him raw chicken, and
> he eats a few pieces, but never finsihes it, then comes begging for
> something else. Anyway, I don't think she understood the constant nature
> of my problem.
>
> Then he looks at me jealously as I eat my dinner. If I give him a piece
> of
> my steak, he's not interested.
>
> WHAT's HIS PROBLEM!!? Any help appreciated.

A cat's vocabulary is limited to "want". It usually means "I want" but not
always. Cats do not advance to predicates, thus there is no "what" that the
cat "wants".

Your cat is speaking to you saying "Want". It is probably "I want" but he
isn't saying what he wants. He may want nothing more than your attention, or
your attention in a peculiar way. My cat for example pretends to want food,
but actually wants me to accompany him outside where we have a petting
station to pet him and play with him.

Cats aren't into food like humans and dogs. Cats will try to please you, so
if he thinks you want him to eat, he will try, but give up after a few
half-hearted bites. This is "You want", but again, no "what". He means "You
want me to eat?"

Be patient, and eventually you may understand what he wants. If he doesn't
eat, chances are it isn't food.

Topaz
September 18th 05, 06:48 PM
"Dick Peavey" > wrote:

> > WHAT's HIS PROBLEM!!? Any help appreciated.
>
> A cat's vocabulary is limited to "want". It usually means "I want" but not
> always. Cats do not advance to predicates, thus there is no "what" that
the
> cat "wants".
>
> Your cat is speaking to you saying "Want". It is probably "I want" but he
> isn't saying what he wants. He may want nothing more than your attention,
or
> your attention in a peculiar way. My cat for example pretends to want
food,
> but actually wants me to accompany him outside where we have a petting
> station to pet him and play with him.
>
> Cats aren't into food like humans and dogs. Cats will try to please you,
so
> if he thinks you want him to eat, he will try, but give up after a few
> half-hearted bites. This is "You want", but again, no "what". He means
"You
> want me to eat?"
>
> Be patient, and eventually you may understand what he wants. If he doesn't
> eat, chances are it isn't food.

Wonderfully astute comments, Dick. Much of this has never occurred to me
but upon reflection I do think it is true. I have often marveled at how my
cat will indeed eat a few bites when put down at the dish. It does look
like an effort to please me.

Rhonda
September 18th 05, 07:46 PM
Hi Pat,

If your cat is not eating enough, yet hungry and begging for food, I
would have a full vet check.

Did the vet look in his mouth and make sure there are no tooth problems?
Any sores or red throat that could be causing the problem?

If the mouth/teeth all check out, I would have full bloodwork done and
see if something else is going on.

I would be pretty alarmed if the cat is only able to eat a few bites,
but is very hungry.

Let us know what happens,

Rhonda

Pat O'Reilly wrote:

> It's not that he isn't hungry, he is. But he is dis-satisfied with
> everything. Raw chicken, cooked chicken, steak, tuna, all manner of canned
> food like fancy feast, 9 lives, etc.

Newbie
September 18th 05, 10:32 PM
Topaz > wrote:

: > Cats aren't into food like humans and dogs. Cats will try to please
: > you, so if he thinks you want him to eat, he will try, but give up
: > after a few half-hearted bites...He means "You want me to eat?"

Interesting observations. I am still learning. The way she treats some
of my food offerings, I could swear doesn't look like she was trying to
please me. :-)

No More Retail
September 20th 05, 03:47 AM
I have a 6 year old cat that begs for a treat and turns his nose up at what
ever I put down till he gets his choice even if it means I open 6 or 7 bags.
Got to love a cat they train you well

Dick Peavey
September 20th 05, 01:46 PM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
> Topaz > wrote:
>
> : > Cats aren't into food like humans and dogs. Cats will try to please
> : > you, so if he thinks you want him to eat, he will try, but give up
> : > after a few half-hearted bites...He means "You want me to eat?"
>
> Interesting observations. I am still learning. The way she treats some
> of my food offerings, I could swear doesn't look like she was trying to
> please me. :-)

Another obvious point that is easily overlooked: Cats won't eat food unless
it's fresh. After two days in the fridge, my cat won't touch it.

meee
September 23rd 05, 10:55 AM
No More Retail > wrote in message
> I have a 6 year old cat that begs for a treat and turns his nose up at
what
> ever I put down till he gets his choice even if it means I open 6 or 7
bags.
> Got to love a cat they train you well

aside from medical problems...jasmine is the same. She will come in, totally
ignore her food bowl, look at me and meow as if she's starving. Eventually,
if I tap her bowl, she will settle down to eat *some* of it...if it's fresh
enough!!! If it's been sitting there overnight, or a few hours even, she
will sniff at it in a dissatisfied manner, and keep meowing at me. If I
ignore her, she nips my ankles. Sometimes I can get her to eat it if I pour
some fresh on, but she only eats as though she's hungry if she's been
outside all day hunting. I think it's just the 'I want' scenario posted
earlier!! And she will *only* eat whiskas!!