PDA

View Full Version : How/where to buy preimun canned food at lowest prices?


Newbie
September 18th 05, 08:00 AM
Both my cat and I are sold on canned food. Her tastes are also very
refined, she especially prefers Pro Plan and Fancy Feast. Problem, is
these ar equite expensive, day in day out.

Any strategies on where or how I can get best prices on them? I would
love to average 25 c/can, otherwise whatever is possible. I am willing
to clip coupons, buy bulk, buy mail order, whatever works...

Phil P.
September 18th 05, 10:53 AM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
...
> Both my cat and I are sold on canned food. Her tastes are also very
> refined, she especially prefers Pro Plan and Fancy Feast. Problem, is
> these ar equite expensive, day in day out.
>
> Any strategies on where or how I can get best prices on them? I would
> love to average 25 c/can, otherwise whatever is possible. I am willing
> to clip coupons, buy bulk, buy mail order, whatever works...

When you find a place that sells Fancy Feast for .25 a can- let me know!

Phil

No More Retail
September 18th 05, 01:14 PM
Fancy feast is at Bj's wholesale club for case of 12 for about .32 a can

MaryL
September 18th 05, 01:36 PM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
...
> Both my cat and I are sold on canned food. Her tastes are also very
> refined, she especially prefers Pro Plan and Fancy Feast. Problem, is
> these ar equite expensive, day in day out.
>
> Any strategies on where or how I can get best prices on them? I would
> love to average 25 c/can, otherwise whatever is possible. I am willing
> to clip coupons, buy bulk, buy mail order, whatever works...

I don't buy those varieties. However, I know that Sam's Club carries cans
of Fancy Feast in bulk.

MaryL

Joe Canuck
September 18th 05, 01:44 PM
No More Retail wrote:

> Fancy feast is at Bj's wholesale club for case of 12 for about .32 a can
>
>

But that isn't .25 cents/can! :)

No More Retail
September 18th 05, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you got a spoiled kitty also owner to get cans food that cheap
you would have to get 9 lives 4 pack at Wal-Mart for .84 also special
kitty .78 for a 4 pack Publix here in Florida has their own brand 3 for
..79 Sheba is .39 a piece Publix also has their own small can 10 for 3.00
that is equal to fancy feast

Whiskas packets are about .30 a piece I have to change brands every so
often for my firballs start to snub the same brand every day. Unless you
want to use the name brand try the other stuff you will be surprised at the
results if the firball snubs it mix it with the other food and see what
happens. You can easily break the spoiledness if that is the only food they
are getting they might snub it but when they are hungry they will eat it

shortfuse
September 18th 05, 01:56 PM
I find the "cheap" brands dont work for my kids. No sense buying it when
they walk away or try to bury it. Not even the strays I feed wont touch it.

--


"No More Retail" > wrote in message
...
> Sounds like you got a spoiled kitty also owner to get cans food that
> cheap you would have to get 9 lives 4 pack at Wal-Mart for .84 also
> special kitty .78 for a 4 pack Publix here in Florida has their own
> brand 3 for .79 Sheba is .39 a piece Publix also has their own small can
> 10 for 3.00 that is equal to fancy feast
>
> Whiskas packets are about .30 a piece I have to change brands every so
> often for my firballs start to snub the same brand every day. Unless you
> want to use the name brand try the other stuff you will be surprised at
> the results if the firball snubs it mix it with the other food and see
> what happens. You can easily break the spoiledness if that is the only
> food they are getting they might snub it but when they are hungry they
> will eat it
>

No More Retail
September 18th 05, 02:05 PM
Well I wholesale resell for a living here are my some of my results

http://www.dollaritem.com/Pets-Cat-Food.html
http://www.dollardays.com/n-61_13_4294967120/wholesale-cat-food-toys-and-treats.html
http://www.allcats.info/supplies/cannedcatfood/

shortfuse
September 18th 05, 02:11 PM
I dont buy the store brand names...9 Lives, Whiskas, Friskies are the top 3.
Fancy Feast is fine but the cans are small for my brood.

--



"No More Retail" > wrote in message
...
> Well I wholesale resell for a living here are my some of my results
>
> http://www.dollaritem.com/Pets-Cat-Food.html
> http://www.dollardays.com/n-61_13_4294967120/wholesale-cat-food-toys-and-treats.html
> http://www.allcats.info/supplies/cannedcatfood/
>
>

5cats
September 18th 05, 02:43 PM
shortfuse wrote:

> I dont buy the store brand names...9 Lives, Whiskas, Friskies are the
> top 3. Fancy Feast is fine but the cans are small for my brood.
>

When Petsmart has sales they have Friskies cans at pretty good prices.

Elizabeth Blake
September 18th 05, 06:16 PM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
...
> Both my cat and I are sold on canned food. Her tastes are also very
> refined, she especially prefers Pro Plan and Fancy Feast. Problem, is
> these ar equite expensive, day in day out.
>
> Any strategies on where or how I can get best prices on them? I would
> love to average 25 c/can, otherwise whatever is possible. I am willing
> to clip coupons, buy bulk, buy mail order, whatever works...

You can check out www.petfooddirect.com . I've ordered Wellness, Petguard &
Science Diet from them a bunch of times. I just looked and their regular
price for a case of 24 Fancy Feast is $13.99, for all flavors. Pro Plan is
$15.49 for a case of 24 cans. There's always a button to click for a 5%
discount, and once you order from them they send e-mail coupon codes all the
time. I usually get at least 2 e-mails a week. I wait until I get a code
for 20% - 25% off and then stock up. Most coupon codes that I get are for
13% off. You do have to pay for shipping, though. They're located in
Pennsylvania so shipping cost & time depends on where you live. I'm in NYC
so I'm in the same UPS zone and my orders arrive the day after they're
shipped. When I get a 22% or the rare 25% coupon it's definitely worth it.
Since I'm in a different state, there's also no sales tax. My shipping
charge is usually around $8.99 for several cases.

I have an e-mail from them with a 20% coupon code right now (PET3249) that
expires at midnight tonight. You have to check the offers carefully as some
of them can't be used for food & litter. This 20% code is good for
everything except free shipping items & gift certificates.

--
Liz

mlbriggs
September 18th 05, 06:32 PM
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:00:58 +0000, Newbie wrote:

> Both my cat and I are sold on canned food. Her tastes are also very
> refined, she especially prefers Pro Plan and Fancy Feast. Problem, is
> these ar equite expensive, day in day out.
>
> Any strategies on where or how I can get best prices on them? I would love
> to average 25 c/can, otherwise whatever is possible. I am willing to clip
> coupons, buy bulk, buy mail order, whatever works...


This is just a thought ---My personal experience with canned food has been
whenever I stocked up on something, the cat quit eating it. My garbage
disposer was always well fed. MLB

---MIKE---
September 18th 05, 06:41 PM
Premium foods like Wellness, Innova, and Nutro guarantee their product.
The store will take back unopened cans and refund your money if your cat
won't eat the product. I had to return several cases of Nutro when they
changed their formula and Amber refused to eat it.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Topaz
September 18th 05, 06:55 PM
"Phil P." > wrote >
> When you find a place that sells Fancy Feast for .25 a can- let me know!
>

Really. Lowest I have ever found was .41 at Walmart and the selection
sucked.

Topaz
September 18th 05, 07:00 PM
"No More Retail" > wrote in message
...
> Well I wholesale resell for a living here are my some of my results
>
> http://www.dollaritem.com/Pets-Cat-Food.html

At the link above the price on 5.5 oz cans of Nine Lives was just .32--very
good. But I wonder about the nutrition in the others, and in fact have never
seen the breakdown for 9 lives. Anyone?

Topaz
September 18th 05, 07:04 PM
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote >
> You can check out www.petfooddirect.com .

What a GREAT site! When you click on "details" it gives you the ingredients.
Wonderful just for research. Thanks, Elizabeth.

Newbie
September 18th 05, 09:11 PM
Phil P. > wrote:

: When you find a place that sells Fancy Feast for .25 a can- let
: me know!

At least that's the goal. :-) American marketing is a strange thing. I
just stocked up on Pro Plan at the average of less than 27 c/can: their
regular price at Petsmart is 59c. Right now there is a sale for 40c. I
was able to get "buy 2 get 1 free" coupons, bringing the price to 80/3
cents per can.

Newbie
September 18th 05, 09:14 PM
5cats > wrote:

: When Petsmart has sales they have Friskies cans at pretty good prices.

Petsmart's reg price for friskies is 32c for 5.5 oz can, not bad
really. On sales it would only drop by penny or two. It is with the
likes of FF and ProPlan that I look for breaks.

Newbie
September 18th 05, 09:19 PM
Brandy**Alexandre > wrote:


: I would love to pay 25 cents a can again :::sigh::: I get our Science
: Diet at PetsMart and I always wait for a sale. Petco's usual price
: around here is 82 cents, while PetsMart is 69 cents. The sale price is
: usually around 50 cents and I stock up.

Just to clarify, I mentioned 25c as my dream target for smaller 3 oz
cans. For 5.5-6 oz cans, 50c is quite good and come to approximately
the same value.

: One thing you can try is signing up with ShopLocal.com to send you a
: sale alert on those items. I have a bunch of things in my alerts and
: it can be darn handy.

Will look into it. Fornow I was able to get some buy2get1free coupons
for ProPlan which combined with a sale, brought the price down to 80c
for 3 small cans. Not bad.

Newbie
September 18th 05, 09:23 PM
Elizabeth Blake > wrote:

: You can check out www.petfooddirect.com . I've ordered Wellness, Petguard &
: Science Diet from them a bunch of times. I just looked and their regular
: price for a case of 24 Fancy Feast is $13.99, for all flavors.

These prices don't look too good. At Petsmart, Target, etc. a case of
24 FF cans is routinely sold for $10-$11. May be a buck or two chaper
during sales.

: Pro Plan is $15.49 for a case of 24 cans.

That is 65c/can. Petmart's regular price is 59. Sale 40. With
buy2get1free coupons, I just averaged 27.

Judy
September 18th 05, 09:27 PM
"Topaz" > wrote in message
...
>
> "No More Retail" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Well I wholesale resell for a living here are my some of my results
>>
>> http://www.dollaritem.com/Pets-Cat-Food.html
>
> At the link above the price on 5.5 oz cans of Nine Lives was just
> .32--very
> good. But I wonder about the nutrition in the others, and in fact have
> never
> seen the breakdown for 9 lives. Anyone?

http://www.9lives.com/canned.aspx

Click on the cans to see the breakdowns.

Newbie
September 18th 05, 09:27 PM
mlbriggs > wrote:

: This is just a thought ---My personal experience with canned food has been
: whenever I stocked up on something, the cat quit eating it. My garbage
: disposer was always well fed. MLB

Yes that is a concern. However, my philosophy is not to argue with her.
Sometimes she has felt differently a few weeks later. That's what
happened to me with some pouches I had bought on sale. She loved them
at first, got bored, so I withdrew them completely, and then she was
quite happy to eat them again after about a month.

Newbie
September 18th 05, 09:44 PM
oe Canuck > wrote:

: > Fancy feast is at Bj's wholesale club for case of 12 for about .32 a can
: But that isn't .25 cents/can! :)

You may find it funny, but there is no logic to prices in the US
market. Scan different stores and different times, price swings can be
immense. If you don't look, you don;t get. I won't repeat my own lucky
story of how I just got ProPlan cans (59c regular at Petsmart) for less
than 27c.

For FF, 32 c as regular price is very good. I won't be surprised if
some promotion or sale can bring it down to 25. :-)

Newbie
September 18th 05, 09:47 PM
No More Retail > wrote:

: Also special kitty .78 for a 4 pack..

I have seen those, haven't heard anything about the quality. Are they
good? Lets say at least as good as Friskies?

No More Retail
September 18th 05, 09:52 PM
Since when has there been logic in the American market go to Wal-Mart the
item is $10 go to the mall is it $50

No More Retail
September 18th 05, 09:54 PM
Special kitty is Wal-Mart brand no bad smell like the cheap stuff good
variety the firballs eat it up when I put it down
I can only guess the taste I have to keep changing brands every couple of
weeks to give them a variety if I serve to much the snub the food

cardkitty
September 19th 05, 06:05 PM
Brandy,

Thanks for the "ShopLocal.com" tip! Looks like a neat tool. I wish
more stores would participate!

Kathryn

-----------------------------------------
Who is this Kathryn?
http://www.CardsYourWay.US/About_me.html

5cats
September 30th 05, 05:59 PM
5cats wrote:

> shortfuse wrote:
>
>> I dont buy the store brand names...9 Lives, Whiskas, Friskies are the
>> top 3. Fancy Feast is fine but the cans are small for my brood.
>>
>
> When Petsmart has sales they have Friskies cans at pretty good prices.
>

As of yesterday, Petsmart here had Friskies for 25 cents a can with
petperks card.

Yeah, I know it's not premium food, but still, I think some people might
be interested.

Steve Crane
October 1st 05, 02:05 AM
Judy wrote:
> "Topaz" > wrote in message
> ...
> > good. But I wonder about the nutrition in the others, and in fact have
> > never
> > seen the breakdown for 9 lives. Anyone?
>
> http://www.9lives.com/canned.aspx
>
> Click on the cans to see the breakdowns.

Unfortunaely the values given are "guaranteed analysis" which is pretty
much worthless. GA's are just minimum and maximum values. Protein MIN
35% - coul dbe 35% could be 50% - you have no way of knowing. If the
company at least provided actual analysis as an "As Fed" value it would
be more useful. The only info they're giving is the basic minimum
nutrients required by law, nothing of much value like calcium,
phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, antioxidants vitamins etc.