PDA

View Full Version : Sibling rivalry

John Hinson
September 19th 05, 11:03 AM
Hello,

My wife and I adopted two female litter-mates from the shelter in
January; born October seventh last year; spayed before we took them
home; calico and grey tiger-striped mix.

Coie has a little more of the calico coloring on her face and Callie
has more of the grey tiger-striping on hers.

I've seen mention of "chirupping" or chirping; Coie is the only one
that does it and it seems to do it when she's playing with a ball or
toy that she bats around or when she is looking for Callie. I would
define it as more of a vocalized purring. I've heard no other
vocalizations, including meowing, from either one. It's been over 40
years since I last had a cat and can't remember if not meowing is
normal or just something that develops later?

Callie is the tomboy and Coie is more the shy type.

My wife is concerned that Callie picks on Coie, Although it doesn't
seem to me to be anything more than your usual sibling roughhousing,
over quickly with a little bit of wrestling with no damage inflicted
and nothing torn.

Generally, Coie starts the play and it escalates. I tell Coie not to
start what she can't finish.

1. Is this behavior 'normal', or do I need to worry?

Secondly, we have been feeding them IAMS and Purina One kitten dry
food; they seem to prefer the Purina One. We've tried moist food
several times, some packets and some canned (Whiskas and Friskies, no
store brands), but they don't seem interested in it and sometimes
throw it up.

2. Possibly their systems aren't ready for it yet?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

5cats
September 19th 05, 02:21 PM
John Hinson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My wife and I adopted two female litter-mates from the shelter in
> January; born October seventh last year; spayed before we took them
> home; calico and grey tiger-striped mix.
>
> Coie has a little more of the calico coloring on her face and Callie
> has more of the grey tiger-striping on hers.
>
> I've seen mention of "chirupping" or chirping; Coie is the only one
> that does it and it seems to do it when she's playing with a ball or
> toy that she bats around or when she is looking for Callie. I would
> define it as more of a vocalized purring. I've heard no other
> vocalizations, including meowing, from either one. It's been over 40
> years since I last had a cat and can't remember if not meowing is
> normal or just something that develops later?
>
> Callie is the tomboy and Coie is more the shy type.
>
> My wife is concerned that Callie picks on Coie, Although it doesn't
> seem to me to be anything more than your usual sibling roughhousing,
> over quickly with a little bit of wrestling with no damage inflicted
> and nothing torn.
>
> Generally, Coie starts the play and it escalates. I tell Coie not to
> start what she can't finish.
>
> 1. Is this behavior 'normal', or do I need to worry?

The sparring sounds normal to me. As long as they aren't injuring each
other I think it's just play or working out who gets first choice of the
best sleeping spots.

Don't your kitties even meow when then are hungry? Mine talk to varying
degrees, ranging from all the time to hardly at all. But even the
quietest will join in the chorus when hungry and I'm in the kitchen and
they hear the clanking of cat food cans.

Barb
September 19th 05, 03:10 PM
Hi. Sounds like the cats are having fun. It's nice that you were able to
adopt littermates. I've noticed sometimes cats who get along really well
will start having a little fun, wrestling, and then it gets where one cat
gets really angry or they both do, even pull out some fur but then it's all
over and no serious injury to report.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

September 20th 05, 02:51 AM
I'm having the exact same probs only mine are brothers, the littest one
picks on the biggest (Rudy) one, and Rudy is the shyer of the
two...several times a day I make of picking up rudy sweet talking and
petting I only do it briefly

my guys don't meow much, whne shut out of the bdrm at night, that's
when we hear a few meows...when they want to eat one or the other puts
their paws on knee's

sorry I can't offer you more but you wanna share notes since we seem to
have the same probs, just let me know

lynn

Rhonda
September 21st 05, 06:48 AM
I have read somewhere that the packets have more chemicals in it. After
that, I stayed away from them -- even though I never found out for sure.
There were too many other types to choose from!

I always fed our kittens a better quality kitten food than Whiskas and
Friskies. We tried Iams, Science Diet, and a few others in that
category. I did try to feed different flavors now and then since I read
that kittens develop eating preferences in kitten-hood.

Your kittens are almost a year old, almost ready for adult food. They
probably have gone through a lot of changes recently, maybe you should
find one type they like and stick with it for awhile until their
digestive systems settle down a bit.

Rhonda