PDA

View Full Version : not interested in cat tree?

September 20th 05, 06:18 PM
Hi, my kitten is really not interested in any toy unless I am there to
fling it around. His favorite is the grey fur mouse on a string that
looked more realistic. I would very rarely catch him playing with a
feathered toy, and he will not touch any of those fake dolls with
unnatural colors.

At first I got him a 3 story condo and he would almost never go in or
on top of it unless he was chasing the toy mouse.

I now bought a 7 ft tall cat tree with multiple sisal posts, he might
use it to stretch out but he would never go up to the platforms or the
condos up there. He is not interested at all. I think he is not fond
of the heights. He prefers the floor to sleep on.

As you can guess I am stumped as I spent a bit of money on the tree.
There are these unrealistic hanging toys hung on it but he is not at
all interested. I just adopted a second kitten so hopefully at least
one of them will use the tree! Or maybe fight over some of the toys.

Oh, his favorite game seems to be sticking his paw under my small
berber rug or just chew on the edges etc. He thinks it is some kind of
prey.

Topaz
September 20th 05, 06:47 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, my kitten is really not interested in any toy unless I am there to
> fling it around. His favorite is the grey fur mouse on a string that
> looked more realistic. I would very rarely catch him playing with a
> feathered toy, and he will not touch any of those fake dolls with
> unnatural colors.

How old is he? Also when was he taken from his mother and litter
mates, do you know? You might have to teach him how to play a
bit.

> At first I got him a 3 story condo and he would almost never go in or
> on top of it unless he was chasing the toy mouse.
>
> I now bought a 7 ft tall cat tree with multiple sisal posts, he might
> use it to stretch out but he would never go up to the platforms or the
> condos up there. He is not interested at all. I think he is not fond
> of the heights. He prefers the floor to sleep on.

The good news is, cats change all the time, as much as they can
be creatures of habit. Give it some time--and rub the cat tree with
catnip!! You can get some at the link below or locally. Also some
cats are horizontal scratchers. My cat Topaz is. He loves this one:

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

I think I might even try putting him on the cat tree and stroking
and praising him. Deep in their squirrely lttle hearts they long to please
their humans--or drive them crazy, by turn! We need pictures!!
Have you put up a free yahoo photo site yet? :)

chas
September 20th 05, 07:57 PM
Cats are like kids.

You can't force them to play with the toys when they'd they'd rather play
with the box it came in!

chas

Karen
September 20th 05, 09:08 PM
Where is the tree located? It needs to be where you can SEE him being cute
(I swear, they will not generally use trees that aren't in line of vision of
human.) and usually by a window is good (so they can see what is going on).
I actually put new trees SMACK in the middle of the room first. So they can
"discover" it. Leave it there for a bit (hour or so) and make a big deal of
it. They usually are immediately interested then. Then you may just have to
experiment on where the "best" place is. I also move mine occassionally so
they become "new" again. HTH

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, my kitten is really not interested in any toy unless I am there to
> fling it around. His favorite is the grey fur mouse on a string that
> looked more realistic. I would very rarely catch him playing with a
> feathered toy, and he will not touch any of those fake dolls with
> unnatural colors.
>
> At first I got him a 3 story condo and he would almost never go in or
> on top of it unless he was chasing the toy mouse.
>
> I now bought a 7 ft tall cat tree with multiple sisal posts, he might
> use it to stretch out but he would never go up to the platforms or the
> condos up there. He is not interested at all. I think he is not fond
> of the heights. He prefers the floor to sleep on.
>
> As you can guess I am stumped as I spent a bit of money on the tree.
> There are these unrealistic hanging toys hung on it but he is not at
> all interested. I just adopted a second kitten so hopefully at least
> one of them will use the tree! Or maybe fight over some of the toys.
>
> Oh, his favorite game seems to be sticking his paw under my small
> berber rug or just chew on the edges etc. He thinks it is some kind of
> prey.

Cheryl
September 20th 05, 11:01 PM
On Tue 20 Sep 2005 01:18:01p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

> As you can guess I am stumped as I spent a bit of money on the
> tree. There are these unrealistic hanging toys hung on it but he
> is not at all interested. I just adopted a second kitten so
> hopefully at least one of them will use the tree! Or maybe
> fight over some of the toys.

When I got my first big tree for the kits it took a while to catch
on. Like Karen said, placement is everything. Now, it's a very much
loved, much used piece of furniture! :) They always crack me up when
they run at full speed, climb up one of the poles, or just jump to
the top perch. One of my cats sometimes moves so fast up the tree
that he practically falls off the other side, hangs there like he's
doing pull-ups and then looks at me like "I meant to do that".

Congrats on both of your new furry friends! How old are they?

--
Cheryl

September 21st 05, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the advices, my living room looks more like a cat habitat
then a human one with catbed and blankets and now the tall tree.

I was wondering maybe if the tree wasn't so stable, it tends to wobble
slightly and maybe the kitty is afraid. It has a hammock / napper on
the bottom and he absolutely refuse to sit in it!

I am growing some catnip and catmint outside currently. Will probably
rubbing those soft toys that he will not play with to see if it makes a
difference.

My kitten (Turbo) is 4.5 months old and I had him for only 2 weeks, I
just picked out his companion (Nova) during the weekend and will be
bringing him home as soon as Turbo's URI is over, he is on antibiotics.
I will be posting pictures once I have both of them!

Charlie Wilkes
September 21st 05, 12:26 AM
On 20 Sep 2005 10:18:01 -0700, wrote:

>Hi, my kitten is really not interested in any toy unless I am there to
>fling it around. His favorite is the grey fur mouse on a string that
>looked more realistic. I would very rarely catch him playing with a
>feathered toy, and he will not touch any of those fake dolls with
>unnatural colors.
>
>At first I got him a 3 story condo and he would almost never go in or
>on top of it unless he was chasing the toy mouse.
>
>I now bought a 7 ft tall cat tree with multiple sisal posts, he might
>use it to stretch out but he would never go up to the platforms or the
>condos up there. He is not interested at all. I think he is not fond
>of the heights. He prefers the floor to sleep on.

I've had a similar experience. I took some 2x4s and carpet scraps and
made Tweaker a first-class Cat Tree, with a nice padded perch at the
top and toys dangling from the branches. He wants nothing to do with
it.

Charlie

>As you can guess I am stumped as I spent a bit of money on the tree.
>There are these unrealistic hanging toys hung on it but he is not at
>all interested. I just adopted a second kitten so hopefully at least
>one of them will use the tree! Or maybe fight over some of the toys.
>
>Oh, his favorite game seems to be sticking his paw under my small
>berber rug or just chew on the edges etc. He thinks it is some kind of
>prey.

Karen
September 21st 05, 12:44 AM
On 2005-09-20 18:05:31 -0500, said:

> Thanks for the advices, my living room looks more like a cat habitat
> then a human one with catbed and blankets and now the tall tree.
>
> I was wondering maybe if the tree wasn't so stable, it tends to wobble
> slightly and maybe the kitty is afraid. It has a hammock / napper on
> the bottom and he absolutely refuse to sit in it!
>
> I am growing some catnip and catmint outside currently. Will probably
> rubbing those soft toys that he will not play with to see if it makes a
> difference.
>
> My kitten (Turbo) is 4.5 months old and I had him for only 2 weeks, I
> just picked out his companion (Nova) during the weekend and will be
> bringing him home as soon as Turbo's URI is over, he is on antibiotics.
> I will be posting pictures once I have both of them!

Oh yes, it needs to be stable. Maybe try anchoring it somehow. They
need to be able to POUND it.

Cheryl
September 21st 05, 01:02 AM
On Tue 20 Sep 2005 07:44:47p, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news:200509201844472781%[email protected]):

> On 2005-09-20 18:05:31 -0500, said:
>
>> Thanks for the advices, my living room looks more like a cat
>> habitat then a human one with catbed and blankets and now the
>> tall tree.
>>
>> I was wondering maybe if the tree wasn't so stable, it tends to
>> wobble slightly and maybe the kitty is afraid. It has a
>> hammock / napper on the bottom and he absolutely refuse to sit
>> in it!
>>
>> I am growing some catnip and catmint outside currently. Will
>> probably rubbing those soft toys that he will not play with to
>> see if it makes a difference.
>>
>> My kitten (Turbo) is 4.5 months old and I had him for only 2
>> weeks, I just picked out his companion (Nova) during the
>> weekend and will be bringing him home as soon as Turbo's URI is
>> over, he is on antibiotics. I will be posting pictures once I
>> have both of them!
>
> Oh yes, it needs to be stable. Maybe try anchoring it somehow.
> They need to be able to POUND it.

I have one like that. Mostly stable, but it does wobble depending
on how kitty launches onto it. I lean the upper perch against the
wall.

--
Cheryl

Rebecca Root
September 21st 05, 02:24 AM
On 2005-09-20 11:18:01 -0600, said:

> I now bought a 7 ft tall cat tree with multiple sisal posts, he might
> use it to stretch out but he would never go up to the platforms or the
> condos up there. He is not interested at all. I think he is not fond
> of the heights. He prefers the floor to sleep on.

Sometimes these things go in and out of vogue with a particular cat,
but not all cats like them. Instead of a tree, I have arranged my own
tall furniture to have access paths and comfortable perches on the top.
Also, not all cats are that into heights. I wonder if it has to do
with their antecedents? My Sukey is a "cave lion": she doesn't get up
high very often, and when she sleeps she looks for a secluded, enclosed
place down low, like the back of a closet or under a bed. Riley is a
"leapord": gets up on top of things whenever possible and will find
high places to sleep and/or observe the world.

Most cats want a little life in their toys. Keep in mind that this is
their preditor play, so they won't be fooled long by a static object.
That said, Riley has this one disgusting "mouse" that he goes beserk
over whenever he finds it (he keeps losing it): it's made out of
sheepskin and never did look much like a mouse. Now it's so chewed on
it looks revolting, but he throws it and leaps after it like a maniac.

September 21st 05, 02:48 AM
Charlie Wilkes > wrote:

>I've had a similar experience. I took some 2x4s and carpet scraps and
>made Tweaker a first-class Cat Tree, with a nice padded perch at the
>top and toys dangling from the branches. He wants nothing to do with
>it.

Went to my first and only cat show last year to see what vendors were
there. Met a retired engineer who now made cat trees for a hobby -
real quality construction and nice carpet etc. After a few weeks of
exchanging emails with him, discussing custom designs and receiving
carpet swatches in the mail I went ahead and ordered one. A month
later I drove about 30 miles to a service center on a major highway
where he was to meet me on his way to another show. Lugged it home and
showed it to the boys and I don't think they have used more a couple
of times. Oh well - cats, who knew :-)

-mhd

Karen
September 21st 05, 03:30 AM
On 2005-09-20 20:48:47 -0500, said:

> Charlie Wilkes > wrote:
>

>> I've had a similar experience. I took some 2x4s and carpet scraps and
>> made Tweaker a first-class Cat Tree, with a nice padded perch at the
>> top and toys dangling from the branches. He wants nothing to do with
>> it.
>
> Went to my first and only cat show last year to see what vendors were
> there. Met a retired engineer who now made cat trees for a hobby -
> real quality construction and nice carpet etc. After a few weeks of
> exchanging emails with him, discussing custom designs and receiving
> carpet swatches in the mail I went ahead and ordered one. A month
> later I drove about 30 miles to a service center on a major highway
> where he was to meet me on his way to another show. Lugged it home and
> showed it to the boys and I don't think they have used more a couple
> of times. Oh well - cats, who knew :-)
>
> -mhd

I'm serious. Move it around. They really will use it.

September 21st 05, 06:04 PM
Thanks I moved it to the middle of the house. I am carrying or luring
him up on the higher platform, he seems to get the idea better now, I
caught him sleeping on the platform a couple times. He does not care
about the hanging toys so I have to find something he will play with.

Karen
September 21st 05, 09:48 PM
Oh yeah. Get RID of the hanging toys. Can be dangerous and really they
aren't that keen on them.
Glad he is using it!

ups.com...