PDA

View Full Version : Cat eats all the time

September 20th 05, 06:48 PM
I thought only dogs kept eating even when they are full. I was the one
who started the thread about the cat with the hanging belly. Everytime
I turn around this cat is at the food. It's dry food and always left
out for him. I have no idea how old the cat is as our former tenants
left him. He seems like a young cat but at 16 lbs. or so, I don't think
he's still growing. At least I hope not...lol! Do cats eat all day, and
how can I determine how old he is? He's an American Shorthair. Other
than his hanging belly he doesn't seem fat.

Topaz
September 20th 05, 06:57 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I thought only dogs kept eating even when they are full. I was the one
> who started the thread about the cat with the hanging belly. Everytime
> I turn around this cat is at the food. It's dry food and always left
> out for him. I have no idea how old the cat is as our former tenants
> left him. He seems like a young cat but at 16 lbs. or so, I don't think
> he's still growing. At least I hope not...lol! Do cats eat all day, and
> how can I determine how old he is? He's an American Shorthair. Other
> than his hanging belly he doesn't seem fat.

Some cats self-regulate and some do not. You can tell because you
see really fat cats all over the place.

Two things: canned food is much better for your cat, especially
since he is male and the water in canned food helps him avoid
urinary tract problems. And, you should feed him twice a day
about twelve hours apart or you're going to wind up with a fat
cat and pretty soon. Fat cats get heart disease, arthritis, etc.
Ask your vet how much to feed him at each sitting. You would
certainly be feeding him enough if you put down a 5.5 oz can
twice a day. Get canned food that has beef, chicken, salmon,
etc. as a first ingredient instead of "by products." Google this
group for "canned food" for much more information than you
could ever want on this topic.

5cats
September 21st 05, 12:54 AM
wrote:

> I thought only dogs kept eating even when they are full. I was the one
> who started the thread about the cat with the hanging belly. Everytime
> I turn around this cat is at the food. It's dry food and always left
> out for him. I have no idea how old the cat is as our former tenants
> left him. He seems like a young cat but at 16 lbs. or so, I don't think
> he's still growing. At least I hope not...lol! Do cats eat all day, and
> how can I determine how old he is? He's an American Shorthair. Other
> than his hanging belly he doesn't seem fat.

It seems like cats like to nibble on dry food all the time. Most cats
self-regulate and do fine on that scheme but a few don't and overeat. I
had to switch to canned food in the evening in order to motive them to
eat in meals instead of constant grazing. It seems to be working so far,
the chubby one has lost 11 oz. in 11 days.

Joe Canuck
September 21st 05, 04:30 AM
wrote:
> I thought only dogs kept eating even when they are full. I was the one
> who started the thread about the cat with the hanging belly. Everytime
> I turn around this cat is at the food. It's dry food and always left
> out for him. I have no idea how old the cat is as our former tenants
> left him. He seems like a young cat but at 16 lbs. or so, I don't think
> he's still growing. At least I hope not...lol! Do cats eat all day, and
> how can I determine how old he is? He's an American Shorthair. Other
> than his hanging belly he doesn't seem fat.

I have one who spends most of her time sleeping, and when she isn't
sleeping she is eating or following me around. :)

Food is a major motivator for cats, some more than others. Sounds like
yours may be a little overweight.

September 22nd 05, 05:01 AM
How much dry food should a 16 lb cat eat a day? I think he eats about,
or less than a cup the whole day. Is that too much! I will also add
some canned food at some feedings. He just eats the Country Value dry
food that just chicken. I liked it as it had no chemicals in it, and
was preserved just with Vitamin E. Does he have to eat other meats too?
He seems happy with that.