PDA

View Full Version : friskies canned "loaf"

September 20th 05, 07:10 PM
I am contemplating the friskies canned 'loaf' variety pack that can be
bought at costco? is this good food?

My kitten is just over 4 months old (neutered male) and he is on nutro
natural select dry food, free feed. I like this food alot as it
produces less stinky stools.

He appears to like the friskies canned so, I want to know this food is
decent for my kitty? What about the fancy feast?

BTW, The foster parent told me she feeds them canned about once a week
as a treat. Then I see some people feed canned twice a day.
What is the appropriate amount of canned food to feed? I try to get
him to exercise with games daily but I don't want him to over eat and
get fat.

Kiran

: I am contemplating the friskies canned 'loaf' variety pack that can be
: bought at costco? is this good food?

Don't buy a case of anything until you try it out. Buy single cans
first.

: He appears to like the friskies canned so, I want to know this food is
: decent for my kitty? What about the fancy feast?

Friskies has too many types for any mortal to remember. Some are better
than others. Fancy Feast is better as well as more expensive. Other
good canned foods are Iams, Nutro, Pro Plan. But cats are picky, so
don't buy a case of anything, try them out first. I am speaking from
bitter expereince. :)

: BTW, The foster parent told me she feeds them canned about once a week
: as a treat. Then I see some people feed canned twice a day.
: What is the appropriate amount of canned food to feed? I try to get
: him to exercise with games daily but I don't want him to over eat and
: get fat.

Generally, canned is better. Some people like dry because it is less
expensive, others becaise they are lazy and can just fill the bowl and
leave it out. With canned you have to have meal times and it should not
sit more than an hour or two at most.

I feed mine mostly canned, but do give dry as "treat" once or twice a
week. While I prefer canned, I want her to be able to eat dry for those
rare occasions when it is the only kind that can be served.

However, if he is eating 100% dry, don't make an abrupt switch. Start
feeding him a little canned now and then. Increase gradually. You might
want to bring him to the point where one of his daily meals is canned
and the other dry, then think about where you want to go.

How can cats overeat unless we put out too much food? Your cat is not
roaming garbage dumps, he eats what you put in his bowl. Stop
free-feeding, serve only measured quantities, and there can be no
question of overeating.