PDA

View Full Version : Older cat sleeps a lot

stonej
September 20th 05, 07:22 PM
We have three cats, the oldest is 9 years old and sleeps much
more than the two younger cats. Is is normal for older cats
to do a lot of sleeping?

Cat man
September 21st 05, 12:16 AM
I'm not an expert on cat health, but it probably is relatively normal.
For about a week, record exactly how long your nine year old cat is
sleeping, and post it on here. it might help to determine whether or
not it is normal.

5cats
September 21st 05, 12:39 AM
stonej wrote:

> We have three cats, the oldest is 9 years old and sleeps much
> more than the two younger cats. Is is normal for older cats
> to do a lot of sleeping?

Yes, cats do sleep longer as they get older. I've seen things that say a
normal adult cat sleeps something like 16 hours a day and even more as they
get older. How's he acting when awake? Is he still alert and active while
awake? If he's lethargic ALL the time that could be a sign of illness.