PDA

View Full Version : Litter tracking too much

September 21st 05, 06:48 PM
I have the enclosed litter box where there is a clear flap door and
kitty goes in and out. Otherwise my kitty likes to dig hard and just
make litter fly outside.

I am having too much problem with the litter being tracked.
I have a fabric rug in the exit area but he continues to track and drop
litter out of the area. The litterbox is on the corner of the room
by the sofa so this is not nice to have litter all over the my feet.
I also step on the litter and probably scratching my laminate floor.

I am thinking of switching litter also, the one I use is called litter
purrfect and it is a very fine granite.

Do I need to create some kind of maze to stop litter tracking. I am
thinking maybe I could rotate the box to create more a bit more walking
so that he cannot just bust out of the box and make a mess.

Maybe it is easier for me to try those clear crystal litters?

Sandra
September 21st 05, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't bother with the clear crystal litters as they track as well and
are painfull underfoot! You could try a rubber ridged mat, but you would
need to make sure your cat has to walk over it.

--
Sandra

Rebecca Root
September 22nd 05, 03:16 AM
On 2005-09-21 11:48:48 -0600, said:

> Do I need to create some kind of maze to stop litter tracking. I am
> thinking maybe I could rotate the box to create more a bit more walking
> so that he cannot just bust out of the box and make a mess.
>
> Maybe it is easier for me to try those clear crystal litters?

This has been an on-going problem with my cats, too, but I recently
bought a couple of
mats from Petsmart designed just for this. They are rubber and have a
kind of fluffed up surface
that traps litter pretty well. You can vacuum them and/or hose them
off. I use the crystal stuff,
and it usually tracks a lot, but the latest incarnation of Fresh Step
doesn't track much, and traps in these mats pretty well