PDA

View Full Version : Cat, porch, winter


Kiran
September 21st 05, 10:52 PM
My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.

It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.


Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:

1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
her in a sweater.

2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)

3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
ready-made.

Gail
September 21st 05, 10:57 PM
Cats can pretty well judge for themselves when they are too cold and want to
come inside (off of the porch). I would provide her with a warm bed out
there (when she wants to remain out there) and buy a snuggle safe pad to
place in the bed (make sure it is insulated by a towel or blanket). You nuke
these plastic frisbee disk in the microwave and they hold the heat for 12
hours. You can find them on the internet:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=E53AAF66-347A-4789-AFCC-5D6FA77ED8B6&ccd=IFP003
Gail
"Kiran" > wrote in message
...
> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>
> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>
>
> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
> her in a sweater.
>
> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>
> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
> ready-made.

shortfuse
September 22nd 05, 12:21 AM
--
Our cats are "weird". In the summer they lay in the attic where there is no
a/c and reads 90+ and the winter they go up there with no heat and it hits
refrigerator temps....Go figure!



"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Cats can pretty well judge for themselves when they are too cold and want
> to come inside (off of the porch). I would provide her with a warm bed out
> there (when she wants to remain out there) and buy a snuggle safe pad to
> place in the bed (make sure it is insulated by a towel or blanket). You
> nuke these plastic frisbee disk in the microwave and they hold the heat
> for 12 hours. You can find them on the internet:
> http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=E53AAF66-347A-4789-AFCC-5D6FA77ED8B6&ccd=IFP003
> Gail
> "Kiran" > wrote in message
> ...
>> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
>> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
>> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>>
>> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
>> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
>> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
>> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>>
>>
>> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
>> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>>
>> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
>> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
>> her in a sweater.
>>
>> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
>> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
>> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
>> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>>
>> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
>> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
>> ready-made.
>
>

Gary Stone
September 22nd 05, 07:54 AM
One of mine loves the heat and the other loves cold. However, even when it
is -19 F they will have slip out the door just to make sure they don't
want to be out there.

Stone
Some pic's http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stoneman72/my_photos


"shortfuse" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> --
> Our cats are "weird". In the summer they lay in the attic where there is
> no a/c and reads 90+ and the winter they go up there with no heat and it
> hits refrigerator temps....Go figure!
>
>
>
> "Gail" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Cats can pretty well judge for themselves when they are too cold and want
>> to come inside (off of the porch). I would provide her with a warm bed
>> out there (when she wants to remain out there) and buy a snuggle safe pad
>> to place in the bed (make sure it is insulated by a towel or blanket).
>> You nuke these plastic frisbee disk in the microwave and they hold the
>> heat for 12 hours. You can find them on the internet:
>> http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=E53AAF66-347A-4789-AFCC-5D6FA77ED8B6&ccd=IFP003
>> Gail
>> "Kiran" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
>>> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
>>> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>>>
>>> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
>>> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
>>> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
>>> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>>>
>>>
>>> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
>>> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>>>
>>> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
>>> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
>>> her in a sweater.
>>>
>>> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
>>> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
>>> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
>>> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>>>
>>> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
>>> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
>>> ready-made.
>>
>>
>
>

shortfuse
September 22nd 05, 02:11 PM
LOL...I remember last winter we were having one of our snow falls, so I
opened up the window so they could see and feel the snow flakes popping thru
the screen. They didnt stay too long..and neither did the window stay up
either long.
Have a purrr fect day!
--



"Gary Stone" > wrote in message
...
> One of mine loves the heat and the other loves cold. However, even when it
> is -19 F they will have slip out the door just to make sure they don't
> want to be out there.
>
> Stone
> Some pic's http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stoneman72/my_photos
>
>
> "shortfuse" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>>
>> --
>> Our cats are "weird". In the summer they lay in the attic where there is
>> no a/c and reads 90+ and the winter they go up there with no heat and it
>> hits refrigerator temps....Go figure!
>>
>>
>>
>> "Gail" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>> Cats can pretty well judge for themselves when they are too cold and
>>> want to come inside (off of the porch). I would provide her with a warm
>>> bed out there (when she wants to remain out there) and buy a snuggle
>>> safe pad to place in the bed (make sure it is insulated by a towel or
>>> blanket). You nuke these plastic frisbee disk in the microwave and they
>>> hold the heat for 12 hours. You can find them on the internet:
>>> http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=E53AAF66-347A-4789-AFCC-5D6FA77ED8B6&ccd=IFP003
>>> Gail
>>> "Kiran" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
>>>> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
>>>> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>>>>
>>>> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
>>>> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
>>>> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
>>>> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
>>>> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>>>>
>>>> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
>>>> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
>>>> her in a sweater.
>>>>
>>>> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
>>>> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
>>>> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
>>>> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>>>>
>>>> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
>>>> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
>>>> ready-made.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Kiran
September 22nd 05, 07:21 PM
Gail > wrote:

: Cats can pretty well judge for themselves when they are too cold and want to
: come inside (off of the porch). I would provide her with a warm bed out
: there (when she wants to remain out there) and buy a snuggle safe pad to
: place in the bed (make sure it is insulated by a towel or blanket). You nuke
: these plastic frisbee disk in the microwave and they hold the heat for 12
: hours. You can find them on the internet:
:
: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=E53AAF66-347A-4789-AFCC-5D6FA77
: ED8B6&ccd=IFP003

Thank you. With winter still some distance away, I am collecting ideas
for providing reliable warmth in the outside porch. My first thought
was to create some kind of confined area and install a light bulb,
simply because I had seen one person provide warmth to his dog that
way. I also learned about a few heated pads. What I like about your
suggestion is that no electric cords are involved and it seems safer.

As for beds, I have tried to set up several, but these days she prefers
to sleep inside a small cardboard box in the porch. It has been an
humbling expereince. :-)

5cats
September 22nd 05, 08:17 PM
Kiran wrote:

> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>
> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>
>
> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
> her in a sweater.
>
> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>
> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
> ready-made.
>

How about installing a cat-flap between the main house and the porch?
That may turn out to be less trouble than rigging up warm sleeping
quarters out on the porch. Just an idea....

Kiran
September 22nd 05, 08:57 PM
5cats > wrote:

: How about installing a cat-flap between the main house and the porch?
: That may turn out to be less trouble than rigging up warm sleeping
: quarters out on the porch. Just an idea....

Her access in and out is not a big problem. My concern it, she prefers
the porch so much---the only times she comes in voluntarily is when
there is lightning and thunder---that she may stay there longer than is
good for her and may "catch cold" or whatever the feline equivalent is.


I am going by my kids' example. No doubt, if it is painful enough they
would avoid it; the danger zone is when it is within their tolerance
but still enough to make them sick! Now that I think about it, they
never get sick when it is -10 degrees, far more likely when it's +40.

Maybe I am worrying too much, but I am worrying and tinkering type. :)

No More Retail
September 22nd 05, 09:19 PM
Here is an easy way to look at it if the weather guy tells you it is time to
bring your plants and animals in do it. If you walk outside and the cat is
sitting their fuzzed up time to come in. If you think it is too cold it is
time to come in. They can be only our masters 75% of the time. If you want
to let her stay out side go to the local pet store they sell thermal pads
that reflects the animals body heat
http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm?prod=4991&UDC=Y for example.

Also a shelter can be built that you can use heavy duty heating pads i have
seen the rip proof and and if you are worried about the electrical line
shorting out due to accidents. They make a solar powered heating pad you
can get them at camping stores

IBen Getiner
September 23rd 05, 10:39 PM
Kiran wrote:
> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>
> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>
>
> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
> her in a sweater.
>
> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>
> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
> ready-made.

A wanna-be writer we got us here....



IBen

Observer
September 24th 05, 04:29 PM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
...
> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>
> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>
>
> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
> her in a sweater.
>
> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>
> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
> ready-made.



You did not mention what part of the country you live in.

We have a very large house and a very large screened-in porch/patio with a
roof, so all of our inside cats go in and out of the house proper and onto
the porch during all seasons. We have comfy boxes out there, and a few
simply plop in them and sleep when the mood strikes them. As long as it is
protected from rain, they are okay with it. Of course, they can come inside
if they choose because we have two pet flaps where they and egress the porch
and enter the house.

However, we also care for about a dozen outside cats--most of whom are
completely feral and will not allow themselves to be touched (we previously
caught all of them via different methods and had them fixed and inoculated,
etc.). For them--since they live entirely out of doors, we merely provide a
sheltered enclosure from the wind and rain; and inside it we put a host of
warm boxes filled with stuffing. They make it just fine, with their food
and water also protected from the elements. Some of them bunk together for
companionship as much as for warmth.

A cat has a body temp above 100F and--unless they are a rare breed--will put
on a tough warm winter coat that is capable of keeping them warm under dry
and protected conditions.

Your cat seems to be an inside/outside cat--which I don't recommend. But if
that is the only option, just give her a spot that is protected on all sides
from the wind, with plenty of stuffing inside and let her decide when she
wants to come back in. I would not put a sweater on her, as it could get
caught on something while you were unaware.

There is nothing wrong with the light bulb idea, but it is not necessary
unless you live in Siberia.

--Geno

whayface
September 24th 05, 07:43 PM
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:29:55 -0500, "Observer" <[email protected] Iknow.com> wrote:

>However, we also care for about a dozen outside cats--most of whom are
>completely feral and will not allow themselves to be touched (we previously
>caught all of them via different methods and had them fixed and inoculated,
>etc.). For them--since they live entirely out of doors, we merely provide a
>sheltered enclosure from the wind and rain; and inside it we put a host of
>warm boxes filled with stuffing. They make it just fine, with their food
>and water also protected from the elements. Some of them bunk together for
>companionship as much as for warmth.


I was / am caring for some completely feral cats as well as some neighbors cats that they
let run wild where my daughter rents (I do not live there but make a trip there just to
feed cats) so what I did was put some old quilts / comforters that I had under an enclosed
porch of one of her nieghbors (He said I could) for during cold weather they have a little
comfort out of the weather. There are a couple holes going under it big enough for the
cats to go under so I worked the comforters / quilts under and took a long pole and shoved
them back away from the hole against the basement wall plus I worked some containers under
that I can reach and keep full of dry food. May not be the best but better then nothing
when this Michigan weather drop below zero.



http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Eazm
September 25th 05, 12:06 AM
wrote in message...
> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>
> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>
>
> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
> her in a sweater.
>
> 2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
> her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
> pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
> leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains. :)
>
> 3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
> adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
> ready-made.

Since the porch is mainly just a vantage point for her to stand guard
against the outside tree and bird situation, then maybe one of those
window-sill bed thingies inside the house would entice her to stay more
often? I have three of them against windows in the bedrooms of my uppermost
floor. They are the ones with the fluffy, "sheepy", liners. The cats
absolutely love 'em. Kitty heaven: food and water bowls always full, litter
box always clean, and a high, warm, perch against a window to watch all the
furry things smaller than them outside. :^)

-L.
September 25th 05, 08:06 AM
Kiran wrote:
> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>

I haven't read all the responses, but what I would do is fix a cat
carrier with a heated bed in it, for her to use. Here is an example of
a heated bed:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3569&Ntt=cat%20bed%20heated&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2002&Nty=1

I woud NOT put a sweater on her - too much potential for her to get
hung up in it. I would also bring her inside any time it gets below
about 50 degrees.

good luck,
-L.

September 25th 05, 04:08 PM
"-L." > wrote:

>I would also bring her inside any time it gets below
>about 50 degrees.

You got to be kidding?

-mhd

223rem
September 25th 05, 05:37 PM
Kiran wrote:
> My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
>
> It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
> me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
> remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
> sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
>
>
> Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
> comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:

Cats are mauch smarter than children. They know best when it is too cold for
them to be out.


> 1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
> can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
> her in a sweater.

LMAO! Clothe a cat with a sweater?! Make sure you have a camcorder
rolling when you try that.

Topaz
September 25th 05, 06:07 PM
> wrote in message
...
> "-L." > wrote:
>
> >I would also bring her inside any time it gets below
> >about 50 degrees.
>
> You got to be kidding?
>

I think that must be a typo.

Topaz
September 25th 05, 06:07 PM
"223rem" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s71...
> Kiran wrote:
> > My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
> > in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
> > partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.
> >
> > It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
> > me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
> > remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
> > sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.
> >
> >
> > Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
> > comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:
>
> Cats are mauch smarter than children.

Maybe your children. Or should I just say that I disagree? ;)

Barb
September 26th 05, 05:25 PM
I have a cat door to the deck. The cats drift out as long as I'm around.
If it gets hot they go under the chaise. If it gets so hot that I go in,
they do, too, at least pretty soon and sometimes before I do. My Sapphire
who loved her deck, so, would go out in any temperature even down to o
degrees. If it was sunny she stayed out for a while and would come in with
her black fur very warm. If it was cloudy, windy, and cold she would just
walk around and then get right in.

Cats are smart and know enough to come in if it's too hot, cold or rainy.
Trust them.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Kiran
September 27th 05, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. Basically, I feel reassured
that there is not much to worry about. However, as she does have a huge
preference for staying in the porch whatever the weather, I would add a
few elements to increase her comfort:

1. A small tent-like house, basically a basket or even a box with
cover. Open baskets are ok, but a cover will cut down on occasional
drafts (the porch is open on the sides). Right now her method is to get
under some chair when it is drafty (she'd prefer that to comin in!),
but this will give her another option.

2. Line these up with a heat reflecting pad.

3. It was good to learn about Sluggle Safe. In colder weather, I would
consider that under a blanket. (I am assuming that a heat-reflecting
pad with snuggle safe might be too much? But I'll experiment around.)

Gail
September 28th 05, 01:50 AM
Thanks for letting us know!!You won't need a heat reflecting pad with the
Snuggle Safe one. It does a great job.
Gail
"Kiran" > wrote in message
...
> Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. Basically, I feel reassured
> that there is not much to worry about. However, as she does have a huge
> preference for staying in the porch whatever the weather, I would add a
> few elements to increase her comfort:
>
> 1. A small tent-like house, basically a basket or even a box with
> cover. Open baskets are ok, but a cover will cut down on occasional
> drafts (the porch is open on the sides). Right now her method is to get
> under some chair when it is drafty (she'd prefer that to comin in!),
> but this will give her another option.
>
> 2. Line these up with a heat reflecting pad.
>
> 3. It was good to learn about Sluggle Safe. In colder weather, I would
> consider that under a blanket. (I am assuming that a heat-reflecting
> pad with snuggle safe might be too much? But I'll experiment around.)