PDA

View Full Version : Generic Wheat litter

mystro
September 24th 05, 05:13 PM
Because I have access to umlimited wheat (Palouse area of E.Washington)
I was curious if I could use the raw wheat product
for litter or is the commercial stuff treated with something that makes
it clump?

PawsForThought
September 24th 05, 11:32 PM
mystro wrote:
> Because I have access to umlimited wheat (Palouse area of E.Washington)
> I was curious if I could use the raw wheat product
> for litter or is the commercial stuff treated with something that makes
> it clump?

as far as I know, the commercial product Swheat Scoop is not treated.
Why not try a batch of what you have and see how it works? I'd be
curious to know so can you post your results?

mystro
September 28th 05, 04:50 AM
I will post my results here.

whayface
September 28th 05, 01:51 PM
On 27 Sep 2005 20:50:27 -0700, "mystro" > wrote:

>I will post my results here.

Results of what??

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Jennifer
September 28th 05, 04:12 PM
whayface wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2005 20:50:27 -0700, "mystro" > wrote:
>
> >I will post my results here.
>

> Results of what??

I will never understand how people can bear to read newsgroups
unthreaded.

--
Jennifer

September 28th 05, 04:58 PM
PawsForThought wrote:
> mystro wrote:
> > Because I have access to umlimited wheat (Palouse area of E.Washington)
> > I was curious if I could use the raw wheat product
> > for litter or is the commercial stuff treated with something that makes
> > it clump?
>
> as far as I know, the commercial product Swheat Scoop is not treated.
> Why not try a batch of what you have and see how it works? I'd be
> curious to know so can you post your results?

800-SWHEATS 800-794-3287 I use their product and they are great on the
telephone if you have technical questions. You might have to go up a
level though. I discussed this with them. If you're bothered by stuff
sticking to the bottom, then use at least 3" deep. That's the first
trick.

The second trick is the size of the wheat. If it's very fine, then you
may have dust at times. If this bothers you, a light spray of olive oil
over the top will contain the dust. I never bothered even when using
their older product which was too fine and made dust.

I don't think they use anything but I could be wrong. They have an
expiration date or used to. This would indicate not using preservatives
at least. I was kind of tickled to see an expiration date on cat
litter.

If you find out they use anything, tell us. It's really a good idea
since in the vet research I have noticed some talk about felines and
illness and clay. Apparently they either ingest or inhale or both the
clay litters - don't remember specifically. How clean is the clay and
so on. Wheat is expensive but I have found it on sale in supermarkets.
If you have it for free, that's great.

KD
September 28th 05, 05:58 PM
On 28 Sep 2005 08:12:24 -0700, "Jennifer" > wrote:

>whayface wrote:
>> On 27 Sep 2005 20:50:27 -0700, "mystro" > wrote:
>>
>> >I will post my results here.
>>

>> Results of what??
>
>I will never understand how people can bear to read newsgroups
>unthreaded.

It is simple netiquette to include a snippet when you are replying,
and easier than NOT to with most news readers.

September 28th 05, 06:22 PM
KD wrote:

> On 28 Sep 2005 08:12:24 -0700, "Jennifer" > wrote:

> >whayface wrote:

> >> Results of what??
> >I will never understand how people can bear to read newsgroups
> >unthreaded.

> It is simple netiquette to include a snippet when you are replying,
> and easier than NOT to with most news readers.

This is not so with Google News now. In all fairness to the original
poster, it's really the fault of Google News. If you use the obvious
reply button, it brings up a box. What you type in the box is only what
appears. It's not obvious that it discards all the previous posts. Took
me a few posts before I now go to the very top where there is another
Reply buried under the "Show Options" that does include the previously
posted material.

I suspect that Google is doing this on purpose to cut down bandwidth. I
have used a news reader, in unix, that would _not+ let me post at first
if I included too much previous material! And that newsreader, tin, did
so for the same reasons.

Jennifer
September 28th 05, 11:42 PM
KD wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2005 08:12:24 -0700, "Jennifer" > wrote:
>
> >I will never understand how people can bear to read newsgroups
> >unthreaded.
>
> It is simple netiquette to include a snippet when you are replying,
> and easier than NOT to with most news readers.

I know; I always try to do so, myself, even though I use Google groups
these days (which does not quote by default, as Treeline mentioned) .
It would just make me crazy not to have messages threaded. It's the
first thing I configure any time I set up a newsreader.

--
Jennifer