PDA

View Full Version : Intact Male unirary habits

Malcolm53
September 25th 05, 03:57 AM
I am new to the group but I have a serious question to ask.

Our 7 year old intact male russian blue has been accused of urinating
on cars in an open parking area with a stranger present. My question
is about the probability of this happening.

This would be a new activity for him as he has never been accused of
this action before. I am also puzzled by the concept that cats usually
do not releive themselves in public places, or are that contradictions
to this concept?

He has been an indoor / outdoor cat and lately we have been forced to
keep him confined to our home due to complaints from neighbours about
their gardens being dug in. There are other cats around but he most
likely is guilty of doing this also.

Any direction or behaviour studies to support wether or not cats will
usually urinate in open areas and especially on a car will be greatly
appreciated.

Blessings
Malcolm

Magic Mood JeepŠ
September 25th 05, 04:02 AM
Malcolm53 wrote:
> I am new to the group but I have a serious question to ask.
>
> Our 7 year old intact male russian blue has been accused of urinating
> on cars in an open parking area with a stranger present. My question
> is about the probability of this happening.
>
> This would be a new activity for him as he has never been accused of
> this action before. I am also puzzled by the concept that cats
> usually do not releive themselves in public places, or are that
> contradictions to this concept?
>
> He has been an indoor / outdoor cat and lately we have been forced to
> keep him confined to our home due to complaints from neighbours about
> their gardens being dug in. There are other cats around but he most
> likely is guilty of doing this also.
>
> Any direction or behaviour studies to support wether or not cats will
> usually urinate in open areas and especially on a car will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Blessings
> Malcolm

Intact males (and females) will spray to mark their territory. The act
looks like urination, but the smell is much worse. And he is probably
digging in gardens to bury his waste (I bet he does the same in a
litterbox).

You are right to keep him in, and I hope he does not start spraying all over
your house.

-L.
September 25th 05, 06:42 AM
Malcolm53 wrote:
> I am new to the group but I have a serious question to ask.
>
> Our 7 year old intact male russian blue has been accused of urinating
> on cars in an open parking area with a stranger present. My question
> is about the probability of this happening.

he is undoubtedly spraying to mark territory. Even neutered cats will
sometimes do this. Car tires were always a favorite of my Mom's cat,
Pinky.

> This would be a new activity for him as he has never been accused of
> this action before. I am also puzzled by the concept that cats usually
> do not releive themselves in public places, or are that contradictions
> to this concept?
>
> He has been an indoor / outdoor cat and lately we have been forced to
> keep him confined to our home due to complaints from neighbours about
> their gardens being dug in. There are other cats around but he most
> likely is guilty of doing this also.

They all probably do so.

Why is he intact? Allowing an intact male to roam is socially
irresponsible as well as deleterious to your cat. He is likely to
fight and mark territory (as he is doing), and is at risk for
blood-borne diseases (like FIV and FeLV) spread through fighting, as
well as abscessed wounds. Please, have him neutered, unless there is a
medical reason why you have not done so.

-L.

Phil P.
September 25th 05, 11:57 AM
"Malcolm53" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am new to the group but I have a serious question to ask.
>
> Our 7 year old intact male russian blue has been accused of urinating
> on cars in an open parking area with a stranger present. My question
> is about the probability of this happening.
>
> This would be a new activity for him as he has never been accused of
> this action before. I am also puzzled by the concept that cats usually
> do not releive themselves in public places, or are that contradictions
> to this concept?
>
> He has been an indoor / outdoor cat and lately we have been forced to
> keep him confined to our home due to complaints from neighbours about
> their gardens being dug in. There are other cats around but he most
> likely is guilty of doing this also.
>
> Any direction or behaviour studies to support wether or not cats will
> usually urinate in open areas and especially on a car will be greatly
> appreciated.

Get him neutered. Neutering reduces fighting, roaming and spraying in 9
out of 10 cats. Neutered males are much more hygienic, are much friendlier
to other cats, tolerate handling better, give more affection, are more
playful and demand more attention than intact males. He'll also live a
longer, healthier and happier life.

Allowing an intact male to roam free is actually poor ownership
responsibility because he can single-handedly significantly contribute to
the overpopulation problem.

Get him neutered.

Joe Canuck
September 25th 05, 12:37 PM
Malcolm53 wrote:
> I am new to the group but I have a serious question to ask.
>
> Our 7 year old intact male russian blue has been accused of urinating
> on cars in an open parking area with a stranger present. My question
> is about the probability of this happening.

The probability is quite high.

> This would be a new activity for him as he has never been accused of
> this action before. I am also puzzled by the concept that cats usually
> do not releive themselves in public places, or are that contradictions
> to this concept?
>
> He has been an indoor / outdoor cat and lately we have been forced to
> keep him confined to our home due to complaints from neighbours about
> their gardens being dug in. There are other cats around but he most
> likely is guilty of doing this also.
>
> Any direction or behaviour studies to support wether or not cats will
> usually urinate in open areas and especially on a car will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Blessings
> Malcolm

Lets put it this way, intact males can have rather obnoxious habits. If
you have him neutered you will have a much calmer and better behaving pet.

Topaz
September 25th 05, 06:15 PM
"Malcolm53" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am new to the group but I have a serious question to ask.
>
> Our 7 year old intact male russian blue has been accused of urinating
> on cars in an open parking area with a stranger present. My question
> is about the probability of this happening.
>
> This would be a new activity for him as he has never been accused of
> this action before. I am also puzzled by the concept that cats usually
> do not releive themselves in public places, or are that contradictions
> to this concept?
>
> He has been an indoor / outdoor cat and lately we have been forced to
> keep him confined to our home due to complaints from neighbours about
> their gardens being dug in. There are other cats around but he most
> likely is guilty of doing this also.
>
> Any direction or behaviour studies to support wether or not cats will
> usually urinate in open areas and especially on a car will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Blessings
> Malcolm

Do you understand that your allowing your unneutered cat to roam
is resulting in litters of unwanted kittens that wind up suffering? Is
that less important than whether your cat pees on someones car?
Maybe you should ask that question in the car groups, where
cars are more important.