PDA

View Full Version : SYMPTOMS OF FELINE ASTHMA PLEASE ???

Deb-and-Henry
September 27th 05, 05:52 AM
Please tell me what the symptoms of asthma are in a 9 year old cat who
has had no allergies in the past, but has endured a lot of stress. Or,
please refer me to websites that can give me the symptoms of feline
asthma.

Thank you very much,
Debbie & *Henry*

Phil P.
September 27th 05, 06:37 AM
"Deb-and-Henry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Please tell me what the symptoms of asthma are in a 9 year old cat who
> has had no allergies in the past, but has endured a lot of stress. Or,
> please refer me to websites that can give me the symptoms of feline
> asthma.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Debbie & *Henry*

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_asthma_and_bronchitis.htm

http://www.cvm.msu.edu/research/mregl/feline.htm

http://www.felineasthma.org/

Has anyone suggested an echocardiogram to rule out heart disease? The
symptoms seem to suggest heart disease could be a differential.

If you live in either the southeastern U.S., the Eastern Seaboard, the Gulf
Coast or within the Mississippi River valley you might want to get him
tested for heartworm disease- even if he's an indoor cat.

Best of luck,

Phil

opalmirror
October 5th 05, 07:45 PM
Deb-and-Henry wrote:
> Please tell me what the symptoms of asthma are in a 9 year old cat who
> has had no allergies in the past, but has endured a lot of stress. Or,
> please refer me to websites that can give me the symptoms of feline
> asthma.

Hi Debbie and Henry,

Coughing, rapid breathing, lethargy, irritability are pretty common.
Fritz had some coughing this morning after his medication and has been
cranky with the other cats. I coauthor a website with extensive
information on feline asthma which we've worked hard to make
comprehensive: http://www.fritzthebrave.com.

Cheers,
James

Phil P.
October 5th 05, 09:19 PM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message

Bummer there's no
> cat inhalers.

Your cat has asthma and you've never heard of using inhalers??? Inhalers
have been used on cats with asthma for about 10 years. Instead of posting
anecdotal stories about your cat you should be researching her illness and
treatments.

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_asthma_and_bronchitis.htm

http://www.maxshouse.com/inhalation_therapy_for_airway_disease.htm

http://www.aerokat.com/Animal_Health/ah_aerokat_fac.asp

Phil P.
October 5th 05, 11:42 PM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
> Phil P. > wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>

> > "Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in
> > message
> >
> > Bummer there's no
> >> cat inhalers.
> >
> > Your cat has asthma and you've never heard of using inhalers???
> > Inhalers have been used on cats with asthma for about 10 years.
> > Instead of posting anecdotal stories about your cat you should be
> > researching her illness and treatments.
> >
> > http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_asthma_and_bronchitis.htm
> >
> > http://www.maxshouse.com/inhalation_therapy_for_airway_disease.htm
> >
> > http://www.aerokat.com/Animal_Health/ah_aerokat_fac.asp
> >

> Her vet said plenty of vets will sell you contraptions for rescue
> inhalers,

That's because he'd rather sell you a treatment that *he* must administer
and for which he can charge you.

but the fact is you cannot make a cat inhale when
> necessary and certainly not deeply enough for it to be effective.

Bull****. Either you're lying or your vet is as ignorant as you- and
doesn't know how to use an Areochamber or Aerokat properly--probably a
combination of the two. With an Areochamber or Aerokat the cat inhales the
full dose of medication more deeply into the lungs than with a normal
inspiration because the cat's first instinct is to gasp for air when her
mouth is covered by the mask.

Thousands of asthmatic cats have been successfully managed with inhalation
therapy. I've managed a few *myself*. I sure hope no one listens to your
ignorant bull****.

> I don't have the same killfile at work, darn it. But I can fix
> that...

That's why you're an ignorant, has-been, coke-whore and make your cat
suffer.

Phil P.
October 6th 05, 07:32 AM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message

> I'll certainly ask her about if Kami is having problems again, but the
> ER vet gave us oral Breathine and Prednisone for the future. The vet
> said if she starts to show signs of asthma difficulties again, go
> straight for the prednisone because both meds affect the kidneys,

Bull****. Breathine is metabolized in the *liver* and has no adverse affects
*on* the kidneys.

but
> the pred will do more for the asthma.

Bull****. Prednisone takes much longer to work and will not reverse an
attack as quickly as a bronchodilator.

> You don't know Kami. Using a mask is not likely to be successful.
> Maybe she was taking that into consideration when we were discussing
> it.

"When we were discussing it"?? You're changing your story, you sleazly
manipulating liar. You distinctly said "Bummer there's no cat inhalers"
which clearly indicates you did not know anything about inhalation therapy
for cats. You could not have discussed something you knew nothing about.
You're just trying to draw attention away from your ignorance and lack of
effort by lying.

They USED TO think she was a doll until she decided... not to be
> one. There are deep gouges in her carrier from her fangs the last time
> they tried to put her back in it.

That's because you encouraged biting when she was kitten and stupidly and
cruelly declawed her for a biting problem that *you* encouraged and failed
to correct. Had you researched declawing, as you should have researched
feline asthma, you would have learned that declawing only increases the
biting behavior in a biting cat.

Stop trying to peddle your old porn movies and put down your cocaine spoon
for a few minutes to do some research about your cat's health.

PawsForThought
October 6th 05, 01:56 PM
Brandy Alexandre wrote:
> Wayne Mitchell > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

> You don't know Kami. Using a mask is not likely to be successful.
> Maybe she was taking that into consideration when we were discussing
> it. They USED TO think she was a doll until she decided... not to be
> one. There are deep gouges in her carrier from her fangs the last time
> they tried to put her back in it. Hips weak, jaws apparently not.

This is the cat you declawed, right? I would imagine she probably has
some very bad memories of being at the vet and what happened to her
there :(
You would be giving her the inhaled meds at home, not in her carrier.

Lumpy
October 7th 05, 11:59 AM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote:.

> I'll stick to the opinions of those who have degrees in animal medicine
> and who actually know my cat rather than anecdotal and defensive
> remarks.

Besides, it is so much more convenient and economical not to
be bothered with an inhaler.

Phil P.
October 7th 05, 02:19 PM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Brandy Alexandre" > wrote:
>
> > Diane > wrote in
> > rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

> > > Then they should have said, "Yes, there are inhalers for cats, but
> > > they probably would not work with your cat because . . ." My
> > > veterinarians will discuss what's available and then why they
> > > don't recommend it (if they don't) for my particular beast. IIRC,
> > > this began when you said you wish someone would come up with an
> > > inhaler for cats.
> >
> > Per my inference, it's difficult to know when you're being sold
> > something and if something actually works.

> Again, you said that it was a bummer there weren't inhalers for cats.
> What you're saying now is entirely different.

Of course its completely different. She's just trying to sleaze over her
ignorance by
convoluting her original statement.

Phil P.
October 7th 05, 02:21 PM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message

> Per my inference, it's difficult to know when you're being sold
> something and if something actually works.

I guess the thought of researching inhalation therapy for your cat never
entered your mind. If she were my cat, I'd want to know *every* treatment
option available-- but that's me. Instead of surfing the web for your old
porn movies, you should be researching your cat's illness and treatments.

I heard from more than one
> expert that rescue inhalants are much too diffult to use on a cat.

You're sleazy a liar. You didn't hear anything of the sort. Otherwise you
would have said "inhalants are much too 'diffult' to use on a cat" (which of
course they aren't) instead of "Bummer there's no cat inhalers". The two
statements are completely different in meaning. You're simply trying to
sleaze out of looking ignorant about treatments for your cat's illness.
You're also trying to denigrate a very effective asthma therapy for cats
because you're too lazy and inept to handle it.

> I'll stick to the opinions of those who have degrees in animal medicine
> and who actually know my cat rather than anecdotal and defensive
> remarks.

Yeah- like the "those who have degrees in animal medicine" who recommended
declawing your biting cat?

The author of "Inhalation Therapy for Airway Disease" *is* an expert on
feline asthma and inhalation therapy- Patricia M. Dowling--. and she does
have "degrees in animal medicine"- D.V.M., Ph.D, Diplomate, American College
of Veterinary Internal Medicine--

Take a break from the cocaine- its burning out your brain cells.

Joe Canuck
October 7th 05, 03:44 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> "Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
>

>>Per my inference, it's difficult to know when you're being sold
>>something and if something actually works.
>

> I guess the thought of researching inhalation therapy for your cat never
> entered your mind. If she were my cat, I'd want to know *every* treatment
> option available-- but that's me. Instead of surfing the web for your old
> porn movies, you should be researching your cat's illness and treatments.
>

> I heard from more than one
>
>>expert that rescue inhalants are much too diffult to use on a cat.
>

> You're sleazy a liar. You didn't hear anything of the sort. Otherwise you
> would have said "inhalants are much too 'diffult' to use on a cat" (which of
> course they aren't) instead of "Bummer there's no cat inhalers". The two

That "bummer" word brings back painful memories for Brandy.

I suspect she has been "bummered" many times. ;)

> statements are completely different in meaning. You're simply trying to
> sleaze out of looking ignorant about treatments for your cat's illness.
> You're also trying to denigrate a very effective asthma therapy for cats
> because you're too lazy and inept to handle it.
>

>>I'll stick to the opinions of those who have degrees in animal medicine
>>and who actually know my cat rather than anecdotal and defensive
>>remarks.
>

> Yeah- like the "those who have degrees in animal medicine" who recommended
> declawing your biting cat?
>
> The author of "Inhalation Therapy for Airway Disease" *is* an expert on
> feline asthma and inhalation therapy- Patricia M. Dowling--. and she does
> have "degrees in animal medicine"- D.V.M., Ph.D, Diplomate, American College
> of Veterinary Internal Medicine--
>
> Take a break from the cocaine- its burning out your brain cells.

Phil P.
October 7th 05, 04:45 PM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
> Phil P. > wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>

> > "Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in
> > message ...
> >
> >> Per my inference, it's difficult to know when you're being sold
> >> something and if something actually works.
> >
> > I guess the thought of researching inhalation therapy for your cat
> > never entered your mind. If she were my cat, I'd want to know
> > *every* treatment option available-- but that's me. Instead of
> > surfing the web for your old porn movies, you should be
> > researching your cat's illness and treatments.
> >

> > I heard from more than one
> >> expert that rescue inhalants are much too diffult to use on a
> >> cat.
> >

> > You're sleazy a liar. You didn't hear anything of the sort.
> > Otherwise you would have said "inhalants are much too 'diffult' to
> > use on a cat" (which of course they aren't) instead of "Bummer
> > there's no cat inhalers". The two statements are completely
> > different in meaning. You're simply trying to sleaze out of
> > looking ignorant about treatments for your cat's illness. You're
> > also trying to denigrate a very effective asthma therapy for cats
> > because you're too lazy and inept to handle it.
> >

> >> I'll stick to the opinions of those who have degrees in animal
> >> medicine and who actually know my cat rather than anecdotal and
> >> defensive remarks.
> >
> > Yeah- like the "those who have degrees in animal medicine" who
> > recommended declawing your biting cat?
> >
> > The author of "Inhalation Therapy for Airway Disease" *is* an
> > expert on
> > feline asthma and inhalation therapy- Patricia M. Dowling--. and
> > she does have "degrees in animal medicine"- D.V.M., Ph.D,
> > Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine--
> >
> > Take a break from the cocaine- its burning out your brain cells.
> >

> Wow, that take some set of skills to put all of the standard
> personal attacks into one single defensive post.

Actually, I thought it was a rather aggressive and defamatory post-- at
least that was my intention.

You're really,
> truly afraid to let things stand on their own merits, aren't you.

Not at all. You just don't what you're talking about.

> Insecurity is uglier than you try to make me out to be based on
> decades old information and you lack of research on me!

You mean you're no longer a has-been and a coke whore who maimed and
disjointed her cat for a problem you created? Took a trip to Damascus
recently, have you?

Btw, don't flatter yourself, I didn't waste my time doing research on you-
its readily supplied by some of your 'admirers'. Actually, I never heard of
you before you posted in this group. You're not the celebrity you think you
are-- you're just an asshole- literally and figuratively.

> You seem to have a problem differentiating between my comment about
> rescue inhalers--you know, the kind where the cat is having an
> attack and you need something to put an immediate stop to it--and
> consistent therapies for chronic disease.

Nope. Your statement "Bummer there's no cat inhalers" was quite clear and
clearly showed you obviously knew nothing about inhalation therapy for cats.
Oh, and btw, inhaled corticosteroids *is* the current treatment of choice
for the chronic management of feline asthma because the drug is delivered
directly to the lungs and minimizes or even eliminates the systemic side
effects of steroid therapy. You really don't know anything about your cat's
illness and treatments! You're sinking deeper and deeper in your own
bull****. Better find another person who has more "degrees in animal
medicine" because the one you have now doesn't know **** about feline
asthma-- and you're too lazy to do your own research.

You said you kill-filed me *twice*. What happened? Your inflated ego just
has to know what people say about you! LOL!

Deb-and-Henry
October 17th 05, 02:58 AM
I'm confused... are you writing to me (Debbie) or the author of some
article who is promoting a product?

Debbie

5cats
October 17th 05, 03:05 AM
Deb-and-Henry wrote:

> I'm confused... are you writing to me (Debbie) or the author of some
> article who is promoting a product?
>
> Debbie

The person he was replying to either canceled her post or posted with x-no-
archive. You didn't miss anything important.

Deb-and-Henry
October 17th 05, 03:43 AM
Thank you for the reply... I was more than a little confused about it
all.

D. & H.