PDA

View Full Version : vomit outside litter box?

September 27th 05, 10:07 PM
Is there any connection about my kitten throwing up in proximity near
the litter box? Few days ago I saw a few dry food pellets with liquid
threw up just outside of the litter box. Today I saw the exact same
thing in the exact same spot. The pellets are just barely wet and
still in full shape.

Do kittens swallow the dry food without chewing? I am feeding nutro
kitten food which is olive shape instead of the usual cross-like
shapes.

Sometimes he will immediately go use the litter box after eating, maybe
the smell from the litter box invoke him to throw up? I scoop once a
day and just replaced all 100% of the litter after the first incident
(thought maybe it was smelly), today it happened again still.

I also free feed and he is always eating, in the middle of playing or
petting he would stop and go eat. Would it help to raise the dish off
the floor so he doesn't have to tilt his head up from the dish and end
up swallowing some of the food without chewing?

-L.
> Is there any connection about my kitten throwing up in proximity near
> the litter box? Few days ago I saw a few dry food pellets with liquid
> threw up just outside of the litter box. Today I saw the exact same
> thing in the exact same spot. The pellets are just barely wet and
> still in full shape.

<snip>

Constipation will make cats vomit. Are his stools hard and dry? If
so, feed more canned food, and make sure the water is fresh and
plentiful.

-L.

Karen
September 27th 05, 10:18 PM
On 2005-09-27 16:07:27 -0500, said:

> Is there any connection about my kitten throwing up in proximity near
> the litter box? Few days ago I saw a few dry food pellets with liquid
> threw up just outside of the litter box. Today I saw the exact same
> thing in the exact same spot. The pellets are just barely wet and
> still in full shape.
>
> Do kittens swallow the dry food without chewing? I am feeding nutro
> kitten food which is olive shape instead of the usual cross-like
> shapes.
>
> Sometimes he will immediately go use the litter box after eating, maybe
> the smell from the litter box invoke him to throw up? I scoop once a
> day and just replaced all 100% of the litter after the first incident
> (thought maybe it was smelly), today it happened again still.
>
> I also free feed and he is always eating, in the middle of playing or
> petting he would stop and go eat. Would it help to raise the dish off
> the floor so he doesn't have to tilt his head up from the dish and end
> up swallowing some of the food without chewing?

He's probablly eating too fast. I would try wet food. My one cat
sometimes goes to the catbox to throw up. I think she just knows she
"feels funny" and somehow equates that with going to the bathroom.

whayface
September 28th 05, 02:09 AM
On 27 Sep 2005 14:07:27 -0700, wrote:

>Do kittens swallow the dry food without chewing? I am feeding nutro
>kitten food which is olive shape instead of the usual cross-like
>shapes.

I read an article recently in Cat Fancy magazine that cats swallow 70 to 80% of their dry
food whole and maybe more if it is small dry food. That is why most of the dry dental
food for cats are bigger chunks so they have to chew it thus cleaning they teeth.

This is according to an articles in Cat Fancy magazine a couple months back.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm