PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Allergy?

September 28th 05, 05:56 PM
Yesterday I gave my kitten a treat of fancy feast, tuna flavored.
Well, I buy a variety of FF flavors based on a post from Phil P. One
of them was Tuna.

This morning he had a line of mucus in his eyes. He was at the vet 2
weeks ago because of URI and similar eye discharge, put on clavamox and
triple antibiotics eye ointment.

Last week, I thought both issues had cleared up already, as the eyes
discharge cleared up, the lower eyelid is no longer red.

So the question is could the tuna has caused his eye irritation or his
URI thing is coming back?

Karen
September 28th 05, 06:26 PM
Could be the URI but you should stay away from fish flavored food.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yesterday I gave my kitten a treat of fancy feast, tuna flavored.
> Well, I buy a variety of FF flavors based on a post from Phil P. One
> of them was Tuna.
>
> This morning he had a line of mucus in his eyes. He was at the vet 2
> weeks ago because of URI and similar eye discharge, put on clavamox and
> triple antibiotics eye ointment.
>
> Last week, I thought both issues had cleared up already, as the eyes
> discharge cleared up, the lower eyelid is no longer red.
>
> So the question is could the tuna has caused his eye irritation or his
> URI thing is coming back?

September 28th 05, 06:43 PM
Karen wrote:
> Could be the URI but you should stay away from fish flavored food.
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Yesterday I gave my kitten a treat of fancy feast, tuna flavored.
> > Well, I buy a variety of FF flavors based on a post from Phil P. One
> > of them was Tuna.
> >
> > This morning he had a line of mucus in his eyes. He was at the vet 2
> > weeks ago because of URI and similar eye discharge, put on clavamox and
> > triple antibiotics eye ointment.
> >
> > Last week, I thought both issues had cleared up already, as the eyes
> > discharge cleared up, the lower eyelid is no longer red.
> >
> > So the question is could the tuna has caused his eye irritation or his
> > URI thing is coming back?

Could be. Seafood Filets Tuna & Oceanfish in Aspic. He may be allergic
to the aspic. I thought it looked a bit strange. Did you get the right
one? There is one with Ocean Whitefish and Tuna in Aspic where the
phosphorus is a tad too high. But to happen in one day, maybe allergic
reaction to some of the stuff? Can you get a take of sample of urine
and have it tested just in case?

-L.
> Yesterday I gave my kitten a treat of fancy feast, tuna flavored.
> Well, I buy a variety of FF flavors based on a post from Phil P. One
> of them was Tuna.
>
> This morning he had a line of mucus in his eyes. He was at the vet 2
> weeks ago because of URI and similar eye discharge, put on clavamox and
> triple antibiotics eye ointment.
>
> Last week, I thought both issues had cleared up already, as the eyes
> discharge cleared up, the lower eyelid is no longer red.
>
> So the question is could the tuna has caused his eye irritation or his
> URI thing is coming back?

Could be, but IME fish allergies cause vomiting - it's really common
with tuna and salmon.

-L.

Phil P.
September 29th 05, 01:15 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yesterday I gave my kitten a treat of fancy feast, tuna flavored.
> Well, I buy a variety of FF flavors based on a post from Phil P. One
> of them was Tuna.
>
> This morning he had a line of mucus in his eyes. He was at the vet 2
> weeks ago because of URI and similar eye discharge, put on clavamox and
> triple antibiotics eye ointment.
>
> Last week, I thought both issues had cleared up already, as the eyes
> discharge cleared up, the lower eyelid is no longer red.
>
> So the question is could the tuna has caused his eye irritation or his
> URI thing is coming back?

Cats that recover from URIs caused by the feline herpesvirus usually become
chronic carriers and often have no symptoms other than occasional signs of
conjunctivitis.

Although fish has been incriminated as a food allergen, I don't think your
cat had an adverse reaction to the food. Adverse food reactions usually
cause dermatologic or gastrointestinal problems.

Phil