PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do with strays in your neighborhood?

Brian Link
September 29th 05, 03:25 AM
There's a un-fixed tom wandering our neighborhood that gets our cats
all whipped up.

I've watched him for a few weeks and he's always run away. Tonight
though it's pretty cold here, and we saw him when we pulled into our
driveway. He meowed and came right up to be petted.

My guess is that he's stray. We can't take another cat in, having just
recently reached equilibrium with our newest addition.

I took one of Megan's old ideas, and taped a paper collar on him
saying "is this your cat? Call me at xxxxxx". We'll see if anyone
spots it.

As it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I'd like to hear your ideas
and experiences with helping strays. Thanks

BLink

-L.
September 29th 05, 06:03 AM
Brian Link wrote:
> There's a un-fixed tom wandering our neighborhood that gets our cats
> all whipped up.
>
> I've watched him for a few weeks and he's always run away. Tonight
> though it's pretty cold here, and we saw him when we pulled into our
> driveway. He meowed and came right up to be petted.
>
> My guess is that he's stray. We can't take another cat in, having just
> recently reached equilibrium with our newest addition.
>
> I took one of Megan's old ideas, and taped a paper collar on him
> saying "is this your cat? Call me at xxxxxx". We'll see if anyone
> spots it.
>
> As it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I'd like to hear your ideas
> and experiences with helping strays. Thanks
>
> BLink

I have TTVRN'ed cats - trap, test, vaccinate, neuter and release -
whether or not they are owned. If they are on my property, they are
fair game. If it got really cold, I have taken them to the Humane
Society (when I lived in Indy). I have also had heated outdoor
sleeping quarters for TTVRN'ed cats in the wintertime.

-L.

Candace
September 29th 05, 07:13 AM
Brian Link wrote:

> As it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I'd like to hear your ideas
> and experiences with helping strays. Thanks
>
> BLink

I live in AZ so cold isn't really an issue here. It does get sort of
cold at night in the winter and I have a chair outside that I put a
towel and heating pad on if I have a cat who is a "regular." What I do
for strays--we live in an urban area and seem to get a lot--is feed
them, try to tame them, then get them fixed and try to home them or try
to get them into a no-kill facility. If I feel a situation is grave,
like a female cat in season, I trap them. If I can't home them or get
them into a shelter, I try to nab them to get them fixed and then just
provide them food, water, and their heated chair. If they want some
attention, they get it. Otherwise I leave them alone.

In your case, he's tame so I would be trying to find if he has a home
as you are doing but give him food and water meantime and rig up some
sort of heated thing or enclosure. I would definitely try to get him
off the streets before winter gets here.

Candace

Ajanta
September 29th 05, 07:34 PM
-L. > wrote:

: I have TTVRN'ed cats - trap, test, vaccinate, neuter and release -
: whether or not they are owned. If they are on my property, they are
: fair game. If it got really cold, I have taken them to the Humane
: Society (when I lived in Indy). I have also had heated outdoor
: sleeping quarters for TTVRN'ed cats in the wintertime.

As I mention in another thread, I am feeding a stray/homeless now and
worrying about providing some shelter during our Midwestern winters. I
can't afford anything expensive, don't even know if she would need it
or use it.

My initial plan: Two styrofoam coolers one inside other (to double up
insulation), a hole cut out for entry/exit, a layer of blankets with
the microwavable snuggle pad under them. I can cover the entrance with
hanging strips of plastic the way they have in some grocery store
freezers.

Do I need extra insulation between boxes? Or, at the other extreme, is
one box enough? Is styrofoam is sufficiently wind- and water-proof
against harsh high velocity drafts or do I need to line it with plastic?

Because of your experience I'd appreciate all comments.

-L.
September 30th 05, 06:18 AM
Ajanta wrote:
> -L. > wrote:
>
> : I have TTVRN'ed cats - trap, test, vaccinate, neuter and release -
> : whether or not they are owned. If they are on my property, they are
> : fair game. If it got really cold, I have taken them to the Humane
> : Society (when I lived in Indy). I have also had heated outdoor
> : sleeping quarters for TTVRN'ed cats in the wintertime.
>
> As I mention in another thread, I am feeding a stray/homeless now and
> worrying about providing some shelter during our Midwestern winters. I
> can't afford anything expensive, don't even know if she would need it
> or use it.
>
> My initial plan: Two styrofoam coolers one inside other (to double up
> insulation), a hole cut out for entry/exit, a layer of blankets with
> the microwavable snuggle pad under them. I can cover the entrance with
> hanging strips of plastic the way they have in some grocery store
> freezers.
>
> Do I need extra insulation between boxes? Or, at the other extreme, is
> one box enough? Is styrofoam is sufficiently wind- and water-proof
> against harsh high velocity drafts or do I need to line it with plastic?
>
> Because of your experience I'd appreciate all comments.

A cat carrier with styrofoam wrapped around it is a better solution -
if that's not feasible, I think the set-up you have is sufficient - she
will either use it or not. I would put it in a secluded place where it
has no chance of tipping over. What I used to do is buy Dogloos and
put them under the bushes - with straw as bedding. They stayed warm
enough except for the coldest of nights - and then I would open my
garage a bit and let them in.

HTH,
-L.

September 30th 05, 08:08 PM
Brian Link wrote:
> it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I'd like to hear your ideas
> and experiences with helping strays. Thanks

A shovel round the back of it's head!

> BLink

ojaeri
October 1st 05, 11:20 AM
Hugs for Homeless Animals
www.h4ha.org/shelters/
A worldwide directory of rescue organizations, shelters and humane
societies.

First, find if he belongs to anyone in the area. If not, the above site,
click on your state, and each of the numbers for listings. There are no
many, there no need to pick a kill shelter anymore. Lots of available
rescue groups and no-kill shelters to pick from.

Linda Terrell
October 3rd 05, 04:28 PM
In article >,
Brian Link > wrote:

> There's a un-fixed tom wandering our neighborhood that gets our cats
> all whipped up.
>
> I've watched him for a few weeks and he's always run away. Tonight
> though it's pretty cold here, and we saw him when we pulled into our
> driveway. He meowed and came right up to be petted.
>
> My guess is that he's stray. We can't take another cat in, having just
> recently reached equilibrium with our newest addition.
>
> I took one of Megan's old ideas, and taped a paper collar on him
> saying "is this your cat? Call me at xxxxxx". We'll see if anyone
> spots it.
>
> As it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I'd like to hear your ideas
> and experiences with helping strays. Thanks
>
> BLink

We don't have strays -- we have coyotes...

LT

Brian Link
October 3rd 05, 08:50 PM
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:28:26 GMT, Linda Terrell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Brian Link > wrote:
>
>> There's a un-fixed tom wandering our neighborhood that gets our cats
>> all whipped up.
>>
>> I've watched him for a few weeks and he's always run away. Tonight
>> though it's pretty cold here, and we saw him when we pulled into our
>> driveway. He meowed and came right up to be petted.
>>
>> My guess is that he's stray. We can't take another cat in, having just
>> recently reached equilibrium with our newest addition.
>>
>> I took one of Megan's old ideas, and taped a paper collar on him
>> saying "is this your cat? Call me at xxxxxx". We'll see if anyone
>> spots it.
>>
>> As it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I'd like to hear your ideas
>> and experiences with helping strays. Thanks
>>
>> BLink
>

>We don't have strays -- we have coyotes...
>
>LT

Gah. That would do it, all right.. =/

BLink

Wendy
October 8th 05, 12:16 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> There's a un-fixed tom wandering our neighborhood that gets our cats
> all whipped up.
>
> I've watched him for a few weeks and he's always run away. Tonight
> though it's pretty cold here, and we saw him when we pulled into our
> driveway. He meowed and came right up to be petted.
>
> My guess is that he's stray. We can't take another cat in, having just
> recently reached equilibrium with our newest addition.
>
> I took one of Megan's old ideas, and taped a paper collar on him
> saying "is this your cat? Call me at xxxxxx". We'll see if anyone
> spots it.
>
> As it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I'd like to hear your ideas
> and experiences with helping strays. Thanks
>
> BLink

If you continue to see this cat wandering around either check on the link
another posted or go to Petfinder.com and located rescue groups. Scan the
list you get for groups in your area and call them all (no kill). You'll
probably be told they have a waiting list, get on all of them and see who
can help you with this cat first. In the mean time if you are committed to
trying to help this guy, start feeding in a sheltered location and see if
you can build trust with him. If you have some way of providing a shelter
for him of course do that as well. You could set up a shelter in an area
where your resident cats would be least likely to see him and maybe reduce
the tension in you house as well - or not lol. What you need to do if you
choose is keep this guy provided for and work on his socialization until a
rescue group has the resources to work with you.