PDA

View Full Version : Re: CAT ATTACKS KID!

jmc
October 2nd 05, 03:28 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Beth exclaimed (02-Oct-05 2:47 PM):
> "Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
>
>>Beth wrote:
>>

>>>All aggression is fear. All fear is caused by mishandling.
>>>
>>>I know you're a troll...but that's just not true. My cat pounces at me
>>>sometimes but she's playing. I let her do it when she was little and let
>>>her bite on my hands because it didn't hurt and I didn't think much of it
>>>when she just laid on my lap and nibbled my fingers. Now, she thinks she
>>>can do it all the time.
>>
>>...and that is because you allowed the habit to form when your cat was a
>>kitten. The message was: This behavior is okay.
>>
>>This is exactly why she thinks this behavior is okay now. You will have a
>>very difficult time changing this.
>>

>>>It's not fear or aggression. She thinks she's playing with me. She has
>>>never done it to anyone else. She just thinks that's how she and I play.
>
> Oh I know that's why she thinks it's ok. She was my first pet and I thought
> it was just cute when she was a kitten :) My reflexes have gotten better
> and she rarely gets skin anymore. When she tries to bite at my arms I move
> them and tell her no very loudly. She usually stops trying to bite then.
> Now she usually just jumps up at me when she's excited and taps me with her
> paws. She doesn't do the biting thing as often. She used to break skin,
> but she hasn't done that in months. She's only about 1 1/2 yrs old.

I'm not quite sure what went on in my cat's furry little mind, but she
some how sorted out that while biting was not on, licking was OK. So
for quite a while, when she'd go to bite me - quick head movement and
all that - she'd end up licking me furiously instead. It was very cute!

jmc

Beth
October 2nd 05, 03:36 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Beth exclaimed (02-Oct-05 2:47 PM):

>>>...and that is because you allowed the habit to form when your cat was a
>>>kitten. The message was: This behavior is okay.
>>>
>>>This is exactly why she thinks this behavior is okay now. You will have a
>>>very difficult time changing this.

>> Oh I know that's why she thinks it's ok. She was my first pet and I
>> thought it was just cute when she was a kitten :) My reflexes have
>> gotten better and she rarely gets skin anymore. When she tries to bite
>> at my arms I move them and tell her no very loudly. She usually stops
>> trying to bite then. Now she usually just jumps up at me when she's
>> excited and taps me with her paws. She doesn't do the biting thing as
>> often. She used to break skin, but she hasn't done that in months.
>> She's only about 1 1/2 yrs old.
>
> I'm not quite sure what went on in my cat's furry little mind, but she
> some how sorted out that while biting was not on, licking was OK. So for
> quite a while, when she'd go to bite me - quick head movement and all
> that - she'd end up licking me furiously instead. It was very cute!
>
> jmc

Awe, that is cute! Mine sometimes licks me after trying to bite me. I
think it's her way of saying that she's sorry for trying to take my arm off
:)

Patrick I. McCurry
February 17th 06, 12:46 PM
jmc > wrote in
:

> Suddenly, without warning, Beth exclaimed (02-Oct-05 2:47 PM):

>>>...and that is because you allowed the habit to form when your cat
>>>was a kitten. The message was: This behavior is okay.
>>>
>>>This is exactly why she thinks this behavior is okay now. You will
>>>have a very difficult time changing this.

She

>> Oh I know that's why she thinks it's ok. She was my first pet and
>> thought it was just cute when she was a kitten :) My reflexes
have
>> gotten better and she rarely gets skin anymore. When she tries to
>> bite at my arms I move them and tell her no very loudly. She
usually
>> stops trying to bite then. Now she usually just jumps up at me
when
>> she's excited and taps me with her paws. She doesn't do the
biting
>> thing as often. She used to break skin, but she hasn't done that
in
>> months. She's only about 1 1/2 yrs old.
>>

> I'm not quite sure what went on in my cat's furry little mind, but
she
> some how sorted out that while biting was not on, licking was OK.
So
> for quite a while, when she'd go to bite me - quick head movement
and
> all that - she'd end up licking me furiously instead. It was very
> cute!
>
> jmc

I have a cat that loves to bite, kick scratch, and lick. Her name's
Fireball of course. She's the only cat I know that needs to be
annoyed
periodically for her own happiness. She also will exaggerate any
accident to get sympathy.

My other cat, an enormously strong 15 pound lean male that, while
terrified of everything, will sometimes scratch me accidently with
his
extra toes. He doesn't want me to stop petting so soon.

During a severe allergy induced seizure he bit me full on the arm a
fewimes in quick succession. The scar if barely noticeable, and he
had
unusually large fang sized canines.

That is the only time a cat has ever done more than create a minor
itch.
I just don't see how an animal can injure something 10 to 20 times
its
size.

Patrick I. McCurry
February 17th 06, 01:37 PM
"D." > wrote in news:G%iJf.12833
:

> You simply may not scar easily. Hodge has bitten me hard several
times;
> I don't scar very easily, but I do have many scars. I have a
sizeable
> one on my thigh where he bit off a chunk of flesh and which became
> mildly infected and took longer to heal. When I first got him and
he
> would attack and not let go, it was scary because they are
surprisingly
> strong (animals have much more efficient muscles than humans) and
> tenacious, and a few times I lost some blood (not like being bitten
in
> "quick succession" -- a furious cat bites and hangs on, and is
smart
> enough to go for vulnerable spots). I don't have any systemic
diseases,
> so I healed pretty quickly -- quickly not being as quickly as other
> wounds, because they are bites. I wouldn't be dismissive, not
having had
> some experience.

It's late so I'm probably writing things in a more impulsive manner
than I intend.

Yeah, on second thought, I do have rather thick skin and am rather
robust in lean mass. (I also have a bit of mass on top of that.)
But believe me when Cerberus seized, his teeth were not holding back
at all.

Humans are animals, so trying to create a qualitative difference
where there is none is more anthropomorphism than I would expect on a
pet loving newsgroup.

Evolution adapted felines to ambush hunting. Their bodies specialize
in fast twitch muscle fibers and high burst strength but low
endurance. This makes them look stronger overall than they really
are.
Pound for pound muscles are pretty much the same across the board in
animals.
Due to bone and muscle attachment points humans give up a lot of
brute force but gain precision movement with the same muscle mass.

Upscale
February 17th 06, 01:39 PM
"D." > wrote in message
> so I healed pretty quickly -- quickly not being as quickly as other
> wounds, because they are bites. I wouldn't be dismissive, not having had
> some experience.

My Deetoo at 11 months old doesn't scratch or bite much any more. When she
first started it, I'd wrestle her back grabbing her stomach and tapping her
nose with a finger. It got to the point where she'd go full force and I'd
have to pull my hand away, but I'd keep up the wrestling and now she knows
that if she wrestles, she's going to get more in return, so it doesn't
happen much anymore. The only time she bites now is when she's licking my
hand and sometimes it turns into a playful bite witch doesn't hurt at all
except when she gets one of my finger in her rear teeth. That I'm now
careful to avoid, but the rest is just playful fun.

-L.
February 17th 06, 07:06 PM
Patrick I. McCurry wrote:

> It's late so I'm probably writing things in a more impulsive manner
> than I intend.
>
> Yeah, on second thought, I do have rather thick skin and am rather
> robust in lean mass. (I also have a bit of mass on top of that.)
> But believe me when Cerberus seized, his teeth were not holding back
> at all.

Contractions while seizuring (the proper word is seizuring - not
seizing) are completely different that a full-blown purposeful bite. A
cat that wanted to bite you *would* break the skin.

Why did you reply to a post that was over 4 months old, anyway? Just
curious.

-L.

Patrick I. McCurry
February 18th 06, 09:06 AM
"-L." > wrote in
oups.com:

> Patrick I. McCurry wrote:
>>
>> It's late so I'm probably writing things in a more impulsive
manner
>> than I intend.
>>
>> Yeah, on second thought, I do have rather thick skin and am rather
>> robust in lean mass. (I also have a bit of mass on top of that.)
>> But believe me when Cerberus seized, his teeth were not holding
back
>> at all.
>
> Contractions while seizuring (the proper word is seizuring - not
> seizing) are completely different that a full-blown purposeful
bite. A
> cat that wanted to bite you *would* break the skin.
>
> Why did you reply to a post that was over 4 months old, anyway?
Just
> curious.
>
> -L.

I only recently activated my server, and this is the first time that
I've seen this newsgroup. I'm still practicing this whole posting
thing.

I, intellectually, know that it's siezuring, but I just hate how that
sounds.

Believe me when Cerberus chomped, there was no bite strength held in
reserve. It broke the skin and bled, but just left the barest hint
of a scar.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm belittling those attacked by
housecats gone batsh*t crazy. I know that it came out that way.