PDA

View Full Version : Biting cat

J King
October 3rd 05, 10:56 PM
Hi

I've recently befriended a stray that has been hanging around my barn. He's
gotten very attached to me, following me everywhere. He craves attention.
Lately he has begun biting me. I never see it coming. It's not a hard
bite...more like a nip. The more he trusts me the more he bites me. He is
getting neutred tomorrow. Anyone know what may be going on here?

Joanne

PawsForThought
October 4th 05, 02:09 AM
J King wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've recently befriended a stray that has been hanging around my barn. He's
> gotten very attached to me, following me everywhere. He craves attention.
> Lately he has begun biting me. I never see it coming. It's not a hard
> bite...more like a nip. The more he trusts me the more he bites me. He is
> getting neutred tomorrow. Anyone know what may be going on here?
>
> Joanne

He's not breaking the skin, right? Sounds like "love" bites and may be
his way of showing affection. My cat Mickey was a biter too. When he
would bite, I would blow in his face and tell him "no bite". That
pretty much stopped it, although once in a while he will bite, but now
it's only a nip.

Congrats on your new kitty :)

Lauren

J King
October 4th 05, 09:33 AM
Hi Lauren

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. I've never heard of it happening
before though. The only time he ever broke the skin was when he bit my
face:-( He never breaks the skin on my hands.

I don't know if I need Congratulations or Condolences! I'm convinced there
is a lineup of cats waiting for one of mine to die so that they can get
their turn to come live with me! Everytime I go below 6, another one shows
up to pull on my heart strings and I go back up to 6. This one HAS to stay
a barn cat! I already have 2 males in the house and bringing in another
will be war.

Joanne

"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> J King wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've recently befriended a stray that has been hanging around my barn.
>> He's
>> gotten very attached to me, following me everywhere. He craves
>> attention.
>> Lately he has begun biting me. I never see it coming. It's not a hard
>> bite...more like a nip. The more he trusts me the more he bites me. He
>> is
>> getting neutred tomorrow. Anyone know what may be going on here?
>>
>> Joanne
>
> He's not breaking the skin, right? Sounds like "love" bites and may be
> his way of showing affection. My cat Mickey was a biter too. When he
> would bite, I would blow in his face and tell him "no bite". That
> pretty much stopped it, although once in a while he will bite, but now
> it's only a nip.
>
> Congrats on your new kitty :)
>
> Lauren

J King
October 4th 05, 10:45 PM
Well actually he gets more attention than the horses so I don't think that's
it:-) He was neutered today so he's not in a biting mood right now.

"Nomen Nescio" ]> wrote in message

Rhonda
October 5th 05, 04:06 AM
Some cats get over-stimulated and will give a sudden nip in the middle
of all of the attention. It's like they're so excited they don't know
what to do.

We have a biter like that, he was a barn cat for 10 years. He probably
didn't get a lot of attention.

I just yell every time he bites, and he's not doing it as much.

Rhonda

J King wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've recently befriended a stray that has been hanging around my barn. He's
> gotten very attached to me, following me everywhere. He craves attention.
> Lately he has begun biting me. I never see it coming. It's not a hard
> bite...more like a nip. The more he trusts me the more he bites me. He is
> getting neutred tomorrow. Anyone know what may be going on here?
>
> Joanne

Lumpy
October 5th 05, 04:15 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Some cats get over-stimulated and will give a sudden nip in the middle
> of all of the attention. It's like they're so excited they don't know
> what to do.

My sweet little 6-lb tabby Lacey, who has been with us for three years just
started
spitting--SPITTING, not hissing--when she gets overstimulated. She only does
it
when my husband is petting her. I have never heard a cat spit this way
before.
Afterward she seems a bit confused, but gets over it in a matter of seconds
and seeks more petting.

J King
October 5th 05, 09:31 AM
This sure seems like what is happening. I know he seems very appreciative
of having a home in my barn. I guess I'll just have to put up with it and
be careful:-) He's a really sweet cat. But I am the only human that he
trusts.

Joanne

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Some cats get over-stimulated and will give a sudden nip in the middle of
> all of the attention. It's like they're so excited they don't know what to
> do.
>
> We have a biter like that, he was a barn cat for 10 years. He probably
> didn't get a lot of attention.
>
> I just yell every time he bites, and he's not doing it as much.
>
> Rhonda
>
> J King wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've recently befriended a stray that has been hanging around my barn.
>> He's gotten very attached to me, following me everywhere. He craves
>> attention. Lately he has begun biting me. I never see it coming. It's
>> not a hard bite...more like a nip. The more he trusts me the more he
>> bites me. He is getting neutred tomorrow. Anyone know what may be going
>> on here?
>>
>> Joanne

Rhonda
October 7th 05, 04:30 AM
That's pretty funny. I love to hear a cat spit, ours kittens used to do
that in play. Cats think they are so tough when they spit.

Rhonda

Lumpy wrote:

> My sweet little 6-lb tabby Lacey, who has been with us for three years just
> started
> spitting--SPITTING, not hissing--when she gets overstimulated. She only does
> it
> when my husband is petting her. I have never heard a cat spit this way
> before.
> Afterward she seems a bit confused, but gets over it in a matter of seconds
> and seeks more petting.

Lumpy
October 7th 05, 06:32 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> That's pretty funny. I love to hear a cat spit, ours kittens used to do
> that in play. Cats think they are so tough when they spit.

hee hee, yes, she does indeed appear to think she is very
fearsome!