PDA

View Full Version : SH!T !!!!!!!!!!!

Candace
October 4th 05, 03:02 AM
The little monster got away from me. A cute little orange/white kitty
showed up in my yard on Saturday out of the blue, very chatty, begging
to eat, and never left my yard again. I can't bring him in because I
have a cat separation issue going on inside anyway. So I've fed him,
of course, and made up some beds for him outside and he seemed sort of
content, albeit chatty.

He's only about 6 mos. old so I don't want him out there but you know
how hard it is to get kitties into no kill shelters, rescues, or homes.
So today at work, I placed a found ad in the paper, a found ad on the
internet, and called the group that I got Marbles from and who also
took another little stray kitty I had in my yard in April from me. At
that time, I gave $100 donation to them for taking her.

Today I contacted them and they had changed their policy. Before they
required some paperwork and a $25 surrender fee. Now they require that
you get the cat vaccinated, keep it for another 2 weeks, and then they
will take it with a $50 surrender fee. They are the group who
pirmarily adopts out of Petsmarts here in the Phoenix area and I know
they are inundated...especially now. I begged and pleaded and asked if
they would take him immediately if I gave them $100 instead. They
thought about it and called me back and said yes. I had to get him to
the foster home by 6pm so I left work early, after making up some lie,
drove home, no sign of him. But signs that our yard guy had been
digging up our sprinkler system which was not planned for today. I'm
sure he scared the little tyke off.

I caught a glimpse of him running down the alley and he whipped into my
yard but acted scared and kept going. Now it's dark and no sign of
him. It's after 6 so he won't be going there tonight. Who knows if
I'll ever even see him again. I can't leave work early any of the rest
of the week so unless I can take him in early in the a.m. he won't be
going until Sat. anyway. I'm so depressed--if I had known I could take
him in today I would have kept him in a carrier overnight last night
but last time they took a stray from me, I had to wait several days. I
also didn't think he'd leave my yard but he did. I now have a big dog
carrier ready if he comes back and if I can nab him and stick him in
there he will remain until I can take him back there...hopefully
tomorrow morning. But that's a lot of "ifs." It's so discouraging to
have it all lined up and then have it fall apart.

Candace

Karen
October 4th 05, 04:32 AM
On 2005-10-03 21:02:11 -0500, "Candace" > said:

> The little monster got away from me. A cute little orange/white kitty
> showed up in my yard on Saturday out of the blue, very chatty, begging
> to eat, and never left my yard again. I can't bring him in because I
> have a cat separation issue going on inside anyway. So I've fed him,
> of course, and made up some beds for him outside and he seemed sort of
> content, albeit chatty.
>
> He's only about 6 mos. old so I don't want him out there but you know
> how hard it is to get kitties into no kill shelters, rescues, or homes.
> So today at work, I placed a found ad in the paper, a found ad on the
> internet, and called the group that I got Marbles from and who also
> took another little stray kitty I had in my yard in April from me. At
> that time, I gave $100 donation to them for taking her.
>
> Today I contacted them and they had changed their policy. Before they
> required some paperwork and a $25 surrender fee. Now they require that
> you get the cat vaccinated, keep it for another 2 weeks, and then they
> will take it with a $50 surrender fee. They are the group who
> pirmarily adopts out of Petsmarts here in the Phoenix area and I know
> they are inundated...especially now. I begged and pleaded and asked if
> they would take him immediately if I gave them $100 instead. They
> thought about it and called me back and said yes. I had to get him to
> the foster home by 6pm so I left work early, after making up some lie,
> drove home, no sign of him. But signs that our yard guy had been
> digging up our sprinkler system which was not planned for today. I'm
> sure he scared the little tyke off.
>
> I caught a glimpse of him running down the alley and he whipped into my
> yard but acted scared and kept going. Now it's dark and no sign of
> him. It's after 6 so he won't be going there tonight. Who knows if
> I'll ever even see him again. I can't leave work early any of the rest
> of the week so unless I can take him in early in the a.m. he won't be
> going until Sat. anyway. I'm so depressed--if I had known I could take
> him in today I would have kept him in a carrier overnight last night
> but last time they took a stray from me, I had to wait several days. I
> also didn't think he'd leave my yard but he did. I now have a big dog
> carrier ready if he comes back and if I can nab him and stick him in
> there he will remain until I can take him back there...hopefully
> tomorrow morning. But that's a lot of "ifs." It's so discouraging to
> have it all lined up and then have it fall apart.
>
> Candace

Oh bummer. But I bet you can get him yet. Keep us posted.

Charlie Wilkes
October 4th 05, 05:28 AM
On 3 Oct 2005 19:02:11 -0700, "Candace" > wrote:

>I caught a glimpse of him running down the alley and he whipped into my
>yard but acted scared and kept going. Now it's dark and no sign of
>him. It's after 6 so he won't be going there tonight. Who knows if
>I'll ever even see him again. I can't leave work early any of the rest
>of the week so unless I can take him in early in the a.m. he won't be
>going until Sat. anyway. I'm so depressed--if I had known I could take
>him in today I would have kept him in a carrier overnight last night
>but last time they took a stray from me, I had to wait several days. I
>also didn't think he'd leave my yard but he did. I now have a big dog
>carrier ready if he comes back and if I can nab him and stick him in
>there he will remain until I can take him back there...hopefully
>tomorrow morning. But that's a lot of "ifs." It's so discouraging to
>have it all lined up and then have it fall apart.

Don't think of it as losing a cat, Candace... think of it as finding a
$100 bill on the sidewalk.

I'll bet he will be back tonight or tomorrow.

Charlie

October 4th 05, 02:22 PM
Candace wrote:
> The little monster got away from me. A cute little orange/white kitty
> showed up in my yard on Saturday out of the blue, very chatty, begging
> to eat, and never left my yard again. I can't bring him in because I
> have a cat separation issue going on inside anyway. So I've fed him,
> of course, and made up some beds for him outside and he seemed sort of
> content, albeit chatty.
>
> He's only about 6 mos. old so I don't want him out there but you know
> how hard it is to get kitties into no kill shelters, rescues, or homes.
> So today at work, I placed a found ad in the paper, a found ad on the
> internet, and called the group that I got Marbles from and who also
> took another little stray kitty I had in my yard in April from me. At
> that time, I gave $100 donation to them for taking her.
>
> Today I contacted them and they had changed their policy. Before they
> required some paperwork and a $25 surrender fee. Now they require that
> you get the cat vaccinated, keep it for another 2 weeks, and then they
> will take it with a $50 surrender fee. They are the group who
> pirmarily adopts out of Petsmarts here in the Phoenix area and I know
> they are inundated...especially now. I begged and pleaded and asked if
> they would take him immediately if I gave them $100 instead. They
> thought about it and called me back and said yes. I had to get him to
> the foster home by 6pm so I left work early, after making up some lie,
> drove home, no sign of him. But signs that our yard guy had been
> digging up our sprinkler system which was not planned for today. I'm
> sure he scared the little tyke off.
>
> I caught a glimpse of him running down the alley and he whipped into my
> yard but acted scared and kept going. Now it's dark and no sign of
> him. It's after 6 so he won't be going there tonight. Who knows if
> I'll ever even see him again. I can't leave work early any of the rest
> of the week so unless I can take him in early in the a.m. he won't be
> going until Sat. anyway. I'm so depressed--if I had known I could take
> him in today I would have kept him in a carrier overnight last night
> but last time they took a stray from me, I had to wait several days. I
> also didn't think he'd leave my yard but he did. I now have a big dog
> carrier ready if he comes back and if I can nab him and stick him in
> there he will remain until I can take him back there...hopefully
> tomorrow morning. But that's a lot of "ifs." It's so discouraging to
> have it all lined up and then have it fall apart.
>
> Candace

Just saw your post, Candace--has he shown up yet? I'm betting he does.
Your H.S. is pretty strict about incomings--but it looks like money
talks! Good for you for trying and getting the rules bent.
We talk about relinquishment fees at about every board meeting. We
always vote it down, so far, incomings are just handled with "donations
appreciated". I understand why H.S.'s implement a fee, but looking
around the kind of people we deal with, I'm afraid if we require a fee,
they'd leave with the animal and dump it on the side of the road
somewhere. Better they give it to us.

Sherry

Candace
October 5th 05, 03:12 AM
wrote:

> Just saw your post, Candace--has he shown up yet? I'm betting he does.
> Your H.S. is pretty strict about incomings--but it looks like money
> talks! Good for you for trying and getting the rules bent.
> We talk about relinquishment fees at about every board meeting. We
> always vote it down, so far, incomings are just handled with "donations
> appreciated". I understand why H.S.'s implement a fee, but looking
> around the kind of people we deal with, I'm afraid if we require a fee,
> they'd leave with the animal and dump it on the side of the road
> somewhere. Better they give it to us.

Yes! He was back last night a little after 6, acting kinda scared, but
he calmed down, spent the night in the carport, was out there this a.m.
I called the rescue woman, asked if I could bring him in this morning
on my way to work. She said yes, I nabbed him after he ate, stuffed
him in a carrier. He was a good boy in the car, although scared, and
delivered him to the rescue. It's over (for me) and he's on his way to
a better life!!!!!! I'm very happy and relieved. He was a cutie.

Just to clarify, this was *not* our HS. The AZ Humane Society does
some really good things and is quite progressive in many ways, 24 hr.
emergency ambulance service, etc. but they are a kill shelter and I
don't take animals there anymore. I used to when I lived in an apt.
and always came across strays but I couldn't do it anymore. This group
is called HALO (Helping Animals Live On) and they're very good. My
evil kitty, Marbles, is from them.

http://www.halorescue.org/

Candace

Hobart
October 5th 05, 05:08 PM
On 4 Oct 2005 19:12:00 -0700, "Candace" > wrote:

wrote:

>> Just saw your post, Candace--has he shown up yet? I'm betting he does.
>> Your H.S. is pretty strict about incomings--but it looks like money
>> talks! Good for you for trying and getting the rules bent.
>> We talk about relinquishment fees at about every board meeting. We
>> always vote it down, so far, incomings are just handled with "donations
>> appreciated". I understand why H.S.'s implement a fee, but looking
>> around the kind of people we deal with, I'm afraid if we require a fee,
>> they'd leave with the animal and dump it on the side of the road
>> somewhere. Better they give it to us.
>
>Yes! He was back last night a little after 6, acting kinda scared, but
>he calmed down, spent the night in the carport, was out there this a.m.
> I called the rescue woman, asked if I could bring him in this morning
>on my way to work. She said yes, I nabbed him after he ate, stuffed
>him in a carrier. He was a good boy in the car, although scared, and
>delivered him to the rescue. It's over (for me) and he's on his way to
>a better life!!!!!! I'm very happy and relieved. He was a cutie.
>
>Just to clarify, this was *not* our HS. The AZ Humane Society does
>some really good things and is quite progressive in many ways, 24 hr.
>emergency ambulance service, etc. but they are a kill shelter and I
>don't take animals there anymore. I used to when I lived in an apt.
>and always came across strays but I couldn't do it anymore. This group
>is called HALO (Helping Animals Live On) and they're very good. My
>evil kitty, Marbles, is from them.
>
>http://www.halorescue.org/
>
>Candace

Hi sweety, Computer is on the fritz, Don't know when I'll be back. I
hate Windows XP

Phil P.
October 5th 05, 07:49 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm afraid if we require a fee,
> they'd leave with the animal and dump it on the side of the road
> somewhere. Better they give it to us.

Absolutely. Surrender fees are a very bad idea. Many people who surrender
cats don't want to pay a fee to get rid of a cat they don't want- especially
if the cat is being surrendered for destructive behavior or aggression.

Some shelters implement surrender fees just to reduce admissions-- which
only encourages people to dump and abandon animals or dispose of them
cruelly.

Phil.

Candace
October 6th 05, 05:28 AM
Hobart wrote:

> Hi sweety, Computer is on the fritz, Don't know when I'll be back. I
> hate Windows XP

You seem, hmmmm, somehow...familiar...

Candace