PDA

View Full Version : Cat's eye advice

Matthew Venhaus
October 4th 05, 04:27 AM
Jade had two visits to the vet last week and a couple of surgeries, but I'm
afraid she may be headed back again. Since after her surgeries (removal of
mass in throat area and microchiping), she has had trouble with her left
eye. Pictures are here:
=/5273

I'll be calling the vet tomorrow, but do y'all have any ideas about what is
going on?

Rhonda
October 4th 05, 06:28 AM
I know you're calling the vet tomorrow, but I'd get an appointment for
her right away. My first thought was infection, maybe something from the
surgery.

Is she on antibiotics?

Did this happen immediately after surgery? If so, I would ask them about
any damage that could have happened during the procedures. They may have
put something in her eye during surgery (maybe to keep them moist) that
did not agree with her.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Matthew Venhaus wrote:

> Jade had two visits to the vet last week and a couple of surgeries, but
> I'm afraid she may be headed back again. Since after her surgeries
> (removal of mass in throat area and microchiping), she has had trouble
> with her left eye. Pictures are here:
> =/5273
>
> I'll be calling the vet tomorrow, but do y'all have any ideas about what
> is going on?

Matthew Venhaus
October 13th 05, 04:10 PM
Matthew Venhaus > wrote in message
> Jade had two visits to the vet last week and a couple of surgeries,
but I'm
> afraid she may be headed back again. Since after her surgeries
(removal of
> mass in throat area and microchiping), she has had trouble with her
left
> eye. Pictures are here:

=/5273

> I'll be calling the vet tomorrow, but do y'all have any ideas about
what is
> going on?

Updating: Jade was diagnosed with Horner's (?) syndrome and the vet
suggested it would likely go away in a week or so. Yesterday, her eye
was back to normal. The mass removed from her throat was thyroid
tissue but I haven't yet noticed a decrease in activity or an increase
in appetite.

cybercat
October 13th 05, 07:12 PM
"Matthew Venhaus" >

> Updating: Jade was diagnosed with Horner's (?) syndrome and the vet
> suggested it would likely go away in a week or so. Yesterday, her eye
> was back to normal. The mass removed from her throat was thyroid
> tissue but I haven't yet noticed a decrease in activity or an increase
> in appetite.

I'm glad her eye condition is not serious. Did your vet do bloodwork
to see how her thyroid levels are?

Matthew Venhaus
October 13th 05, 08:50 PM
cybercat > wrote in message

> "Matthew Venhaus" >
>
> > Updating: Jade was diagnosed with Horner's (?) syndrome and the
vet
> > suggested it would likely go away in a week or so. Yesterday, her
eye
> > was back to normal. The mass removed from her throat was thyroid
> > tissue but I haven't yet noticed a decrease in activity or an
increase
> > in appetite.
> >
> I'm glad her eye condition is not serious. Did your vet do bloodwork
> to see how her thyroid levels are?

They were low, as suspected, but it is possible the gland will
increase production on it's own. Vet visits are very traumatic for
this cat (she came home extremely dehydrated), so unless there are
obvious symptoms I am going to assume this is what is happening.

cybercat
October 13th 05, 08:55 PM
"Matthew Venhaus" > wrote :

> > I'm glad her eye condition is not serious. Did your vet do bloodwork
> > to see how her thyroid levels are?
> >
> They were low, as suspected, but it is possible the gland will
> increase production on it's own.

I see, so they were taken after the surgery. I guess there was no
reason to take them before, or the vet saw no reason to.

>Vet visits are very traumatic for
> this cat (she came home extremely dehydrated)

I understand.

, so unless there are
> obvious symptoms I am going to assume this is what is happening.

I was more worried about hyperthyroid than hypothyroid, as I am
familiar with the dangers of the first condition. Tell me, did they take
much of
her thyroid? Or just the growth?

Candace
October 14th 05, 02:53 AM
Matthew Venhaus wrote:

> Updating: Jade was diagnosed with Horner's (?) syndrome and the vet
> suggested it would likely go away in a week or so. Yesterday, her eye
> was back to normal. The mass removed from her throat was thyroid
> tissue but I haven't yet noticed a decrease in activity or an increase
> in appetite.

That's great, I'm glad her eye problem was not serious.

Candace

Matthew Venhaus
October 14th 05, 03:48 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew Venhaus" > wrote :
>> > >

> I was more worried about hyperthyroid than hypothyroid, as I am
> familiar with the dangers of the first condition. Tell me, did they take
> much of
> her thyroid? Or just the growth?

None of her thyroid was removed, just the tumor.

Lumpy
October 14th 05, 11:11 AM
"Matthew Venhaus" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Matthew Venhaus" > wrote :
> >> > >

> > I was more worried about hyperthyroid than hypothyroid, as I am
> > familiar with the dangers of the first condition. Tell me, did they take
> > much of
> > her thyroid? Or just the growth?
> >
> None of her thyroid was removed, just the tumor.

Hmm. Then I wonder why her thyroid levels are testing low?

Matthew Venhaus
October 14th 05, 08:42 PM
Lumpy > wrote in message

> "Matthew Venhaus" > wrote in message
> >
> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Matthew Venhaus" > wrote :
> > >> > >

> > > I was more worried about hyperthyroid than hypothyroid, as I am
> > > familiar with the dangers of the first condition. Tell me, did
they take
> > > much of
> > > her thyroid? Or just the growth?
> > >
> > None of her thyroid was removed, just the tumor.
> >

> Hmm. Then I wonder why her thyroid levels are testing low?

Her thyroid levels were low one day after removing the thyroid tumor;
they haven't been tested since. I don't think a healthy thyroid gland
produces hormones indiscriminately. I don't know enough to know what
the regulation mechanism would be, but I'm fairly sure there is one.