PDA

View Full Version : Sick cat

s--p--o--n--i--x
October 4th 05, 02:07 PM
One of our cats ain't too well. (8 year old neutered male)

Recently he's lost a little weight. Since Friday he's been off his
food and lethargic.

The vet has taken a look and has found that he has mouth ulcers and
has a temp of 108F. However, the vet has tested for kidney problems,
FIV and leukaemia, so far all tests have come back negative.

The vet has given him a steriod/Vit B12/antibiotic injection and is
running further blood tests.

The vet is mystified and has so far refused to start a course of
antibiotics as it may "mask" any future tests. Personally, I'd like
him to go on a course of antibiotics straight away.

Any ideas as to what may be the problem? The cat had an infection
about two months ago *possibly* caused by tartar affecting the gums.
Is it possible that this has blown up again?

sponix

Gail
October 4th 05, 04:06 PM
Does he have these other symptoms as well?
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Ttz7harFV7UJ:www.winnfelinehealth.o rg/health/calici.html+mouth+ulcers+and+fever+%2Bcat&hl=en&start=3
"s--p--o--n--i--x" > wrote in message
> One of our cats ain't too well. (8 year old neutered male)
>
> Recently he's lost a little weight. Since Friday he's been off his
> food and lethargic.
>
> The vet has taken a look and has found that he has mouth ulcers and
> has a temp of 108F. However, the vet has tested for kidney problems,
> FIV and leukaemia, so far all tests have come back negative.
>
> The vet has given him a steriod/Vit B12/antibiotic injection and is
> running further blood tests.
>
> The vet is mystified and has so far refused to start a course of
> antibiotics as it may "mask" any future tests. Personally, I'd like
> him to go on a course of antibiotics straight away.
>
> Any ideas as to what may be the problem? The cat had an infection
> about two months ago *possibly* caused by tartar affecting the gums.
> Is it possible that this has blown up again?
>
> sponix

--s-p-o-n-i-x--
October 4th 05, 08:27 PM
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:06:23 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>Does he have these other symptoms as well?
>http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Ttz7harFV7UJ:www.winnfelinehealth.o rg/health/calici.html+mouth+ulcers+and+fever+%2Bcat&hl=en&start=3

Hmmm..he does have a couple of mouth ulcers and the associated
drooling. However, he isn't sneezing and there are no eye/nose
discharges. His breathing seems OK at the moment.

We saw the vet again tonight and he's currently working on the basis
that it *could* be a blood parasite. He's given him a different
antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory to see what happens.

In the meantime the blood tests continue and I'll def mention
calcivirus...I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

sponix

Kate
October 4th 05, 09:51 PM
Have your vet tested for Diabetes?

Im not saying it is Diabetes, but it can look like many other things,
before it gets really bad.

weight loss, off food and being lethargic can be early signs of diabetes
, but they can also be related to other things.

Watch out for a strange smell on the breathe ,
like pear drops or a chemically smell,
this is when its really bad i.e they are going into shock.

"s--p--o--n--i--x" > wrote in message
> One of our cats ain't too well. (8 year old neutered male)
>
> Recently he's lost a little weight. Since Friday he's been off his
> food and lethargic.
>
> The vet has taken a look and has found that he has mouth ulcers and
> has a temp of 108F. However, the vet has tested for kidney problems,
> FIV and leukaemia, so far all tests have come back negative.
>
> The vet has given him a steriod/Vit B12/antibiotic injection and is
> running further blood tests.
>
> The vet is mystified and has so far refused to start a course of
> antibiotics as it may "mask" any future tests. Personally, I'd like
> him to go on a course of antibiotics straight away.
>
> Any ideas as to what may be the problem? The cat had an infection
> about two months ago *possibly* caused by tartar affecting the gums.
> Is it possible that this has blown up again?
>
> sponix

Karen
October 5th 05, 02:58 AM
On 2005-10-04 08:07:49 -0500, (s--p--o--n--i--x) said:

> One of our cats ain't too well. (8 year old neutered male)
>
> Recently he's lost a little weight. Since Friday he's been off his
> food and lethargic.
>
> The vet has taken a look and has found that he has mouth ulcers and
> has a temp of 108F. However, the vet has tested for kidney problems,
> FIV and leukaemia, so far all tests have come back negative.
>
> The vet has given him a steriod/Vit B12/antibiotic injection and is
> running further blood tests.
>
> The vet is mystified and has so far refused to start a course of
> antibiotics as it may "mask" any future tests. Personally, I'd like
> him to go on a course of antibiotics straight away.
>
> Any ideas as to what may be the problem? The cat had an infection
> about two months ago *possibly* caused by tartar affecting the gums.
> Is it possible that this has blown up again?
> sponix

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT!!!!??? That is an insane fever. 104 is bad. Are
you sure about that?

Gail
October 5th 05, 03:25 AM
I would personally get another opinion form a different vet.
Gail
"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:06:23 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:
>
>>Does he have these other symptoms as well?
>>http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Ttz7harFV7UJ:www.winnfelinehealth.o rg/health/calici.html+mouth+ulcers+and+fever+%2Bcat&hl=en&start=3
>
> Hmmm..he does have a couple of mouth ulcers and the associated
> drooling. However, he isn't sneezing and there are no eye/nose
> discharges. His breathing seems OK at the moment.
>
> We saw the vet again tonight and he's currently working on the basis
> that it *could* be a blood parasite. He's given him a different
> antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory to see what happens.
>
> In the meantime the blood tests continue and I'll def mention
> calcivirus...I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.
>
> sponix

Rhonda
October 5th 05, 03:55 AM
That's what I thought! Our cat's temp was just over 104 during a bad
bout of pancreatitus. He was immediately admitted to the hospital and
put on fluids. They said one more degree, and his organs could start
"cooking" (whatever that means in the vet world.)

If the temp is that high, I hope he's hospitalized and they are taking
drastic measures to reduce it. He should be force-fed or on IV's too,
since cats can't go more than a day or two without eating before there
is some risks with their liver.

Good luck to your kitty,

Rhonda

Karen wrote:

> ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT!!!!??? That is an insane fever. 104 is bad. Are
> you sure about that?

s--p--o--n--i--x
October 5th 05, 08:47 AM
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:58:52 -0500, Karen > wrote:

>ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT!!!!??? That is an insane fever. 104 is bad. Are
>you sure about that?

Probably not.

When I spoke to the vey yesterday he said it'd dropped by half a
degree to (I think) 103?

sponix

s--p--o--n--i--x
October 5th 05, 08:50 AM
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:51:42 GMT, "Kate" >
wrote:

>Have your vet tested for Diabetes?
>
>Im not saying it is Diabetes, but it can look like many other things,
>before it gets really bad.
>
>weight loss, off food and being lethargic can be early signs of diabetes
>, but they can also be related to other things.

Would it lead to mouth ulcers an anaemia?

>Watch out for a strange smell on the breathe ,
>like pear drops or a chemically smell,

Just cat-breath at the moment.

sponix

s--p--o--n--i--x
October 5th 05, 01:37 PM
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 02:55:48 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>That's what I thought! Our cat's temp was just over 104 during a bad
>bout of pancreatitus. He was immediately admitted to the hospital and
>put on fluids. They said one more degree, and his organs could start
>"cooking" (whatever that means in the vet world.)

Not sure...it's bee a long couple of nights..

--s-p-o-n-i-x--
October 5th 05, 08:03 PM
Sadly, Jack was put to sleep at 4pm today UK time.

He was declining rapidly all day and reached the point where he was
being sick and couldn't stand. The vet phoned at 2pm to say that one
of the tests revealed he had advanced leukaemia.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated.

sponix

mlbriggs
October 5th 05, 08:13 PM
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:03:13 +0100, --s-p-o-n-i-x-- wrote:

> Sadly, Jack was put to sleep at 4pm today UK time.
>
> He was declining rapidly all day and reached the point where he was being
> sick and couldn't stand. The vet phoned at 2pm to say that one of the
> tests revealed he had advanced leukaemia.
>
> Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated.
>
> sponix

"Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
MLB

Gail
October 5th 05, 08:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.
Gail
"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" > wrote in message
> Sadly, Jack was put to sleep at 4pm today UK time.
>
> He was declining rapidly all day and reached the point where he was
> being sick and couldn't stand. The vet phoned at 2pm to say that one
> of the tests revealed he had advanced leukaemia.
>
> Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated.
>
> sponix

--s-p-o-n-i-x--
October 5th 05, 08:51 PM
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:18:45 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>I'm so sorry to hear this.
>Gail

:(

Obviously it's all come as a bit of a shock as we only noticed he was
unwell last week.

Topaz
October 5th 05, 10:55 PM
"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" > wrote in message
> Sadly, Jack was put to sleep at 4pm today UK time.
>
> He was declining rapidly all day and reached the point where he was
> being sick and couldn't stand. The vet phoned at 2pm to say that one
> of the tests revealed he had advanced leukaemia.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Karen
October 6th 05, 02:46 AM
On 2005-10-05 14:03:13 -0500, --s-p-o-n-i-x-- > said:

> Sadly, Jack was put to sleep at 4pm today UK time.
>
> He was declining rapidly all day and reached the point where he was
> being sick and couldn't stand. The vet phoned at 2pm to say that one
> of the tests revealed he had advanced leukaemia.
>
> Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated.
>
> sponix

Oh I am so sorry :(

Karen
October 6th 05, 02:47 AM
On 2005-10-05 14:51:23 -0500, --s-p-o-n-i-x-- > said:

> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:18:45 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:
>
>> I'm so sorry to hear this.
>> Gail
>
> :(
>
> Obviously it's all come as a bit of a shock as we only noticed he was
> unwell last week.

that is how it happens sometimes. My Grant (8 y.o.) seemed fine.
Started vomiting and within two weeks I had to let him go :( Stomach
cancer.

Lesley
October 6th 05, 10:46 AM
--s-p-o-n-i-x-- wrote:
> Sadly, Jack was put to sleep at 4pm today UK time.

So sorry to hear about Jack. Purrs being sent

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Wendy
October 7th 05, 01:08 PM
"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 19:18:45 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:
>
>>I'm so sorry to hear this.
>>Gail
>
> :(
>
> Obviously it's all come as a bit of a shock as we only noticed he was
> unwell last week.

So sorry for your loss.