PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic Cat

Kate
October 4th 05, 10:10 PM
I'm after some advice from anyone who has experience of caring for a
Diabetic Cat

We have 3 casts and the Oldest , 12, has been diagnosed with Diabetes.

She will now have to be on a perscription diet. But the other 2 can continue
to eat
as they usually do. The problem that we have is that they are house cats
and therefore
when we are at work, they have the run of the house, so how can we stop the
diabetic cat
from eating the other food?

Also, does anyone know if its possible to check pets glucose levels at home
rather than having to take them to the vets every 2 weeks for a blood test.
I know
people have a little "computer" which they can use at home to check their
levels,
is there any such thing for cats?

Thanks
Kate

Rhonda
October 5th 05, 04:13 AM
Hi Kate,

Keeping them out of each other's food can be tough. If you can do it,
serve the cats' meals at a specific time. Isolate the diabetic one from
the others while eating.

Wet food was recommended for our diabetic cat. If you are using dry and
free-feed, could you leave the diabetic dry out for everyone? Our cat
was pretty good about staying away from the other's dry food because he
had his fill of wet food. You could also serve them wet meals, but leave
a little diabetic dry out to nibble on during the day. Our vet wanted at
least some food out in case Bob's sugar went to low and he needed to eat
while we weren't there.

You can do bloodtests at home, using glucometers that you get at a drug
store. There's a great message board that helped me with all of my
diabetic cat questions here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/terms.htm.

They are experienced in every aspect of taking care of a diabetic cat.
They will have websites about blood testing, etc.

Good luck,

Rhonda