PDA

View Full Version : Cod liver oil?

Lesley
October 5th 05, 12:45 PM
Is this okay for cats? Sarrasine bolted with a capsule of it the othr
day and after batting it round for a bit ended up with her paws coated
in it. She licked it off and seemed to really be enjoying it. I
remember a friend of mine used to give her cat cod liver oil capsules
and swore it was great for the coat but is it a good idea to give them
one a day?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Phil P.
October 5th 05, 07:47 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is this okay for cats? Sarrasine bolted with a capsule of it the othr
> day and after batting it round for a bit ended up with her paws coated
> in it. She licked it off and seemed to really be enjoying it. I
> remember a friend of mine used to give her cat cod liver oil capsules
> and swore it was great for the coat but is it a good idea to give them
> one a day?

No! Cod liver oil is too high in vitamin A. The cat's liver stores vitamin
A thus daily vitamin A supplements have a cumulative effect that can lead to
hypervitaminosis A and bone disorders.

If you want to give your cat a treat for her coat, use an omega-3 supplement
made from menhaden fish oil.

Phil.

Lesley
October 6th 05, 09:48 AM

> No! Cod liver oil is too high in vitamin A. The cat's liver stores vitamin
> A thus daily vitamin A supplements have a cumulative effect that can lead to
> hypervitaminosis A and bone disorders.

Thanks

I did think I had heard something about vitamin A and bone disorders
which is why I asked. I guess one didn't do her any harm through
judging by the way she was bouncing around this morning but I won't let
her near them again

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

PawsForThought
October 6th 05, 07:29 PM
Lesley wrote:
> Is this okay for cats? Sarrasine bolted with a capsule of it the othr
> day and after batting it round for a bit ended up with her paws coated
> in it. She licked it off and seemed to really be enjoying it. I
> remember a friend of mine used to give her cat cod liver oil capsules
> and swore it was great for the coat but is it a good idea to give them
> one a day?
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Hi Lesley,
Cod liver oil is not recommended because of the high content of vitamin
A and the possibility for toxicity. You can add 1 capsule of whole
body fish oils instead. You can prick the capsule with fork or
something else that is sharp, and then dribble on the cat's food.