PDA

View Full Version : my cats thyroid

October 5th 05, 10:36 PM
The vet recently told us that our 14 year old calico cat has to get one
of her thyroids out. has anyone had this procedure done to their cat?

mashauk
October 13th 05, 12:30 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The vet recently told us that our 14 year old calico cat has to get one
> of her thyroids out. has anyone had this procedure done to their cat?

Yes, and he lost his miaow afterwards, just squeaks now. Also developed
diabetes afterwards, but don't know if that's connected or not, was the same
symptoms though, so a bit fishy if you'll pardon the pun.

mlbriggs
October 13th 05, 06:32 AM
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:30:32 +0000, mashauk wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> The vet recently told us that our 14 year old calico cat has to get one
>> of her thyroids out. has anyone had this procedure done to their cat?
>>

> Yes, and he lost his miaow afterwards, just squeaks now. Also developed
> diabetes afterwards, but don't know if that's connected or not, was the
> same symptoms though, so a bit fishy if you'll pardon the pun.

My Siamese became hyperthyroid at about 15 years of age, The doctor said
there was probably a tumor on her thyroid. He said surgery could remove
it IF it was only on one side of the gland. But if it were wrapped around
the gland, she chance was nil. We tried tapazol medication but it made
her deathly sick... I asked for an honest appraisal of her chance to live
through surgery and he said "none". So we let nature take her
course.Thyroid tumors are common in cats. Ask lots of questions. Best of
luck. MLB